THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 12:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 547516 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #1000 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:10 »

Actually, the "stronger" tasting coffees are actually weaker when it comes to caffeine content.  The lighter roasts contain more.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1001 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:42 »

I did not know that. It might explain something that has always puzzled me a little. I don't drink a lot of coffee, being mainly a tea snob (big surprise, right?), but when I do drink coffee it is always a "short black" (espresso) or a "long black", to use Australian coffee-shop terminology. Both are strongly flavoured and dark, and yet I have not noticed myself getting twitchy, and can get a good night's sleep even if I have an espresso after dinner. Or maybe I'm just habituated, because there is caffeine in tea too.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1002 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:50 »

I've totally moved away from coffees because I always got flavoured mochas or lattes to cover the coffee taste anyway.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1003 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:22 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1004 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:43 »

Here's lookin' at you kid.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1005 on: 19 Dec 2014, 17:27 »

From how I understand it, dark roasts have less caffeine because the beans have been roasted to death and are stripped of everything! Light roasts still contain a lot of caffeine, but have a milder taste since the flavor people associate with strong coffee is actually mostly the flavor of burnt.

I had roasting explained to me with a ketchup analogy once: Roasting beans to death masks the flavor of the beans but brings out the flavor of roasting in itself which many people actually like, so it's a good way of roasting beans if the beans are of poor quality and don't taste very good to begin with. If you have great quality beans, you should do a light roast since the good flavor is preserved. Kinda like how people put ketchup on fast food to make it taste better, but if you have good quality food, ketchup would make it worse.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1006 on: 19 Dec 2014, 18:08 »

One of my strongest family memories is one if my brothers putting enough ketchup on to his mash potatoes and mixing it so they slowly turned to a quite vibrant pink.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1007 on: 19 Dec 2014, 18:37 »

I did not know that. It might explain something that has always puzzled me a little. I don't drink a lot of coffee, being mainly a tea snob (big surprise, right?), but when I do drink coffee it is always a "short black" (espresso) or a "long black", to use Australian coffee-shop terminology. Both are strongly flavoured and dark, and yet I have not noticed myself getting twitchy, and can get a good night's sleep even if I have an espresso after dinner. Or maybe I'm just habituated, because there is caffeine in tea too.

Metope is right on this one.  I used to work at a coffee shop where we roasted our own stuff.  Even the espresso was a light-medium roast to give it a better flavour.  Most espresso is burnt to hell, as is any "French Roast", or "Italian Roast" for that matter.  If you actually want to taste the coffee, order a light or medium roast. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1008 on: 19 Dec 2014, 19:50 »

I didn't know this. Makes sense, though... kinda like the difference between ordering a stake medium-rare versus well done.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1009 on: 19 Dec 2014, 20:07 »

Most of my life I've been single, but now I'm single for the first time in years and I don't know how to be single. Then again, I never really did, I guess.

I don't get people who like being single. I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't get it.

Edit: Whoa, I hit 12,000 posts!
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2014, 20:33 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1010 on: 19 Dec 2014, 23:30 »

Ouch. So it's definite then?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1011 on: 19 Dec 2014, 23:31 »

Yeah...she didn't say so, but at some point I have to move on.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1012 on: 19 Dec 2014, 23:39 »

I wouldn't call it better, but it's certainly easier to be single. Unless you depend on the other person a lot I guess. Meh, I wouldn't know too much. My most recent "relationship" was pretty much just having drunk sex with the same person every week for a year.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1013 on: 19 Dec 2014, 23:50 »

Well... I'm at a point where I like being single. I date around a bit, I have a couple interests wherein I could be not single if they were willing to go for it. (Including someone on this forum! and it's neither of the people you'd automatically assume! Well. Those people too, but besides the point.) It's nice not being beholden to any one for anything you know?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1014 on: 19 Dec 2014, 23:58 »

One thing I want to say, Method, is this: Don't get hung up on trying to find an answer. It may not appear to you this way, but you're probably not in the proper mindset to hear it right now.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1015 on: 20 Dec 2014, 05:37 »

I'm always looking for answers, Piece of Master. But mostly because I so enjoy the questions :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1016 on: 21 Dec 2014, 04:12 »

Eh, I'm probably only inferring from my own experiences, but when I got answers they never sounded right for me. And I know of so many people that got hung up on trying to find an answer that was right for them and never hearing what I wanted. What I'm trying to say is, the answer that Sarah may give you as to why she ended things may not be the answer you're looking for, and that shouldn't be a motivation to find one for yourself (because, again, only inferring from my experience, you may not be in the right mindset right now to hear answers).

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1017 on: 21 Dec 2014, 10:31 »

Nah, I'm ok. I no longer care why she ended things because I've realized it was for the best. See my post in HHJJ :)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1018 on: 21 Dec 2014, 10:34 »

Blessed Yule to you all by the by

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1019 on: 21 Dec 2014, 13:34 »

The days have been getting shorter for months and it's getting really bad. I don't know how much more of this trend I can take.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1020 on: 21 Dec 2014, 13:38 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1021 on: 21 Dec 2014, 14:12 »

Dal shakka mel!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1022 on: 21 Dec 2014, 16:52 »

The days have been getting shorter for months and it's getting really bad. I don't know how much more of this trend I can take.

In Britain today is the solstice, which means the days will start getting longer again, is that not the case where you are?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

« Reply #1023 on: 21 Dec 2014, 16:54 »

Still takes a while until it gets noticeably lighter though. We're only halfway in the darkness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1024 on: 21 Dec 2014, 16:55 »

Of course it does, I was just trying to put a positive spin on it. At least the worst is over, officially, from today. And being halfway in means you're halfway out.

Metope

« Reply #1025 on: 21 Dec 2014, 17:02 »

But... so loooong ughhhh (I may or may not be getting a cold and feel like complaining)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1026 on: 21 Dec 2014, 17:14 »

Would it help for me to say that we just passed the longest day of the year, and that it is 29C (84F) outside?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1027 on: 21 Dec 2014, 17:20 »

In Britain today is the solstice, which means the days will start getting longer again, is that not the case where you are?
The days are about to start getting brighter. The mornings, not so much.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1028 on: 21 Dec 2014, 17:45 »

Would it help for me to say that we just passed the longest day of the year, and that it is 29C (84F) outside?

Uhm, no.

But we'll remember you come June.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1029 on: 21 Dec 2014, 17:52 »

The days are about to start getting brighter. The mornings, not so much.

Man, you guys are really doing a great job shitting on my attempt to cheer cold up a little bit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1030 on: 21 Dec 2014, 18:43 »

To be fair, you succeeded in cheering me up!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1031 on: 22 Dec 2014, 07:35 »

I would love to see a newly weds style show with best friends and the 3 "couple" contestants are Sean and Gus from Psych, Turk and JD from Scrubs, and Abed and Troy from Community.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1032 on: 23 Dec 2014, 00:33 »

I cannot confirm that any contents of the article is true. I cannot confirm that I have ever been to the nation of PRONA, or that the United States performs any of this training. I cannot confirm that I STILL fucking hate and have odd reactions to that fucking Kipling poem. I cannot confirm that this is one of the most in depth and accurate descriptions of SERE East that I have ever read.

War Criminal 131 signing off.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/sere-school-just-tortured-2014-12?utm_content=buffer3f4a9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1033 on: 24 Dec 2014, 00:25 »

I want to travel where life travels,
following its permanent lead
Where the air tastes like snow music
Where grass smells like fresh-born Eden
I would pass no man, no stranger, no tragedy or rapture
I would bathe in a world of sensation
Love, goodness and simplicity

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1034 on: 24 Dec 2014, 00:50 »

So, I've had a lot of spam bots on the forums I help admin (a gaming community with a few hundred members or so), you guys ever get those here?

An update for you:

Spam bots don't get through the comprehensive defences we have set up.  What we have been seeing for several weeks now is a sustained attempt to post spam by humans, in Ukraine I think.  They can answer the check questions (I changed those to check that they weren't simply bots programmed with the answers), and the point at which they get stopped is a lookup on a crowd-sourced database of email and IP addresses that have been seen to originate spam; this is stopping dozens of new accounts every day - but occasionally one will slip through (and get added to the database to save others).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1035 on: 24 Dec 2014, 00:55 »

So, apparently, we had gotten rid of our spam protection after there weren't any incidents for a few months. We just got it back up thankfully.

Some of the bots were posting child porn so... ... regular spam is one thing, but we cannot have that shit going on.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1036 on: 24 Dec 2014, 03:38 »

...why'd you get rid of spam protection?
"I have been celibate for months and haven't gotten pregnant, so I guess I don't need to use condoms next time?" [emoji14]syduck:
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1037 on: 24 Dec 2014, 04:03 »

I forget the reasoning, I don't deal with that stuff. I think we paid for it and were just trying to save some money. Our operating costs are like $120 a month and it's all based off donations. We never have problems meeting that number so I dunno why a few extra bucks matters, but I'm not in charge.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1038 on: 27 Dec 2014, 12:23 »

I cannot confirm that any contents of the article is true. I cannot confirm that I have ever been to the nation of PRONA, or that the United States performs any of this training. I cannot confirm that I STILL fucking hate and have odd reactions to that fucking Kipling poem. I cannot confirm that this is one of the most in depth and accurate descriptions of SERE East that I have ever read.

War Criminal 131 signing off.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/sere-school-just-tortured-2014-12?utm_content=buffer3f4a9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Just wondering. Given the number of servicemen who go through SERE, has anyone ever made it through the evasion phase? It seems the probability exists that at least one by incidence has managed to slip through the cordon. Either by luck, judgement or a mix of the two.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1039 on: 27 Dec 2014, 12:28 »

Not many service members go through SERE. It's a rather exclusive school. I know at least one person's "made it" in the last few years, but it's pretty rare. There's a certain amount of design that goes into evasion and capture, especially modernly. You're in contact with "Allied Forces" and are getting "orders and objectives" during the Evasion phase that might not be there or be pertinent during a real evasion.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1040 on: 28 Dec 2014, 02:25 »

Can't sleep. Foolin around the poker cub at 2:30 am. Probably not wise.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #1041 on: 28 Dec 2014, 08:53 »

Like GM says, SERE training is surprisingly rare.  Only people who will probably need it go through it, like the crazy bastards who parachute into hostile places to perform rescue operations.  The evasion section is pretty much rigged against the trainee, so without some kind of previous knowledge or training, actually evading is slightly less likely than winning the lottery.  Someone with considerable wilderness survival knowledge might have a chance, but we have infrared cameras mounted on things that fly, so not really.  The infrared systems I worked on could tell how full the base water tower was, and could literally see a fart on a cold day.  Spotting a dude running through the woods would be pretty easy. 

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1042 on: 28 Dec 2014, 14:22 »

So I logged six hours at a 5-5 no limit table for a net total of....... -$10. Talk about your unsatisfying evenings.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1043 on: 30 Dec 2014, 08:31 »

I'm considering living in a loft-type apartment that is located below a pizza parlor. This would be starting in August. The rent is cheap, it's actually walking distance to campus, and every room has its own bathroom which is rare for a downtown apartment. But it has no windows, and my mother mentioned the possibility that living below a restaurant might attract bugs.

The only other places I've found that meet my needs (close to campus, private bathroom) are located in old-as-shit buildings and also don't have the benefit of all-inclusive rent.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1044 on: 01 Jan 2015, 10:44 »

What if the concept of privilege is just a self expression of already internalized racist, sexist, and classist norms?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1045 on: 01 Jan 2015, 12:44 »

Doesn't work like that, privilege is what you are given through no action of your own, doesn't matter what norms you do or don't have.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1046 on: 01 Jan 2015, 13:39 »

Perhaps not, but GM's musing is a pretty good explanation of why people are typically not aware of their privilege, because they have internalised racist, sexist, classist etc. norms. It is the old story of why a fish is not aware of water.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1047 on: 01 Jan 2015, 13:57 »

Doesn't work like that, privilege is what you are given through no action of your own, doesn't matter what norms you do or don't have.

I more meant the assumption of  privilege. "Well he's white so he has to have it better then me."

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1048 on: 02 Jan 2015, 17:10 »

TV ads now seem to fall exclusively in two categories:
1) Sad-looking kitties want your money.
2) Sad-looking children want your money.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1049 on: 02 Jan 2015, 17:33 »

Damn, you're ages ahead of Spain. We don't have kitties that want our money.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65   Go Up