THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532891 times)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #1300 on: 20 Feb 2015, 15:29 »

But Masterpiece, it's sad that someone like you is brought down by such inferior software :(

(I am, you might have noticed, being completely unserious)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1301 on: 20 Feb 2015, 19:22 »

Yeah, if everyone's gonna bring that up again I'm outta here.
As much as I'm anti-M$, I do have one friend with a Windows phone.  I actually found the interface rather intuitive and it looked like it would provide a better user experience than either my Android, or the Crackberry that it replaced.  But given the low market penetration, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the software was more glitchy on that platform than Android or iOS.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2015, 03:48 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1302 on: 21 Feb 2015, 03:25 »

It's not glitchy as much as it just isn't there. The apps that are work wonderfully (see Lumia Storyteller as an example).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1303 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:46 »

How often these days do Oscars get won for roles that don't scream 'FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION' under the fucking trailers?

I mean I knew Michael Keaton never really had a shot, but I'd really love it if somebody won an Oscar for such an obscure, strange part.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1304 on: 23 Feb 2015, 10:29 »

How often these days do Oscars get won for roles that don't scream 'FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION' under the fucking trailers?

I mean I knew Michael Keaton never really had a shot, but I'd really love it if somebody won an Oscar for such an obscure, strange part.

Yeah, they don't give Oscars for eccentricity, unless the eccentricity comes in tandem with a disease or disorder, or an actor (or, more frequently, actress) "bravely" plays someone average-looking.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1305 on: 23 Feb 2015, 10:43 »

It's a shame Keaton didin't win that one.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1306 on: 23 Feb 2015, 14:50 »

The only thing I know about the Oscars this year is that I worked with someone who has an Oscar nominated short film. That is so cool.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1307 on: 23 Feb 2015, 15:06 »

I mean I knew Michael Keaton never really had a shot
Did you? I fully expected him to win. Honestly, I would've been much less surprised with him winning and the movie not getting Best Picture than I was with this result.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1308 on: 23 Feb 2015, 15:10 »

I mean I knew Michael Keaton never really had a shot
Did you? I fully expected him to win. Honestly, I would've been much less surprised with him winning and the movie not getting Best Picture than I was with this result.

You kidding? We had someone going full retard* to play Stephen Hawking. He never had a chance.

*SATIRE

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1309 on: 23 Feb 2015, 15:15 »

To be fair, Reddiemayne* was excellent in that movie, but still, Michael Keaton in Birdman was MICHAEL KEATON IN BIRDMAN.

*the nickname for him that I just made up and will now call him nothing else

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1310 on: 23 Feb 2015, 17:43 »

I just saw the worst example of male privilege ever and it's disgusting and makes me be embarrassed of my manliness.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1311 on: 23 Feb 2015, 17:46 »

I just saw the worst example of male privilege ever and it's disgusting and makes me be embarrassed of my manliness.

What was there a, "you can only work here if you have testicles" sign or something? I apologize if I sounded flippant, I am genuinely interested in what it could be. It's like opening a Christmas Present that kinda smells weird. You're not sure you wanna know, but you just gotta know.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1312 on: 23 Feb 2015, 17:46 »

As long as the example you saw wasn't in the mirror, you've nothing to be ashamed of.

looktall

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1313 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:04 »

You kidding? We had someone going full retard* to play Stephen Hawking. He never had a chance.

*SATIRE

But he didn't go full retard. That's why he won.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1314 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:22 »

*SATIRE
But he didn't go full retard. That's why he won.

According to the I Am Sam Rule, you are correct. I just wanted to use that joke. And make the point that if you play someone with a disability or is 'ugly' or is a 'real person' instead of a character, you may as well just install an Oscar shelf as soon as the movie wraps.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 03:43 by Gareth »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1315 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:24 »

"To be honest I think I deserved to be together with you and never really understood why you never wanted that"

This message is coming from Tapatalk inside my phone!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1316 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:31 »

Well that deserves a slap. Or a few.... you know, whatever it takes to let him know that's not an okay thing to think.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1317 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:57 »

Well the entire conversation was peppered with misogyny and sexist remarks, all while trying to convince a woman who was the complete antithesis of into him and only saw him as a friend to get her to be with him.

Hold on, no, that is not what happened, he "heard" that woman had made out with me (which is not true and he should have known that, he was on the same party!) and promptly WROTE HER, not spoke to her or anything, no he cowardly wrote her that "he couldn't take it anymore" and that "she was dead to him" and that he "couldn't even get over the fact that she would make out with me (Masterpiece) but not with him, cause he's such a nice guy" and apparently he sees me as some sort of ass.

My roommate, everybody!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1318 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:02 »

The guy is thirty years old. He frequently gives me shit on how immature I apparently behave. He lectures me on how I'm not a good friend to him. That was funny because up until that moment I wasn't even aware he saw us as friends. He was just roommate to me.

Stupid hypocrite [mod snip]

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 04:06 by Gareth »

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1319 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:04 »

I'm not sure that's as much "male privilege" as much as some doucher who thinks he's a "nice guy". But I guess those things can overlap, "Im 'nice' therefore girls should fuck me". I never understood this, if you feel like you're owed something from a girl how does that make you a good guy?

I had a roomate like that as well. I "may" have beaten him up and only felt kinda bad about it (I specifically beat him up for calling my friends [mod snip] and just being a douchebag in general).
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 04:07 by Gareth »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1320 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:06 »

Moderator Comment The c-bomb is generally frowned upon on here so if we could please refrain from using it (I used to use it as well!)

Out of mod mode, the guy does sound like he's gone flying into MRA territory pretty sharply. He sounds awful, you have my sympathies for living with someone like that.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1321 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:10 »

I apologize, I was quoting and will use "c-word" (if at all) instead from now on, I did not know. I certainly would never call someone else that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1322 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:36 »

Don't worry, I'm not mad at anybody and no-one's getting warned or banned or anything - I used that word frequently until relatively recently also, it's just no longer acceptable on here.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1323 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:56 »

I fully understand, I ban people from my community's server/forum for that very reason; there are very little instances where you call someone that word and mean it in a respectful way.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1324 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:02 »

I suppose the issue isn't so much disrespecting the person your're calling that word, it's the several billion other people you're disrespecting at the same time. And it isn't that some people aren't deserving of that level of disrespect, but really we need to use a better alternative.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 05:15 by The Seldom Killer »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1325 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:05 »

Using the word is utterly unacceptable; there may be contexts when quoting it is acceptable, or sometimes even to the point - but caution is advised none the less.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1326 on: 24 Feb 2015, 05:09 »

I use it as a gender in-exclusive word, but I do feel that it can be taken too far. I use it as a term for a person that does not consider another person's feelings, but I do realize that it can be used as a slur towards many people. I generally only use it when I'm incredulously offended by someone's actions.

EDIT - In any case, I did just adamantly suggest we perma-ban (it was originally for a week) a person from my community's gaming server (it's a counter-strike server), for telling someone else "Die F----t". with a few more die other horrible words thrown in there. As someone's whose brother has died recently I get FUCKING PISSED whenever someone ever suggests someone else die (unless it's like... Bin Laden type evil I guess). Goddamn it, I needed to go to bed forever ago and now I need to hit stuff.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 05:40 by explicit »

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1327 on: 24 Feb 2015, 09:30 »

Wait, why is the C-word banned now? It's the only vagina-related cuss word that doesn't mean weak/treacherous/cowardly! Makes me sad that that's the word people get hung up on over for example: "you're such a pussy".
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1328 on: 24 Feb 2015, 09:39 »

Nothing has changed; that word is viewed differently on opposite sides of the Atlantic, and pragmatically we take the stricter view.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1329 on: 24 Feb 2015, 09:40 »

Ah right, I think I remember that discussion vaguely. Still don't agree, but oh well.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1330 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:30 »

I don't agree either, the girl I've been with for a year greeted me with it at the start of our second date. We're a bit more liberal about that word over here, but it's a LOT stronger in the US than it is over here.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1331 on: 24 Feb 2015, 14:31 »

I always suspected that.  In the beginning of the radio version of Hitchhiker's, when a local Dame is dedicating the bypass, you can hear a bystander shout, "Why don't you shove off, you c---faced old bat!" 

I could clearly hear what he said, and though it was meant as background, I was amazed that it made it past the censors. 

But it was the BBC radio version I was listening to... and I'm pretty sure that it didn't make it into the book or any other version. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1332 on: 24 Feb 2015, 21:12 »

My old Macbook which I had been using as a desktop computer at home has finally bit the dust, so I'm now using my Raspberry Pi in that role. The default web browser on the Pi (Dillo) is in general a piece of crap, but it renders the forum surprisingly competently. Except for the "This topic is locked" message when I try to post in a thread.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1333 on: 24 Feb 2015, 21:55 »

I don't agree either, the girl I've been with for a year greeted me with it at the start of our second date. We're a bit more liberal about that word over here, but it's a LOT stronger in the US than it is over here.

Have you heard an American say it? Our accent(s) make it sound like a physical assault.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1334 on: 24 Feb 2015, 22:05 »

I have certainly noticed the dissonance, having lived, and knowing people on both sides of the pond.  Then again, I've known a few Germans who cringe at the word "Fotze", so maybe USAians aren't alone.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1335 on: 24 Feb 2015, 23:44 »

Well, it's a terrible word. Like moist.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1336 on: 25 Feb 2015, 01:03 »

Have you heard an American say it? Our accent(s) make it sound like a physical assault.

Yes, numerous ones, and in truth I think it actually sounds more aggressive in our various dialects (although not all).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1337 on: 25 Feb 2015, 10:40 »

Just discovered that the Assassin's Creed universe is the same universe as Watch Dogs.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1338 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:23 »

Daredevil may have been blinded by the same Ooze as the Turtles.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1339 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:29 »

That'd probably explain how the last two movies that featured them were both very bad.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1340 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:30 »

but then what mutant is daredevil of?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1341 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:45 »

Well, it's a terrible word. Like moist.
There is nothing wrong with that word.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1342 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:48 »

I never know whether to be aroused or disgusted upon hearing that word. It's a little bit of both which is very confusing to me.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1343 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:00 »

It is a bit squicky, as words go.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1344 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:11 »

I thinks its a perfectly reasonable word to use.

The cake is quite moist.

Take a moist cloth and gently wipe the tv screen of dust.

etc.

Its only questionable, in my opinion, when used for sexual innuendo.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1345 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:36 »

Or just to describe a person or object that isn't food in general.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1346 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:45 »

Yeah, I'd give you a provisional pass on the cake. Damp would work just as well for the cloth, and as for anything else, just... no.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1347 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:50 »

hehe... damp...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1348 on: 25 Feb 2015, 13:16 »

The guy is thirty years old. He frequently gives me shit on how immature I apparently behave. He lectures me on how I'm not a good friend to him. That was funny because up until that moment I wasn't even aware he saw us as friends. He was just roommate to me.

Stupid hypocrite [mod snip]

Know where you're coming from.  Had a friend like that, and after nearly 20 years, he finally blew it with me two years back

Haven't spoken to him since.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1349 on: 25 Feb 2015, 13:19 »

Honestly I kinda like the sound of the word moist, but I'd probably use it less if it wasn't so funny to see people react to it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 65   Go Up