Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 25 Sep 2017, 15:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 99713 times)

Tova

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Friendshipper
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #2750 on: 24 Jun 2017, 18:56 »

I decided today that I would pick up my completely dormant instagram account and upload a picture I'd taken recently and quite liked. After a lot of random clicking, I finally learned that the only way to upload a picture to instagram is via their mobile app. Am I just hopelessly behind the times in reacting to this with a good hearty WTF?
It's all about the jokes!

LTK

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2751 on: 25 Jun 2017, 02:30 »

That seems really WTF to me as well. Every aspiring photographer without a wifi-equipped camera is just shit outta luck then?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tova

• Friendshipper
« Reply #2752 on: 25 Jun 2017, 03:43 »

Maybe they really don't want photographers, just people snapping mobile phone shots, I don't know.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • Methuselah's mentor
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2753 on: 25 Jun 2017, 04:23 »

Yeah, I only started using it this year and felt the same when I realised. I guess it is "insta"gram so in theory you're meant to be uploading photos you just took using the app, but you can upload from old photos from your gallery so that's goes against that model.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2754 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:45 »

I realised that being a sadomasochist allows me to get along with cats better.

Bear with me.

Cats when they play with you will slash the shit out of you (my right hand is a ruin right now).

As a dom, I both enjoy pain and inflicting pain, but I do that to the people I love. Pain is not harm. Pain, in my context, is love.

So when I am playing with the cats and they are biting me and scratching me - it's just an expression of love. And it makes perfect sense to me and I totally understand them. And it means I can tolerate a LOT more of their savagery than most.

It was a happy realisation.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Grognard

• Duck attack survivor
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2755 on: 05 Jul 2017, 22:42 »

make sure you CLEAN those cuts very thoroughly, or you'll get a lovable infection too.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #2756 on: 06 Jul 2017, 03:02 »

Oh I'm well on top of that - I'm aware that their claws I think secret something designed to make the cuts not heal.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
« Reply #2757 on: 16 Jul 2017, 17:04 »

Cats seem to have a sub side as well. There was one kinky person who wrote about chasing the cats around the apartment with a water pistol (after a verbal warning). This didn't ruin their relationship. When one of the cats got pregnant she decided the safest place to give birth was in the lap of the human who occasionally shouted "Arbitrary Harassment!".

---

Doesn't "Bamboo" sound like it should be the name of a cartoon character?
Leaning over the edge in wonder,
Casting questions into the deep.
Quote from: an unnamed minister's sermon
In your face, darkness!  We are the light and we outnumber you!

jwhouk

• Mentat
  • The Great North Woods
« Reply #2758 on: 16 Jul 2017, 19:03 »

Upon receiving this month's pack of blades from Dollar Shave Club, I happened to peruse the little newsletter they stick in with the blade package.

Said newsletter had a quote from a certain author we all know and love:

A good relationship is like fireworks: loud, explosive, and liable to maim you if you hold on too long.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Cast List

LTK

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2759 on: 17 Jul 2017, 08:18 »

If I'd gotten here a minute sooner I could have posted at 17:17:17 at 17-7-2017.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Case

• Only pretending to work
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2760 on: 17 Jul 2017, 08:36 »

I realised that being a sadomasochist allows me to get along with cats better.

Bear with me.

Cats when they play with you will slash the shit out of you (my right hand is a ruin right now).

As a dom, I both enjoy pain and inflicting pain, but I do that to the people I love. Pain is not harm. Pain, in my context, is love.

So when I am playing with the cats and they are biting me and scratching me - it's just an expression of love. And it makes perfect sense to me and I totally understand them. And it means I can tolerate a LOT more of their savagery than most.

It was a happy realisation.

I'm a cat person myself, and while I didn't mind the odd scratch & scar (or twenty) when we still had one, I usually didn't go in so much for the "rough play" - mostly because I didn't feel comfortable judging when it's play, or the cat feeling distressed.

It appears that cats have thinner skin that humans (human skin thickness varies between 0.5 mm on eyelids and 4mm on palms), but:

Here is a PDF link about dog and cat skin thickness. It states that dogs have a thickness of 2.6-5.2mm , while a cat has 0.4-3.6mm skin thickness. One should also take into consideration cats skin is more flexible and hangs off of the muscle, so that injuries are more superficial.

So the cat may not be the best judge of what is likely to break skin and what isn't (or it might regard that as "one of those questions, you know?")

But yes, they're adorable happy little Marquis' de Sade (guess he'd been delighted to have been born with 20 retractable daggers). 
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2017, 08:42 by Case »
Quote from: Rosa Luxemburg
Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter
Quote from: Akima
Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them.

Castlerook

• Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #2761 on: 17 Jul 2017, 08:49 »

If I'd gotten here a minute sooner I could have posted at 17:17:17 at 17-7-2017.

Well now you have to live with the shame of being a minute late. Forever.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2017, 19:23 by TheEvilDog »
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Akima

• comeback tour!
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2762 on: 17 Jul 2017, 19:11 »

Doesn't "Bamboo" sound like it should be the name of a cartoon character?
So does "Shampoo":

(click to show/hide)
"I am a font of merriment and good cheer."

Tova

• Friendshipper
« Reply #2763 on: 19 Jul 2017, 04:28 »

Some time ago, I was reading a thread that was discussing something to do with humans responding locally to climate change. And I immediately thought to recommend a book I'd read not too long ago... except I forgot the title.

Just now I came across it in my library, and remembered the thread. But of course now I can't find it.

Anyway, if you were in that thread, or you're interested in this kind of thing anyway, you should read Adventures in the Anthropocene. It's neat.

Tova

• Friendshipper
« Reply #2764 on: 26 Jul 2017, 20:35 »

Why are people so obsessed with asking the question, "Am I the only one who ... ," whenever they want to express an idea with the slightest chance of not being in lockstep with popular opinion (and sometimes when it is completely obvious that it is)? Do we all just need validation, or is it just something everyone says, just like so many other internet memes?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #2765 on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:38 »

I think people are genuinely oblivious to their thought not being original and/or trolling.

Akima

• comeback tour!
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2766 on: 08 Aug 2017, 23:04 »

So, I was doing some shopping, and while passing the local toy-shop (which also sells kids' books), I noticed a book in a rack titled "Jedi Academy: The Force Oversleeps." The jacket announced that it was part of "the New York Times Best-selling 'Jedi Academy' series.

Now a totally get that Harry Potter with lightsabers would make a publisher's heart go ka-ching!, but isn't this a bit dark? I think "Jedi Academy: The Silence of the Younglings" might raise eyebrows as a stocking-filler, or is Revenge of the Sith not canon anymore?
"I am a font of merriment and good cheer."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2767 on: 09 Aug 2017, 07:47 »

Idea for Macbeth in the twenty-first century. Macduff was born to a trans man. Makes more sense than c-section means never born.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2768 on: 13 Sep 2017, 09:43 »

I wonder if there's any interest in a browser extension that periodically opens a tab and navigates to an arbitrary online shopping page, news website, facebook page, common google search, WebMD search, etcetera, making it impossible for online activity trackers to accurately profile you.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2769 on: 13 Sep 2017, 17:00 »

Is early voting premature electioneering?      :-D   :claireface:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

sitnspin

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2770 on: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41 »

Idea for Macbeth in the twenty-first century. Macduff was born to a trans man. Makes more sense than c-section means never born.
Problematic in that implies that transmen are not men, or at the very least that they are not born men.  Seems the better solution would be to simply have Macduff be a woman since the prophecy specifically says "no man".
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2771 on: 13 Sep 2017, 20:46 »

If I remember correctly, the wording was "no man born of a woman." Clearly he's a clone.

The nerdy comic I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]   Go Up