THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532461 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #550 on: 07 Oct 2014, 23:30 »

http://qz.com/273255/how-american-parenting-is-killing-the-american-marriage/

Interesting theory. I've certainly seen large chunks of it in practice.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #551 on: 08 Oct 2014, 03:54 »

Just saw an American Express commercial with Tina Fey and it has a close up of her swiping her card...backwards :psyduck:

This works on most card readers. When I worked retail, if a card was being finicky about being swiped, swiping it backwards would often work better than forwards.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #552 on: 08 Oct 2014, 04:14 »

It could also be that she was doing it for giggles.  IIRC, Debbie Harry hated having to lip-synch for those live TV "performances", so she'd deliberately do it wrong.  This could be the same sort of thing.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #553 on: 08 Oct 2014, 04:40 »

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #554 on: 08 Oct 2014, 04:48 »

Perhaps Garand Marine has become a bot. Next thing you know, he'll be posting clickbaity Buzzfeed articles  :mrgreen:

(...Sorry Erik)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #555 on: 08 Oct 2014, 05:56 »

You won't BELIEVE what this Marine does next, it will BLOW YOUR MIND
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #556 on: 08 Oct 2014, 06:14 »

Certainly sounds like one :P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #557 on: 08 Oct 2014, 06:26 »

Because I've had a lot of head trauma and sometimes forget where I've posted stuff and what I've talked to specific people about Masterpiece.

You won't BELIEVE what this Marine does next, it will BLOW YOUR MIND

Remind me to tell you some of my "Hold my beer and watch this" stories. My favorite is one of my Marines was riding around on a dirtbike in the desert (American Southwest) and was riding next to a train.... then proceeded to ride over a 30ft drop.  :psyduck:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #558 on: 08 Oct 2014, 06:32 »

"Hold my beer and watch this" stories.
Famous last words in the US South.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #559 on: 08 Oct 2014, 08:33 »

Shit famous last words ANYWHERE.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #560 on: 08 Oct 2014, 11:05 »

Just saw an American Express commercial with Tina Fey and it has a close up of her swiping her card...backwards :psyduck:

This works on most card readers. When I worked retail, if a card was being finicky about being swiped, swiping it backwards would often work better than forwards.
Well...no, by "backwards" I mean they swiped the side of the card without the magstripe.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #561 on: 08 Oct 2014, 13:00 »

After six years with AT&T I switched to T-Mobile almost on a whim. I had a few reasons, but I hope I don't regret this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #562 on: 08 Oct 2014, 20:59 »

After six years with AT&T I switched to T-Mobile almost on a whim. I had a few reasons, but I hope I don't regret this.
If your experience with AT&T was anything like mine with Verizon, you won't regret it.

As for miscellanousness:
Dear Brazilian metal band I've never heard of,

I was not the drunken gringo who extremely awkwardly asked you for an autograph tonight. I was however the drunken gringo sitting at the bar laughing at the drunken gringo who asked you for your autograph.

Sincerely,
cesium133
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #563 on: 08 Oct 2014, 21:03 »

As for miscellanousness:
Dear Brazilian metal band I've never heard of,

I was not the drunken gringo who extremely awkwardly asked you for an autograph tonight. I was however the drunken gringo sitting at the bar laughing at the drunken gringo who asked you for your autograph.

Sincerely,
cesium133

I kind of want to know what metal sounds like in Portuguese. 

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #564 on: 08 Oct 2014, 21:05 »

I'd look them up but I've already forgotten the name of the band.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #565 on: 09 Oct 2014, 06:17 »

The more I get into my field, the more I realize that the average user has no fucking clue how their shit works.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #566 on: 09 Oct 2014, 06:19 »

My wife used to say that until she stopped designing STWs.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #567 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:36 »

The "why is the rum gone" video from the pointless thread put me on a memory train.

Almost four years ago, I was with my first girlfriend, at a movie evening of her friend M. We were having a Pirates of the Carribean movie marathon with a sleepover. There were the two of us, the host M plus her boyfriend and C, a male friend of the group.

Eventually, M's BF left. There were four of us left, M started snuggling up to C, and when we were done watching the movies, everyone just quietly accepted me + my GF would sleep in the one room and M + C in the other.

Apparently, some heavy petting happened that night. (To his credit, he didn't brag *a lot* the following morning.)

We were younger, more confused and less mature back then. I also was somewhat attracted to M, and thought M + C would make a better couple than what M+her BF had. So I didn't say anything.

Nowadays, I'd have behaved differently. I think. I still had minor stings of conscience, so this led me to my first non-comic related post in this forum:

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,29639.msg1004946.html#msg1004946

To the best of my knowledge, M is still with her boyfriend from back then. We don't have contact anymore.

The thing is, in the PotC movies, there are a few moments where you think Elizabeth might get together with Jack instead of Will. I thought the plot of the movies reflected what was going on in real life rather... mystically. There are the drunk almost-makeouts, the regret in the morning, the attraction to the "wrong" person... I am probably not making a lot of sense, am I.

I also learned a few things, maybe not that night, but in retrospect. Such as that the world isn't always black and white when it comes to relationships.
I also learned to trust the people judgment of a friend of mine, D, who had warned me about M prior to all of this. D was later bound to become my second relationship and is still my best friend. (Her people judgment has been confirmed many times since, but I think this is the first instance of it I remember.)
Eventually, D and me broke up after an argument we had while watching a movie.
That movie was PotC 1.

I also learned things about myself that night, which are rather difficult to put into words. I guess that I was not, in fact, such a paragon of virtue as I liked to think myself of as.

Also, in terms of experiences made that night: having M's parents' king size bed to ourselves was rather nice :mrgreen:

Incidentally, Ankh, if you are reading this: M was (probably still is) a really charismatic girl, making the world spin around her. She was the main, if not the sole, inspiration for the post I made when discussing your Pinkie Pie Problem:

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,29624.msg1255216.html#msg1255216

So I guess that experience of mine was helpful to somebody else as well, which is nice to know.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #568 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:58 »

Someone accidently sent me a sext last night.   Since we are both UX people he was quick to blame it on a bad user interface. I can't decide if it was an error, or a calculated attempt to gauge my reaction. Either way, the whole thing gave me the best chuckle I'd had all day.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #569 on: 09 Oct 2014, 16:32 »

So out of boredom today I Wikipedia-ed vampire folklore and it was amazing.  I can see why the east european ones sparked Dracula way back when.  They are very intricate.  In turn looked up dhampire which is basically Blade.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #570 on: 09 Oct 2014, 17:56 »

Does it mention the modern incarnation, the glampire? Do some of them suck money from their victims, as a scampire? Is the carnivorous tuber a yampire?

I should go to bed.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #571 on: 10 Oct 2014, 00:49 »

So out of boredom today I Wikipedia-ed vampire folklore and it was amazing.  I can see why the east european ones sparked Dracula way back when.  They are very intricate.  In turn looked up dhampire which is basically Blade.
Sadly the book hasn't been published in English but if you happen to speak German you should look to get your hands on a copy of "Kinder des Judas" by Markus Heitz. One of my favorite books ever and the different species of vampires he creates are all based on east european vampire lore. It's a great read.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #572 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:12 »

I really like the different coloured triangles for Mod-speak as demonstrated in the new thingy about people's private parts. Makes me wonder how many colours there are, whether that number can be enlarged and randomised. It's very ... christmass-y.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #573 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:58 »

I really like the different coloured triangles for Mod-speak as demonstrated in the new thingy about people's private parts. Makes me wonder how many colours there are, whether that number can be enlarged and randomised. It's very ... christmass-y.

In principle the colours are:

Moderator Comment Yellow for "ordinary" mods - i.e. those who are specific to a sub-forum
Global Moderator Comment Blue for Global mods
Administrator Comment Red for admins

Each can use the ones above, though, so an admin can distinguish whether they are speaking with an "admin" voice or a "mod" voice.  Loki is the only non-global mod (by his request); but I might have enabled blue triangles for him anyway - I can't actually remember.

It's also possible to change the heading:
You'd better listen when the mod speaks! Well, you do, right?

I suppose I could invent green and lilac triangles if I could be bothered; but I've no reason to, so I won't.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #574 on: 10 Oct 2014, 07:05 »

It's actually kind of fun to watch movies set in certain historical periods and spot the anachronisms. The movie I'm currently watching had workers in 1941 being paid with cash from after 2000 ($20 bills in 1941 didn't have the giant 20 on the reverse side).

edit -- incidentally, when the name "RoboCop" is spoken in Portuguese, it sounds to an English speaker like "HoboCop."
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 07:22 by cesium133 »

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #575 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:53 »

lilac triangles 2014.  do it for the gipper.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #576 on: 11 Oct 2014, 13:35 »

So much tandoori chicken ~

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #577 on: 11 Oct 2014, 15:10 »

edit -- incidentally, when the name "RoboCop" is spoken in Portuguese, it sounds to an English speaker like "HoboCop."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_pair

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #578 on: 11 Oct 2014, 19:08 »

There's gonna be two very disparate halves to this post. Hold on to your butts.

This is what happens when I write Satan:
Lucifer sits back on his throne if one could call it that, an obsidian chair raised no higher then any others in the great hall. "I am the Bright and Morning Star, as the humans have called me. Another translation of my many names is "light bringer". Humanity survives because I went to them and gave them what God would not. Reason, curiosity, the sweet succour and poison of knowledge. Without reason, without knowledge then free will is nothing. For what use is the freedom to make choices without knowledge and the ability to reason the impact of those decisions? This is the war humanity has been waging it's entire existence. The war between Heaven and Hell in microcosm, each human able to be Angel and Demon in equal amounts, and both of those beings capable of terrible and wonderful things. Freedom or control, justice or law, dogma or wisdom... this is the battleground in which you have found yourself elevated to young angel and you have come into your enemy's camp."
(This paragraph IS copyrighted and part of an ongoing writing project, please do not reprint or repost elsewhere without asking)

And now some thoughts.

It spreads like disease.There's no sign of peace. Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed. Three decades of war.

Originally about the 30 Years War, this song's been weighing heavy on me recently as we approach the anniversary of the 1983 suicide bombing in Beirut Lebanon that took the lives of  220 Marines, 18 sailors, and three soldiers, along with the lives of 58 French paratroopers and further wounding 143 troops. Most historians and military strategists mark this as the opening shot of "The Long War" against Extremist Islam that has now lasted for over three decades. I'm not really going any where with this, but the more things change, the more they stay the same.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #579 on: 11 Oct 2014, 21:16 »

Could be worse. Could be the Hundred Years War.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #580 on: 11 Oct 2014, 22:55 »

Don't Jinx it. We're thirty years in. Some would argue for much longer though they tend to get smacked down by their peers.

In other news: Sigh. This is going to go well.
In a gaming group bitching about a box of female minis. The sprues are fiddly and complex as all fucking hell for seemingly no good reason. Some people jump in and agree, or laugh at the "letter" I wrote to the designer, which I will probably have to include in the vitriolic letters thread. Then because there's always that one guy, the word "tranny" is used to describe this company's normal female faces. Roll a "Fuck this Guy" check and decide "No. Not sitting this one out" and point out that it's a slur and can we please not use it? as nicely as I can because I like some of these people at least.

Response 1: "It's meant as a slur, to GW. Up until this point (exception for the Juan Diaz Daemonettes from 6th Ed), all of their female face sculpts have looked like men in drag."

My Response: Yes, but it's an actual slur, to actual people. Also drag queens aren't trans gender individuals. It's fine to acknowledge that GW can't sculpt female faces to save their lives (I'm a Sisters of Battle player, I have a fucking CASE of examples) but there's better language with which to do it.

Response 2: "Feel free to take inordinate offense at this, but ignore all the absurd Slaanesh memes in this group."

My Response: Maybe I've just missed the ones that involved transgender slurs, but be sure to point them out to me and I'll make sure I say they're utter bollocks as well. This isn't me taking offense, or even being upset, this is me saying we can and should aspire to better language than words that are and have been used to hurt a small group of people with precious few people on their side.

Conversation's ongoing, but I'm being reasonable so I doubt it's going to go anywhere useful. Though it does kinda bring up a thought I haven't really considered, does the depiction of a hermaphrodite or "female/feminine character with male genitalia" be that an alien species, anthropomorphic hyenas or a certain genre of Japanese porn's obsession with Futas instantly relate back to trans persons as a venue for offense or injury?  For those unfamiliar with 40k Lore Slaanesh is the Chaos God of Excess, and while excess can go a lot of interesting ways, music, art, gluttony, all manner of indulgence, including a Daemon Prince who's excess is literally perfection to a standard that would shame Narcissus. However because Games Workshop and 14 year olds are big fans of a little pandering, the depiction of Slaaneshi forces generally involves a fair amount of sex appeal and tentacles. Though Workshop's backed off on that in the official fluff in the last couple years because parents started paying attention to the shit their sprogs want for Christmas, but it remains in the community and in *shudder* fan art, and a common mutation for the various demons and servants of Slaanesh is a cock where there shouldn't be one based on the rest of the body, a modified dick, extra dicks, tentacles, wahey.

So... I dunno. Zoe beacon any one?

She's like Batman right? Mysterious, reclusive, donating batorangs of knowledge to the mentally underprivileged of subjects within her sphere of knowledge?

In still other news, I can hear an owl outside.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #581 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:10 »

Meh.  Just grab the nearest clue-by-four, preferably with nails in, and use it to beat some sense into the fucks.  Or failing that, some serious head-trauma.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #582 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:52 »

I just realised that the existence of birds of paradise is proof that the "use this one weird trick to make any girl want to have sex with you!" method is being exploited by evolution to great effect.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #583 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:38 »

Does anyone else get annoyed that the past tense of read and the imperative of read are spelled the same? They're pronounced different, so it's not an issue in speech, but I saw a post I made the other day where I said "Just read (example)" and while I meant it as telling people I just had, I realized it could be telling other people to do so. Don't get me wrong, they should, but that's neither here nor there.

Sure, I could solve it by putting "I" in front of it, but I shouldn't have to, damn it :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #584 on: 12 Oct 2014, 08:43 »

And my home girl Neko-Ali came in dual wielding twin cluex4s and the original guy seems to have shut up

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #585 on: 12 Oct 2014, 13:49 »

Random Thought: I miss Patrick.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #586 on: 12 Oct 2014, 14:21 »

I had wondered where he was.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #587 on: 12 Oct 2014, 14:38 »

He's around.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #588 on: 12 Oct 2014, 15:14 »

But he'll be along  :claireface:
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 15:36 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #589 on: 12 Oct 2014, 15:50 »

I know he's around, I still miss him around these parts.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #590 on: 12 Oct 2014, 22:38 »

Who's Patrick?

;)
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #591 on: 12 Oct 2014, 22:48 »

(click to show/hide)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #592 on: 12 Oct 2014, 22:56 »

hahaha

?really?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #593 on: 12 Oct 2014, 23:16 »

I know he's around, I still miss him around these parts.
I think a lot of us have someone who they miss around their parts :claireface:
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #594 on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:14 »

Several.  Raoullefere springs to mind, as does idontunderstand.  And of course the original wielder of the UBMEOD, ... fuck.  Willie Wonka avatar, an Oz-ite, can't think of the name at the moment. 

Bleah, I'm getting old.  Not just older, but old.     :-P
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #595 on: 13 Oct 2014, 13:20 »

I wanted to use a gif I made of a wrestler as my new avatar but this one was took less time to edit.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #596 on: 13 Oct 2014, 15:19 »

Don't Jinx it. We're thirty years in. Some would argue for much longer though they tend to get smacked down by their peers.
In such matters, beginnings are defined variously, for self-interested reasons. Consensus, and who gets smacked down, is just a matter of which set of prejudices is more widely held among those drawing the lines, and who has the power to draw them.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #597 on: 13 Oct 2014, 15:33 »

True, all comes down to how one defines and codifies an act of war, etc..

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #598 on: 13 Oct 2014, 23:50 »

I'm a sucker for vanity plates on my vehicles. I always get 'em, sometimes I change em just fur fun.

Been trying to get these ever since the DMV went online, they always bounce. Guess someone finally released them, because they processed right through without a hitch.

Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #599 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:20 »

For those who may have self-esteem or jealousy issues - if you discover your partner masturbating to pornography without your prior consent or awareness, which is more insulting:
- A porn star who looks a whole lot like you but, and heavy emphasis on the quotation marks here, 'sexier'
- A porn star who looks absolutely nothing like you?

I've been thinking about this lately (no idea why) and it occurred to me that maybe it's actually less offensive for the porn star to bear no resemblance, because that implies there's lust there but no love, whereas if the porn star does look like you, there's an implication that your partner has a 'type' but you're not good enough/sexy enough for them.

Obviously these are all largely irrational and unhealthy thought processes, but hey, that don't mean they don't happen, amirite?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65   Go Up