THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before  (Read 123118 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
« Reply #350 on: 02 Feb 2019, 15:13 »

I'm binging on Discovery right now, and thoroughly enjoying myself - though I have to agree it's not the Trek my Mom told me about.

I don't feel like sorting it into drawers right now (not beyond the obvious, like: No, it's still Trek to me. Yes ... those poor, poor Klingons ...), but some random impressions:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2019, 17:28 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #351 on: 03 Feb 2019, 14:11 »

Mostly though, I think its down to Archer being "Air Force rather than Navy"

That is a good way to put it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #352 on: 09 Feb 2019, 12:10 »

And I've already read internet comments that can't spell Shenzhou...

YouTube Reviewer Emergency Awesome has just dropped a Non-Spoilery Review of Discovery after he Previewed the first two Episodes
And this guy can't pronounce Shenzhou. Shen-zoo? :roll: It is shen-joe! Not difficult! Unless you're just using Chinese stuff as set dressing, and don't care about getting it right.

Yeah ... imagine that Han were the most common ethnic heritage in the US and they couldn't find one single damn' native speaker to teach the actors not to sound like trepanation patients when they try to say a simple sentence in Mandarin ...

(Season 2, Ep 4 - Cpt. Pike sounds like he's on a bad acid trip ...)

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #353 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:37 »

Michelle Yeoh has just re-defined Badass. I think that if she ever raised an eyebrow at me, I might actually wet myself. On second thought: Make that a 'would'. I hadn't really known she was a martial arts performer - and did a spit-take when she did the River-Tam-tribute highkick (into the teeth of the guy standing behind her), like she's 21 instead of 55.
:roll: Heh... To me that sounds like someone not really knowing that John Wayne made Westerns, but that just goes to show what cultural silos we live in. Ms. Yeoh made her cinema debut in martial-arts dramas in 1985, though her original training was as a ballet dancer. "River Tam tribute"? Puh-lease, if anything it's the other way round. :P But for me, she's the best thing in Discovery so far.

I stopped watching Discovery after the first few episodes, and only came back to it recently. I'm still not convinced, but I'm not as negative as I was after watching the first few episodes of Season One. I find the biggest flaw is the clunky dialogue they give characters, especially Michael Burnham, which just doesn't sound like the way real people speak.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #354 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:52 »

Ms. Yeoh made her cinema debut in martial-arts dramas in 1985...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - yo!

:)

(OT: Yeah, I kinda like Discovery!)  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #355 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:05 »

Can I just address the 800-pound Sehlat in the room?

I haven't watched much more than the trailers and the first episode of season 2, but I've already come to the conclusion that Discovery's Spock is... well, mirror Spock.

Not just because of the beard and all, but because of his actions.

Why isn't anyone focusing on this?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #356 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:09 »

Because most Trekkers are getting used to the fact that DIS is a hard reboot in all but name and that they shouldn't expect any of the pre-ENT canon or characterisations to be used in the new show.

FWIW, the watch phrase for  the writers on this show appears to be: "Whatever it is, it must make Michael Burnham seem even more perfect."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #357 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:37 »

YouTube Reviewer Emergency Awesome has just dropped a Non-Spoilery Review of Discovery after he Previewed the first two Episodes
And this guy can't pronounce Shenzhou. Shen-zoo? :roll: It is shen-joe! Not difficult! Unless you're just using Chinese stuff as set dressing, and don't care about getting it right.
Since written Chinese uses its own character set, it baffles me that we don't transliterate it into reasonably accurate phonetic pronunciation using the English alphabet as we do with Japanese. Where/how did we get "jo" being spelled "zhou"?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #358 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:46 »

Because it's not quite the same.  Don't assume that because we can't necessarily hear the difference ourselves it doesn't exist. 

For example, many Japanese cannot hear the difference between our "l" and "r", but that doesn't mean that we can't have that distinction even though they don't. 

There is a huge amount of subtlety in how the brain learns during the first year or so what differences in sound are significant in the language(s) the child is exposed to; differences which it finds not significant don't get programmed into the recognition network, and so can be incredibly hard to learn later.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #359 on: 14 Feb 2019, 15:25 »

Since written Chinese uses its own character set, it baffles me that we don't transliterate it into reasonably accurate phonetic pronunciation using the English alphabet as we do with Japanese. Where/how did we get "jo" being spelled "zhou"?
It is from the Pinyin romanisation system that we get 神舟 romanised as Shenzhou, and pronounced roughly "shenjo".

(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #360 on: 28 Feb 2019, 19:23 »

Watched the Orville's conclusion to the 2 parter "Identity"

:psyduck:

It was freaking amazing! It had a great story with a pretty legit space battle on par with the battle for earth from ME3.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #361 on: 01 Mar 2019, 10:45 »

Okay, I never thought I'd say this about Star Trek - Discovery but... now I'm hooked:

(click to show/hide)

The chances that the Red Angel is a far future version of the good Captain have just significantly increased, IMO
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #363 on: 23 May 2019, 14:02 »

Because CBS seems to have the advertising chops of a partially-eaten celery stick, that trailer is geoblocked. For those of us elsewhere...

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #364 on: 23 May 2019, 14:30 »

I hate when that happens.  It's really annoying to have to change the country of my VPN.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #365 on: 24 May 2019, 09:58 »

My only fear about this is that they might make it a flashback series... with Stewart topping and tailing each episode.

I REALLY hope it isn't!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #366 on: 24 May 2019, 10:09 »

There are a couple of rumours concerning ST:P.

Taking one with a pinch of salt.

One is that the series will be set about 30 or so years after Star Trek Nemesis and that Picard's life radically changed after the destruction of Romulus in the 2009 reboot. This would also tie into the two part episode "Reunification", featuring Leonard Nimoy and how desperately Picard wanted peace with the Romulans.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #368 on: 08 Mar 2020, 09:53 »

So I watched the 7 episodes of Picard that have aired (I don't have Prime but am at my Mum's house). I will be back later with more thoughts but has anybody else watched it?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #369 on: 09 Mar 2020, 03:13 »

I've been watching it.

(click to show/hide)
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #370 on: 22 Jul 2020, 19:56 »

I'm getting a Final Space/Rick and Morty vibe.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #371 on: 23 Jul 2020, 03:16 »

Funnily enough, I just watched a rather scathing discussion about the Lower Decks, talking about how CBS has finally lost sight about what Star Trek was about.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #372 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:47 »

I think they're in "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" mode.
Quis pater tibi est?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #373 on: 23 Jul 2020, 15:47 »

Funnily enough, I just watched a rather scathing discussion about the Lower Decks, talking about how CBS has finally lost sight about what Star Trek was about.

What did they say Star Trek was all about that CBS lost sight of, out of curiosity?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #374 on: 23 Jul 2020, 15:53 »

I think its more of a "The Orville is a comedy version of Star Trek and its doing great!" added with "Scifi comedy cartoons are trending, lets use a known IP."

Well I can see where thats coming from. Star Trek is mostly a serious look into exploration, philosophy, and a way to self examine our own society/culture. Lower Decks may dabble in it, but it seems more like a comedy show than the discussions and lessons from shows past. I think any fan may feel threatened/not thrilled about Lower Deck's tropey parody of that universe.

Hopefully its not the low brow targeted at Millennial humor, Rick and Morty/final space knock off its being presented. The Orville was advertised as "Family Guy in space!" but when you watch the show its a star trek show with comedy in it rather than a comedy show parodying star trek. Admittedly I've only seen most of season 2 of the Orville but it really carried the spirit of TNG.

Spoiler for a couple of episodes:
(click to show/hide)

I'm willing to give it a try and see it if I can.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #375 on: 23 Jul 2020, 15:57 »

Well I can see where thats coming from. Star Trek is mostly a serious look into exploration, philosophy, and a way to self examine our own society/culture. Lower Decks may dabble in it, but it seems more like a comedy show than the discussions and lessons from shows past. I think any fan may feel threatened/not thrilled about Lower Deck's tropey parody of that universe.

Ah, okay.

I just googled a bit and saw a quote commenting they wanted to "laugh with Star Trek" rather than at it.

I can imagine that not going down well with people who take Star Trek very seriously.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #376 on: 24 Jul 2020, 14:28 »

I think its more of a "The Orville is a comedy version of Star Trek and its doing great!" added with "Scifi comedy cartoons are trending, lets use a known IP."

Hopefully its not the low brow targeted at Millennial humor, Rick and Morty/final space knock off its being presented. The Orville was advertised as "Family Guy in space!" but when you watch the show its a star trek show with comedy in it rather than a comedy show parodying star trek. Admittedly I've only seen most of season 2 of the Orville but it really carried the spirit of TNG.

Spoiler for a couple of episodes:
(click to show/hide)

I'm willing to give it a try and see it if I can.

I think The Orville feels more in the spirit of Star Trek than the vast majority of the Star Trek properties that have been made since Voyager and DS:9 went off the air.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #377 on: 24 Jul 2020, 17:14 »

I kind of like the idea of taking a concept initially explored in a TNG episode and running with the idea of focusing on the people below the officers to the extent of making the tone of the entire series much less highfalutin. Obviously it helps that this kind of genre is trending, but it is possible to see a rationale behind it.

Torlek

« Reply #378 on: 24 Jul 2020, 19:17 »

I think The Orville feels more in the spirit of Star Trek than the vast majority of the Star Trek properties that have been made since Voyager and DS:9 went off the air.

This is pretty much what I feel. In terms of feel/atmosphere, The Orville is basically a long-lost, more comedy-centric late 90s Star Trek show with different set dressing (they even use the same orchestral cues). Everyone expected Family Guy in space, but they didn't realize that MacFarlane is apparently a big Trek nerd. So, instead, we get a love letter to the TNG-VOY era filtered through his sensibilities.

Maybe the trailers are lying, but I don't get that notion from Lower Decks. Everything about it suggests that it's The Adventures of the USS Rick-and-Morty.
Quis pater tibi est?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #379 on: 24 Jul 2020, 21:20 »

Maybe the trailers are lying ...

Trailers can in fact be misleading. Famously.

If you don't already do so, then I'd suggest taking all trailers with a healthy pinch of salt. They are not even made by the same people making the thing they are advertising these days.

I mean, it's no coincidence that many people here are getting the vibe that the series creators are just going with what's trending. That's what trailer makers do.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #380 on: 24 Jul 2020, 21:25 »

they didn't realize that MacFarlane is apparently a big Trek nerd.

He was in an episode of Enterprise (along with a fan made video from highschool where he plays Kirk surfaced too).

So yeah, big Star Trek nerd got Fox to greenlight his own Star Trek show. Its a dream come true.  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #381 on: 26 Jul 2020, 08:05 »

Star Trek Nerd got to make his own show and made a better show than the actual source material.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #382 on: 08 Aug 2020, 14:46 »

Judging by a friend's review that landed on my Facebook feed this morning, I'm expecting more negative reviews to land here soon...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #383 on: 10 Aug 2020, 15:50 »

I look forward to several YouTubers I watch bursting a blood vessel over it.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #384 on: 21 Aug 2020, 21:49 »

I saw the first episode of Lower Decks. It's thankfully not as generic-adult-cartoon comedy as its style appears to be. And, it's one of the few times I didn't mind having my YT video interrupted.

D'Vana Tendi is a giant excitable nerd after my own heart, and the date-gone-wrong-gone-right scenario legitimately made me laugh multiple times.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #385 on: 08 Apr 2021, 10:03 »

I was today years old when I learned that the Enterprise-D (and C) from TNG has a part of the ship crewed by dolphins and commanded by 2 whales. They're called the Cetacean Ops. They are referred to in two episodes of TNG.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #386 on: 06 May 2021, 02:54 »

I've been on a bit of a Star Trek kick lately (oddly enough, its thanks to Babylon 5). I wish Paramount didn't have their own streaming service and could put Picard, Discovery, and Lower Decks on one of the main streaming services so I could check them out. I've been watching a lot of Trek youtubers lately that have pretty much stated we're in a new era of Star Trek considering there are 3 Star Trek shows (Soon to be 5 with Strange New Worlds and Prodigy and another movie slated for 2023) on air right now along with movies. That a lot of the bad fan-press about it is par for the course with Star Trek considering the history of it all. I then found this meme that pretty much encapsulates the history of Star Trek fans hating on Star Trek. I would love to give the current 3 ST shows a try, but what with already being subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max, I don't think I can justify another streaming service. Which is kind of funny considering TOS-Enterprise is already on Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix in its entirety, along with all of the ST movies before the '09 ones.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #387 on: 04 Jun 2021, 21:50 »

Alright. I signed up for a 7 day free trial for Paramount Plus and I watched Lower Decks.

I fucking loved it! I honestly do not know what the show has been shit on by so many youtube trekkies. I am pretty sure its hated for one of 3 reasons.

Either 1) They took one look and immediately hated it and never watched it. 2) They decided they hated it and then watched it to "hate watch" it to point out how not star trek it is. or 3) They just don't like the main character Mariner. I mean yeah its one thing not to like it or care for it, its another thing to just unload hate onto it.

Honestly the ship is great, the main character ensigns are complex and fun, and the bridge crew are great too, in their own way.

The Ship is the Cerritos, a Californian-class utility ship. They specialize in follow up missions usually after a flagship has already established first contact, discovered something that need to be researched, or solve a problem. They are the tow trucks, second contact, taxi, and problem solvers of the Federation. They are not the Enterprise or other ship that is suppose to go out into space and make first contact, or get entangled with external politics. They're the grunts of Starfleet. Lower Decks is essentially a workplace comedy set in Star Trek and a love letter to the show. Every "Easter egg" feels like less of a nostalgia trip and more like continuity, trying to tie all the Trek shows together and make the universe feel lived in and familiar. The 4 main characters are Mariner the rogue with a heart of gold, Boimler the by the book ensign that wants to be a captain someday, Tendi a bright eyed and optimistic graduate from the Academy, and Rutherford an engineer that loves anything techie. They all have flaws that make them relatable and complex. For a light hearted comedy that takes place in the Trek universe, I grew to really care about these guys and just had fun.

The first couple of episodes are a little rough but it really picks up and ends strong.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #388 on: 05 Jun 2021, 00:08 »

I honestly do not know what the show has been shit on by so many youtube trekkies.

Because shitting on new installments of popular properties always wins clicks, and the YouTube economy runs on clicks. It's a cottage industry of its very own. Hell, it's practically a YouTube subculture.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #389 on: 16 Jun 2021, 10:42 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #390 on: 16 Jun 2021, 12:55 »

There are two reasons I want to visit my mum.

The first is I haven't seen her since 2019 and I miss her terribly, and I know she's been lonely.

The second is she has Amazon Prime which I refuse to get but I need to see the end of season one DAMMIT

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #391 on: 16 Jun 2021, 18:14 »

May I suggest signing up for a week free with Paramount Plus, finish it, and then immediately cancel?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #392 on: 16 Jun 2021, 23:38 »

Ever wondered what happened in the Empireverse after the Terrans' successful rebellion against the Klingons and Cardassians? Well, I believe that we're about to find out.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2021, 23:57 by BenRG »
~~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #393 on: 17 Jun 2021, 10:51 »

Your video's not playing for me (in the UK), Lee.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #394 on: 17 Jun 2021, 16:27 »

Paramount has been a bit weird with youtube videos internationally lately.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #395 on: 28 Jun 2021, 17:42 »

I saw a fun tier list for live action Star Trek show characters. Thought it was fun (I haven't seen Picard or Discovery yet so I didn't include those characters):

https://tiermaker.com/create/star-trek-characters-all-series-32655

Torlek

« Reply #396 on: 28 Jun 2021, 20:26 »

Why the Kira hate? Also, bold move putting Kirk so far down and on the same level as Archer.
Quis pater tibi est?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #397 on: 29 Jun 2021, 09:24 »

Its been years since I have seen DS9 but from what I do remember she always rubbed me the wrong way.  Something about her acting and how she was written. Kirk and Archer are pretty similar in a lot of ways. I'm currently watching Enterprise and I am really enjoying it so far and have seen a number of parallels with Kirk and Archer. Kirk has better fighting moves though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HUzq8

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #398 on: 09 Sep 2021, 11:12 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #399 on: 09 Sep 2021, 14:04 »

Video unavailable?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up