THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532520 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #2800 on: 14 Apr 2018, 17:36 »

Looking back at the conversation here about looking back, perhaps future generations will say what https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment said about the massive changes in her life. Loosely translated, it was "Meh. People are the same."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #2801 on: 04 Jun 2018, 14:51 »

I'm about to ride a bike race down the west coast of Ireland. If any Irish forumites are able to advise on the current midge status, that would be greatly appreciated.

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2802 on: 07 Jun 2018, 05:10 »

Given what little I know of Irish weather patterns, assume apocalyptic bug swarms just to be safe.  Any landmass as green and rainy as the British isles is probably about 20% bugs by mass.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2803 on: 08 Jun 2018, 07:44 »

I'm not in that area but yeah, it's generally pretty bad once it starts getting warm.

Ignominious

« Reply #2804 on: 09 Jun 2018, 05:34 »

Yep. Most of the way down the coast of Donegal now and its bad.
Got myself a nice breezy bivi spot last night but woke up to calm air and had to pack and ride off as quick as possible.

Also I can see now first hand how essential a seamless border is here. I hope that doesn't change.

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2805 on: 11 Jun 2018, 23:19 »

So, there's this youtuber I watch who made a video in which he was wrong about falchions and messers.  Upon learning he was wrong, he then made a five-part series in which he explained that he was wrong, why he was wrong, credited the person who informed him that he was wrong, corrected all the things he was wrong about, and then exuberantly shared all the cool stuff he learned from the guy who told him he was wrong. 

This is how you do life, kids.  There's nothing wrong with being wrong, as long as you make it right. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2806 on: 13 Jun 2018, 10:47 »

Who's that?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2807 on: 13 Jun 2018, 16:09 »

The channel is Shadiversity.  Here's to part one of the "I was wrong about everything about falchions" series. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2808 on: 13 Jun 2018, 16:39 »

Nice! I've seen a few of his videos and he's very humble.  I liked the recent one where he talks about Kratos' new axe in God of War and how drawing from the back with it is weird, but through the video he slowly changes his mind on it as he find a good way to holster it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2809 on: 15 Jun 2018, 21:14 »

I've got two, maybe three short stories bouncing  around in my skull....
and no time to transcribe it all.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2810 on: 16 Jun 2018, 04:03 »

Maybe turn on a voice recording app on your phone and dump your thoughts?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2811 on: 30 Jul 2018, 19:46 »

I have this tendency to want to start editing myself before I've completed my dictation and thought.

And the Army is at it again. 2200 hours and NOW they start mortar practice.
"sound of freedom" is great, but not when it rattles the windows when I'm trying to get to sleep.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Ignominious

« Reply #2812 on: 11 Aug 2018, 13:43 »

Reports on Twitter are saying that during much of tonight's match between Rotherham and Ipswich fans on both sides spent a lot of time chanting "to me, to you" and that's a very heart warming image.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2813 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:39 »

What is it called when you take a song and change the lyrics? I know "parody" is the common allusion to it but there is a different word for doing it.  A good example is taking a Gilbert and Sullivan song, like "I have a little list" and changing things on the songs's list depending on the times.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2814 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:43 »

A... reimagining?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2815 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:52 »

AH ha! I found it. Its called a "Contrafactum" and can be used to change lyrics when adapting a poem to music, translating lyrics of a song from one language to another, or as a satirical parody.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2816 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:16 »

Also = Filk
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2817 on: 17 Sep 2018, 11:08 »

I have a favorite color since childhood, but there have been times where I find myself attracted to other colors for awhile.  Like in recent years I find the color orange especially attractive. There was a time where it was green or red; orange is just so nice to look at recently. 

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2818 on: 17 Sep 2018, 18:11 »

When it absolutely, positively has to be done right the first time....

Don't subcontract the job to the Kerbals.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2819 on: 19 Sep 2018, 14:22 »

What is the point of a character limit on a platform that allows threads to work around it?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2820 on: 19 Sep 2018, 15:28 »

Consider, when choosing a password so long you can't remember it and then storing it on your phone, the battery life of your phone.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2821 on: 19 Sep 2018, 16:13 »

Consider using a password-safe program and syncing the database between your devices using dropbox/owncloud or whatever.

(I use Enpass)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2822 on: 19 Sep 2018, 16:27 »

I already do use a password database. The problem is the password I failed to remember is for logging into the computer at work, and without access to my phone, the work computer is what I would need to look up the password database.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2823 on: 20 Sep 2018, 00:58 »

Chargers and powerbanks are your friend.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2824 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:00 »

Heh!  gotcha...

I remember around 1990 visiting the UK factory of a pharmaceutical company whose IT department had decided that the way to be secure was to automatically change everyone's 8-random-character password every seven days.  Every single terminal in the building had a yellow sticky on the corner of the screen...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2825 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:58 »

You'd think they've caught on to that, but that's exactly the policy our IT department implemented not six months ago. In the mean time, they've received so many requests for password resets, that they've reversed it.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2826 on: 20 Sep 2018, 05:30 »

Chargers and powerbanks are your friend.
Yeah, the problem was ultimately solved by running out to my car and grabbing a charger.

Edit -- I've also noticed that since I spent the time yesterday trying to remember that password, I'm now able to remember it without consulting my phone.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018, 09:42 by cesium133 »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2827 on: 22 Sep 2018, 03:13 »

I remember around 1990 visiting the UK factory of a pharmaceutical company whose IT department had decided that the way to be secure was to automatically change everyone's 8-random-character password every seven days.
I worked at a shop where "sysadmin" passwords were twelve character, random letters and numbers, and automatically changed monthly. Worse though, I think, was a place where they enforced password changing with a rule that the new password could not have any letter in the same position as in any of the last five you'd used, for ordinary user accounts. Typically, a user would have to try several words before they found one that worked. Then the next day they had to remember which was the right one. Oh, and if they got it wrong three times, the system locked them out.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2018, 03:19 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2828 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:02 »

I remember around 1990 visiting the UK factory of a pharmaceutical company whose IT department had decided that the way to be secure was to automatically change everyone's 8-random-character password every seven days.
Worse though, I think, was a place where they enforced password changing with a rule that the new password could not have any letter in the same position as in any of the last five you'd used, for ordinary user accounts.
If they know what characters are in what positions, it means they're storing the passwords in plaintext instead of as a hash, which is even worse...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2829 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:59 »

Perhaps they used some sort of fixed-key encryption? Rot13, perhaps...  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2830 on: 22 Sep 2018, 06:19 »

And they probably did it twice so that it'd be doubly secure.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2831 on: 22 Sep 2018, 11:02 »

I worked at a shop where "sysadmin" passwords were twelve character, random letters and numbers, and automatically changed monthly. Worse though, I think, was a place where they enforced password changing with a rule that the new password could not have any letter in the same position as in any of the last five you'd used, for ordinary user accounts. Typically, a user would have to try several words before they found one that worked. Then the next day they had to remember which was the right one. Oh, and if they got it wrong three times, the system locked them out.

Which means, in order to know that the same letter was in the same position, they were storing plaintext passwords instead of just hashes.

I get really angry at stupid people when they do damage.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2832 on: 22 Sep 2018, 11:03 »

And they probably did it twice so that it'd be doubly secure.

I recommend a full 16 rounds, as is common with crypto algorithms :-)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ignominious

« Reply #2833 on: 24 Sep 2018, 02:59 »

Since I bailed on office work, two of the things I genuinely don't miss in any way are emails and password systems designed by sociopaths. My security now just consists of trying a different key until I find the one that opens the lock on the gate or cabinet I need to access. I had to call someone for some information on a bit of work that needed doing the other day. They asked if they could email it to me and it was such a joy to just say "Nope".

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2834 on: 26 Sep 2018, 09:18 »

Why do I get the hiccups if I eat so much as one carrot, and they vanish the minute I stop eating them?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Ignominious

« Reply #2835 on: 26 Sep 2018, 12:23 »

You're going to need to go into more detail.

Cooked, raw or both?

Do you just hiccup while they're in your mouth, after swallowing, both or some other part of the eating process?

When exactly does it stop?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2836 on: 26 Sep 2018, 13:45 »

This had better not be the build-up to a pun.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2837 on: 26 Sep 2018, 17:35 »

I wouldn't do that to you. The latest series of Wondermark strips has got me fuming.

Anyway, it's raw carrots, I hiccup like crazy after swallowing just one, then it's gone a few minutes after. Unless I keep eating them in which case it keeps going until I stop. Must be something with their texture because it doesn't happen when I cut up carrots and cook them in soup.

Ignominious

« Reply #2838 on: 27 Sep 2018, 00:55 »

That sounds like an esophageal texture reflex which doesn't end until peristalsis has moved all of the carrot to the stomach. It's possible that your esophagus is misreading chewed carrot (presuming you aren't eating them whole) as something else or recognises that it's struggling to move it along and this triggers an expulsive reflex until its gone.

Persistently eating raw carrots might train you away from this problem but I would imagine that there is a high risk of no cure.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2839 on: 27 Sep 2018, 01:29 »

I wouldn't do that to you. The latest series of Wondermark strips has got me fuming.

Anyway, it's raw carrots, I hiccup like crazy after swallowing just one, then it's gone a few minutes after. Unless I keep eating them in which case it keeps going until I stop. Must be something with their texture because it doesn't happen when I cut up carrots and cook them in soup.

Don't worry...
It's a THING!
https://www.eatthis.com/why-some-people-hiccup-when-they-eat-carrots/
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2840 on: 02 Oct 2018, 17:07 »

I hope that the inventor of autocorrect burns in hello!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2841 on: 02 Oct 2018, 19:41 »

Autocorrect tucking ducks.  :psyduck:

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2842 on: 03 Oct 2018, 09:58 »

These days I blame autoconnect for all hippos.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2843 on: 03 Oct 2018, 16:12 »

I'm reading comments on the film Mid90s and it's weird. The way people are talking about it. You'd think the mid-90s were decades ago.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2844 on: 05 Oct 2018, 15:39 »

I'm reading comments on the film Mid90s and it's weird. The way people are talking about it. You'd think the mid-90s were decades ago.

That ... that wasn't nice, Tova  :x
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2845 on: 05 Oct 2018, 16:07 »

You'd think the mid-90s were decades ago.

Well, they were - but not many!

Blink of an eyelid for some of us...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2846 on: 05 Oct 2018, 21:25 »

So sorry.  I was reading the comments and experienced the jolt I guess you've just experienced... and had to share.  :mrgreen:

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2847 on: 06 Oct 2018, 05:43 »

So sorry.  I was reading the comments and experienced the jolt I guess you've just experienced... and had to share.  :mrgreen:

The "if the 90s were decades ago, then I my 20s would be, too?" - jolt?  :oops:

... and had to share.  :mrgreen:

Of course you did ...  :-P
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2848 on: 06 Oct 2018, 06:13 »

Hands up, everyone who still thinks of the 19th century when they hear "last century"?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2849 on: 06 Oct 2018, 06:38 »

Relevant:

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65   Go Up