THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban Fantasy RP thread? (Like mafia, but fae and stuff)  (Read 8169 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Modern fantasy world

Is any one up to do a new forum roleplay thread with a modern/urban fantasy feel? Magic is real, humans, monsters, celestials, infernals and everything in between all live together in relative harmony making up the basic setting. I don't have a serious plot in mind, but there's a lot of options here. Some organizations that populate this world include:

Infernal Disposal Services (IDS) - An Organization tasked with dealing with and containing emergencies of a Daemonic nature on Earth. The Immigration Department is in charge of monitoring Immigrants from Hell and detecting Illegal Immigrants from Hell.
Department of Celestial Relations (DCR) - In charge of the often exceedingly complicated national relations with being from the Celestial Plain.
Immortal and Metaphysical Law Council (IMLC) - An Organization helped to aid citizens in seeking legal recompense against entities and events that fall outside of the purview of normal mortal law.
Magical Emergency Tacticals (METS) - SWAT Team for Magical Shit Gone Wrong.
MYSTERY - Online organization of whistleblowers and conspiracy theorists trying to bust through abuse of illusions and concealment.
Devilwatch - A American Based PMC that does mercenary work in hell, fighting on the side of The Nameless One, a major U.S. ally in the Abyss. One of the major perks of being a Devilwatch merc is at the end of your tour if you've found a demonic girlfriend or boyfriend the U.S. will grant them a green card.
Draconic Council - Current leadership of the People's Republic of China, no one's sure if they're actually dragons or not, but probably.
Magician's guilds - Various guilds specializing in different magical schools. Typically the general population's first stop in answering any magic related questions.

Some major powers:
Zom - One of the many chaos gods.
Brosideon - Started as a series of terrible puns, but wasn't long till someone actually started believing him (also the result of a joke) and is now the the Bro god of the sea. Covers general brodom and booze.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I'm game, though I've never played a mafia before.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I'm interested so far, though unless fae stands for Fate Accelerated Edition, I have no idea what you mean there.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Fae is another word for the Fairy folk. Dryads, satyr, pixies, etc and so forth up to Queen Mab (styled the Queen of Air and Darkness, the queen of the Unseelie Fae) and Queen Tatiana the queen of the Seelie Fae (aka the Winter Queen and Summer Queen respectively)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Ah, okay that fae. I thought that was a possibility, but then didn't see fairies/pixies mentioned explicitly in the main post, so I assumed it had to be something else. That's what I get for using such a narrow definition of the word.

So this is just generic, freeform RP or will there actual gameplay mechanics involved?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Queen Tatiana the queen of the Seelie Fae
Don't you mean Titania?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Whoops. Typoed.

And I was gonna go freeform, but if everyone wants to do some basic mechanics we could.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I'm good with freeform. So I'm imagining this is gonna be in much the same vein as the Dresden Files or Shadow Run then?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I'm keen for this. Been a long time since I've done an RP, but I'm sure I'll pick it up as I go along
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

If it's just role playing you're into, you may be interested in this thread.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I'm good with freeform. So I'm imagining this is gonna be in much the same vein as the Dresden Files or Shadow Run then?

Significantly more the former then the latter, though obviously magic, monsters, etc are out in the open. Makes for some interesting tensions between various species purity groups, infernals, etc.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

*Rubs hands together* Brilliance, already got a few characters rattling around in the noggin already if that's the case.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

On the plus side there's more dating options for people then ever before! On the down side if you thought bringing home your first girlfriend was nerve wracking, imagine if she's a lamia. Or if your first boyfriend's a charming orc named Throgg, and you had to head butt his mother to even get to go on a first date with him.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I'm in

Also I don't date orcs, too aggressive

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Lamia give the best hugs. Just saying.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Just don't let them hug children, eh?

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Depends on if you like kids or not, or if you kids resemble rodents I suppose.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

*Makes a note*

GarandMarine

• Awakened

*knocks megaphone*

Attention please! This is IDS Immigration Agent Verillian all travelers for gate transit to Terra, Mortal plane, please submit your documentation in preparation for immigration.

Aka character profiles please folks, then I'll start the story thread.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Sorry, been kinda run off my feet around here. Been meaning to ask whether or not there are any guidelines for Character creation, or if it's just pretty much common sense rules?

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Common sense rules, god modding will get you kicked off a cliff sparta style. Aim for your toons and their associates to be "relatively scaled" in a sense. You might do odd jobs for Mab every now and then, but her direct servant or "friend"? (Mab doesn't have friends any way, but besides the point) Not likely. Think Dresden Files if you want to do a heavy weight, but this is more SoL focused so while the action's there, everyone's just folk except for the retired demon watch guy up the road and the IDS agent who lives nearby.

Meanwhile ITT:
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2014, 21:21 by GarandMarine »

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Rightio then, I'll throw a few folks down.

Name: Patrick O'Shea.

Identifying features: Caucasian background, tanned, 1.9 meters in height, short cut brown hair, dull green eyes. Maxillary canine on the right hand side is found to be made of runed silver, purpose and usage unknown. Build slender but wiry, subject noted to have hitch while walking in left leg, possible old injury.

Profession: Self employed contractor.

Notable possessions: One set Australian military ID tags, runed, purpose and usage unknown. One beret, uniform standard for 2nd Commando Regiment, Australian Defence Force.

Bio: Formerly a staff sergeant in the 2nd Commando Regiment with tours of duty in East Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq, Patrick O'Shea had found it. . . difficult. . . to adjust to the slower pace of civilian life. When an old friend came to him with a business proposal for some security work in the Philippines with a number of rather odd requests, Patrick was just bored enough with his quiet restaurant job to agree, just this once. He swore it'd be the first and last time, that he just didn't have it in himself for that sort of work

Three years on, and he's taken jobs from Sydney to Stockholm, earning a solid reputation as a fixer at the same time. His last job even had him do a security training course in Hell for a corporate sector client. With a small but ever growing network of former employers and contacts, who knows where he will ply his trade next?

~~~~

Name: Lilya Bildeshka

Identifying features: Eurasian background, 1.7 meters in height, dark hair cut to the shoulder. Average build, dark eyes, scarring from assorted wounds and burns across upper left arm and chest.

Profession: Unspecified.

Arcane skill: Undocumented, estimated average to low skill level. Suspected possessed and/or vessel.

Notable possessions: Unusually large quantity of various sweets and lollies.

Bio: Up until a few years ago, this young woman from the southern borders of Russia's eastern reaches was virtually unknown,  probably living an unassuming life somewhere out there. Then she stumbled out of the woods near a burning mining town, tearing apart the police patrol that found her and disappearing, no rhyme or reason to it that anyone could make out of that, other than to speculate at how someone as petite as her suddenly found the strength and will to put a ten meter gap between somebodies torso and lower body. Theories of some sort of possession are only lent credence by the few times Lilya has been caught on camera, catching an unnatural black conflagration that engulfs her, as well as the fact that she casts a rather unnervingly shaped shadow.

~~~~

Name: Mordechai Gorshkov.

Identifying features: Eurasian background, stands an impressive 2.1 meters tall and is decidedly hirsute to boot. Greying hair and beard, along with a number of tattoo's both mystical and personal in nature, most notable a stylized coil of barbed wire around the neck and down along the right arm and hand that seems to shift and move at the corner of one's eye. Right hand missing the tips of two fingers.

Profession: Unspecified.

Arcane skill: Average. Is imbued with some innate talent, but is most reliant on prepared devices.

Notable possessions: Jewelers kit, black Morskaya Pekhota beret, large tome with prepared cantrips.

Bio: A Praporschick retired of the Morskaya Pekhota, the Russian naval infantry, Mordechai had looked forward to a long, happy life of bouncing his grandchildren on his knee, keeping to his own little slice of heaven on earth as old age set in. That was very rudely shattered as his adopted granddaughter, Lilya, came bursting into his house, raving on and on about things he couldn't understand. Now he's her constant companion, following along faithfully as he tries to understand just what exactly has gotten into her, perhaps literally, and just what he can do to help her.

Not that it may end up being the exact sort of help that she is after, though. He'll do what's best for his little pushka, whether she want's him to or not.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014, 06:52 by RedWolf4 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up