Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 04 Dec 2021, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 356094 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #3150 on: 11 Jun 2021, 13:10 »

Maybe if dogs lived as long as humans they'd probably also turn all white.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Morituri

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3151 on: 28 Jun 2021, 23:32 »

Heard today without a trace of irony:

"Life is too short to worry about whether you're bringing about the end of the world."

Dude has a problem with safety protocols.  Now all of a sudden I have a problem with dude.

Gyrre

• Lovecraftian nightmare
« Reply #3152 on: 29 Jun 2021, 01:18 »

Not sure if this goes in this thread or DISCUSS. But, I've got to wonder why people keep falling for the same trick of kids (usually 12 or under) being coached to say some political agenda. And just becauase they're kids, grown-ass adults fall hook line and sinker for the theatrics.
[This isn't about Greta Thundberg.]

Just came across some news anchor sap falling for it from a pair of kids who couldn't be more than 8, selling their guardian's speil on banning certain foods from schools.

[Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm super tired and trying to get back to sleep for at least an hour.]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3153 on: 09 Jul 2021, 15:53 »

Oh it makes perfect sense if your occupiers try their best to crush your spirit of resistance. And I am so much tired that I will not say anything more until 3 pm UTC tomorrow, because I'm tired.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3154 on: 25 Oct 2021, 11:04 »

I would love to see a movie or show where a non-feral werewolf unintentionally finds themself at a furry convention and is thoroughly confused.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3155 on: 07 Nov 2021, 13:40 »

Every now and again, I see a headline along the lines of this.

He predicted the dark side of the Internet 30 years ago. Why did no one listen?

And the answer is always the same. It's because there are lots of people out there predicting lots of things, and most of it is BS.

There's a reason there are jokes like, "Economists Have Predicted Nine Out Of The Last Five Recessions."
Beafterfore the carved elephant.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3156 on: 09 Nov 2021, 04:12 »

The Wendy Rogers tweet, "Big Bird is a communist," is peak Poe's Law.

Morituri

« Reply #3157 on: 09 Nov 2021, 08:50 »

If they're just now getting that, they haven't been paying attention.  Big Bird's been a communist by their standards since the 1980s.

Who isn't a communist on that show? 
   Oscar the grouch, for sure.  The Cookie monster.  The Count.  Maybe Bert.  I mean, Khalashnikov Bert definitely, but ordinary mainstream Bert too.  Anybody else? 

And I'm guessing somehow it's the Democrats' fault in their little universe?  Like Mattel's changes to Potatohead and the Seuss people deciding to take some books out of print? 

Akima

• Preventing third impact
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3158 on: 11 Nov 2021, 14:46 »

Since "communist", to the sort of people who declare Big Bird to be one, simply means "something I don't like", who isn't one outside their little niche? I was in the Young Pioneers while I was at school in Shanghai, so I am definitely a "recovering communist"...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #3159 on: 13 Nov 2021, 05:50 »

Honestly it sounds like they're trying to make McCarthyism happen again, but its incredibly dumb (not that the first time wasn't dumb either, its just a new low).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #3160 on: 13 Nov 2021, 15:36 »

I used to work with someone who grew up in East Germany and was very proud of it.  She also holds a much higher security clearance than I.  *meh*

I have determined that we have TOO MUCH SH!T.  Now I need to figure out how to convince the Wife that we need to declutter/downsize.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3161 on: 15 Nov 2021, 16:21 »

Conservatives: Angry about Sesame Street since 1969  :grumpypuss:

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #3162 on: 15 Nov 2021, 19:50 »

Please see descriptor: happily loving Sesame Street & especially Oscar the Grouch since ....19sumthin'
But I really, really miss Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.
My parents: both absolute hyper Conservatives, loved Sesame Street.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3163 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:12 »

I cannot remember having had a naked-in-public dream since the pandemic started.

I wonder if their psychological slot has been taken over by the forgot-my-mask dreams. They feel similar emotionally.

Anybody else?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3164 on: 26 Nov 2021, 16:26 »

I have a lot of forgot-my-X dreams, but not once I have had a forgot-my-mask dream.

Morituri

« Reply #3165 on: 26 Nov 2021, 18:59 »

I mostly have "still living in a world where masks are not relevant" dreams.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3166 on: 27 Nov 2021, 01:06 »

That's 100% of mine.

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #3167 on: Yesterday at 07:41 »

5 things about the Trojan War that most movies and media leave out and show that they never read the Iliad or Odyssey.

1) It was not a siege. The concept of a siege didn't exist yet. The Greeks stayed along the shore in camps with their boats.

2) It wasn't just the Trojans versus the Greeks (Achaeans). Troy had many allies that showed up for the war that they numbered just as many warriors as the Greeks (Achaeans). In fact the entire 2nd chapter of the Iliad is about listing all of them. Its probably the most boring chapter. They typically had a huge encampment outside the city walls since the city could not quarter all of them.

3) Achilles isn't even the best fighter/character/person of the Greek (Achaeans) forces. Diomedes is probably the best since he killed just as many dudes, stabbed two gods (without consequences), went on stealth missions out of boredom, and survived the war and became King of Argos and colonized bits of Italy. Achilles is just the most "tragic" hero and so he gets the most fanfare.

4) It takes place not long after Jason of Jason and the Argonauts became king. His kingdom makes regular trips to the Greeks (Achaeans) to trade and keep the war going by offering supplies in exchange for war trophies and spoils (captured horses, armor, weapons, chariots, etc). There are also several literal sons of Hercules fighting in the war too. So the War takes place one generation after Hercules.

5) Helen didn't even want to go with Paris (Alexandros), she was hypnotized by Aphrodite and wanted to return to Menelaus but Aphrodite threatened to make the rest of her life a living hell if she did. Paris (Alexandros) left his nymph wife, Oenone, for Helen. Which makes one wonder why he was so tempted by Aphrodite's offer for the golden apple as it was described to be a loving marriage. I think he was just being an idiot.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3168 on: Yesterday at 12:38 »

6) Ilium was another name for Troy, and the -ad suffix means "related to" or "concerned with", so the Iliad is "concerned with Troy", or a "Troy Story", if you will.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]   Go Up