THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh yeah...  (Read 7587 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Oh yeah...
« on: 18 Apr 2005, 02:45 »

finally got my wish. got me a factory-quality boxed copy of Baldur's Gate 2 for £5 last night, off eBay.

why the hell I couln't find the tdamn game in the shops, I will never understand. Loads of people want to buy it, but nowhere bloody stocks it any longer.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

nihilist

Oh yeah...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 07:48 »

Stores around here aren't large enough to carry older games, sadly.  Also, game publishers stop pushing out most titles after a while.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Oh yeah...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2005, 15:11 »

True dat. but what I don't get is the logic that will put fifty copies of "Barbie's Riding School" in each store, but refuse to give them any replacement copys of BG2:SoA even when they fly off the shelves almost as soon as they arrive.

nihilist

Oh yeah...
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2005, 19:28 »

Gaming is no longer about the gamers, or the developers, but about the big business around it.  When companies run it, they look at the bottom line, and only that.  Apparently they feel that Barbie games will be worth more to them than BG.

AbsolootGeek

Oh yeah...
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:04 »

Which is just bonified bullplop.  Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.  I can't even count the number of times I went back and played it again, with so many mods/addons being made constantly.

nihilist

Oh yeah...
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:08 »

I'm not saing I agree with it.  Soldier of Fortune 2 could have been huge, but because the developer had a limited roadmap for it ("We'll release three patches, and that's that."), the game had a limited shelf life.  The second the develper or publisher do things like that, things just die.  Sucks.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Oh yeah...
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2005, 16:22 »

it arrived! I promptly loaded it up, started to play... and then realised I'd forgotten a lot about the game.

I'd forgotten how steep the difficulty curve is, for a start. I'd also forgotten that the AC rules are reversed compared to what I'm used to. in BG2, a lower AC is good. I'd forgotten that.

I'd also forgotten just how wimpy the party is when they start out. level 7 should = tough. instead, you face off against hardcore ninja goblins who can actually do some damage to you if you let them.

I've also forgotten how to spontaneously cast cure spells. or even if you can.

I hope you can. clerics are so much mroe powerful when you don't have to load out half their spell slots with cure spells.

nihilist

Oh yeah...
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2005, 06:49 »

Hehe, sounds like you're in for a fun time.  :)

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Oh yeah...
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2005, 07:16 »

Even large warehouse stores like Frye's aren't going to waste shelf space on such an old low margin (no margin?) game.  The internet was made for finding such games though.  ;)

If you like Baldur's Gate then you'll love Neverwinder Nights Platinium Edition which is starting to hit the discount racks now.  We've still got a year before NWN 2 is released so you can still get plenty of use out of it plus there are tons of free modules, mods, online worlds, etc for it.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Oh yeah...
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:14 »

I've purchased two copies of NwN - the second one with both expansion packs - and it JUST WON'T FUCKING WORK on my computer.

seriously, I can get about five minutes into the game before some kind of major glitch happens and the computer either resets itself or gives me a blue screen of death.

I've tried everything I can think of, and I just cannot get NwN, in any shape or form, to run on my computer.

is it incompatible with Windows XP or something crazy like that? the computer runs on a P4 3.4 Ghz and blows away all of the game's specs by a marathon, yet it just refuse to work acceptably, or at all.

I'm completely at a loss to why this could be. aany ideas?

ASturge

Oh yeah...
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2005, 11:26 »

all i can say to this conversation is Fallout 1 and Fallout 2

Sideways

Oh yeah...
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:41 »

I saw the topic of 'Oh Yeah' and it reminded me of this recent 'AppleGeeks' comic:

Funny stuff.

Nice work on getting Baldur's Gate so cheap.  EBay rocks!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Oh yeah...
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2005, 08:45 »

Quote from: ASturge
all i can say to this conversation is Fallout 1 and Fallout 2

only ever played number 1, but I love it to bits. Can't find F2 anywhere.

What kind of character do you have? Mine's this ultra-accurate dude. We're talking 95% chance of hitting a targetted shot aimed at the eyes from the other side of the area. I use that really cool pistol that uses sniper rifle ammunition, and hardened power armour. Plus a power fist in backup.

I think of him as being a bit like a WH40K terminator - bad ass gun in one hand, crushing fist of doom in the other. A heavy flamer as well, for delightful burninating purposes. Plus as many stimpacks as I can get my sweaty paws on.

Mockery

Oh yeah...
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2005, 09:27 »

Fallout 2 is alot better to play, I think. It's smarter.
For starters, new items go to the TOP of your inventory instead of the bottom.
Plus, there's New Reno! What a den of iniquity. Funny, funny place.
That said, I'm pretty sure your sidekicks are just as dumb... If you'd like, I could possibly upload an ISO of it to yousendit.com (606MB) PM me...
I definitely recommend playing it.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Oh yeah...
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2005, 10:27 »

Eh... if my dial-up connection was capable of handling more than about the measly 3 kilobits per second tat it's actually up to, I'd take you up on that offer.

my folks really should hurry up and get broadband...

Mockery

Oh yeah...
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2005, 10:30 »

yes, they should.
broadband is actually almost cheaper if you find the right ISP.
plus you can use VoIP
unfortunately my impulsive housemate signed us up to a rip-off contract before I had a chance to shop around properly.
I was going for an 8Mbps connection with bundled home 'phone and great customer service, instead we're now stuck with 512K for about twice the price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up