THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before  (Read 123092 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
« Reply #400 on: 09 Sep 2021, 17:44 »

May be a regional thing. Try here: https://www.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-casting-announcement

Make sure any add blockers are off otherwise it wont play.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #402 on: 01 Nov 2021, 13:22 »

That certainly boldly went where no Star Wars trailer has gone before.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #403 on: 01 Nov 2021, 13:25 »

:angel:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #404 on: 03 Dec 2021, 16:56 »

So I'm at my mum's house.

She has Prime Video. Last time I was here, I accidentally watched the first 7 of episodes of Picard, thinking that was the full season, and not realising there were three episodes that hadn't aired yet, and so was left on a cliffhanger I assumed I could resolve when I next visited her not long after.

Two years and a pandemic later, and there's three fucking seasons of that show so I'm just giving up on it until it finishes its run and I'll restart it.

In the meantime, I decided to give Lower Decks a go - I'm actually pretty impressed with it? It's surprisingly entertaining.

I dislike one of its key principles, about the gloryhog main officers at top level on the ship - I guess it's just a mite TOO irreverent for me, but that's mainly because I have a real issue with Trek that isn't inherently shooting for some kind of utopian or optimistic viewpoint. It's at least in-universe comedy, though, unlike The Orville which I really love but its comedy is really jarring and out of place.

Outside of that... God, it's just really, really funny. I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is. I thought it would be moderately amusing. It's got a few huge laughs out of me in its first few episodes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #405 on: 04 Dec 2021, 11:26 »

It's a while since I watched Picard, but from what I remember the first season is reasonably self-contained. The second and third seasons haven't aired yet, so you won't have a great long list of stuff to get through while you're there this time.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #406 on: 04 Dec 2021, 12:46 »

The more I watch of Lower Decks, the more I like it. It's like peak-era American Dad, but in Trek. And they treak Chief O'Brian with the fucking respet he deserves.

The second and third seasons haven't aired yet

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #407 on: 08 Mar 2022, 08:50 »

A picture from the Star Fleet Academy scene from Picard season 2, episode 1 was posted on Twitter by the design team. I hope we get to see her in the chair at some point in the future.

Double win because Patrick Stuart (whom plays Picard) also played the character Leondegrance in the Excalibur film!

Apparently, Picard served under her as a cadet:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Leondegrance
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2022, 08:58 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #408 on: 09 Mar 2022, 03:41 »

Also, it appears that the production team forgot or never knew that it would take about 100 years to fly to the Lesser Magellenic Cloud at Warp 9 (with Warp 8 being a 'shake the ship to bits' speed during that era, according to Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country). Unless they want to invoke Transwarp and try to explain why the Federation then 'forgot' it again.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #409 on: 09 Mar 2022, 11:44 »

Maybe they found a stable wormhole or some sort of God Like being threw them there and back?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #410 on: 03 Apr 2022, 18:44 »

About a month away from Strange New Worlds

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #411 on: 04 Apr 2022, 00:09 »

I'm getting the real feeling that SNW is a genuine attempt to recapture the 'magic' of the Original Series and Next Generation. We'll see both if that impression is correct and if it is successful.

My biggest concern at the moment is it looks like the writers are also trying to copy The Orville's jokey general atmosphere.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #412 on: 05 Apr 2022, 20:22 »

Well, huh. So Picard season 2 hasn't finished airing yet. Season 3 wrapped up filming, and this trailer was put out:

TNG crew is back.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #413 on: 05 Apr 2022, 23:24 »

I do hope that the producers, writers and directors try to send the TNG crew off on a high note rather than try to 'subvert expectations' or 'deconstruct' anything to prove their artistic and intellectual credentials.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #414 on: 18 Apr 2022, 20:20 »

*I watched Discovery season 1. Its not bad. My wife and I quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure why there was so much argy bargy over it when it came out. I think a redditor put it best:

"TNG was about philosophy, Discovery is about psychology"

Watching season 1 through that lens really gives it a whole new dimension as the main characters are all going through their own psychological problems (no wonder they include a psychiatrist by the time of the Enterprise-D). Burnham's guilt, Ash's PTSD, Tilly's self-esteem, Saru's fear, even the immense pressure on the crew trying to survive and win the war! There were some interesting twists and turns, some I liked, and some that seemed a bit lackluster, but in total it was enjoyable and fun.

**Some what off topic but just as interesting, I have been apart of the r/startrek subreddit for awhile now and it was great fun. There's a part of Disco season 1 that seemed to synch up with my time on reddit as I was somehow navigated by reddit's algorithm to r/Star_Trek which seems every bit the antithesis of r/startrek.
(click to show/hide)
I'm excited to start season 2 as my wife and I know SNW was greenlit because of it. I'm looking forward to seeing some new familiar faces.

***And on a completely separate topic, someone took a scene from TNG's "Best of Both Worlds" and animated it in the style of TAS:

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #415 on: 19 Apr 2022, 02:37 »

For some reason, I'm giggling over a pink Borg cube.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #416 on: 29 Apr 2022, 07:57 »

SNW's opening is nice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1520041750005493764?cxt=HHwWiMC5jeH6opgqAAAA

I think this is before they add the cast names to the opening but for all intents and purposes, this is it. It looks nice and reminds me of TOS.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #417 on: 30 Apr 2022, 09:44 »

I think this is before they add the cast names to the opening but for all intents and purposes, this is it. It looks nice and reminds me of TOS.

Right down to a rearranged version of Alexander Courage's TOS theme tune. 'New' Trek has been something of a qualified failure with the fanbase. I suspect that, in every way, SNW is intended to be a return to the original concepts and styles of Star Trek. Only time will tell if they get it right and, even if they do, whether the oft-disappointed fans will like what they see.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #418 on: 06 May 2022, 20:54 »

I watched the premier for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I loved it! Feels like TOS in a lot of ways while also being its own thing.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #419 on: 14 May 2022, 20:47 »

Paramount put the first episode of Strange New Worlds on youtube. Posting it here in case anyone wanted to check it out.

I just finished the second episode and it was a great Uhura episode.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #420 on: 15 May 2022, 02:42 »

And it's been taken down already. Not an issue with regions just 'unavailable'.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #421 on: 15 May 2022, 07:02 »

Dangit!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #422 on: 03 Jun 2022, 20:16 »

Odd to ask my wife tonight if she wanted to watch the new Star Trek episode or the new Star Wars one. Both were great. I really got a TOS hi-jinks feeling from this episode, especially with Spock and T'Pring.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #423 on: 09 Jul 2022, 21:20 »

I finished season 1 of Strange New Worlds. It was spectacular! Probably the best first season of a Star Trek show. I am amped for a season 2. I also found out season 3 is currently in production.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #424 on: 13 Jul 2022, 14:06 »

I have been slowly rewatching DS9 for a while.

As a household, we have been even more slowly watching Next Gen, some of us having seen some or all of it, some of us having seen almost none.

It has been... trying. The racial politics were appalling particularly in the early seasons, but the gender politics are genuinely horrifying. We took a pause because of a... sort of friend dying who we associate a lot with Trek, but I have been watching a lot of video reviews lately and knowing some of what is coming

TW: sexual assault
(click to show/hide)

I am really not sure we should carry on. But so much of it is so good too, especially now we have reached season 3 - there is almost nothing quite like Trek when it's really good (apart from, of course, The Orville).

On my own, the DS9 rewatch has been so much more rewarding. A better balanced cast for starters, better (although still not always great) gender politics, basically what I remember Star Trek being. A lot of the Trek themes give me huge nostalgia warmth, but the DS9 one actually brings tears. I remember learning things about the world through DS9 when I was younger - and a childhood crush on Kira I think may have something to do with my lifelong attraction to strong women who have trauma.

Rewatching it, it has way more that I have forgotten than I remember, and so many characters who I delight to see. I joked on Twitter recently that if you got me to name a top 5 favourite Trek characters, all of them would probably be DS9 and that three might be Ferenghi. Quark is frankly one of the best characters in Star Trek history; I love the layers that Rom has, someone who is smart and resourceful but paralysed by fear, except when in a life or death situation or (crucially, and beautifully) if someone messes with his son; and Nog, a genuine pioneer of his own people and the Federation.

I'm up to season 4 now, so Worf has shown up too, the Dominion War is coming, it's getting really, really fucking good. But I can't believe how fully formed it has felt since pretty much episode one.

And every now and then, they make some judgy aside about 20th Century humanity, and it fills my cold heart.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #425 on: 13 Jul 2022, 19:52 »

Lower Decks season 3 release announcement poster! Considering how Rutherford's scenes went down in S2 E10, this is BIG! Also a great Homage to the Search for Spock poster too.

@Thrillho:
Rewatching TNG I have same complaint. I will say I really got into DS9 when Worf showed up. "Way of the Warrior" got me back into DS9 when it came out. I remember having a DS9 comic about Klingons when I was a kid after seeing the it (comics for kid LeeC was exceedingly rare because my mom thought they were pointless). If you want likeable and complex characters, DS9 is the way to go. I will say, I am rather liking the crew of the Enterprise in Strange New Worlds, but they only have a single season under their belt where-as DS9 has 7 seasons of these characters building on each other and themselves. Meanwhile TNG, while great sci-fi philosophizing, has rather weak characters and hardly any character growth. It pales in comparison to DS9. As a kid I always liked Troi and wished they did better by her as a character. They kind of started to in season 7 but it was too little too late. Rewatching as an adult and wow she had the shortest end of the stick, same with Geordie. I always skip the first two seasons to be honest. TNG season 1 and 2 was and still is cringe to watch. It does get better after Gene Roddenberry was less involved. Honestly, Trek is better when he's out of the writers room. Even TOS's most iconic episodes were not written by him. Same with Wrath of Khan.

That all said, I want to take a minute and really gush about DS9. It has the 2 greatest villains in all of Star Trek. Both of which you just absolutely love to hate and when they show up you just want to curse at the TV! Gul  Dukat, and Kai-motherfucking-Winn. Both just self righteous terrible people doing terrible things to everyone on opposite sides of the conflict. Also, just so much Jeffrey Combs. Like almost meme levels of him. He plays so many characters and usually villains.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #426 on: 14 Jul 2022, 04:02 »

It's worth remembering the complaints about Gene Roddenberry being something of a sex pest that started to filter out after he'd been dead for about a decade. Just about every actress who'd ever appeared in a major role in a live-action Star Trek TV show during his lifetime have alleged that he expected sexual favours as a price of the job. Given that he rigidly controlled early TNG scripts, characterisations and even costume designs, I don't think that you could expect a man with such misogynist behaviours towards real women to show any kind of an enlightened view towards female characters.

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing about Ferengi not thinking that females need clothing was basically to give him (another) excuse to have near-naked women on the set for him to drool at.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #427 on: 14 Jul 2022, 06:03 »

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing about Ferengi not thinking that females need clothing was basically to give him (another) excuse to have near-naked women on the set for him to drool at.
I agree, thankfully DS9 corrected that eventually. Moogie is the best.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #428 on: 31 Jul 2022, 18:46 »

Nichelle Nichols died on 30th July, still going boldly ahead of us. I'm sorry to see her go, as a character, a person, and a pioneer for actors from ethnic minorities.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up