THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect 4  (Read 19593 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Mass Effect 4
« on: 09 Jun 2014, 13:48 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Mass Effect 4
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2014, 14:19 »

I'm really hoping no more Shepard, Reapers, or old Crew.  A brand new storyline with new characters and adventures.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2014, 17:03 »

It's pretty, but it doesn't really show much

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2014, 04:29 »

I've never been a Mass Effect fan, so the most exciting part about this for me is the end of "Mass Effect 4 confirmed" jokes.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:22 »

Mass Effect 4 confirmed?

That's 19 letters, 1 digit, 3 spaces, 4 words in total!
19 + 1 + 3 + 4 = 27
27 = 3^3

Half-life 3 confirmed!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:27 »

I've never seen mass effect 4 confirmed jokes, only half life 3 jokes.  :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2014, 17:06 »

I've never seen mass effect 4 confirmed jokes, only half life 3 jokes.  :psyduck:

Oh, whatever. I don't internet good.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2014, 08:44 »

Fallout 4 confirmed is a running gag though.

Mass Effect 4...  Man I don't know.  I recently played through all three of the games to finally save everyone, and get everyone through the third game as well as was possible.  And I honestly thought I was done at that point.  I don't know if I have another Mass Effect in me - though I suppose a new storyline could work.  I guess I'll wait and see, but I'm not incredibly excited.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2014, 10:06 »

I'm with you Blyss.  If they brought Shepard back again I would feel like its jumped the shark and probably wouldn't play it.  New protagonist, crew, planets, etc would be really refreshing.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2014, 10:52 »

I am down for new Mass Effect universe games.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2014, 13:30 »

I would love to have the ability to choose any race though. Mostly because I want to do the most hilarious paragon Krogan anyone will ever see.

Headbutt Salarian Diplomat?
Headbutt Salarian diplomat.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2014, 14:07 »

Fallout 4 confirmed is a running gag though.

I have limited hope that Fallout 4 will ever exist. It isn't at E3, and the teaser site and "leaked information" was a hoax.

Also, Half-Life 3 does seem to have been confirmed, at least unofficially.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2014, 14:17 »

They would be blind and stupid fools to not make another Fallout game. Unfortunately, so many rumors and false trails have been put out that short of an actual announcement by Bethesda, we'll never know what might be a legit rumor, and what is just someone pulling everyone's collective chains.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2015, 07:04 »

I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2015, 15:39 »

Almost one year to the date. Looks nice

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:50 »

Almost one year to the date. Looks nice

I wonder if the game will establish a 'canon' ending to ME3?

My money's going on 'Control'. Getting access to the Reapers' billions of years of harvested technology and science via Shepard literally ordering them to hand over the data is the best way to explain how the Citadel Alliance has found its way to the Andromeda Galaxy. I just think that everyone having glowing green eyes and sub-dermal circuitry would just make the characters look creepy.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2015, 09:16 »

The Bioware blog post about the game has a few more details regarding basic plot and setting.

My initial thoughts from the trailer were that it might conjure the "space western" feel by setting the player up as an explorer of some kind charting a new frontier - the Andromeda galaxy itself, which doesn't seem to be a million miles from what the post says. We'll presumably get more details about the role and background of the player character as it develops.

It's a bit of a shame the player is still bound to playing as human, but all in all I'm really looking forward to a return to the ME universe.

One of the interesting things I noticed from the trailer is that FTL travel now seems to not require the use of the mass relays, so I wonder if that's a hint towards a more synthesis / control style canon ending to the original trilogy than the straight up "destroy" option. I suppose it's also confirmed that, being set "long after" the original games, it's unlikely many (any?) of the original cast will appear in anything but name only.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2015, 09:25 »

I suppose it's also confirmed that, being set "long after" the original games, it's unlikely many (any?) of the original cast will appear in anything but name only.

Liara may be mentioned in passing ("The Shadow Broker has passed us intelligence that..." or "Matriarch Liara personally vetted you for this assignment, Commander. She said that you reminded her of someone in her past who would have also been ideal for it. You don't need me to explain what that means, do you?"). Naturally, the ghost of Shepard would be everywhere, one way or another. I can see some odd background details like the top biology research college on Sur'Kesh being the 'Mordin Solis Memorial Institute' or something similar.

That said, I'm sure that some fans would be pissed off beyond imagination at the Destroy ending being de-canonised even by implication.
~~~~

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2015, 14:20 »

I'm gonna assume the new player character doesn't have the rank of Commander, just to differenciate them from Shepard. Probably Captain?

I think it's a good idea to limit the player's choices when creating their character. Too many makes it impossible to give the character a coherent, fleshed out backstory, and makes interactions with the characters you meet less personalized. Quality content > quantities of content. That's the main reason I never really got into the Elder Scrolls games.
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2015, 14:52 »

Well the Elder Scrolls origins have always been seemingly random people who were thrown into jail, but turns out were exactly the right person in the right place and time. Just as the Elder Scrolls predicted.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2015, 15:45 »

My theory on Mass Effect and Humanity thereof is that some people that worked on Advent Rising were hired into Bioware.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2015, 22:19 »

mass effect has always been my favourite video game series.
I AM SHIVERING WITH ANTICI-
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2015, 22:20 »

-PATION

about the next game.

Also
FUCK YES THE MAKO IS BACK.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:48 »

Well, at least I'll have a year to save up for an Xbox One.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2015, 11:21 »

I love Mass Effect so much.

I am so ambivalent about ME4.  I loved the characters,  but I can't help but wonder if ME4 is going to feel like flogging a dead horse

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2015, 14:08 »

Well, new storyline, new characters in an entirely new area and new time. That's about as good as it can get and still maintain the Mass Effect branding. At least they are not further drawing out the adventures of Captain Shepard and the Normandy crew. But hey... It can still work. I mean Borderlands is on 4 games now, still with most of the original but now greatly expanded cast.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2015, 00:24 »

I'm calling 'reboot' and EA isn't going to let the writers do something as stupid as predestine the lead character to death again, no matter how good a story it is!
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2015, 09:43 »

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2016, 10:44 »

It's been awhile since I've played or thought about Mass Effect now, never got around to a second playthrough of ME3 (even though I've played ME1 like 4-5 times). But recently I've been catching up on Mass Effect Andromeda, and I'm remebering how much I love Mass Effect. getting pretty hyped for a new story. Hope it comes out this year!!
I dunno..

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2016, 13:33 »

Well, I know that for their annual November 7th event last year Bioware produced a video where Fem!Shepard offered encouragement to the new protagonist about their mission.

But considering that one of the main writers for Andromeda has jumped ship to Bungie and Destiny (not to mention David Gaider has left to join Beamdog), it does make you wonder about the quality of the game we're going to get. Well, we'll find out in nine months or so.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2016, 14:54 »

Well, I know that for their annual November 7th event last year Bioware produced a video where Fem!Shepard offered encouragement to the new protagonist about their mission.

If that wasn't just a marketing exercise and appears in the game, then the Destroy ending becomes canon.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2016, 15:55 »

If that wasn't just a marketing exercise and appears in the game, then the Destroy ending becomes canon.

Not necessarily, while Andromeda is taking place quite some time after ME3, it doesn't preclude that Destroy was the canon ending. Supposedly the time difference is enough that any and all damage done by the Reapers has been repaired.

I imagine that Bioware might go with a feature similar to Dragon Age Keep (if I remember in a pre-ME3 release interview, Bioware said that there was nearly 1000 points of information between ME and ME2 to account for). Using a Keep feature will reduce the number of choices to the key points and possible accommodate player choices.

But if a player did go for Destroy: Citadel space has been rebuilt, but the damage has been done. Like so many after major conflict, the explorers to the Andromeda galaxy are those volunteers who have either grown up in the rebuilding process or have lost too much to stay.
If a player went for Control: Shepard/Reaper probably realises that the galaxy will become stagnate without some injection of fresh ideas (The knowledge from the Reapers might span billions of years and countless cycles, but theres no way they could know everything in the universe).
Admittedly, Synthesis is the most difficult one for me to work with because I just find the concept of that ending so disturbing.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #32 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:37 »

I imagine there will be no import feature in ME:A, but simply a short intro section where you decide major choices. Just like in The Witcher 3, or Mass Effect 2 if you don't import a save.

Although it might be that no choices carry over at all, given how distanced, both in time and space, the new story seems to be to the original games.
I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:50 »

Although it might be that no choices carry over at all, given how distanced, both in time and space, the new story seems to be to the original games.

Unless this is a solid reboot with an unspecified but different outcome to the Reaper War (or, one where the Reapers never invaded, as difficult as that is to imagine), then there would be significant differences to the base of the game.

(click to show/hide)

The difficulty of implementing three different starting conditions for the Milky Way-originating characters would mean that it would be somewhat simpler for Bioware to select a 'canon' ending for ME3 and go forward from there. Simpler technically; in terms of fan reaction, it would be a can of worms.
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2016, 02:55 by BenRG »
~~~~

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #34 on: 29 Feb 2016, 05:43 »

I'm pretty sure they'll let any connection to the ending of ME3 be intentionally vague. The green ending will definitively not be mentioned or acknowledged. I'm sure they'll just sweep up the ending as "galactic civilization devastated". It also seems very unlikely that they'd enforce the destroy/control implications of no AI or Shepard being robot God(?!?).

Anyways, the choices I could see carrying over are the ones such as Geth/Quarians conflict and what happened to the Krogan. Some other things like if the Council was saved or if the Reaper base was destroyed could probably return, but likely just as a codex entry.

In the end tho, I doubt choices from the original trilogy will have heavy implications. It might be some things like a Geth/Quarian/Krogan squad member/character liking you/humanity/Shepard more or less based on the relevant choices, but that will probably be it. The rest will be codex entries at most, imo.
I dunno..

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #35 on: 29 Feb 2016, 18:24 »

Yeah, that'd be the best option. The implementation of those endings was painful to say the least, and they should be given the exact right amount of shrift that they deserve. Which is to say none.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #36 on: 29 Feb 2016, 19:50 »

Of course, it might actually be a moot point. While it might be an extremely outside chance, we know that Andromeda takes place years after Mass Effect 3, but it could have its origins sometime before or during the events of Mass Effect 3. For all we know, Andromeda could be an Ark project similar to Javik and the Protheans; set up a colony of those Citadel species to ensure their survival, thus allowing to tie into Shepard and Mass Effect 3 without having to deal with the mess that were the endings.

Again, this seems quite an unlikely scenario and I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #37 on: 02 Mar 2016, 09:57 »

One thing I hope they "fix" in ME:A is more logical outfits for you alien crew members. The humans, and Shepard of course, had normal clothes on while on Normandy etc, combat armor while on mission and then the combat armor with a space helmet when in vacuum or other hazardous environments.

The alien crew members, on the other hand, wear their combat suits everywhere (or in Liara's case she wears her normal(?) clothing to battle). And also without a hazard suit/helmet. Sure, a breathing mask will help you suvive vacuum. (Yeah, yeah, something something biotic protection. That's stupid.)

Anyways, considering they have casual clothes for at least turians, asari and salarians I don't see why they all walk around in combat armor 24/7. At least for quarians they have an excuse, and korgan I don't believe they made any non-combat outfits?!
I dunno..

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2017, 00:23 »

By my mighty necromancy powers, I revive this thread!

So, what I'm seeing/hearing so far about MA:A seems pretty neat. The combat trailer looks really fun and they said that dialog options won't be restricted by skills or Paragon/Renegade points, which I like. What does everybody else think?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:58 »

I'm not sure but I'm getting the impression that the Arks left the Milky Way before the Reaper War, given that all equipment we've seen so far is ME1 vintage (or even before like the M7 and Mattock rifles and the Locust submachinegun). That's one way of dancing around it - You don't know what is the canon ending of ME3 because the Andromeda Expedition is totally cut off from home and don't know what has happened back there.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2017, 07:30 »

I am cautiously looking forward to it. What I've seen so far is impressive, to be sure. But the same was true for the first three Mass Effect games. The setting, story and characters were interesting. I liked most of the walking and talking parts. Combat in the game I found dreadfully dull, especially in part 1. It got better with part 2, and I never have played 3. Kind of the same way I feel about the Dragon Age series too, if I must be honest. I love the stories Bioware tells, but the gaming parts I find mostly dull, which means I've never finished a Bioware game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2017, 20:42 »

As much as I'm not really a fan of Mass Effect, I do have to say that for all my misgivings about the series, 3 gets really fun when you get the Scorpion pistol. Its essentially a sticky-mine pistol in a game that allows for headshots. You get the picture.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #42 on: 28 Feb 2017, 00:46 »

I like how they haven't gone all hype train on it. Instead of doing it for us, they've let us do it for them. That just says good things to me on their thought processes.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 28 Feb 2017, 13:26 »

[tweet]835712768678506499[/tweet]

[tweet]835722814376259584[/tweet]

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #44 on: 28 Feb 2017, 14:02 »

hmmmm alien wang.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #45 on: 28 Feb 2017, 15:54 »

I'm just imagining the conversations the devs would have had.

"Great, so now we have think about what a Quad actually looks like."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 28 Feb 2017, 23:23 »

I like how they haven't gone all hype train on it.

As a general rule, especially in games published by EA, the amount of hype is inversely proportional to the quality of the product.

hmmmm alien wang.

Yeah, it looks like Bioware learned all the wrong lessons. The Shepard Trilogy was successful because it was a brilliant and engaging progressive story that set several industry benchmarks for player choice affecting later game structure. It was not a success for being space porn, even though they desperately attempted to market it on that basis.
~~~~

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #47 on: 01 Mar 2017, 03:47 »

Bioware fans have a reputation. The space porn romance quests are a significant amount of the appeal for a large number of them.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #48 on: 01 Mar 2017, 05:16 »

Honestly I don't think they went pure fanservice soft space porn on us. It's probably just how it ended up rolling along. I sincerely believe that we'll get decent writing (They did damn well with DA:Inquisition and ME3).

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #49 on: 01 Mar 2017, 06:02 »

I doubt the role of sex is going to be substantially more or less pronounced in Andromeda than in the trilogy. I think now that nudity is becoming more commonplace in games (see the Witcher series) Bioware knows they can get away with showing more than some alien sideboob.

Calling it now, they're going to put nipples on aliens who have no physiological reason to have them.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up