THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alignments for Characters  (Read 17451 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Alignments for Characters
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2014, 07:38 »

That one was a pain lol.

(click to show/hide)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2014, 12:02 »

Hmm. I'm Lawful Neutral? Really?

(click to show/hide)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2014, 12:18 »

Where's the "Neither" option on number 51?

So not answering numbers 111 or 114. The NSA might be watching.  :psyduck:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2014, 12:37 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #53 on: 23 Jun 2014, 11:24 »

Maybe they were lagers.
Don't you mean Alementals?  :parrot:
You!! Yes, both of You!!! You both need to be put away  :police:  and write an adventure arc for my gaming group.  :-D

As for the quiz, I made a number of compromise answers due to most selections not being exactly what I would answer.
(click to show/hide)
Interesting if nothing else as quizzes go though I abhor the premise that Lawful Good has to be Lawful Stupid.
[ Yeah, I play mostly Paladins and Diplomatic Types with the odd exception of an overpowered spell slinger or two]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #54 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:42 »

Chaotic Good this time. But I do appreciate the raw power of the sorcerer.

(click to show/hide)

The questions on religion were a bit dubious, though. What if you are atheistic?
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:48 »

In the D&D universe, atheism is about as defensible as scientology is in our universe.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:53 »

Akin to being a crazy, unsociable outcast, I suppose.

How does that differ from my regular self, then?  :-P
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:57 »

Major difference is that if you manage to get the attention of one They WILL Smite you and make a believer [Beleiber?] out of you... or an Ogres loincloth depending on the deity in question and just how you managed to get their attention.  :psyduck:

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:05 »

In the D&D universe, atheism is about as defensible as scientology is in our universe.

Not really.  Note the Athar faction in the 2nd ed Planescape setting.  Though they recognised the Powers as insanely powerful beings who could grant abilities to their followers, they denied that they were actual *gods* for the simple reason that they actually could be slain (there are the corpses of dead powers all over the Astral plane to prove it), and weren't god-like enough to actually deserve worship.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #59 on: 24 Jun 2014, 13:58 »

Maybe they were lagers.
Don't you mean Alementals?  :parrot:
You!! Yes, both of You!!! You both need to be put away  :police:  and write an adventure arc for my gaming group.  :-D
Um...  You might not want to do that with me.  As an GM, I can be absolutely evil.  I've had (in a Vampire game running the Sabbat sub-plot) a PC who used flesh and bone crafting to turn a fully-concious werewolf into an ashtray, but then made a deal with a demon…  Well, what happened to her is best described Vlad the impaler with shadow tentacles, at least until the sun came up, and the 7th-gen Lasombra she pissed-off stepped into the shadows and teleported to sleep nicely. 

As a PC, I have also, between power-gaming and pulling crazed ideas out of my arse, derailed campaigns on multiple occasions, between things like winning fights that the PCs were supposed to lose (in one case, the GM could have gotten *most* of what he wanted, but don't demand to take a flesh sample from a vain character), to seducing the Big Bad (he had a rather large magical library, and no, that's not a euphemism).

My only advice is to expect players to fuck with any adventure you have planned in any way possible.  You have to be aware of *all* of their abilities and skills, and know that they'll use them in the most unexpected ways.  There always needs to be not only a contingency plan to counter their actions, but alternatives if they decide to take the whole thing off the rails, which they invariably will do.  Plus, I tend to go for dark campaigns rather than the silly.  If confronted with an alemental, I'd just tell the dwarf to drink it.

Edit:  I'd also min-max all of my bad guys.  That way, they may be über-powerful, but there's always that weak spot for the players to discover.  It'll frustrate them to hell until they find it out.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014, 11:55 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jun 2014, 16:22 »

Wouldn't you check Pintsize's alignment by putting him on the rack and adjusting a couple nuts?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #61 on: 24 Jun 2014, 17:04 »

I Am A: Lawful Good Human Cleric (6th Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength-12
Dexterity-9
Constitution-11
Intelligence-14
Wisdom-14
Charisma-10

Alignment:Lawful Good A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. He combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. He tells the truth, keeps his word, helps those in need, and speaks out against injustice. A lawful good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished. Lawful good is the best alignment you can be because it combines honor and compassion. However, lawful good can be a dangerous alignment when it restricts freedom and criminalizes self-interest.

Race:Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:Clerics act as intermediaries between the earthly and the divine (or infernal) worlds. A good cleric helps those in need, while an evil cleric seeks to spread his patron's vision of evil across the world. All clerics can heal wounds and bring people back from the brink of death, and powerful clerics can even raise the dead. Likewise, all clerics have authority over undead creatures, and they can turn away or even destroy these creatures. Clerics are trained in the use of simple weapons, and can use all forms of armor and shields without penalty, since armor does not interfere with the casting of divine spells. In addition to his normal complement of spells, every cleric chooses to focus on two of his deity's domains. These domains grants the cleric special powers, and give him access to spells that he might otherwise never learn. A cleric's Wisdom score should be high, since this determines the maximum spell level that he can cast.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #62 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:33 »

I DM'd a game once. Whenever someone made a search roll and failed it, I'd say "You don't see it."
Even if nothing was there.

I also played a game where one of the PCs was a cave bear who had such high Charisma, Speechcraft and Bluff, he'd fooled everyone he met into thinking he was a human.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:51 »

I know that story…

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #64 on: 25 Jun 2014, 06:45 »

I DM'd a game once. Whenever someone made a search roll and failed it, I'd say "You don't see it."
Even if nothing was there.
Not to mention rolling dice for no reason.  Another fun one is to pass a note to a player that says "write something down and pass this back".

Edit: Fixing quotation and also just pointing out that *anything* to increase player paranoia, like asking for random saving throws even when nothing is happening helps heighten tension and drama. 
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2014, 09:02 by hedgie »

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #65 on: 25 Jun 2014, 08:25 »

(greentext)

Huh - and there I was thinking my friend was a genius. He does go on 4chan a lot; he probably stole the idea from there.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #66 on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:09 »

The bear thing might be like the whole gazebo thing.  Once it's been done once, it'll be repeated.  One of the things that I *don't* like about 3.x (although they did fix a lot of things) is that there are actually difficulty checks for things like bluff to convince the entire royal court, including the guards that the king is an imposter.  In any game *I* ran, a bear wouldn't have a chance unless it had shapeshifting abilities or was an illusionist.  There needs to be a common-sense rule for stuff like that.

Confession:  I actually *did* nuke a gazebo once.  I knew what one was, but it was Ravenloft, and *could* have been an animator.  When called on it, my only response was "well, maybe I just wanted to blow something up"

ischaemia

• Plantmonster
  • Almost necrosis
« Reply #67 on: 04 Aug 2014, 07:32 »

I hope it's not in bad form to bump a thread last responded to over a month ago.

I was really excited to find a thread about alingments (indeed, discoursing alingment can be thrown into just about anything and often yields lengthy conversations) but similarly to Thrudd's point of it being kind of a terrible system (I politely disagree) I do feel like it's a bit inappropriate for something like QC, where everyone is essentially good or neutral. I think, given the nature of most of the comic (discussing feelings/relationships) something a bit more appropriate would be poles of something like:
 1) overall openness and sincerity about feelings (which would also consider propensity to lying, etc)
 2) sexual promiscuity (you'd have to, of course, consider concepts like exclusivity, etc.) but I could see this latter one getting a bit vicious or at the very least disputed so it's probably a terrible idea. "On a scale of Hanners to Sven..."

I mean, the D&D concept is heavily reliant on quests, thefts, kills, etc. and you simply don't see that in QC. It's a pretty peaceful (albeit somewhat emotionally tumultuous) comic.

Addenendum: Really liked the idea of VespaVenger thinking she's CG while actually LE, but I think it's a bit warped: she likely thinks she's a crusader of good, but likely assumes herself to be sane. I feel like someone who is CG doesn't explicitly know they're a bit off kilter. For it to function properly, there's an element of self-deception, I think.

T

« Reply #68 on: 04 Aug 2014, 09:39 »

Yeah theres an online test for that http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20001222b

I'm neutral good. Hu ! I was lawful good in the past.

I'm a Critical Failure.

"ERROR 404
CRITICAL FAILURE!"

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #69 on: 05 Aug 2014, 06:09 »

Ah, obviously you're a wild mage then.

Do they still have wild magic in D&D? It's been over a decade for me, so I'm not up on what's current.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

FayeDouble

• Not quite a lurker
  • There's a fine art to goofing off
« Reply #70 on: 05 Aug 2014, 08:07 »

Apparently I'm true neutral. I took this test (http://www.pa.msu.edu/~aaronson/alitest/aintro.html) because the link for the other one didn't work for me.
When I ran my campaign a few years ago (moved away. Still sad about losing the group) I always created very detailed backgrounds/life stories for my villains. Not a single one was chaotic evil, because the alignment seemed pointless to me. I'd rather my characters had a reason for what they did, so I preferred villains who were lawful evil or neutral evil.
A broken heart that never heals is what you'll have if love was real.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #71 on: 06 Aug 2014, 11:41 »

Do they still have wild magic in D&D? It's been over a decade for me, so I'm not up on what's current.

No, they took all the fun stuff out, gagged Ed Greenwood and pretty much blew up the Forgotten Realms.

Hasbro marketing executives are not the gamer's or even the game industries friends.
Heck, they lost the freaking Pokemon franchise and quickly buried Avalon Hill for pity sake.

Today's DnD is not your DnD or my DnDs from yesteryear when Role Play was part of the game. Now it is just Roll Play and Miniatures battles using a pencil and paper version of Diablo II character builds. Oh what fun ..... :-\

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #72 on: 06 Aug 2014, 16:33 »

Haven't played D&D since it was AD&D, but even then it was often "roll play".
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #73 on: 06 Aug 2014, 21:35 »

Haven't played D&D since it was AD&D, but even then it was often "roll play".
Aye, it can be like that.  In one of my old groups, one player actually had a binder full of rulings, by date (although, knowing him, it was probably cross-indexed), which he'd try to use as Common-Law-style precedents every time he tried something insane.  Sometimes, his rules-lawyering lasted for over an hour.  I mean, fuck, I was a power-gamer, but the worst I'd usually do is buy the DM coffee, or pizza or something, and gently mention some ruling on a matter I liked when I could tell he was in an amicable mood.  Jeez, why spend so much time arguing the law when you can just bribe the judge?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #74 on: 07 Aug 2014, 03:25 »

Marten - neutral good
Pintsize - chaotic evil
Faye - chaotic evil
Dora - true neutral
Hanners - lawful evil
Winslow - lawful evil
Sven - chaotic evil
Marigold - neutral evil
Angus - neutral good
Tai - lawful good
Steve - neutral evil
Veronica - true neutral
Henry - neutral evil
Raven - lawful good
Amir - true neutral
Penelope - lawful good
Wil - chaotic good
Jim - true neutral
Samantha - chaotic neutral
Clinton - true neutral
Dale - neutral good
John [Hannerdad] - lawful good
Beatrice [Hannermom] - chaotic evil
Cosette - neutral good
Padma - lawful good
Claire - true neutral
Emily - true neutral
Sara - true dead
Carpe Diem

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #75 on: 07 Aug 2014, 06:37 »

Most of those I agree with, but Hanners LE? Marigold NE? Care to explain?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #76 on: 07 Aug 2014, 10:42 »

Obviously, it was Evil Hanners (tm) that he was talking about.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up