THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532257 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #3000 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:11 »

Hmm… new computer, or a life in a sane country?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3001 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:12 »

It would buy me a new computer.

And who said we were sane? :-D :-P

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3002 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:37 »

I spent years drinking with the Irish in SF.  It's more the sort of madness I can handle.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3003 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:49 »

You'd be more than welcome here, at least by me anyway.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3004 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:36 »

Just throwing it our there that Scotland is similarly welcoming.
And will be even MORESO (when!) we become Independent.

:)

Is it bad that I really dig the new Pokemon Scottish Girl avatar for the upcoming Pokemon Shield and Sword games? The memes of her are making her sound like Merida from Wreck it Ralph 2, with the attitude of Samurai Jack's Scottsman and the stories and quips from Scottish Twitter.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3005 on: 25 Jun 2019, 18:40 »

Jwhouk, you can claim an Irish passport if at least one of your grandparents were Irish.

And to everyone else, you'd be more than welcome to come here, you'd have a friend to welcome you at the gates.

Sad thing is, my grandmother probably wouldn't have been able to claim Irish ancestry.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3006 on: 09 Jul 2019, 09:31 »

Just thinking of Norse Mythology lately. Do you suppose there is an ambassador to each realm for Asgard?  Like Thor is usually seen as the one that goes to Midgard all the time, Freyr was always associated with the Elves of Alfheim, Freya with Vanaheim, and Loki/Odin usually go to Jotunheim. Do you suppose there were Asgardians that are ambassadors to the other realms? Niflheim (realm of mist and shadow, sometimes inhabited by Dark Elves), Muspelheim (Realm of Fire Giants), Svartalfheim (Home to dwarves and sometimes dark elves), Helheim (Hel is Loki's daughter, but I am not sure she counts since she lives there and isn't part of Odin's court).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3007 on: 18 Jul 2019, 09:18 »

I wonder if anyone has ever explored a superhero setting where there's an avengers/justice league but the protagonist superhero doesn't want to be part of such an organization. Not because its necessarily corrupt or anything (though that may be fun to explore too) but they are just not interested, only to be bullied by the heroes of the organization (and potentially the government) to join.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2019, 09:28 by LeeC »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3008 on: 18 Jul 2019, 16:41 »

I don't know whether it fits because I haven't watched it, but Jessica Jones springs to mind.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3009 on: 18 Jul 2019, 23:17 »

Okay, I have a question.

I watched the trailer for this new Cats film and also read a bunch of reactions.

Now, I will admit that I am definitely not a part of the target market for this film. I've never been interested in seeing the musical Cats. It is not the kind of musical I'm really interested in*, and on top of that, I just find the premise of the thing to be weird. And so, I'm not really interested in seeing this new film either.

But now that the trailer for the film version is out, everyone is carrying on about how weird it is.

I mean, I imagine at least a part of the backlash is just that there is a backlash against the large number of reboots/remakes happening right now, which is perfectly understandable.

But beyond that... how is it any weirder than the original musical already was? What am I missing?

* And by that, I mean musicals by Andrew Lloyd Webber in general.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #3010 on: 18 Jul 2019, 23:32 »

It isn't any stranger than the original. I've seen it on stage. It was strange then. It is exactly as strange now.

I suspect, but cannot confirm, that it is more to do with the backlash against the Sonic movie and The Lion King using "realistic" animals and looking really weird. The Sonic character design was just terrible and I think the denizens of the internet saw Cats! and just went, "Oh look! More weird animal people! Lets whinge about it!"

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3011 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:14 »

I think the backlash is more:

Stageshow - Lithe and supple dancers, with cute cat facepaint, in clingy leotards, dancing around in perfect step.

The 'movie' looks like a weird Island of Doctor Moreau mash-up!  :)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3012 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:16 »

Interesting, but as I'm completely unfamiliar with Island of Doctor Moreau, I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3013 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:29 »

Interesting, but as I'm completely unfamiliar with Island of Doctor Moreau, I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid!

Basically, Humans SPLICED with animals, to create horrific Hybrids.

So, I guess, "Real life portrayal of how cats would look as 'people'..."
As opposed to lithe, supple, cute facepaint, clingy leotards... etc ...

Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3014 on: 19 Jul 2019, 04:08 »

I mean, the cute facepaint and clingy leotards is just a low-res portrayal of the same thing, no?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3015 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:02 »

I mean, the cute facepaint and clingy leotards is just a low-res portrayal of the same thing, no?
Not really, but YMMV. Its suppose to look like cute facepaint and leotards rather than trying to be realistic which then cascades into the uncanny valley. The stage play you can tell its just people in cat costume so you mind recognizes it that way. But the film looks like the person is not quite cat and not quite human and so the mind just cannot shake how eerie that it is neither while trying to be both.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3016 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:47 »

I don't find it creepy. Or not creepier than the pics from the musical I've seen. Maybe the Internet is trying to find something to get animated about? (When does that ever happen ...?)

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2019, 07:53 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3017 on: 19 Jul 2019, 08:31 »

What Lee C said!  :)

(Don't get me wrong... from what I've seen a lot of the cast are in spandex anyway, ;) but the faces are a bit.... yeah.... weird... Kajit's from Skyrim would have been a better idea.)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3018 on: 20 Jul 2019, 00:08 »

It’s not uncanny valley for me. Maybe if I didn’t already think Cats was weird I’d feel differently, I don’t know.

I guess that answers my question anyway.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #3019 on: 26 Jul 2019, 23:54 »

It bears pointing out that part of the Cats "backlash" is the fact that it's fuckin' Cats being put in front of the mass consciousness again, only this time the internet and social media specifically is waaaay more a thing than it was in 19-fuckin-80.

and while all the other stuff in the discussion feeds into it too... just imagine if this was the first time. And besides, it's fun to joke and clown about something harmless, together. We aren't all watching Johnny Carson together, most of us aren't chatting around watercoolers, since when the fuck do we even have watercoolers or breaks at the same time any more? Social media chatter, dunking, etc., for better and worse is how that works now.

Edit: and at least in the corners of the Internet i have, it was fun and nice to gasp and make fun and proclaim love for this nonsense. A distraction from all the deadly serious shit, a ceasefire for some folks even. Making fun of Cats at least unites my country more than anything else, these days.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3020 on: 26 Jul 2019, 23:59 »

now i actually came to the thread to comment on the awful and evil Christian family show of my youth, 7th Heaven, which I was reminded tonight had a 12 Angry Men episode. One where the father of the family, a reverend, convinces the rest of the jury to switch their votes from Not Guilty to Guilty.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #3021 on: 27 Jul 2019, 08:26 »

please don't call it Christian.
at best, it was attempting to be "wholesomely religious".

that show had that 'family' doing whatever they thought was 'Right', to the detriment of everyone else, so the end of the episode the family could feel "good" about whatever travesty they implemented on their community.

Growing up, I heard preachers dissect the series, to show where it was WRONG and being harmful.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3022 on: 27 Jul 2019, 10:24 »

I'd absolutely love to not call it Christian, and I'm really glad to hear your pastors smelled it out for what it was. Out in my neck of the sticks, though... not as much.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3023 on: 28 Jul 2019, 15:06 »

Yeah our parish weren't fans either. I remember watching a few episodes and thinking it was shite.  Then I think one of the actresses got pregnant out of wedlock and that caused some "controversy.*" On the flip side I'd rather just rewatch Good Omens.

*slow news day

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3024 on: 01 Aug 2019, 06:11 »

7th Heaven
You have seven heavens? It seems you do... I did not know that. I suppose I should have, since I'm familiar with the idiom "in seventh heaven" meaning very happy.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3025 on: 01 Aug 2019, 07:03 »

The "seven heavens" thing changed towards the latter end of AD&D 2nd ed, when they rebranded their cosmology for the Planescape setting.  But yeah, they were canon ever since ancient times, and the beginnings of the game.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3026 on: 01 Aug 2019, 16:33 »

Hee hee... If the world is a D&D campaign, I suppose I rolled up a Monk:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3027 on: 01 Aug 2019, 17:23 »

I must have rolled bard, since I feel useless most of the time.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3028 on: 01 Aug 2019, 18:35 »

I wish I had the time and a decent group to play again.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3029 on: 01 Aug 2019, 18:42 »

I'm currently making a half-arsed attempt to do some writing for the game that I'm running on Tuesday.  I should have started some time *last* week.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3030 on: 27 Aug 2019, 20:17 »

I find book cover art, but the artist obviously hasn't read the book, just fascinating.

For example, below are book cover art for Black Colossus by Robert E Howard but these scenes never happen in the book and there are no man-apes, harpies or great apes in it.

Like where did they get this stuff? *insert generic judge a book by its cover title joke*

The book is about 2 armies fighting and the bad guy is an evil sorcerer.

I am sure there are other examples, but this is just a recent one I've come across.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3031 on: 02 Sep 2019, 11:53 »

I think "Fan Art" should be referred to as farts.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3032 on: 27 Sep 2019, 10:04 »

Celibacy's okay I guess, but I think maybe some folks have been getting way too much of it, and it's not good for them.  It seems like some of the biggest jerks in the world, of all genders, are people who just plain haven't gotten laid in too long.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3033 on: 27 Sep 2019, 12:25 »

Celibacy is inhereditary
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3034 on: 09 Oct 2019, 09:32 »

Is maroon just navy red?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3035 on: 23 Oct 2019, 21:45 »

Does The Fantastic Four fall flat in places that speak UK-flavored English? Does Johnny Storm's superhero name come across as "The Human Flashlight"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3036 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:08 »

Does The Fantastic Four fall flat in places that speak UK-flavored English? Does Johnny Storm's superhero name come across as "The Human Flashlight"?

I thought flashlight was american english?
Covenant

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3037 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:10 »

I thought flashlight was american english?

I think that's the point - "when they hear 'torch', do they picture what Americans would call 'flashlight', which is less evocative and impressive and intimidating as a superhero name than imagining the burny stick?".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3038 on: 24 Oct 2019, 05:20 »

We also use the word torch with that meaning, so I guess we'd get it OK.

We might also refer to arson informally as torching a house, for instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3039 on: 24 Oct 2019, 06:11 »

Why would the English, upon hearing the title 'the human torch', think of the item that has existed only since the advent of batteries before they would think of the item that has existed since the advent of fire?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3040 on: 24 Oct 2019, 09:36 »

Because it's the one they use most often now, possibly. Possible enough to ask the question.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3041 on: 24 Oct 2019, 12:09 »

I have an adorable cat who, like most adorable cats, likes to curl up in sunbeams and high places.  If a high place also has a sunbeam, that's a double win!

I have a lovely wife who, like many women, thinks glass bud vases on the mantel over the fireplace are lovely accents for a home.  And, to be fair, she's absolutely right about that.

I have a wonderful home with a fireplace upon whose mantel sunbeams fall not long after sunrise, with a broad stone hearth beneath it to keep the sparks away from our carpets.

And Indeed, I am further blessed.  In this home I will never need an alarm clock.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3042 on: 25 Oct 2019, 09:30 »

Covenant

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3043 on: 27 Oct 2019, 01:00 »

Everyone knows the proof that the earth is round?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3044 on: 30 Oct 2019, 23:20 »

So there's an off-year election where I live.

Election Day is the first Tuesday in November. How am I supposed to remember that our chance to influence our government is on November 5?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3045 on: 31 Oct 2019, 05:41 »

"Remember, remember the 5th of November,
 And travel to your polling spot.
 I see no reason, why your voting season,
 Should ever be forgot."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3046 on: 18 Nov 2019, 11:34 »

Is there a word for the phenomenon where you develop a kind of familiarity or "friendship" with people you see every day but have not met or talked to? For example during my commute to and from work I may see a person or two that I see quite frequently but I have never talked to them but I feel familiar to them. Like an unspoken friendship but they are total strangers. Like you mentally/emotionally acknowledge their familiar existence?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3047 on: 19 Nov 2019, 03:40 »

Is there a word for the phenomenon where you develop a kind of familiarity or "friendship" with people you see every day but have not met or talked to? For example during my commute to and from work I may see a person or two that I see quite frequently but I have never talked to them but I feel familiar to them. Like an unspoken friendship but they are total strangers. Like you mentally/emotionally acknowledge their familiar existence?

I would call that a "nodding friendship".
Covenant

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #3048 on: 19 Nov 2019, 05:14 »

This is how we know the flat-earthers are totally incorrect.  Never mind that they need a different theory of planetary accretion that squares with the facts we already know... 
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3049 on: 20 Nov 2019, 15:29 »

Yes! I have one on my bus. Nice guy. Very smiley. He has a mobility scooter and I basically rate the bus drivers on how they treat him now. Pleased to say that even the worst ones score pretty highly, but someone buy a goddamn drink for the dude who got off the bus, lowered the ramp, then walked to the back of the queue where he was to escort him onto the bus first. That gave me goddamn hope for humanity.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 65   Go Up