THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncanny Valley..  (Read 4648 times)

Ben

• Larger than most fish
Uncanny Valley..
« on: 01 Jun 2014, 04:15 »

Just found InfoDump#8, interesting reading.

Following the various links, I see  Momo actually has articulation seams at the shoulders (seen when she has a shower and is walking around in a towel). The neck seam comes and goes, so it seems fair to infer she has seams at the hips as well. Hanners plays with her squeaky skin, and Claire's brother remarks on her skin as well. InfoDump #8 doesn't answer the question, but implies fairly clearly that she covers herself because she perceives it as a "human" thing to do.

I've seen suggestions she is "anatomically correct" but I can't see anywhere that actually states this, it seems to be an extrapolation of the "live eels" throwaway joke when she first appeared.

So it seems as though she would look much like one of those Japanese animated figures?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Uncanny Valley..
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2014, 09:51 »

It's a logical question but one that Jeph refuses to answer because it creeps him out.

I came to the same conclusion as Ben about the towel. Either it's because of her need for human dignity or because her social protocol database insisted.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2014, 22:48 »

Either it's because of her need for human dignity or because her social protocol database insisted.

I'd say in Momo's case, a little of both. For May now - she mooned Faye with no hesitation, so I can't see her having protocol OR dignity issues.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2014, 07:56 »

Well really, why do humans use towels except because of their social protocol database?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2014, 08:05 »

Why do humans take showers? If I could unzip my skin and run it through the dishwasher I'd seriously consider it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2014, 08:15 »

I find showers to be relaxing.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2014, 09:20 »

Why do humans take showers?

Because you can't unzip your skin and run it through the dishwasher?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jun 2014, 14:47 »

Well, one could try.  However, the process would be rather terminal.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jun 2014, 15:35 »

Just ask Ed Gein.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jun 2014, 19:49 »

The first Momo chassis had some sort of eel dispenser.  In accordance with the Claire Code I cannot speculate as to where that was.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2014, 20:53 »

I'm more curious as to how the eels are fed and kept alive in that tiny chassis than what orifice they emerge from.  Hell, even current Momo doesn't really have enough internal space to keep any eels of decent size inside.  Maybe it was more of a tank of elvers than full eels.

Edit:  Fixed typo
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2014, 21:41 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2014, 21:31 »

I'm more curious as to how the eels are fed and kept alive in that tiny chassis than what orifice they emerge from.  Hell, even current Momo doesn't really have enough eternal space to keep any eels of decent size inside.  Maybe it was more of a tank of elvers than full eels.
Maybe she have the capability to shoot living eels but for that she have to be loaded with living eels first.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jun 2014, 21:42 »

Welll, before she got her new chassis, when filling out that job application, she did list "eel-handling" as a skill.  Presumably, they'd be live eels, since dealing with dead ones isn't that difficult.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jun 2014, 02:14 »

I mean that she can shoot living eels but she don't keep them with her all the time.

If you give her a bunch of living eels she can shoot them but this doesn't means that she will keep loving eels indefinitely.

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jun 2014, 03:42 »

Either it's because of her need for human dignity or because her social protocol database insisted.

I'd say in Momo's case, a little of both. For May now - she mooned Faye with no hesitation, so I can't see her having protocol OR dignity issues.

May is deliberately offensive whenever she sees fit. It's interesting that Faye has no qualms about being rude in return.
I can't recall Faye actually speaking to Momo, either. I think it can be assumed that Momo-tan didn't carry eels on any regular basis.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:14 »

Single-shot. No magazine or clip. Cumbersome to operate, but simple to maintain.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up