THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 527598 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #2850 on: 06 Oct 2018, 06:51 »

I'm reading comments on the film Mid90s and it's weird. The way people are talking about it. You'd think the mid-90s were decades ago.

That ... that wasn't nice, Tova  :x

So sorry.  I was reading the comments and experienced the jolt I guess you've just experienced... and had to share.  :mrgreen:

Misery is best when shared with friends than dealt with alone.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2851 on: 06 Oct 2018, 09:50 »

Sometimes it's a good jolt though.  Sometimes the jolt is about how much better the future can be than the past.

A few days ago my neighbor and his child were in their yard, and he was explaining to his incredulous fifth-grader that, yes, once long ago, people had WORLD wars.  And they numbered them.  They didn't have to number them, because there were only two; but they started numbering them because the first one was bad, the second one was worse, and thinking of them as a series made it easier to think how important it was to stop a third one from happening.  And so far that seems to be working because we've held off having a third one for a long long time now.

Yup.  The kid got to her eleventh year before she had to hear that story, and I like the spin her dad put on it.  She hasn't been interested in history before, but she's a bright kid -- and I mean BRIGHT, in that rage-to-learn style that devours whole libraries, demands everything her teachers can give, and looks around for more.  Her father's maybe a bit more optimistic than I am about why the numbering thing got started, but he's allowed to be.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2852 on: 12 Oct 2018, 16:05 »

A dogsitter's job consists mainly of being a dog's emotional support animal.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2853 on: 12 Oct 2018, 17:08 »

I use LastPass.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2854 on: 13 Oct 2018, 00:39 »

I use EnPass.  That way my data stays on my own computers, which is where I like it to be.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2855 on: 13 Oct 2018, 06:28 »

I really like the functionality for syncing across devices without having access to the contents of the blob they sync. I have it installed in several desktop browsers on several computers, on my phone(s), and tablet(s). It's generally the first app I install after a factory reset or the purchase of a new device.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2856 on: 13 Oct 2018, 07:45 »

The same; I share mine through my own cloud server running NextCloud.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2857 on: 19 Oct 2018, 13:38 »

So "Dracula" was written in 1897 and the first movie was made in 1931 with the famous "Bela Lugosi" making "Dracula" a household name. Thats only a 34 year difference from when it was published to when it was adapted to film! I always felt like it was some old book that was legendary and was made into a movie 80 or 100 years after it was penned. Nope only 30 year difference. Bram's son got to see the movie!
 :-o

It just blew my mind I suppose.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2858 on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:24 »

Less than 34 years if you count the 1922 film Nosferatu - a Dracula film in all but name (although not 100% faithful). That's a 25-year difference.

Bram's son wasn't so enthusiastic about that one, though. They didn't have permission.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

« Reply #2859 on: 22 Oct 2018, 07:56 »

I have a general question:  What characteristics distinguish Bogans and Chavs?

'Cos a few days ago a couple friends of mine were debating whether Donald Trump is more like a Bogan or more like a Chav, and I couldn't follow the arguments at all. 

FWIW, the verdict was 'Chav.'  I have no idea why.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2860 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:16 »

I have a general question:  What characteristics distinguish Bogans and Chavs?

'Cos a few days ago a couple friends of mine were debating whether Donald Trump is more like a Bogan or more like a Chav, and I couldn't follow the arguments at all. 

FWIW, the verdict was 'Chav.'  I have no idea why.

What's a 'Bogan'...?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

« Reply #2861 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:26 »

From context, I'm pretty sure it's an anti-civilized negative stereotype.  A few google hits agree with that. 

But that's also true of Chav.  I can't really distinguish them from this distance.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2862 on: 22 Oct 2018, 12:56 »

Each of them would be that country's own equivalent of rednecks, I think it's fair to say.

'Chav' is a term I stopped using because I realised it was basically racism without the race involved. It's snobbery, it's classist, it's victimising. It targets the working class, primarily white citizenry of Great Britain. The poorest. Often the kinds of people that the newspapers, and sadly much of Britain's population, would refer to as dolescum.

It's nowhere near as common in the vernacular now as it was ten years ago. Ten years ago it had a surge of popularity and you could only distinguish a 'chav' from a trendy person from whether their tracksuit was expensive or not. Tracksuit was part of the uniform by the way. Burberry stuff, or stuff that looked like Burberry, especially the hats; tracksuit, often tucked into one or both socks; hats had to be a baseball cap. On the female side, big, gold jewellery. Doesn't matter how tasteful it is. Taste is optional, if not frowned upon. Leopard-print shit, everywhere, the louder the pattern the better. Lots of pink. And once Primark caught on, lots and lots of pink leopard-print. If a night out was in order, then Americans would find a chav virtually indistinguishable from a Jersey Shore resident; orange tans, big hair regardless of gender. Lots of popped collars on the male side.

Of course, the 'chav' look, like so many things, was a bastardisation of Afro-Caribbean culture, appropriated by white people. Flatten out the peak of the standard chav baseball cap and you could be an extra in a rap a video instead of someone a Daily Mail reader would be surprised to find somewhere other than the queue at the job centre. It's urban culture, taken on by white people, and in a darkly comic fashion, even the 'racism except not about race' prejudice manages to ignore the complete destruction of people of colour in the history of it. And once you put together how much of 'chav' culture is actually urban culture, you realise that what makes chavs so objectionable sounds a whole shitload like what the EDL would say they didn't like about black people - laziness, claiming benefits, the way they dress, the way they speak, the lack of education, the regularly 'unorthodox' family units that are so often much larger than the Queen's mandated 2.4 kids.

Unlike in the redneck end of things, 'chav' culture never really had a pride movement and still doesn't to my knowledge. I never heard it spoken about in those terms. However I will say that on the female side, I think chav culture created a whole shitload of jobs and business owners that never would have happened before. I worked in 16-18 education for six years and I met so many motivated young people who would never have thought of starting their own business if everyone didn't want a manicure these days. Wanting to do nails forever and not have to be told what to do by a manager both sound like very attractive things that override the stiff-borough-ism of 'starting your own business.'

edit: To be clear here; when I am referencing 'the uniform' and shit like this, I am absolutely talking in broad-strokes terms about how the word itself and the trends surrounding it could be defined. I'm not trying to cast any aspersions on the above. My time in education was spent mostly working with young people from this kind of background and I actually actively detested working with more privileged ones on occasion. The characteristics I refer to, also, are perceived ones that 'all' chavs would be seen as having.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 13:10 by Thrillho »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2863 on: 22 Oct 2018, 13:03 »

Less than 34 years if you count the 1922 film Nosferatu - a Dracula film in all but name (although not 100% faithful). That's a 25-year difference.

Bram's son wasn't so enthusiastic about that one, though. They didn't have permission.

I didn't count Nosferatu because of the legal claims, but Bram died 8 years prior to it being released so as far as vampires go its still just so close.

What's a 'Bogan'...?
Australian for white trash. Typically meant as uncultured people from rural or poor areas. The US equivalent to a "redneck" or so thats my understanding.

From context, I'm pretty sure it's an anti-civilized negative stereotype.  A few google hits agree with that. 

But that's also true of Chav.  I can't really distinguish them from this distance.

My wife is Macedonian and has taught me their word for the "anti-civilized negative stereotype": siromash, or siromashni (plural). Roughly translated it means "the poor." I think any culture or people that had an established hierarchy in the past (or present) has their own word for people who act backwards or uncouth. Its a way to make people feel superior even if they are in a bad spot in their own life.  "We may be scraping by, but at least we're classy/cultured unlike those spinnakers up the street."
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 13:16 by LeeC »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2864 on: 22 Oct 2018, 13:52 »

'Chav' is a term I stopped using because I realised it was basically racism without the race involved. It's snobbery, it's classist, it's victimising.

I first heard the terms "chav" and "ned" from UK goths, for many of whom, they *are* about as predictably dangerous as the reavers in the Firefly 'verse. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Morituri

« Reply #2865 on: 22 Oct 2018, 14:00 »

The debate then seems to be a misapplication: 

The problem with Donald Trump is that he does have a job.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2866 on: 22 Oct 2018, 15:24 »

'Chav' is a term I stopped using because I realised it was basically racism without the race involved. It's snobbery, it's classist, it's victimising.

I first heard the terms "chav" and "ned" from UK goths, for many of whom, they *are* about as predictably dangerous as the reavers in the Firefly 'verse.

There is a great deal of confirmation bias there. I am also a lapsed goth, or at least a metalhead.

I came from the other end of things. We were the 'moshers.' Baggy jeans, black hoodies, hats, piercings, tats, etc. And yes, I found 'chavs' to be supremely dangerous to me also. Almost everyone who ever bullied me was a 'chav.' I am still, at nearly age 30, STILL surprised if I go out in public, walk from point A to point B, and do not get accosted. People have grabbed my hair on the bus when it was long, assaulted me, shouted obscenities at me, belittled everything I love.

And I'm sure that to a member of the KKK, everyone that every bullied them wasn't white, either. It's all just prejudice with different faces.

'Chav' could be justified as the word you only apply to the criminal element within that culture rather than anyone that's a part of it. But you know, there's an old Chris Rock routine about something like that, and even he has disowned that one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2867 on: 01 Nov 2018, 07:55 »

Is there a term or phrase for when an artist looks upon their own art and then instantly hates it and rips it to shreds?

I am writing an overview for my novel for nation novel writing month and I feel that way right now.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2868 on: 01 Nov 2018, 08:21 »

Don't know about a term but it's definitely a common feeling.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2869 on: 01 Nov 2018, 08:52 »

Is there a term or phrase for when an artist looks upon their own art and then instantly hates it and rips it to shreds?

I am writing an overview for my novel for nation novel writing month and I feel that way right now.
Familiarity breeds contempt?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2870 on: 01 Nov 2018, 14:28 »

One of my favorite frozen dishes, bacon wrapped scallops, is a seasonal item at the grocery. I asked when it will re-appear this year, and they said November 5. Now I have to make sure I don't forget to buy them.

How am I supposed to remember? Remember the 5th of November? Bacon wrapped scallops or not?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2871 on: 01 Nov 2018, 18:11 »

Plan to ask them every day. Then, every day, just before you ask them, you'll remember it's not November 5 yet, and you'll refrain. Until the day it is.

In the meantime, buy a chest freezer that you can fill with your favourite seasonal item.  :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2872 on: 01 Nov 2018, 18:24 »

One of my favorite frozen dishes, bacon wrapped scallops, is a seasonal item at the grocery. I asked when it will re-appear this year, and they said November 5. Now I have to make sure I don't forget to buy them.

How am I supposed to remember? Remember the 5th of November? Bacon wrapped scallops or not?
Remember, remember the fifth of November. But not because of some kook trying to blow up Parliament, but because of the bacon-wrapped scallops.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Morituri

« Reply #2873 on: 01 Nov 2018, 23:32 »

I have always been somewhat amused at how the relatively tiny minorities in the US who observe Guy Fawkes' day differ in their approach.  Some burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes.  Some blow up an effigy of parliament. 

I used to think it depended on what circumstances led the different families to immigrate.  But then I realized, the gunpowder plot happened over four hundred years ago.  Europe at that time was only just barely been even aware of the American continent, hardly sending immigrants (or escaping criminals) to the US.

So now I strongly suspect the differences are more about how they feel on the topic of the American Government of today than about the British Government of 1607. 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2874 on: 02 Nov 2018, 18:18 »

It's kind of funny how the definition of "spooky" has morphed from "strange and frightening" to "fun and halloweeny."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2875 on: 03 Nov 2018, 04:55 »

It's also funny that Dutch has always had a word for "fun and halloweeny", griezelig, and English is only now catching up.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2876 on: 04 Nov 2018, 01:36 »

You know you're a geek when you chance upon a webpage titled "What to buy an architect this Christmas," and most of the stuff listed appeals to you.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2877 on: 04 Nov 2018, 08:37 »

Remember, remember the fifth of November. But not because of some kook trying to blow up Parliament, but because of the bacon-wrapped scallops.

Say "Hey, Google," to your phone (or Siri, etc.). When it acknowledges, say, "Remind me about the scallops on November 5th."

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2878 on: 04 Nov 2018, 08:47 »

It's kind of funny how the definition of "spooky" has morphed from "strange and frightening" to "fun and halloweeny."

It's also funny that Dutch has always had a word for "fun and halloweeny", griezelig, and English is only now catching up.

The Story of Human Language, John McWhorter on Audible. It has lots of discussion on this kind of shift in meaning and understanding1 over time. It's terrific.2

---

1 How does "to stand under" mean "comprehend" because why, exactly?
2 Not in the older sense of causing terror, of course.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2879 on: 05 Nov 2018, 00:45 »

IT'S THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!
Covenant

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2880 on: 05 Nov 2018, 04:00 »

Remember, remember, the fifth of November...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2881 on: 05 Nov 2018, 10:41 »

Gunpowder, treason and plot...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Morituri

« Reply #2882 on: 05 Nov 2018, 11:23 »

Whatever else you may think about Donald, you can always count on him in the middle of a crazy situation, to be the voice of treason. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2883 on: 05 Nov 2018, 17:33 »

I watched a video where someone bit into a candle, and they put an apple crunch noise over it. For some reason this is really fucking with me. It wouldn't make a crunch noise. Wax is pretty soft. Although I don't quite know what noise it would make and my brain won't let this go till I know. Except I don't want to know, no one should ever bite into a goddamn candle!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2884 on: 06 Nov 2018, 00:21 »

For what it's worth, it depends on the kind of candle. Softer candles won't make much noise at all - like biting in butter. Regular tapers will break when you bite them, producing something close to breaking a carrot, only more silent. Other hard candles, not much sound, really. Comparable to biting into cold chocolate.

Actually, chocolate is pretty close to the same structure, come to think of it.

And no, I don't go around biting candles. I've made a fair few, though.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2885 on: 06 Nov 2018, 00:41 »

I watched a video where someone bit into a candle, and they put an apple crunch noise over it. For some reason this is really fucking with me. It wouldn't make a crunch noise. Wax is pretty soft. Although I don't quite know what noise it would make and my brain won't let this go till I know. Except I don't want to know, no one should ever bite into a goddamn candle!

Is it possible, that it actually WAS an apple which had been peeled and sliced into a candle shape?
I only ask as (something dredged up in my memory) I remember a *trick your friends* thing which was basically that. Shape the apple - use a very thin slice of an almond as a wick.

Light *candle*, blow out flame, eat it.
Invite friend to do the same with a *real* candle!
Hilarity ensues!

Covenant

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2886 on: 06 Nov 2018, 03:36 »

I remember that one as well.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2887 on: 06 Nov 2018, 04:26 »

Joe, that's interesting and I hadn't heard of that but I'm pretty sure this instance was legit.

(click to show/hide)

Cornelius, thanks for the info. It's genuinely calmed my brain down a bit, because I was still background processing this.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2888 on: 06 Nov 2018, 07:24 »

Joe, that's interesting and I hadn't heard of that but I'm pretty sure this instance was legit.

(click to show/hide)

Cornelius, thanks for the info. It's genuinely calmed my brain down a bit, because I was still background processing this.

Yeah... same sound effect each time!
Lazy FX ! :)
Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2889 on: 19 Dec 2018, 14:28 »

Plane is about to take off. I hear a grinding noise below the cabin floor. My brain:

Air Crash Investigation narrator voice: "At approximately 15:40 PM, a grinding noise could be heard below the cabin floor. Less than five minutes later, the plane would crash, leaving no survivors."

(click to show/hide)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2890 on: 20 Dec 2018, 01:11 »

Plane is about to take off. I hear a grinding noise below the cabin floor. My brain:

Air Crash Investigation narrator voice: "At approximately 15:40 PM, a grinding noise could be heard below the cabin floor. Less than five minutes later, the plane would crash, leaving no survivors."

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Covenant

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2891 on: 20 Jan 2019, 16:29 »

After checking my bank account, it appears that having a good beer bar and a bookstore next to each other one block from my apartment is a dangerous combination.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2892 on: 21 Jan 2019, 07:58 »

Belated:

Poetry!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2893 on: 21 Jan 2019, 13:47 »

We've all heard of doublethink, but I believe that half-think is far more common. Seen at my local shopping centre; spot the mistake:

(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2894 on: 21 Jan 2019, 14:20 »

I wouldn’t give them even that much credit. It’s zero-think instruction following.

“‘All signage must include Braille.’ Okay.”

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2895 on: 21 Jan 2019, 15:36 »

To be fair, quite a lot of blind people have a fuzzy sense of brightness and colour, and might be able to make out a red or green light.  But not all, of course.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2896 on: 23 Jan 2019, 17:07 »

Yes, though there's the question of why the lights are so small, and not that bright, especially when viewed from an angle (LEDs being quite directional). Nowadays LEDs are available in sizes up to at least 10mm in diameter. I'm not sure what the best tactile (haptic?) indicator would be. Some sort of piston that protrudes from the faceplate? That would require moving parts.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2897 on: 23 Jan 2019, 17:46 »

One way would be to have Braille only next to the button explaining that the button can be pressed to open the door and will depress only if the toilet is unoccupied. Ideally, there would also be a sound or voice when the status changes, but that doesn't help if you're deaf, obviously.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2898 on: 23 Jan 2019, 20:22 »

Seeing as dysmorphia is on topic right now.

Faking it: how selfie dysmorphia is driving people to seek surgery

Does anyone else here find the portrait on the right in the article above, and indeed all snapchat filters in general, to be uncomfortably uncanny valley awful? Or is it just me?

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2899 on: 24 Jan 2019, 00:11 »

Eeeeeeeeep!

No, iz not just you ...

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65   Go Up