THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532205 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #150 on: 25 Jul 2014, 15:21 »

When it dies and putrefies, it will have affected the life of the person who sniffed it out and eventually discovered its pattern of putrefaction. It will have affected the lives of all to whom the discoverer communicated feelings of disgust. So it will indeed live on through the transmission of disgust; all of the disgust she shares henceforth will be informed by the disgust of finding that rotting cauliflower, and the discovery that the cauliflower rotted, like some elected officials and the governments they serve, from the inside out.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #151 on: 26 Jul 2014, 14:58 »

Personally, I would hope that I could get reincarnated as a rather spoilt cat.
Not as a rather spoilt hedgehog? :P
Nope. Because they can never be buggered at all.
That, and hedgehogs have this inescapable dilemma, that personally I'd like to get out of.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #152 on: 26 Jul 2014, 17:58 »

So. Altitude. Holy shit it sucks. Where'd all the air go?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #153 on: 26 Jul 2014, 19:25 »

Visiting the Colorado Rockies? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #154 on: 26 Jul 2014, 20:36 »

I moved back home to Denver after a year at sea level and holy fuck balls.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #155 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:17 »

I agree. Would it apply to May's cauliflower, though?

I fucking love you Bob.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #156 on: 28 Jul 2014, 19:54 »

Someone mentioned that they didn't like beer, and I thought of this: "Saying you don't like beer after having a Bud Light or something similar is like saying you don't like juice after drinking watered down orange drink."
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #157 on: 29 Jul 2014, 00:07 »

Someone mentioned that they didn't like beer, and I thought of this: "Saying you don't like beer after having a Bud Light or something similar is like saying you don't like juice after drinking the dishwater that was used to wash a juice glass in which the last dregs were left in a warm room to go mouldy."

ftfy

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #158 on: 29 Jul 2014, 00:52 »

Someone mentioned that they didn't like beer, and I thought of this: "Saying you don't like beer after having a Bud Light or something similar is like saying you don't like juice after drinking watered down orange drink."

I've tried some pretty good quality beers, thanks, and while I could taste the quality being much higher than say, Stella Artois, it still tasted absolutely rancid.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #159 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:11 »

Sad thing as that at least in my part of the US (where we actually have access to a metric shit-ton of good craft beers), Stella is generally considered one of the "fancier" options.  It does make me laugh rather sardonically, but yeah, I'd rather drink well G&Ts than Stella.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #160 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:15 »

Know what the best part about living in Germany is? You don't have to pay import prices to drink some delicious German beer.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #161 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:45 »

My plan to get my ex to stop hitting on me is to be a terrible conversationalist. It's wooorkiiiing
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #162 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:51 »

Could you not ask him to stop hitting on you?

(Had to re-read your post. Didn't catch the 'on' in one go.)(And then I wondered how that 'terrible conversationalist' thing would help against being hit. It was a weird moment in my head.)
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Nyithra

« Reply #163 on: 29 Jul 2014, 02:14 »

I have in the past. When I use the direct approach he basically takes it as 'try again 2 weeks later'
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #164 on: 29 Jul 2014, 02:49 »

Sad thing as that at least in my part of the US (where we actually have access to a metric shit-ton of good craft beers), Stella is generally considered one of the "fancier" options.  It does make me laugh rather sardonically, but yeah, I'd rather drink well G&Ts than Stella.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough*

I'm sorry, let me just compose myself.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Over here Stella is considered to be so classy that it's a byword for domestic violence.
I have in the past. When I use the direct approach he basically takes it as 'try again 2 weeks later'

How direct are you being? I get the impression from the other threads that you can be quite socially anxious and so likely aren't a fan of confrontation. Have you explored actually just telling him to fuck off and leave you alone because you're sick of his bullshit? I understand if you're too sweet-natured to do that.

Out of interest, and obviously being that you're quite new here you may not want to answer any of this, why do you still even talk to him in any format?
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2014, 03:40 by Gareth »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #165 on: 29 Jul 2014, 03:39 »

I've tried some pretty good quality beers, thanks, and while I could taste the quality being much higher than say, Stella Artois, it still tasted absolutely rancid.
The important thing is you've tried them. My objection is when people decide all beer is the same and that they hate it after trying a particularly shitty one.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #166 on: 29 Jul 2014, 11:07 »

My partner tried various kinds of beer when he was in Germany and didn't like any of them. He figured if he didn't like German beer he'd probably not have much luck with any others. At least that's the reason he gives when people are ragging on him for not drinking alcohol.

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #167 on: 29 Jul 2014, 11:28 »

I'm not very well versed in the craft beer department, at all. On a normal night you'll see me with either a Corona or a Yuengling in my hands. There's a comic themed bar in Orlando called The Geek Easy, and there I'll have some Abita Purple Haze and laugh at the people singing karaoke.

But if I go to any other place and they don't serve any of the beer I mentioned I'm usually like  :psyduck:.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #168 on: 29 Jul 2014, 11:42 »

Have you tried asking the barkeeper which craft beer they'd recommend, given your stated preferences? Anyone who is really into beer should be able to extrapolate what you say you like to make an educated suggestion about what else you might like.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Nyithra

« Reply #169 on: 29 Jul 2014, 13:53 »

How direct are you being? I get the impression from the other threads that you can be quite socially anxious and so likely aren't a fan of confrontation. Have you explored actually just telling him to fuck off and leave you alone because you're sick of his bullshit? I understand if you're too sweet-natured to do that.

My answers have ranged from just a flat out no, saying that I'm not interested in him in that way any longer, and actually explaining to him why a couple times when he asked. It's hard to tell him to fuck off completely because usually this stuff comes out of left field from an innocent conversation.

Out of interest, and obviously being that you're quite new here you may not want to answer any of this, why do you still even talk to him in any format?

After dealing with this multiple times and having to explain why I don't like him like we're in middle school or something, I've stopped initiating contact with him. I didn't go to his birthday when he invited me because when he mentioned it in the past he hinted about fooling around on his bed, something I'm not really interested in dealing with in front of his friends that I don't know. Every once and a while he talks to me on facebook and I think he still has my number so he could text me if he wanted to.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #170 on: 29 Jul 2014, 14:17 »

I'd get rid of him from facebook and simply not reply if he texts you. Is there any form of completely unavoidable contact you have with him; for instance do you work together?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Nyithra

« Reply #171 on: 29 Jul 2014, 14:22 »

No I don't work with him and though we live in the same city we go to different schools.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #172 on: 29 Jul 2014, 14:34 »

Sometimes, you have to drop a wall on someone to get through to the block of Tofu between his/her ears.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #173 on: 29 Jul 2014, 16:30 »

I had beer once or twice,and I can drink it, but it's just not my preferred drink of choice.

Now there was this one time when my friend made me a margarita with a bottle of corona tipped into it. That I would drink again.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #174 on: 29 Jul 2014, 19:43 »

I think that's called a bulldog.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #175 on: 30 Jul 2014, 00:58 »

My answers have ranged from just a flat out no, saying that I'm not interested in him in that way any longer, and actually explaining to him why a couple times when he asked. It's hard to tell him to fuck off completely because usually this stuff comes out of left field from an innocent conversation.

Well if the option is it being difficult to say and him continuing to do it against your will and with it making you uncomfortable, maybe it's time to disregard whether it's out of left field and just straight up tell him to fuck off.

After dealing with this multiple times and having to explain why I don't like him like we're in middle school or something, I've stopped initiating contact with him. I didn't go to his birthday when he invited me because when he mentioned it in the past he hinted about fooling around on his bed, something I'm not really interested in dealing with in front of his friends that I don't know. Every once and a while he talks to me on facebook and I think he still has my number so he could text me if he wanted to.

Sounds to me like he needs to be cut off from every means of contact, with an explanation beforehand noting how many times you've tried to get this across to him and that you're sick to the back teeth with it.

You don't deserve having to spend every conversation just batting away unwanted advances, imagine if this were in real life - I think any one of us would have alarm bells going off in our heads, but just because it's via social media rather than face-to-face he gets away with it not seeming as creepy.

If you don't work with him and go to different schools, I think you can relatively easily drop this guy like a bad habit and be cordial but not friendly to him in any real life social situations you encounter him in.

I hope this helps.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #176 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:33 »

I agree, just never communicate with him again (if you feel that you need to send him one last message being clear that you are cutting him off because he is stalking you and you don't appreciate it, then do, but after that no more contact). If he continues to pester you, you've got grounds for taking it to the police.

Nyithra

« Reply #177 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:15 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll probably try to cut off contact soon. I didn't really think about it till now but every time I post a new picture he'll post comments about how 'hot' I am and I shouldn't put up with that, or any of the other stuff he does.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #178 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:30 »

Block him. He shouldn't even have access to your photos. You don't want him in your life, so don't let him look through a window onto your life.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #179 on: 30 Jul 2014, 15:12 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough*

I'm sorry, let me just compose myself.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Over here Stella is considered to be so classy that it's a byword for domestic violence.

Yeah, I *know*, which is why I tend to laugh when I see someone order one…  Especially since one of my local pubs has a great drinks selection, and another is a dedicated beer shop with about 20 on draught.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #180 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:08 »

Wait, really? I don't think Stella is great, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:49 »

Stella is on par with Coors, Bud, Miller, Corona and Fosters at the bottom tier of shite beer. Below those you can see the bottom feeding species of Naty and PBR which shouldn't even be MADE in a world with any justice.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #182 on: 30 Jul 2014, 22:05 »

I'd put PBR above Coors/Bud/Miller in terms of taste. Not much above, but definitely preferable.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #183 on: 30 Jul 2014, 23:12 »

Making love in a canoe beer?
My Art.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #184 on: 31 Jul 2014, 00:37 »

That expression is an insult to exhibitionist kayakers everywhere.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #185 on: 31 Jul 2014, 00:59 »

Wait, really? I don't think Stella is great, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means.

Oh I'm completely serious. You tend to get wifebeating jokes when people are seen drinking Stella.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #186 on: 31 Jul 2014, 17:37 »

I think the last time I had Stella was when I had a ticket for a draft beer and the "best" available was Stella. It wasn't that bad, but I'll never go out of my way for it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #187 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:11 »

the first Stella I ever had will be the LAST Stella I'll ever have.
bleah.

oddly, I've never had Miller.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #188 on: 31 Jul 2014, 22:41 »

Never had Stella. As a novice alcoholic I was a beer snob for a while, but after I got serious I would usually accompany my bourbon with whatever was around, which was pretty often Miller.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #189 on: 31 Jul 2014, 23:42 »

Never tried Stella

Have drunk:

Tui
Lion Brown
DB Bitter
Steinlager
Macs Dark Gold
Ice Beer

And, of course, Guinniss.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #190 on: 01 Aug 2014, 00:05 »

I feel like this entire conversation belongs in the beer thread, but Stella hardly qualifies as that  :emotrex:

Tonight's brew is a stout that's been aged in a shiraz barrel. A modest 10.5% and mein gott, it's incredible
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #191 on: 01 Aug 2014, 01:33 »

I've had Stella.

Bit of a screamer, so no fun for the neighbours, but the girl can suck a golfball through a garden hose.

Now go to the beer thread!
My Art.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #192 on: 01 Aug 2014, 03:40 »

DSL, this one's for you! 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #193 on: 01 Aug 2014, 13:17 »

Dang, I missed out on a thread panning beers until now.

I can't imagine actually enjoying any beer I've ever tried.  But then, I'm not much of a drinker, so no big loss.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #194 on: 01 Aug 2014, 14:44 »

There is a SERIOUS outbreak of a strain of Ebola Zaire in Africa (I believe this is one of the 90% lethal strains) and nobody's talking about it! Wtf?I mean sure it's not Mayinga, so it's not airborne (which if you believe in a deity, go thank that deity or your lucky stars about that right now and hope it doesn't mutate) but it is worth remembering that in our modern connected world, this deadly filoviruses, like Ebola, Marburg, and others are within 24 hours or less (usually less) from global hubs. Even from the depths of Africa, and the other jungles where these bugs like to live.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #195 on: 01 Aug 2014, 14:52 »

The crazy thing about that outbreak is that it was nearly under control in May, but has been spread since then partially by people breaking infected people out of quarantine. I'd like to think this kind of thing couldn't spread in the United States, but consider that measles and whooping cough outbreaks have been happening in the U.S. because people refuse to get their children vaccinated. Can we really trust those sorts of people to follow safe practices if Ebola makes it to the U.S.?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #196 on: 01 Aug 2014, 15:58 »

Well, it *is* coming to the US , but thankfully the disease should remain isolated in the patients being transported to CDC facilities in Atlanta.  And for something like this, we thankfully have better quarantine procedures.

Edit:  One of the reasons for the spread of this outbreak is people refusing to believe that there even is a virus, and rural clinics without proper facilities.  Unfortunately, this will continue as long as Ebola patients are up and running around, essentially killing others.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2014, 17:24 by hedgie »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #197 on: 01 Aug 2014, 19:37 »

Not like we HAVEN'T had an outbreak of a filovirus in the United States before though. Hell it was in Virginia. If it hadn't just been a type of Ebola (it's name is Reston Virus if you want to look it up) even with USAMRIID a stone's throw away that could have been a Serious Issue if Reston didn't have a very low pathogenicity for humans.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #198 on: 02 Aug 2014, 00:05 »

I haven't seen a strain identified in the news, but they keep saying 90% so it's either Zaire, or sources aren't saying and the news people are assuming the worst for ratings (more likely).

Either way, it's blood borne, so it shouldn't pose much of an infection risk in a first world medical environment.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #199 on: 02 Aug 2014, 05:42 »

It's been talked about at a low level in the UK for the past few months. Honestly, there are so many threats to the planet's existence at the moment that it's hard to pick just one to panic about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65   Go Up