THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532631 times)

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #450 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:51 »

Yep. Tolerances range from .002 thousandths to .10 thousandths depending on the part in question or even areas on the same part.
How the fk do you even measure that?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #451 on: 25 Sep 2014, 10:05 »

Micrometers
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #452 on: 25 Sep 2014, 10:07 »

And other precision instruments
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #453 on: 25 Sep 2014, 13:17 »

Saw this in the loo at a restaurant today. First of all...no. Second of all...why? To avoid a mess? Wouldn't "clean up after yourself" suffice?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #454 on: 25 Sep 2014, 13:19 »

Were there cleaning supplies provided? I've never seen a public toilet provide anything more than a very grubby-looking toilet brush. Drying up with some toilet paper doesn't suffice either.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #455 on: 25 Sep 2014, 13:38 »

Oh. Well, still, I've never seen such a request in a public toilet before. "Aim well" could've worked without need for cleaning supplies, but I don't think that should need to be said.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #456 on: 25 Sep 2014, 16:12 »

Oh. Well, still, I've never seen such a request in a public toilet before.

Whut? They are uncommon? Those are totally commonplace in Germany.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #457 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:01 »

In other news hand filing to super tight tolerances (thousandths of an inch) is hardcore bullshit.
Nearly... nearly... nearly... Shit! Yeah... Even on a lathe you can do this.

My biggest personal metalworking fuck-up was snapping off a tap flush in a hole I'd spent a long time carefully drilling in a steel bike part I had hand cut and filed from bar stock, ruining the piece so that I had to start again from scratch. My Dad was all "Well, you'll be more careful next time, won't you, Elder Daughter?"
I was ready to die. :claireface:

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #458 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:07 »

I have a few machine shop stories, but my favorite is the time the head machinist came into the room as I was drilling a countersink hole in a mount for a fiberoptic lens. I'm being cautious with it, making sure it's the right depth. He sees me, tells me, "You're babyin' that thing! Lemme show you how it's done!", takes over the lathe and drills straight through. I tell him what I was trying to do and his response was "Well, you should have shown me the drawing first!"  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #459 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:11 »

What happens if you file too far? Is the whole thing scrapped?

To restore it to the necessary dimensions, you just have to spend some time defiling it.  :claireface:
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #460 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:40 »

Saw this in the loo at a restaurant today. First of all...no. Second of all...why? To avoid a mess? Wouldn't "clean up after yourself" suffice?
I've been using public rest rooms for seven decades, and nowadays I think I may be unclear on the concept. I see guys pass up an unused urinal to go into a stall, close the door, stand and pee into a toilet. What's wrong with the urinal? Are they shy because someone might see their penis? I don't recall seeing that behavior in my adolescence and young adulthood. Why did it start? And peeing through the seat instead of raising it? When did that begin? That's not how the people who had to clean our toilets in our childhood -- our mothers -- taught us. What changed? How much of the change in behavior comes from avoiding contact with contaminated things like seats and flush handles? Oh yeah -- when did adults stop flushing toilets and urinals?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #461 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:57 »

In other news hand filing to super tight tolerances (thousandths of an inch) is hardcore bullshit.
Nearly... nearly... nearly... Shit! Yeah... Even on a lathe you can do this.

My biggest personal metalworking fuck-up was snapping off a tap flush in a hole I'd spent a long time carefully drilling in a steel bike part I had hand cut and filed from bar stock, ruining the piece so that I had to start again from scratch. My Dad was all "Well, you'll be more careful next time, won't you, Elder Daughter?"
I was ready to die. :claireface:

I imagine your father and some of my senior instructors have the same exact look on their face and tone when telling us we've fucked up. Except for SSgt. One of my junior instructors is a Marine SSgt and we're bros. So he's cool vs. taking a perverse pleasure in my fuck ups.

This is an almost complete shotgun choke tube wrench. Each "step" on the "wings" represents one of the six common gauges. The tolerances on the various widths of the working surfaces is .002 thousandths. The width of the working surfaces is .68 thousandths with the same tolerance. This is attempt.... five or six I think. We'll see how my grade is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #462 on: 25 Sep 2014, 20:47 »

And peeing through the seat instead of raising it?
What's wrong with this? It's a sufficiently large hole and why would I want to touch that seat if I don't have to? I still flush, of course...with my foot. If it's not an automatic, that is.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #463 on: 25 Sep 2014, 21:02 »

You can do what I do, and lift the seat with your boot.  I tend to use my toe to flush, as well.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #464 on: 25 Sep 2014, 21:06 »

I could, but like I said, it's unnecessary. I take care to aim and not hit the seat, so why is it a problem if I don't lift it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #465 on: 25 Sep 2014, 21:14 »

I could, but like I said, it's unnecessary. I take care to aim and not hit the seat, so why is it a problem if I don't lift it?
In case you sneeze mid-piss.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #466 on: 25 Sep 2014, 21:19 »

If that happened, the seat would be the least of my worries.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #467 on: 25 Sep 2014, 23:06 »

Yeah, but now you're thinking about it. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #468 on: 26 Sep 2014, 00:32 »

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140923/BENEFITS06/309230038/VA-records-show-vet-rescheduled-appointment-after-death?sf31597075=1

This is why I don't want socialized medicine in the end. I have it. Right now, as do many of my brothers... and it's no exaggeration to say it's killing us.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #469 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:52 »

I see no reason to lift the seat at all, if you're sure you can aim properly. And, aside from accidents and some people with disabilities, why the hell wouldn't you be able to aim properly?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #470 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:01 »

Aside from accidents. 

Y'know, they happen,  The world ain't perfect.  But they can be prevented. 

I can understand an aversion to sitting if you don't have to, but at least raise the seat, as described, with your toe.  Then when the unforeseen happens, you just splash the floor & surroundings, not where the next person sits.  It's just considerate, OK? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #471 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:24 »

This we do that others might live.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #472 on: 26 Sep 2014, 16:48 »

You know you've made some odd life choices when you're riding a half full grocery cart through a King Sooper's parking lot at 1700 yelling "You'll never force me to grow up alive" at the people with fish bumper stickers staring at you.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #473 on: 26 Sep 2014, 16:58 »

I dunno, sounds like about half my old squadron. 

Wait.  No, nevermind, I keep forgetting that we were crazy mofos. 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #474 on: 26 Sep 2014, 18:15 »

people with fish bumper stickers staring at you.
People with fish bumper-stickers stare at me anyway...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #475 on: 26 Sep 2014, 18:17 »

They stare at me in general too Akima

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #476 on: 26 Sep 2014, 20:01 »

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
From the fury of the Northmen, deliver us, O God.

When a religion has actual prayers against your religion... it can honestly give you a warm n' fuzzy <3

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #477 on: 26 Sep 2014, 20:54 »

it wasn't a prayer  against a religion... it was a prayer against my ancestors

paganism had been alive and well in England, it was the Viking of the Scandanavian/Nordic peoples what had the priests praying for deliverance.

my mother's family originally hailed from Cimbria.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #478 on: 26 Sep 2014, 20:56 »

My ancestors too Groggie.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #479 on: 26 Sep 2014, 21:05 »

coolness.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #480 on: 26 Sep 2014, 22:52 »

My ancestors were likewise converted by the point of the blade.  Fuck those fuckers.  If I were to put a fish sticker on my proverbial car, it'd be Cthulhu, since like the other fish stickers, he's fictional.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #481 on: 26 Sep 2014, 22:59 »

Still remains that there was a LOT of religious violence back and forth their Grog, so characterizing that as a prayer against a religious group is not outlandish. England at the time being mostly Christian, the various pagan forms of faith were mostly stamped out, Scandinavia being the last serious bastion of Germanic Paganism left. (There really wasn't much of that in a "pure strain" in England to start with. The Celts had some very rich pagan traditions of their own that we've lost far too much of sadly)

The Vikings were scary because A. they were incredibly effective military forces and B. they were pagans back when Christians still burned people at the stake for that.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #482 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:29 »

Still remains that there was a LOT of religious violence back and forth their Grog, so characterizing that as a prayer against a religious group is not outlandish. England at the time being mostly Christian, the various pagan forms of faith were mostly stamped out, Scandinavia being the last serious bastion of Germanic Paganism left. (There really wasn't much of that in a "pure strain" in England to start with. The Celts had some very rich pagan traditions of their own that we've lost far too much of sadly)

The Vikings were scary because A. they were incredibly effective military forces and B. they were pagans back when Christians still burned people at the stake for that.

And C, they actually bathed, so they got all the English girls.  There's actually letters from some minor English noble complaining to the church that Scandinavian merchants coming through his town were marrying all the English women and leaving behind a town full of English bachelors. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #483 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:00 »

Be a badass and keep yourself well groomed. It has incredible results.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #484 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:40 »

I have glasses now (for close focus - so basically whenever I'm using a computer, studying, reading a book, watching TV or pretty much almost all the time!) and the way I can tell that they are working is that when I take them off, the world is fuzzy and curves towards me in the middle of my field of vision. It is weird.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #485 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:23 »

I'll be the first to state the obvious:

Pics or it didn't happen.  :angel:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #486 on: 28 Sep 2014, 06:58 »

I have glasses now (for close focus - so basically whenever I'm using a computer, studying, reading a book, watching TV or pretty much almost all the time!) and the way I can tell that they are working is that when I take them off, the world is fuzzy and curves towards me in the middle of my field of vision. It is weird.

I first got my glasses when I was 11 and only needed them for the same things you describe, but I just wore them all the time, because honestly, when was I not using a computer, reading a book, watching a TV, or needing to actually fucking SEE things?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #487 on: 28 Sep 2014, 08:32 »

I see less well if I'm doing anything that requires me to look further than 20cm away. The world gets weirdly wavy further than that.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #488 on: 28 Sep 2014, 19:35 »

Been wearing glasses since I was 5.  My parents were finally convinced I needed them when we saw gramma off at the airport.  We went to the fence by the airfield, and as she climbed the gangway into the Pan-Am DC-3, my parents told me to wave to her. 

"Where?", I asked. 

"On the stairs, getting into the plane" they said. 

"What plane?" 

We were maybe 200 feet away from it. 

Everything for me gets blurry beyond about 3 cm.  After a few meters or so, it's all one big blob.  With my glasses, I'm about 20/40, good enough to drive, at least...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #489 on: 28 Sep 2014, 19:39 »

I got my first pair of glasses a year and a half or so ago. They're for distance, but I usually only wear them if I drive at night, and even then not often.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #490 on: 28 Sep 2014, 22:52 »

Is this a bad time to boast that I have 20/15 vision in both eyes, and my hearing is acute enough to hear up to about 20KHz?  Then again, my sense of smell is basically gone, but I figure it's one of the less important ones.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #491 on: 29 Sep 2014, 00:54 »

My opticians tests hearing as standard at eye checks, and my hearing is perfect. My vision is almost perfect in the sense of focus - I don't know what the 20/40 type numbers mean but my prescription is +0.25 and +0.5 which is barely anything. My distance vision is excellent, I can read tiny text at a distance of several metres. It's just that the world isn't as curved as my eyes would like ;)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #492 on: 29 Sep 2014, 03:29 »

... always with the curves ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #493 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:31 »

Is this a bad time to boast that I have 20/15 vision in both eyes, and my hearing is acute enough to hear up to about 20KHz?  Then again, my sense of smell is basically gone, but I figure it's one of the less important ones.

Not at all. I like my glasses. If I ever got my vision to the point of not needing them, I'd be sad.

I like my face furniture, I like how I look with them and generally dislike how I look with them off, and my eyes being quite majorly off level with each other is hidden slightly by my glasses but a lot harder to hide without my glasses on.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #494 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:36 »

I've never heard the phrase "face furniture" before.  I think I like it. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #495 on: 29 Sep 2014, 06:02 »

Before I got my eyes fixed up I was looking at ditching glasses for a GSD or Golden Retriever and a stick >.>;

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #496 on: 29 Sep 2014, 06:47 »

Heehee. Face furniture is delightful.

I tend to go for a few months with contacts, switch to glasses for a while and then switch back once my glasses start to annoy me- usually on rainy days. :-P

I don't know what my 20/whatever numbers are either but my eyesight is terrible. I've been using corrective lenses of some sort since the 2nd grade- started out just for reading and I'd always forget to have them with me, then I ended up needing them all the time. Almost every time I've gone to the eye doctor my prescription has gotten worse. Not this past visit, though! Exciting times.  :roll: The prescription for my contacts are -9.5 and -10.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #497 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:50 »

I got my eyes professionally burned and since then I don't need glasses anymore. Which is good. But my girlfriend still has not gotten used to my glassesless face. Which is bad.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #498 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:21 »

I got glasses when I was in the fifth grade. The teacher assigned me a seat in the back of the classroom and I kept getting out of my chair to look at the chalkboard. She refused to believe me when I said I couldn't see the chalkboard, and ended up calling in my mom for a discussion about my "misbehavior."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #499 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:30 »

I got glasses when I was a freshman in high school (age 13 or so).  One teacher had seated me in the back row, but I mentioned to her that I couldn't see the blackboard, and could I move up to a front row.  She asked if I had ever had my eyes checked, and I said "No", and she said to ask my parents to get my eyes checked.  She also moved me to the front row.  Since then, glasses, contacts, and cataract surgery.  But I can see, mostly.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65   Go Up