THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft: Official thread  (Read 93723 times)

Phobos

World of Warcraft: Official thread
« Reply #50 on: 05 Jan 2005, 20:05 »

AGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

After 10 hours of working on my computer and being on hold or talking with dumbass Comcast reps, I finally get my internet working, only to drive around town to EVERY SINGLE STORE looking for World of Warcraft and then find out that EVERYONE IS SOLD OUT!!!!!

AGH.

(Edit: In order to get the game, I have ordered it Next Day delivery from *shudder* Dell.)

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #51 on: 06 Jan 2005, 10:43 »

This thread is in despirate need of screenshots !
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Phobos

« Reply #52 on: 06 Jan 2005, 10:51 »

Next Day delivery from Dell... BACKORDERED.  Expected delivery date: March 03, 2005.

CANCELLED.  Is this a sign that I shouldn't play WoW?

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #53 on: 06 Jan 2005, 12:13 »

It's a sign that you need to try harder !

Phobos

« Reply #54 on: 06 Jan 2005, 20:24 »

I just ordered a copy from Blizzard's online store.  I wish I had known it existed earlier... I hope they have their own game in stock.

Mnementh

« Reply #55 on: 06 Jan 2005, 23:21 »

A bunch of my friends left whisperwind because of the lag and relocated to Terenas.

I have a gnomish rogue there, lvl 12, named Kohoutek.  Look me up.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #56 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:06 »

The Lag you speak of is happening to all servers due to the post-christmas rush they experienced.  Switching to another server will not fix the problem.

They seem to have fixed it on the DoomHammer server I play on after they took it down for a couple hours yesterday.  They plan to do the same maintenance to the rest of the game servers, and they do them in batches of about 10 servers at a time.  I was lucky that mine was in the first batch of 10.

As far as ordering the game direct from Blizzard, good luck.  The reason there are no copies in stores is that Blizzard is not producing any more till they get more servers online to handle the influx of players.  If they aren't distributing them to stores for that reason, I doubt they will sell them from their store for the same reason.

I commend Blizzard for not accepting more money in the name of keeping the game playable for everyone.

Phobos

« Reply #57 on: 07 Jan 2005, 13:43 »

They should put that on the order page then, if they tell me they won't ship it to me, I'll just cancel.

That's pretty weak though.  I mean, yeah, it's a good idea because then people don't buy a game which they can't play, but the situation is still shitty.  Anyone know what the average player count per server is?  I'd think they would have made enough money by everyone in the known universe buying their game to be able to upgrade all their servers sufficiently.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jan 2005, 13:48 »

They are in the process of adding more servers and upgrading their current servers, which is why they are having lag/disconnect issues.

Problem is they hit a brick wall where new people who sign up, are joining the servers that are already overpopulated, rather than the new, empty, servers because they want to play with their friends.  Blizzard is having trouble convincing people to move to all these new servers they built.  Currently they are working on a way to allow users to move their existing character from one of the overpopulated servers to a new, empty one, but they are having some issues with it, so they have not allowed anyone to do it yet.

I guarantee once they allow people to move their characters to less populated servers, the problem will be solved, and they will start distributing new copies of the software again.

Phobos

« Reply #59 on: 07 Jan 2005, 19:53 »

That's cool, I've never known a MMO company to actually want to help you transfer your characters...

I wonder why they just don't set max users to each server, and make it so you can't even connect to that server and create a character if you don't already have one on it.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jan 2005, 06:51 »

SE transferred nearly 10,000 players to three new worlds from the existing ones after the Euro release of the game.

Anyway. After reading all this, This game looks like it would be worth buying and playing if I was going to have any time.  But as it is I would only be able to play on the weekends, for a few hours at a time.. so I'll stick to FFXI for the time being.. unless I manage to get a computer that will play WoW, and internet in my dorm..  Not likely.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #61 on: 08 Jan 2005, 10:17 »

The only place I ever run into any lag is Ironforge, but that may be because at level 31 I tend to hunt in less populated areas.

Turns out Vaitork and I are in the same guild now! I'll have to post a screencap or two one of these days.

UPDATE:  

UNF
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #62 on: 08 Jan 2005, 20:32 »

i'm in the same guild now, too.  hoorays!

Phrozen

« Reply #63 on: 09 Jan 2005, 17:00 »

is anyone on here as geeky as me and play on the RP servers? I'm just wondering since I play on Feathermoon. Oh and I'd have some screenies but a serious lack of hosting finds me incapable of posting them.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jan 2005, 19:42 »

i don't know about being geeky enough to RP, but i sure am playing like, 5 different characters up to about lvl 20 (at least) in order to set up my own little alt-character crafting sweatshop, using the mail system to courier things back and forth.

Mage = Tailor (95) / Enchanter (5)
Rogue = Mining (75) / Engineering (115)
Warrior = Mining (~50) / Blacksmithing (~60)
Hunter = Skinning (75) / Leatherworking (57)
Warlock?* = Herbalism () / Alchemy ()

haven't actually started the Herbalist/Alchemist character yet.  trying to decide if i want it to be an Undead or Gnome Warlock, a Night-Elf Druid, or a Tauren Shaman.  each has it's own merits.  for example, the Gnome Warlock will be in an area i know well.  the Tauren will have a bonus to herbalism, and  i know that the area around the Night-Elves is very herb-rich, even at lower levels.

that said, though, the idea of an Undead Warlock sure does strike me as awesome.  i've already made an Undead Warlock named "Sid".  he's got a big green mohawk.  he's so hardcore.

captainawesome

« Reply #65 on: 09 Jan 2005, 19:51 »

I just got the game a couple days ago.  I have a lvl 10 Dwarven Rogue on shattered hand, Nuairc.  Unfortunately, I'm not a huge gamer, so i have little to no experience with MMORPGs, so I'm still getting accostumed to things.

Rogues are fun, though.  And sneaky.

Mage_Man

« Reply #66 on: 09 Jan 2005, 23:14 »

Joined the guild I wanted to be in today. Woot = ) Now only if I knew how to turn guild chat off. 80 people online at once and an argument breaks out really hurts paying attention to other things.

26 Human Warlock now. Only if I could buy my new spells. = (

Phrozen

« Reply #67 on: 10 Jan 2005, 03:24 »

sounds like your guild sucks. try the command /leave guild maybe?

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #68 on: 10 Jan 2005, 12:49 »

Just hit Lvl 41 the other day.  And lemme tell you, it is funny as hell when someone sets their character to follow me, so I find the nearest HUGE cliff to jump off of, and I land safely and watch them die.  :D  (For those who don't know, Rogues get an ability at Lvl 40 called Safe Fall that is a HUGE reduction in damage from falling.)

I am also getting used to my cool Rogue stuff like Thistle Tea and Flash powder.  They rock so hard core !  I really should try out my blinding powder some time, I just keep forgetting it exists.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jan 2005, 13:02 »

it's funny.  i can feel my rogue getting more powerful, while i feel my mage getting less so.

i'm going to keep both of them up, though.  see how things go.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jan 2005, 13:14 »

I noticed as the game goes on, My rogue gets more "soloable" while mages get more "groupable"...

I have had to put all my talent points into Combat specs just to make my rogue work in a group (at least one that isn't comprised entirely of rogues).

If I was entirely solo, I would be putting more into Assassination and Subtlety so I could sneak up on people, but against mobs, that stuff only works once or twice in a battle, and you end up falling back on pure damage.

If I was doing PvP I might do more of a stealth-ish rogue.

On the other hand, Mages get more groupable because if they try to solo, their lack of armour against increasingly tough enemies becomes more and more of a hinderance, but with a group, they can dish out a ton of damage and have someone back them up when a mob comes after them.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jan 2005, 14:07 »

I've been dumping the majority of my talent points into Combat and Subtlety, with a few in the first tier of Assassination just to get some of the little bonuses it provides. FINALLY got around to finishing the poisons quest the other day and I'm really loving how well Instant Poison works on a pair of 18.5 DPS daggers.

I've definitely noticed the same thing as 3Z3VH. At level 32 I can pretty much handle any single enemy within 3-4 levels of me with ease, but any more than 2 lvl 30-32 critters on me at one time spells trouble. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but it gets tricky when you're trying to solo Syndicate patrol groups...

Jesus. I'm an addict.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jan 2005, 14:38 »

It is nice grouping up with a good mage though, because he can damage a LOT of mobs at once, while I am still stuck with one at a time, MAYBE two when I use my Blade Flurry.

Oh, and I second your opinion on poisons Jeph !  Poisons are teh win !

I even customize the poisons I use depending on what I am fighting.  If I am fighting large groups of lower level stuff, I tend to use Instant Poison on one blade to cause a lot of damage all at once, and Crippling poison on the other so when they get low on health and try to run, they don't get very far, so they can't call in their buddies for help.. but when I fight Elites or big boss guys, I use my Deadly Poisons because I get more damage out of them (They even stack up to five times on the same target !!!!) and Mind-Numbing poison if they are a caster so they lose their main offense by having it take twice as long to cast, making all my hits knock them even FURTHER back in their channeling attempts.  I can kill casters like nothing when I toss that stuff on my blades :)

On a side-note... not a day goes by that someone doesn't ask "OMFG What weapon is that ?!?!" referring to my blades that glow blue from the Striking enchant my friend put on them :)  It seems noone uses Fist-Weapons...

I love being unique :)

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:13 »

Last night I got Haeze up to 42, and started training up his skill in Bows.  Amazing how I can Crit for almost 320 damage with it when it has a lower damage score than my gun that crits for the same.

I am knocking out these Stranglethorn Vale quests like nothing.  I think I was supposed to head down there about 3 or 4 levels ago, but oh well ;)

Has anyone else seen the Gnomish Shrink Ray in action ?  I just built one and it has to be the funniest thing ever !  I am shrinking the bad guys to like 1/3 their original size before I fight them :D

I also built my Gnomish Mind Control Cap, and Gnomish Rocket Boots.  The Mind Control Cap basically makes any humanoid my pet for about 30 seconds.  Hehe.  The Rocket Boots have been disappointing so far... the first time I tried to use them they fizzled out like a second after I started running.  I will have to try them again tonight.

And I must say, now that Haeze has a full set of Nightscape Armour, he looks bad-ass (And is now up to 200 Agility !) !!!!  I will post screenshots of my new stylish look :D

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #74 on: 11 Jan 2005, 15:09 »

I forgot to tell the coolest story of all !  Hehe

Last night, while down in Stranglethorn, I was on the beach south of Booty Bay killing Bloodsail Buccaneers (Level 43 Mobs) when these two TaurenDruids (Level 43 and 45) start coming over and stealing my kills, and just being jerks in general... So I go to the more northern camp on that beach and they follow to kill all the mobs there before I can, and I make sure to spend enough time there to let the entire south camp respawn (Like 12 of these Level 43 Mobs).  When I head back down to the south camp, they start killing a mob that I aggro so they can steal the kill, so I hit Sprint (makes me run really fast) and Evade (Makes it so the enemies can't hit me) and went and aggroed the ENTIRE camp... like 10 Level 43 mages and buccaneers following me, I stop right near the Tauren, who are laughing at me for getting my ass beat up, then suddenly I hit my Flash Powder (makes me completely invisible).  All of a sudden all 10 of these Bloodsails are attacking these two Druids all at once, and I stand back and watch them both get flattened :D

So one respawns and Ressurects his friend (Druids can resurrect another player once every half hour) so his friend doesn't have to make the 10 minute walk from the graveyard (Which is forever in terms of the game).  They get all huffy about it and stuff while I just /laugh at them.  So they start stealing my kills again, and I do it to them AGAIN, only this time he can't resurrect his friend because he already used it.  After doing that to them the third time they just left the beach.  I consider it a small victory for the Alliance :D

Vaitork

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jan 2005, 15:46 »

I can't upload the raid our guild did one of these nights :( my hosting site is having hacking problems right now.. shame.. i had some Aquinas screenshots in there wearing his new tabard ^^ you should see him! He's all pro and everything. Addict? Aren't we all? ;)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #76 on: 11 Jan 2005, 16:18 »

Haeze: that's fucking awesome.  if you'd done that without provocation then it'd be pretty lame, but doing it in response to them being jerks is pretty cool.

vai: i so want in on the next raid.  the last one was fun, but i arrived way too late to do anything decent.  i was /duelled by one of our guild afterwards (lvl 23 paladin) when we were sitting about, but got stomped because i didn't really know wtf was going on (it was my first duel.  need to practice more methinks)

Phobos

« Reply #77 on: 11 Jan 2005, 22:00 »

Good news and bad news.  

For those looking to buy WoW, Blizzard is still selling it themselves.  My copy would have arrived today, in fact I have the UPS slip for it, had I not been at school filming a project (they came by after 5:15PM).  Tommarow I probably won't get it either, since I have to be in class from 10 until 5, and those are the exact times they expect to stop by from.

I may come home during one of my breaks and hope they come by during that time period.  Doubtful though.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #78 on: 11 Jan 2005, 23:41 »

Quote from: est
i was /duelled by one of our guild afterwards (lvl 23 paladin) when we were sitting about, but got stomped because i didn't really know wtf was going on (it was my first duel.  need to practice more methinks)

Paladins are tough. I got my lvl 31 ass handed to me by a lvl 27 pally. Also Fynx beat the snot out of me. Of course, now that I have decent poisons I might stand more of a chance.

Vaitork

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jan 2005, 06:13 »

I'm definitely a healer and general soloing class. Druids are not a huge hitter, a huge tank or have a huge proficiency at something. They're just fun to play and challenging to master from a strategic point of view. Most of my duels are lost time tho, since Rogues rape me before I get to half their HP, Pallys are TOO GODDAMN OVERPOWERED (they are SO going to cry after their nerfing) and hunters always take their pets to the fights ¬¬ i mean, what's the point of dueling if you have your pet with you??

Anyway, i'm about to hit lvl30 and be a decent fighting machine. I'm getting VERY attractive leatherworking recipes :D basically im my own armorer at this point, and you just gotta love the help from your fellow guildies..

Gosh, after reading this again i remember that Warcraft 3 silly response (the ones that sound after you click a unit too much):

"Hi, my name is Rob and I'm addicted to Warcraft" "Hi, Rob!"

Mnementh

« Reply #80 on: 12 Jan 2005, 08:01 »

Just a heads up if anyone missed it, all the game servers are going to be down for 16 hours starting Thursday at 4AM PST

(Maybe they'll do some patching and balance out the classes a bit.)

Quote from: Goatsquirrel
Patch notes (I'd like to see):
-Warriors will always hold aggro over mages
[gets killed by a gnoll]

Seriously.  Anyway, this means you can't play tomorrow night so you can go hang out in Noho and meet Jeph, rstevens, and the teenage millioniare psychopath (I read the first half of that book while smashed on New Years Eve waiting around for people in my friends apartment, hilarity.).

Phobos

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jan 2005, 16:37 »

I GOT IT!

I came home between classes and they actually stopped by!  What sucks is I only have a few hours before the servers go down =(

They also delivered my violin.  Which I proceeded to break 2 of the strings within 15 minutes.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jan 2005, 18:44 »

Handy tip: make sure your character is in a city before you log off for the 16-hour server fixin'. It's basically free extra experience from the Rested status!

At level 33, suddenly I have a plethora of different places to quest and explore in. Currently I can't decide if Desolace or Stranglethorn Vale is more lucrative. SV is certainly more convenient as I'm based out of Ironforge, but the quests in Desolace have been pretty fun and easy so far.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #83 on: 12 Jan 2005, 19:01 »

also: just something that i've figured out (while talking to another dude here at work who plays) is that if you are a tradeskill fiend like me, and are thinking abuot setting up a number of alternate characters to dabble in all of the professions, think about setting up your main character as the skinner/miner of the group.

think about it.  you'll need the highest level dude getting the skins from the highest level mobs you kill.  also, the higher level metals are generally in the higher level areas.

at last thought, i'm thinking of playing both my Rogue and my Mage as mains fairly evenly until i get sick of one or both.  my Rogue has some catching up to do, but he'll get there.  my Rogue will be a miner/engineer, and my Mage will be a Miner/Skinner.

at this point you may be asking "why two miners and not a Herbalist/Skinner?".  that's a pretty good question, actually.  but i'm making my Warlock my Herbalist/Alchemist, and they can hold their own pretty well anyway.  also, i'm not all that interested in Herbalism/Alchemy, so i'll probably only take it up to mid-level.

also, i need my two mains to both be miners because whenever you see an ore deposit you should really jump on it, seeing as every other fucker out there is trying to mine it to make l33t arm0rz.  i have two hungry mouths to feed (my Engineer and my Blacksmith) so i'll need all the help bringing home the bacon (metal) that i can get.

at last thought, i figure it will look like:

Mage : Skinning, Mining
Rogue : Mining, Engineering
Warrior : Blacksmithing, Enchanting
Hunter : Tailoring, Leatherwork
Warlock : Herbalism, Alchemy

anyone see anything wrong with this, or can think of anything that will make this more efficient? (ie: if you know of profession interelations that i've overlooked that will help me out).  the only thing i can maybe think of is putting my Tailor and my Enchanter onto the same toon so that i can make cheap green things like Brown Linen Robes to disenchant.  not quite sure how important the low-level stuff that i get out of that kind of thing is to Enchanting, though.  so maybe it'll cease being a benefit rather early on in the piece?  don't know.  i do know that Tailoring and Leatherwork have a fair bit of shared materials, though.  so at this point my config looks like the best mix to save on postage costs.

one last thing: don't mix mining and herbalism.  remember that these both have "find..." abilities, and it'd get annoying/busy with all those dots over the screen.  my hunter is a dwarf, so i'm imagining what a minimap would look like if i were tracking something in a herb/ore-rich area with treasure about.  dots aplenty :D

Phobos

« Reply #84 on: 13 Jan 2005, 02:29 »

I'm on Illidan, but it doesn't have that server listed for the ones going down tommarow for an extended time on the login screen...

Here's the list of the 16 hour ones:

Kil'Jaeden
Bonechewer
Kilrogg
Cenarion Circle
Lightbringer
Cenarius
Nathrezim
Deathwing
Ner'zhul
Destromath
Proudmoore
Dethecus
Shadowsong
Doomhammer
Silver Hand
Dragonmaw
Silvermoon
Frostwolf
Spinebreaker
Gorgonnash
Terenas
Hyjal
Tichondrius
Icecrown
Uther
Kel'Thuzad
Windrunner

I guess the rest will be back up at 8AM.

Trav

« Reply #85 on: 13 Jan 2005, 18:36 »

I just got the game yesterday. I'm currently playing on shadowsong with an IRL mate.

I've got a Lvl 6 human paladin, but getting used to the game is a bit weird (espically when i can't play it!)

So far so good tho, looking forward to leveling and exploring the world!

Vaitork

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #86 on: 13 Jan 2005, 19:46 »

I'm scared.. I'm actually making friends there.. as in.. real life, you know? And and.. oh God.. *sigh*

This game will be the end of me. Period.

Phobos

« Reply #87 on: 13 Jan 2005, 20:20 »

The game is cool, the population sucks.  I filled up my ignore list on the first day, and then just decided to unsubscribe to all the channels.  

I'm also in my first queue.  Before I hadn't had any problem logging in.  But looks like it'll only take a few minutes.  It sucks, but it's not like it's a 30 minute wait.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #88 on: 13 Jan 2005, 21:58 »

Quote from: Vaitork
I'm scared.. I'm actually making friends there...

Our guild is pretty awesome!

Hit level 34 tonight, might hit 35 tomorrow or Saturday. I am starting to get some truly tough-looking armor now.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #89 on: 14 Jan 2005, 04:07 »

expect me to never hit 30 with any of my characters at this rate.  i am seriously attempting to run 5 characters concurrently right now.  i plan on having my three minor alts (hunter, warrior, warlock) to 10, my rogue to 15 and my mage to 24 by the end of this weekend.

i predict i'll hit 10 with the minors (warrior is already 10, hunter is maybe 5 kills off it, and warlock is lvl 6, but is so easy to play) and maybe i'll hit 15 with the rogue (he's 14 right now) but my mage is 22, and i doubt he'll end up any higher than that this weekend, as i have work tomorrow (bleh) then i'm out with the guys on saturday night & will spend most of sunday recovering.

Trav

« Reply #90 on: 14 Jan 2005, 09:29 »

*adds lvl 9 night elf rouge to the list of characters*

She is my fav now. Fast, dedly and sexy. But im saving level 10 and dule knives untill tomorrow night :) Give myself something to look forward to.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #91 on: 14 Jan 2005, 11:41 »

Quote from: est
...anyone see anything wrong with this, or can think of anything that will make this more efficient?

...my hunter is a dwarf, so i'm imagining what a minimap would look like if i were tracking something in a herb/ore-rich area with treasure about.  dots aplenty :D

More efficient ?  Join a guild of awesome people who play the game for fun, not as a one-up thing.  I am in a guild on Doomhammer called Conspirators that is made up of a bunch of people from here in Colorado and we have LANs all the time and stuff.  It is more efficient because all we do is send mail to the person who specializes in the skill we need saying "Hey Grumpy, I need 60 Thick Leather" and the next day I have 60 Thick leather in my mailbox... on the flip side, if anyone needs ore, gems, guns, dynamite, scopes, etc from me, I give it to them.  No exchanging of money or anything for it, we just understand that what you need is provided, and what you have should be shared.  Our Enchanter at one point had to tell us to STOP sending him all the green items we collected that noone in the guild needed because he had no more room for them all.  Every person in our guild is hooked up with glowing weapons, armor kits, crafted armour, etc and we consistently stay at armour and weapons that are VERY close to our levels.  It works great !

And you can only track one thing at a time.  So having Herbalism/Mining/Treasure Finding will only net one of the above skills at a time.  You cannot search for herbs and ore and treasure at the same time.

----------------------------------------

Also, Aquinas/Jeph.  You NEED to pick up the Nightscape set when you get to the appropriate levels !  Each piece has a minimum of +12 Agility !  I had my guild mate make me a full set of Nightscape armour and my agility is currently at 210 !  I am now critting with my Eviscerate for 850dmg in one shot !

As for a suggestion on where you should go ?  Stranglethorn all the way.  There are a MILLION quests down there, I get a minimum of a green item every 30 mins or so dropping from the mobs there, and it is awesome to watch all the PvP stuff going down in the Arena, and in the zone itself from people getting angry at the other side !  Sooo much fun.

-------------------------------------------

And Est, it doesn't take provocation for me to want to piss off Horde players.  We are enemies for a reason :)  Even if they weren't being jerks I would have done it.  But if they were Alliance I would have helped them any way I could.

----------------------------------------------

And yeah, I finally had to retire the blades for the next 5 levels or so....  A Level 30 weapon at Level 43, even with it's enchantments were just no longer feasible.  Cool part is, though, that I got a Blue daggar called The Ziggler as a drop of random guys in a cave in Stranglethorn, and I picked up an even better, similar daggar by doing quests in The Scarlet Monastery, so I am dual-weilding two Blue Daggars that are Lvl 39 already with my Lvl 43 Rogue.  Anyone who plays a lot knows that is nearly unheard of unless you are grinding for items.  These daggars are awesome because they are really fast, and each have a chance to hit of about 20-30 instant damage... just like a built in poison... PLUS I add my poisons to them... with their speed it just makes me toss more poison on the guy I am fighting.  That is why I am going to make my character a poison rogue.  Once I get to 50 I will be picking up a Vilerend Slicer (Blue blades) and a Bloodfist (Blue Fist) that do the same, but are even faster than these daggars, and I will pison the living hell out of everything ! :D

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #92 on: 14 Jan 2005, 18:38 »

Haeze, are you going BS or Combat rogue?  i think that Jeph is going Assassin/Subtlety, but i'm thinking that my Rogue will be Assassin/Combat.  sneaking up on people and getting stabby with it from the shadows seems cool & all, but straight combat with a little sneaking here and there (mostly for travel) just seems to suit my playstyle better.  because of this, i figure i'll be a Sword/Mace kinda dude & use SS alot instead of BS.

Phobos

« Reply #93 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:16 »

Every quest in WoW I've seen to date:

"This quest is very urgent!  You must travel North/West/East/South and spawn camp the lowest level monsters you can find.  There you will compete with 10 other players, all of whom are 20+ levels above you.  You must collect, 100 pointless items and return them to me, even though they only spawn on 1 out of every 10 monsters.  When you have done this, you will receive a great reward!  It shall consist of:  1/20th of the experience needed to level, no money, and an item that you either cannot use or have no use for.  Go quickly now!"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #94 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:54 »

and this is diffferent from every other MMORPG quest system how?  i can tell you how: it's played in a game that is fun to play, even if you get killed alot, and the experience you get back is actually not as bad as you say it is.

this is not a thread for dumping on WoW.  it is a thread for people who like and are playing/will play WoW.  if you want to complain about WoW then please do it in another thread.

also: i forgot to say, Haeze, that i am a tradeskill freak.  it's not like i am doing it out of necessity, it's just that i want to be fluent in them all & to be able to make bunches of cool stuff by myself.  that might sound masochistic, but it's one way that i am having fun in the game :)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #95 on: 15 Jan 2005, 13:10 »

Where do you pick up quests in SV anyway? I've been down to Booty Bay and stuff but never see anything available (at level 34 at least).

I'm definitely looking forward to the Nightscape stuff when I hit that level. I'd KILL for a blue dagger or two that I could actually use, but I spend so little time in instance dungeons that I never get the drops. Ah well.

Est: I'm actually a Combat/Subtlety rogue right now, and quite enjoying it. One thing I'd recommend is to stick with daggers, at least in your main hand- Ambush and Backstab are truly awe-inspiring damage and you can't do them with a sword.

Another handy thing for Rogues is to train in guns or bows. They have much better range and damage than your standard throwing knives when it comes to pulling enemies. On the other hand, the higher level I get the less actual pulling I do- now I usually just sneak up behind someone and either Cheap Shot or Ambush them.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #96 on: 15 Jan 2005, 13:54 »

my rogue has Guns, because he is an engineer & makes his own (+ scopes & crafted shot) plus for all other of my characters that can use them.

as for daggers vs other, SS goes off the max damage of your main hand weapon.  i'm gonna be mainly using SS, so i'll probably get a better sustained damage output with a decent sword.

but this is just from me soloing, so maybe once i start teaming up with people, either pickup groups or with the guild, i'll change my outlook :)

Phobos

« Reply #97 on: 15 Jan 2005, 14:10 »

Est:  Cry about it.  Please.  To answer your question though, AO has unique instances for missions, so you never have to camp to complete it.

15 Dwarf Rogue / Archer, Illidan.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #98 on: 15 Jan 2005, 14:32 »

cry about what?  i wasn't the one complaining about WoW, you were.  in fact, i was saying that we have it alot better off than most MMORPGs in that department, sorry if i said it in a confusing manner.

Phobos

« Reply #99 on: 15 Jan 2005, 16:33 »

Then forgive me, I wasn't aware that Blizzard had been declared a fascist state and criticizing anything they might do was illegal.  I'm sorry you can't take it, but no body is forcing you to read my posts.  Call me when they put on the eyeclips and straight jacket.

I haven't encountered this in other MMORPGs.  Not people camping spawns lower than them.  Higher, sure, but I don't recall ever seeing anywhere else a level 22 camping a level 10 spawn.  It seems wrong.  Especially for quests.  AO isn't the only MMORPG I've played where it wasn't like this.  I don't remember anyone doing the quests in UO, because it wasn't necessary.  As I recall, Planetside doesn't even have quests.   DAoC has quests, but most of the time I was killing shit that was at least my level.  Same applied to SB.  

Don't go getting all pissed off and posting in your blog about it, I'm not insulting your mother, and I'm not even saying WoW is the shittiest game on the planet.  Right now, I'd say it's the best MMO available.  I like it.  But this is frustrating.  I do it too, so I'm not just blaming the other people who do it.  A quest that has mobs four-levels below me will yield better rewards and XP than going out and solo-ing equal level monsters right now.  It's not that I can't kill monsters my own level, I can kill ones above me, but doing the quests is faster.  I don't think it should be like that, I think going out and solo-ing should be just as fruitful as doing quests that are below you.  The item spawning thing is a pain also, if they spawned more frequently it would make it quite a bit easier.

Just because you like something doesn't mean you can't criticize it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up