THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532603 times)

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #1750 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:00 »

In about half an hour, I get to quote Hanners about paint drying! In a college class! To people!

Paraphrase, really, but she was correct in what she said, so I mean, I'm not going to be citing her as my source, it just happens that her monologue is what gave me the idea to include a whole slide on how paint dries.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1751 on: 27 Jun 2015, 15:32 »

It's a shame my boyfriend was already married once, otherwise we should have totally engraved our wedding bands with #yowo
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

looktall

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1752 on: 28 Jun 2015, 20:47 »

It's a shame my boyfriend was already married once, otherwise we should have totally engraved our wedding bands with #yowo

what if you went and got married to someone else first and then got divorced?

then you could have #yowt

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1753 on: 29 Jun 2015, 17:15 »

Now I'm imagining Nancy Sinatra singing "You only wed twice..."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1754 on: 30 Jun 2015, 01:32 »

Why in the name of everloving crikey do news stories like this one quote what people have tweeted, and then EMBED THE BLOODY TWEET.

You just told us what it said! Why are you showing us???
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1755 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:35 »

I guess to make it easy for people to retweet.

Oh wait, no, I just looked and it's a picture of the tweet. Ok, that's fucking stupid.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1756 on: 30 Jun 2015, 14:15 »

I'm guessing for people with screen-readers? I don't know if they can read embedded tweets, which if they can they should just do that, but if they're pictures maybe that's why.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1757 on: 30 Jun 2015, 15:33 »

It's the picture itself that's pointless.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1758 on: 30 Jun 2015, 16:30 »

Ah, I got my reasoning backwards.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1759 on: 30 Jun 2015, 18:23 »

You just told us what it said! Why are you showing us???
Evidence that the tweet was actually made, and the columnist didn't just make it up? Even if it is subsequently deleted? Rather as that public shaming Tumblr thing does?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1760 on: 01 Jul 2015, 02:37 »

We're in a fairly interesting period in the development of digital social media where the masses are learning that they can hold people to account faster than they're leaning that they can be held accountable. It's happened before with TV and radio and live broadcasting, except the thing that the majority haven't really got to grips with is that this really can affect absolutely anyone, anywhere, at anytime.

What amuses me is that this new era has given rise to the notion of a "keyboard warrior" where people are accused of hiding behind a veil of digital anonymity that allows them to say anything they like without consequences. That is, to an extent, a truism. But the flip side of that is that what is dismissively classed as "saying anything they like" also very much includes "saying exactly what they think". Part of what is shocking and upsetting us these days is the blunt, unadulterated, unfiltered truth. We've given people the means to shed social conventions and they've used it.

Perhaps this, more than many others, is a situation deserving of one of my favourite catchphrases: "How did you think this was going to end?"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1761 on: 01 Jul 2015, 07:03 »

We're in a fairly interesting period in the development of digital social media where the masses are learning that they can hold people to account faster than they're leaning that they can be held accountable. It's happened before with TV and radio and live broadcasting, except the thing that the majority haven't really got to grips with is that this really can affect absolutely anyone, anywhere, at anytime.

What amuses me is that this new era has given rise to the notion of a "keyboard warrior" where people are accused of hiding behind a veil of digital anonymity that allows them to say anything they like without consequences. That is, to an extent, a truism. But the flip side of that is that what is dismissively classed as "saying anything they like" also very much includes "saying exactly what they think". Part of what is shocking and upsetting us these days is the blunt, unadulterated, unfiltered truth. We've given people the means to shed social conventions and they've used it.

Perhaps this, more than many others, is a situation deserving of one of my favourite catchphrases: "How did you think this was going to end?"

It's too bad we don't have a "LOVE IT!" button on this forum, because this post deserves one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1762 on: 01 Jul 2015, 09:05 »

Steady on lad.

I'm hoping someone will come along and do the usual and say it better and say more.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1763 on: 04 Jul 2015, 12:21 »

I think I'm getting burned out on the internet.

Lately, people are just... getting to me.

I have no problem with people lacking intelligence. It can't be helped, and it's not a personality flaw. Some of the nicest people I've ever met are incredibly stupid and/or uneducated, some of the biggest arseholes I've ever met have been super intelligent. So I don't want to be like 'I am sick of internet stupidity'.

First of all, Facebook is a cesspit. Top trending story the other day - Jennifer Lawrence wears a pencil skirt and crop top. That was it. THAT WAS FUCKING IT. And the third from top? Someone I've never heard of posing topless on the front of W magazine, which I've also barely heard of. And everything is minion memes, or inspirational bullshit, or trendy charitable causes, or complaints about minion memes. I really want to delete my Facebook, but outside of the Newsfeed it's such a perfect central point for contacting friends of mine around the globe.

I've also been idiotically reading Amazon reviews lately, and Asda ones, actually. This is an example of stupidity which is actually... well, I don't want to say malignant, but could be damaging.

Products on Amazon being reviewed, and the review is like one star out of five, 'arrived late, when it arrived it was perfect.' THAT'S A REVIEW OF THE SELLER NOT THE PRODUCT. I'm sure plenty of people, like me, don't even click on a product we're considering unless it's four stars or up, and if it's a small seller, your idiotic one star review of their delivery NOT their product, could have a serious effect on their income.

It doesn't matter so much on Asda, but their home delivery app is relatively new, so some products only have one review, and the reviews are just... someone gave some chocolate bars one star out of five because the pack they got sent was a month out of date. How is that a review of the product? Is ever single chocolate bar in every single star a month out of date? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1764 on: 04 Jul 2015, 12:32 »

I love you.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1765 on: 04 Jul 2015, 12:37 »

Oh man the review thing... I was shopping for a bag and a phone-wallet a while ago and I read a bunch of reviews for different products, it's incredible how ratings happen. One of the wallet reviews had one star because their iPhone 6 didn't fit in it, while the description of the product itself clearly stated the wallet was designed for the iPhone 5... Same thing with bags: "this bag is way smaller than I expected", the measurements are RIGHT THERE.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1766 on: 04 Jul 2015, 12:51 »

I also saw one when I was trying to find my Fallout review for another thread, where someone had given Fallout 3, widely regarded as one of the greatest computer games ever made, one star, because he didn't have enough hard drive space for it.

And previous times, I've seen people giving bad reviews for a Limp Bizkit hits collection because of it having too many covers on. That's a legit criticism, except it's painfully obvious they didn't listen to the album, because almost every single one listed 'My Generation,' which is not a cover of the Who song, but an original Bizkit composition of the same name.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1767 on: 04 Jul 2015, 15:21 »

It's funny, that reminded me of a thing that I've kinda thought about for a while. 2011-2013 clearly was a bright period of time for EDM because everybody and their mom had a track called Lights. KlaYpex, not even content with their own Lights, remixed Ellie Goulding's "When I'm Alone (Lights)".

The point being that people end up having similar titles because there's a limited number of words in a language.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1768 on: 06 Jul 2015, 01:30 »

And to top off my Amazon reviews rant, some posted a 'correction' in response to a review I wrote of Nick Cave's The Good Son.

In April 2006.

They wrote to point out that Murder Ballads came out after The Good Son.

I had used the phrase 'murder ballads,' which was of course, a pre-existing phrase before Nick Cave released an album named after them. I replied to the comment about three minutes later saying almost exactly that, except I used the word 'neologism' just to appear as up my own arse as possible. I also pointed out that the review was from nine fucking years ago.

looktall

« Reply #1769 on: 06 Jul 2015, 15:36 »

Did you sign off with "so suck it"?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1770 on: 08 Jul 2015, 02:09 »

Nah, my name on there is attached to my seller account so I need a good reputation.

In other news - it amuses me how the different faculties in my college are each competent or incompetent in different flavours.

- There's the faculty that will do everything immaculately.
- There's the faculty that will do everything immaculately - if it directly benefits them. Otherwise they'll refuse to do it flat out.
- There's the faculty that will enthusiastically attempt to do anything you ask, but fuck it up.
- And there's the faculty that never do what you ask of them because they don't check their emails and their managers are complete dick.

Circle of life I suppose.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1771 on: 08 Jul 2015, 14:59 »

Why are there no modern cars that have flywheels? If all cars had those installed when it was feasible to do so, wouldn't we have collectively saved millions of liters of fuel by now?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1772 on: 08 Jul 2015, 15:35 »

What about the problems it would cause with turning?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1773 on: 08 Jul 2015, 15:47 »

Also they're rather difficult to set up, specially once they get to a semi-large size.

Then there's Nissan's LMP1 vehicle and a 7kg flywheel that caused a nightmare on the setup, but that's talking about extremes.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1774 on: 08 Jul 2015, 16:27 »

What about the problems it would cause with turning?
Is that a problem when they're mounted on the back wheels? I can see how making the front wheels heavier would make them harder to turn while moving, but on the other hand, this seems like an easy variable for account for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in modern cars the force applied to the wheels to make them turn is multiple steps away from the degree to which the steering wheel is turned, right? That's regulated by the onboard computer for safety reasons, I assume. Adding proportionally more force for the weight of the flywheel and the speed of the vehicle seems rather simple.

If not, flywheels on the back don't have this problem, do they? The force that makes the car turn when the wheels turn should be vastly stronger than the additional gyroscopic force from the flywheels that counteracts turning. Unless I'm underestimating the weight of the flywheel. Do they have to meet a certain minimum weight in order to be effective?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1775 on: 12 Jul 2015, 14:16 »

I ordered something last week, and it shipped on the 6th, out of Milwaukee. The "estimated delivery date" is the 17th. Milwaukee is 1 hour by car from here...  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1776 on: 12 Jul 2015, 18:43 »

It has to ship down to Louisville, where it then has to go to the Kansas City hub, which then has to fly up to MSP, which then sends a truck down I-94 to their distribution center in Waukesha, which then puts it on a truck for that one hour trip to Madison.

Where it sits at the shipping hub in Madison until they can find a driver to miss your place of delivery because he's being paid minimum wage and it's hot out.
Just another Joe like 46

looktall

« Reply #1777 on: 12 Jul 2015, 20:13 »

I ordered something last week, and it shipped on the 6th, out of Milwaukee. The "estimated delivery date" is the 17th. Milwaukee is 1 hour by car from here...  :psyduck:
i had something being delivered to me at work.
it was being drop shipped from the vendor's warehouse.
i checked the tracking at 8am and it said it was on the truck for delivery.
it was finally delivered at 430pm.

the vendors warehouse is literally visible from my place of employment.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1778 on: 12 Jul 2015, 20:20 »

That's because he did his entire round before going to your place of work. It's not a 24h delivery that extends 18 days.

Thankfully, I don't have troubles with shippings because I never have money to order anything. Being poor had to have a perk.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1779 on: 13 Jul 2015, 12:33 »

My computer concepts class today required us to make a powerpoint for a presentation on Galileo. We had to insert photos, from the internet if possible, but my computer could only use clip art.

This is how I learned QC shows up when you search 'Philosopher.'

I don't know how this happened, but a nine year old strip appeared, between Dora and Marten, and it made me very happy.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1780 on: 13 Jul 2015, 13:44 »

Which one?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1781 on: 13 Jul 2015, 14:00 »

Which one?

It was sometime in 2006, and Marten was complaining to Dora, and it turned philosophical, that's all I can remember. There wasn't a comic #, and there wasn't a title visible. They did some kind of cropping thing that could've cut off the top.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1782 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:44 »

I met a little girl the other day who's name is Isis. She may have a tough time growing up.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1783 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:49 »

That's sad because it's a beautiful name, at least imo. I guess everything changed when the fire(arms) nation attacked.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1784 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:08 »

A friend of mine's sister is called Isis.

One of my favourite Bob Dylan songs is called Isis.

In a few years' time, no one will remember this ISIS.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1785 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:05 »

Someone told a story on the internet about how he was afraid of getting a tattoo because he thought in twenty years time, it could become the modern equivalent of a swastika. His friend had no such concerns... and had a tattoo set of his favourite band, ISIS.

Anyway, hasn't everyone settled on calling it IS now?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1786 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:13 »

Isis is the name of the main river through Oxford (it's called the Thames elsewhere, but let's not quibble over such things - both names are formed from the same Latin root anyway).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1787 on: 14 Jul 2015, 06:26 »

My computer concepts class today required us to make a powerpoint for a presentation on Galileo. We had to insert photos, from the internet if possible, but my computer could only use clip art.

I don't know how this happened, but a nine year old strip appeared, between Dora and Marten, and it made me very happy.

I'm betting it was 976.
Just another Joe like 46

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1788 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:43 »

I'm betting it was 976.

Nope. It was just Marten and Dora, and it's not showing up today, for some reason.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #1789 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:57 »

I found it highly disappointing this morning that the email I received titled "degas time" was not about the history of French impressionist art.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1790 on: 14 Jul 2015, 15:27 »

The hell else could that be about
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1791 on: 14 Jul 2015, 15:29 »

DeGassing?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1792 on: 14 Jul 2015, 15:30 »

Like de-gassing? With a proper dash? That makes sense.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1793 on: 14 Jul 2015, 15:39 »

Isis is the name of the main river through Oxford (it's called the Thames elsewhere, but let's not quibble over such things - both names are formed from the same Latin root anyway).
I thought it was the Cherwell, but it seems I was wrong. It probably comes from learning about Oxford from Gaudy Night.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #1794 on: 14 Jul 2015, 15:48 »

DeGassing?
It was a grad student in the lab I used to work in asking how long he should de-gas an ion gauge.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1795 on: 14 Jul 2015, 16:06 »

The Cherwell joins the Isis alongside Christ Church Meadow.  Having two rivers that join in the centre of town has contributed to the traffic problems!

Isis is also the name of the second Oxford boat in the Boat Race (Cambridge's is called Goldie).  Cherwell is the name of a student newspaper which was notable for continuing to be published through the General Strike in 1926.

Other river names to be careful of:  the Thame joins the Thames at Dorchester, a little South of Oxford; there are rivers called Avon and Stour all around the country, so you often need to check which is being talked about.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1796 on: 14 Jul 2015, 18:33 »

Kinda like Old Hickory Boulevard in Nashville.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1797 on: 15 Jul 2015, 10:40 »

If you're inclined to be particularly pedantic, you shouldn't call it the River Avon as Avon transliterates as river. Another of those fine English moments when an occupying force deigned to ask the indigenous people what something was called and they responded on the simplest terms possible.

Of course when whatever actually counts for being British became cohesive enough to be an occupying force itself, we just did the same thing to whichever poor sods we were rampantly territorialising at the time. And because traditions are important, it seems like the Americans may have been doing the same again in its recently occupied territories.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1798 on: 15 Jul 2015, 13:42 »

But all that came about when the Norman Orcs invaded Aengland and defeated her weaponed men.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1799 on: 15 Jul 2015, 15:14 »

And then, centuries later, sent their losers and convicts to Aussie and New Zealand...
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 65   Go Up