THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532439 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #200 on: 02 Aug 2014, 05:49 »

Honestly, there are so many threats to the planet's existence at the moment that it's hard to pick just one to panic about.

For some reason, I like this quote. It pretty much sums up life as we know it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #201 on: 02 Aug 2014, 05:54 »

Be like me, panic about all of them.

Heart flutters in the middle of the night about your own and your child's mortality are mandatory.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #202 on: 02 Aug 2014, 05:57 »

Honestly, there are so many threats to the planet's existence at the moment that it's hard to pick just one to panic about.
Time to get a Worry Hat.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #203 on: 02 Aug 2014, 06:01 »

Hellooo, new sigquote  :P
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #204 on: 02 Aug 2014, 08:15 »

I haven't seen a strain identified in the news, but they keep saying 90% so it's either Zaire, or sources aren't saying and the news people are assuming the worst for ratings (more likely).

Either way, it's blood borne, so it shouldn't pose much of an infection risk in a first world medical environment.

It's Zaire from what I've seen.

Blood AND fluid born. Bile, spittle, urine, feces, and especially the legendary Black Vomit. If it was a fluid in the host body it is potentially lethal.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #205 on: 02 Aug 2014, 11:39 »

What news do you follow that isn't discussing this? NPR has been talking about it for several weeks.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #206 on: 02 Aug 2014, 12:02 »

Very little. NPR, CNN, MSNBC, Fox and others are completely useless horse shit that hardly deserves to be called journalism.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #207 on: 03 Aug 2014, 14:06 »

My buddy is visiting this weekend for us to record some music. He's just typing up the lyrics for the last song. My last one was a propulsive, angry song about depression. I am incredibly proud of it. Wish we had proper recording facilities.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #208 on: 03 Aug 2014, 21:05 »

If I was going to had to answer that age old question of tea, a beer or a meal with a historical personage I think modernly, looking back on all I've learned I'd like to sit with Oda Nobunaga. Speaking of strategy with such a master of the art of war would be a pleasure, and I feel he would find my modern knowledge of tanegashima (firearms) fascinating, as well as be pleased to has his views on such weapons vindicated as well as the advances in such devices that would follow. Given his own interest he'd probably find repeating arms... fascinating, to say the least.

What about the rest of you? Which personage would you like to have a sit down with?

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #209 on: 03 Aug 2014, 21:36 »

part of me would like to sup with Jesus Christ.

the other half would like break bread with Alexander the Great.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #210 on: 03 Aug 2014, 21:46 »

Toss up between Tesla and Ben Franklin.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #211 on: 03 Aug 2014, 21:46 »

You wouldn't have to oil up to eat with Jesus.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #212 on: 04 Aug 2014, 02:34 »

There are threats to us, sure, but there are no threats to the planet's existence short of the sun exploding.

What about the rest of you? Which personage would you like to have a sit down with?
I would like to make tea for Master Hsu Yun.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #213 on: 04 Aug 2014, 04:24 »

There are threats to us, sure,

Threats to the current state of the biosphere is how I'd perceive it.  Other species may also feel it (extinctions, anyone?), though we are the ones that are conscious of it.

But change is always on the cards; the only issue is the extent to which we can be held directly responsible for influencing or even driving some aspect of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #214 on: 04 Aug 2014, 07:52 »

I would like to make tea for Master Hsu Yun.

A fascinating man, I think he'd be interesting to have a conversation with as well. Albeit there is no shortage of such people through out the centuries.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #215 on: 04 Aug 2014, 08:53 »

It might have been May who advised putting your hands/arms under cold running tap water to cool off when it's hot, but I thought of doing something similar without wasting water: just take a 1L container (like a yoghurt bucket) and fill it with water, then put it in the fridge. If the heat becomes unbearable, take it out and leave your hand in there for a bit. Instant cooldown.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #216 on: 04 Aug 2014, 09:03 »

I was thinking of nuclear weapons and global warming, although you're right that both of those would be unlikely to entirely destroy the entire planet.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #217 on: 04 Aug 2014, 19:20 »

But change is always on the cards; the only issue is the extent to which we can be held directly responsible for influencing or even driving some aspect of it.

I think the only issue is the extent to which we can mediate that change and preserve what's left.  Who caused it isn't the issue - who (and how) are we gonna fix it? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #218 on: 04 Aug 2014, 20:23 »

Who caused it isn't the issue
Finding out who caused it is the issue if they refuse to stop causing it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #219 on: 04 Aug 2014, 20:49 »

At the point where I'm looking up traditional paintings of Sasaki Kojiro and Miyamoto Musashi for painting this 28mm diorama I have to pause and wonder if I'm not taking this a bit too far...

The diorama is based on this statue

But the posing is a little different and I added a scenic base to add some color and variety to what would have been a very simple duel scene on sand otherwise.

Edit: And I just painted a hamon on Sasaki's katana blade. I am slightly worried about my own mental state.  :psyduck:

For those not familiar with the finer points of the Japanese sword...

The wavy silver bit that goes from the edge towards the back of the blade? That's the hamon. It's found in the finest of Japanese swords and should have a natural, organic look to it. One way to tell if a katana you're looking at is ass or not. Acid etched "fake" hamons are relatively easy to spot, and it's one of those things that once you can see it you can't UNsee it.

For those who are interested in learning more about swords, Japanese swords in particular, or perhaps in purchasing a katana of your own, I suggest you check out Sword Buyer's Guide: http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/custom-katana.html
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2014, 23:30 by GarandMarine »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #220 on: 05 Aug 2014, 22:48 »

By the end of this month, I'll be in my late twenties. Whoa.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #221 on: 06 Aug 2014, 00:01 »

So I mentioned it here, so I'll post pics of the finished product here as well.

(click to show/hide)

Comments, positive or negative are welcome.

Noxx

« Reply #222 on: 06 Aug 2014, 00:03 »

By the end of this month, I'll be in my late twenties. Whoa.

Die in a fire junior.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #223 on: 06 Aug 2014, 01:40 »

GM, I like it! How did you make it? Was it entirely hand-made or did you start with a base of some kind? I know nothing about this sort of art, sorry!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #224 on: 06 Aug 2014, 02:07 »

The miniatures look like they were purchased (I had to sneak a peek at the mini painting thread to be sure), the artwork is in the painting, which is excellent.  GM has a good eye for detail, and is very precise.  I used to paint the figures I used when I played like D&D, but never anything this good, especially the work in the folds, and how the guy with the big fucking stick looks like he's got a bit of grime on him from battle.  Also, I like the colour choice.

However, okay… hmm… constructive criticism for the photography is that for one thing, as a rule of thumb, one doesn't want to go with a lighter background than the subject.  It's distracting as it draws the viewer's eye away from the (no pun intended) focus.  Framing and composition are a bit off, as well.  For example, the 4th image might work better if rotated about 15-20° anticlockwise, and he got a bit lower.  So probably a bit lower, and mid-way b/n images 4 and 5 for rotation.  The use of bokeh is good, though, and fits the scene very well.  Yes, I'm slightly nit-picking, since I studied photography before my first major-change.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #225 on: 06 Aug 2014, 02:59 »

The minis were purchased, as was the base. (a "scenic" base as it's called) so while the minis aren't unique and the base isn't unique, I'm probably the only person with them in this combination. The process can be as complex as you want to make it, with this style of "single cast" miniature, as opposed to a minis that have to be assembled from parts, along with a scenic base being a very simple process for assembly, that allows for a lot of paint detail.

The guy with the stick (and I'm glad it's obvious it's a stick) is Miyamoto Musashi, a famous samurai and duelist. He's most known for his "Book of Five Rings" and the sword fighting style he created (Niten Ichi Ryu, Two Heavens United As One Style). Musashi was more of a rough and tumble kind of guy, he came from a common background and was a very practical warrior as well as a brutal fighter. His opponent Sasaki Kojiro was another master swordsman, and according to legend Musashi's rival at many points through their lives. He's commonly depicted in art (and here) in a full kamishimo, the standard garb for samurai. My one error that I've found so far painting wise actually lies with Kojiro's kamishimo. The kamishimo includes a garment called a kataginu which is essentially a large sleeveless vest with exaggerated shoulders, with a look similar to a doublet for European clothing. So Kojiro's sleeves are part of his kimono, but I painted them like his kataginu. I have corrected that.

Any way, Musashi is sculpted here and commonly depicted as well as wandering around in clothes more common for a workman like a yukata as opposed to the full formal kimono, he had a reputation as a wild man, and as an aesthetic later in life, and he regularly practiced psychological warfare against his opponents. Combat in the age of the Samurai was a formal affair, especially duels like this one. You wore your best clothes, carried your best weapons, bathed and groomed impeccably. There was a formality and ritual to it all that Musashi delighted in ignoring. Even his weapon at this duel was designed to A. attack his opponent's mental state. as well as B. provide an effective counter against Kojiro's fighting technique. As Hedgie said, Musashi brought a big fucking stick, a bokken (wooden sword specifically) that he'd carved from an oar on the boat ride to the island where the duel was to take place.

So excessive detail aside the process is roughly as such:
Assemble the mini(s) and in some cases base them
Prime with a neutral color (I like gray for most of mine)
Painting is a more personal pattern, but I paint big things and colors and work down to small things and colors, so Musashi's yukata gets painted first, and so on till you're doing details like headbands.
Depending on the colors involved I'll do a watered down layer of a lighter color or darker color to get more depth to the material and the color. Kojiro's hakama (the rich red) and the green of the bamboo reeds were accomplished in this manner. The water actually took four layers of paint total.
Washing: Various colored ink washes can be applied to add depth and shadow to models and terrain, I used a black wash on Kojiro, Musashi and the Bamboo and then a brown earth shade wash on the sand
Drybrushing: This is what I did to finish off the sand and rocks, taking a lighter color, much like highlighting and getting as little paint on the brush as possible then lightly running it over so the bristles are just barely kissing the upper surfaces I want to put paint on, I think the effect speaks for itself.
Highlighting: Now you take lighter shades, either made via mixing or through selections from your pile'o paint and get a very light amount of paint on your brush, there's lines in cloth and other parts of the mini, whether built in folds or just natural composition lines, when you highlight you follow these "high" points to bring out more contrast to both the darker areas you created with your wash, and the "normal" areas.

Then you take some pictures, get feed back while you sleep on it for a bit, then you seal it.

Which is why the photos are rough, I don't have a photo box any more and these were rough and dirty for critique and touch ups, not the presentation just yet.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #226 on: 07 Aug 2014, 10:10 »

Somewhere in my building a child is crying and it sounds exactly like a witch in Left 4 Dead. Is the Zombie Apocalypse starting?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #227 on: 07 Aug 2014, 11:41 »

Not in my place. Then again, I am more to the West than you. I guess that might mean something.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #228 on: 07 Aug 2014, 12:43 »

And done! Just gotta seal it!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #229 on: 08 Aug 2014, 04:07 »

In the chorus of the song "Problem" by Ariana Grande, it sounds like the're saying "one less prom" instead of "one less problem". So whenever Sarah and I hear it while driving, that's what we sing and it amuses us greatly :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #230 on: 08 Aug 2014, 10:52 »

Dear world,

if a visual of a baby eating disgusts you, the problem is probably on your end.

sincerely,

me

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #231 on: 08 Aug 2014, 10:54 »

I've never been invited to a baby-eating.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #232 on: 08 Aug 2014, 11:48 »

I've never been invited to a baby-eating.

The look of fear on that child's face. He knows the mayor is hungry and plans to feed.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #233 on: 08 Aug 2014, 14:56 »

MM:
In a small enough society, a Leviathan seeking to impose itself without force, and without agreement of the society to be ruled, is destined to fail.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #234 on: 08 Aug 2014, 15:12 »

I was so confused until I realized MM was miscellaneous musing and not, you know, Method (of) Madness.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #235 on: 08 Aug 2014, 15:17 »

Ah, sorry :D

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #236 on: 08 Aug 2014, 16:07 »

The guy with the stick (and I'm glad it's obvious it's a stick) is Miyamoto Musashi
<snippage for brevity />

Quite informative, especially WRT the process involved.  (Someone step up and launch a funding drive to get this guy a 3D printer)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #237 on: 09 Aug 2014, 14:07 »

My ankle just clicked audibly. What is it with my joints? It's like they're forty years older than the rest of me.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #238 on: 09 Aug 2014, 14:10 »

Most of my joints click all the time. My knees and elbows when I stretch my arms and legs out, my neck pops every once in a while when I tilt my head to left or right, and sometimes even my back when I stretch it.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #239 on: 09 Aug 2014, 14:47 »

My knees click almost every time I kneel down. Also a spot in my lower back clicks really unpleasantly when I do my sciatica exercises. It puts me off doing them a lot because the click resonates through my whole body, especially my spine.

Noxx

« Reply #240 on: 09 Aug 2014, 16:33 »

My joints have been making weird noises since I was twenty. I try to ignore it.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #241 on: 09 Aug 2014, 21:52 »

My right knee is VERY crunchy. All the time.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #242 on: 09 Aug 2014, 22:20 »

My father used to hear the change jingling in his pocket when he walked downstairs. 

Then he did it one day in his underwear, and realized it was his knee. 

That was 40 years ago, and no, it didn't get better. 

My knees are OK, thank god, but my spine sounds a bit like popcorn when I bend over to leash the dogs, or touch my toes in the morning.  The spinal injuries range from spectacular bicycle wrecks 30 years ago to being knocked down by a car four winters ago to a half dozen falls on the ice just last winter.  It's a wonder I can stand at all, let alone walk upright. 

And my shoulder... lifting my right arm can be a challenge if when it decides to lock up.  Thank my old chiropractor for the stretching regimen that keeps it from doing so.  Miss a day or two, though, and I might as well be back to square one. 

I've learned that one can fight a lot of this sort of thing, or at least stave it off, but it takes a certain amount of activity to do so.  Use it or lose it - if you nurse it too much, inactivity wins. 

YMMV.  Void where prohibited.  Certain restrictions may apply.  Please sign the release form before going any further.  Discontinue use if you feel any of the following; pain, sorrow, loss, euphoria, contentment, manic episodes, the blues, the hots, the trots, or start seeing spots. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #243 on: 09 Aug 2014, 22:48 »

It's not the years on the body, it's the mileage.

I am very high mileage >.>;

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #244 on: 10 Aug 2014, 03:16 »

Well, yeah, going to and from Iraq & Afghanistan does that to you.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #245 on: 10 Aug 2014, 07:43 »

Well in my case it's about 15 years of competitive high contact sports, THEN the Marines.

I will remind everyone I was critically injured and discharged medically before I could deploy.

Much to my significant disappointment.

(click to show/hide)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #246 on: 11 Aug 2014, 05:46 »

might be offensive if I hadn't heard it already.  :D
You Marines....

I just wanted to go to the Sandbox for the MONEY.
+$25K for an 8 week deployment, in excess of my standard salary.
Stupid Navy/US Gov people who don't know how to manage a contract :(  :(

Not to mention + $$$ to trade in Afghani semi precious stones: I had contacts and everything.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #247 on: 11 Aug 2014, 11:27 »

Finally 100% done.... >.>; I am my own worst critic.

Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵) duels Sasaki Kojiro (佐々木 小次郎) at Ganryu Island (巌流島). This is the final piece after sealing it and of course adjusting a few small mistakes I made during the initial painting. I believe I am now prepared for the Nan Desu Kan painting competition! かかってこいよ!

It's a super small detail, but I'm immensely proud of the fact that I was able to paint in the rayskin same under the cotton ito wrap. (Those itty bitty white dots in the grip of Musashi's wazikashi) They're almost pointless except to people who are seriously looking, and easily get lost next to the brass kashira (pommel) and tsuba (guard) but I felt bad ass doing it. Also I don't know why Sasaki-san's hair is getting white tracings there, pretty sure it's just light reflecting, because the colors aren't there when I go look...

Imma go get my whompin stick!

Aerial view of Sasaki Kojiro moments before getting whomped with a stick.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #248 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:03 »

This forum doesn't seems to have a favicon set and so my browser has random public wi-fi favicons assigned to various pages.  The main page is something that is a Giant 'A', Chatter is Tim hortons, and some thread somewhere is Starbucks (the rest are blank).  I think it's funny, but also I think it contributes to my having the forum open in multiple tabs.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #249 on: 11 Aug 2014, 16:10 »

Ben Franklin wanted someone to wake him up every hundred years so he could see how the whole USA project turned out. I'd enjoy showing him around.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 65   Go Up