THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532546 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #3100 on: 12 Oct 2020, 18:20 »

Those who believe in nearly unlimited "free speech" have never had to spend their entire lives harassed, threatened, broken-down, or otherwise had any chance of happiness in life destroyed by the words of others.  Every one of them should check their privilege, and shove it so far up their fundament that they feel and fear what I do every day.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3101 on: 12 Oct 2020, 18:26 »

I think many of them don't realize it protects them from government persecution, and not their fellow citizens. Thus, they think they can throw decency out the window because its "their right" and not take into account the people around them. It's my right to shit on my front lawn but I don't do it.

So, you know how succubi are usually depicted as titillating. If they're not nude they typically are wearing some sort of lingerie to be enticing or tease their prey. I wonder what the 12th or 13th century equivalent would be. Wearing a shorter dress to show off the ankles? Pants? Short pants to show off the ankles but also to wear pants? Tops that show off the shoulders?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3102 on: 12 Oct 2020, 18:52 »

IIRC, the ankles thing was mostly an American attempt to emulate the Victorians.  IIRC, in the 12th and 13th centuries, heavy cleavage, if not bare breasts were fairly common amongst the ladies.

WRT speech, I'm still bitter that apparently, according to that one pig, throwing things at a person while threatening to kill them with the means to do so is "free speech" here.  And when I was smashed over the head with a bottle of Jäger, and it was on tape, I never heard anything back from the pigs.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #3103 on: 12 Oct 2020, 20:12 »

Those who believe in nearly unlimited "free speech" have never had to spend their entire lives harassed, threatened, broken-down, or otherwise had any chance of happiness in life destroyed by the words of others.  Every one of them should check their privilege, and shove it so far up their fundament that they feel and fear what I do every day.

Speaking personally, we were tortured and terrorised in our own homes for years, though one of the things we enjoyed upon leaving was being able to think out loud, in words of our choosing, not subject to the violent and hypocritical whims of narcissists and psychopaths for thinking the wrong thing out loud.

Trigger Warning: brief, debatably non-graphic description of very unpleasant things that took place
(click to show/hide)
What I have no patience for is cures that are worse than the disease they falsely promise to cure, but simply take over (control) the treatment of, to their own (purely coincidental) gain. That sort of display of  "concern" leading to regular power grabs is just a little too close to home.

But it's extremely difficult to legislate genuine compassion. If it's genuine, making it mandatory only complicates things. I experienced plenty of concern, year after year, much of which was required by law and which changed absolutely nothing and improved absolutely nothing.

Just like quack medicine, it was costly in terms of time and money, though it let people check off list items that something had been "properly addressed" in a useless, one-size-fits-one-size way without actually accomplishing a thing, thus prolonging (for literally years) the very problem it purported to solve.

People are being sold a bill of goods, and they aren't getting any happier-- the more that changes, the more control they demand, but where is all the good this is doing? If anything, a cure or even an improvement should produce a drop in the amount of treatment people need for the effects of the things we have eradicated. I don't think it's done anything of the sort.

I'm sure we agree (to some significant extent at least) on the problem, what I don't understand is-- the more we are forced to implement a (draconian) solution, the more it should help, right? And if it doesn't, can we maybe knock it off? Especially when it violates basic human rights-- but cmon, that part can be a side point for at least a moment.
The real treat is hearing day in and day out how this person's story matters and this person's doesn't-- and how not taking one person seriously is a moral crime but actually hearing out this other person is actually wrong, when terrible things have happened to each, but only one has problems that are currently and politically in fashion. If that's all humanity has left, you can keep it-- it's not very interesting in the big scheme of what we used to think of as progress.

Real progress goes beyond fashionable pandering and requires difficult conversations, many of which are close to getting banned by "polite" societythese days. Exactly how much emotional and psychological and domestic abuse does one person have to endure before which demographic they belong to becomes less important than what Actually Happened? Nobody knows, and too few even care these days.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2020, 20:52 by flfederation »

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
Freeze Peach
« Reply #3104 on: 12 Oct 2020, 20:49 »

It's my right to shit on my front lawn but I don't do it.
Ofcourse ought not have right to let stink in other's property.
according to that one pig, throwing things at a person while threatening to kill them with the means to do so is "free speech" here.  And when I was smashed over the head with a bottle of Jäger, and it was on tape, I never heard anything back from the pigs.
Free speech, but also threat. One ought not can protect against speech, but definitely ought can protect against threat. Irregarding threat credibility. (Ought not promise what not shall be fulfilled.) And (ofcourse) ought have protection against violence.
Why ``pig?''
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
Re: Freeze Peach
« Reply #3105 on: 12 Oct 2020, 20:57 »

but definitely ought can protect against threat.

Threats are not protected speech, haven't been since Lincoln was shot. Anybody claiming they hav e a right to make threats is simply not versed in the subject they're talking about. I realise this does not contradict what you're saying (and it is not aimed at what you're saying.)

With that said, I feel it should be made acceptable to threaten in self-defence. If someone brandishes a weapon at you, and you threaten them, I don't think that should be a crime. Though that sort of thing can get very complicated if we want it to, that's how things tend to work in practice. They get more and more complicated until a voice of reason and wisdom enters the conversation. But that seems to be a rare event in the world these days.

When rules are made with substandard quality and are hastily implemented to avoid due process, those rules end up being just another weapon in the hands of an attacker. Some people know this from experience. Others demand the right to learn this the hard way, at the expense of everybody else.People are funny. They realise that all guns should have a safety on them, so that they don't go off accidentally. Then they start writing laws, and demand that the laws themselves have all safety mechanisms removed. They were right the first time, they had the right idea, but then they got going full steam and forgot what they were doing.

You can hardly maintain a just society when people are finding ways to prevent anybody from discussing which rules are stupid. Someone willing to say so has always entered the conversation, but what we do to those people is a matter of fashion.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2020, 21:21 by flfederation »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3106 on: 12 Oct 2020, 21:21 »

IIRC, the ankles thing was mostly an American attempt to emulate the Victorians.  IIRC, in the 12th and 13th centuries, heavy cleavage, if not bare breasts were fairly common amongst the ladies.

That could be. I know the shoulder thing is true though. I was surprised to find out my wife was brought up saying you should cover your shoulders when trying to be presentable and especially when going to church. It was something that stuck around in eastern europe and survived into the modern age (along with many other superstitions I was made aware of). Looking at some medieval art of women from the period seems like the ankle thing might not be too far off though (for nobles since they could afford nice clothes). And I almost say the same with men in that regard. Granted central heating wasn't a thing and keeping warm while working outside in brisk weather was probably important and common whether you were a lowly peasant or a noble. And then the inverse when it was to hot I am willing to bet the men and women had bear arms and legs to help cool off when farming.

Maybe instead of showing skin (I still maintain the shoulder idea though) but perhaps impressive hats like a wimple? Then again a commoner might have thought an impressive hat meant nobility and that was nothing to trifle with. Doing a bit more research, eye contact was a huge thing in courtship and so maybe sexy/hungry eyes would have done the trick back then. I still don;t feel like I have a firm answer though. Still something to muse about.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

N.N. Marf

« Reply #3107 on: 12 Oct 2020, 21:56 »

Headwear protect against falling pest. (Wanna revive headwear tradition with embeded panoramic cameras to fight surveillance with surveillance?)
let people check off list items that something had been "properly addressed" in a useless, one-size-fits-one-size way without actually accomplishing a thing
Depends on checklist. Bad checklist, yes. How to make good checklist?..
[bad:] not taking one person seriously is a moral crime but actually hearing out this other person is actually wrong
Especially longtime outmodes.
I feel it should be made acceptable to threaten in self-defence. If someone brandishes a weapon at you, and you threaten them, I don't think that should be a crime. Though that sort of thing can get very complicated if we want it to,
Can be simple: (practically: reasonably seemingly) minimal counterthreat threat is OK. (Likewise about counterviolence.) (Unnecessary implies null is minimal.)
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3108 on: 12 Oct 2020, 22:13 »

Headwear protect against falling pest. (Wanna revive headwear tradition with embeded panoramic cameras to fight surveillance with surveillance?)

I didn't say the peasant would be turned away from a woman in headware nor that peasant women wouldn't wear them, but elaborate headware would make the peasant man wary.  If someone was to see you talking to, let alone flirting with your better, it may not work out so well. Hypothetically anyway. I know upward movement for peasants during feudal times was very difficult. I am reminded of Hark! A Vagrant's romantic peasant strips:
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=255

flfederation

• Emoticontraindication
  • He/they/whatever
« Reply #3109 on: 12 Oct 2020, 22:17 »

Quote from: N.N. Marf link=topic=29969.msg1451821#msg1451821
How to make good checklist?..
Don't make them more superficial than the process necessitates. The problem is, checklists encourage superficiality. Like the one that says
  • I voted.
Did you ensure that the voting process isn't broken or corrupt? Did you hold the candidates to the same standards on their second term as the first? Did you have more than one real choice, (really?)

These are all potential checklist items, though really this checklist only has one question on it. X it off and you're done for years. That's what checklists do in practice.

They're fine for situations where you can really enumerate all the questions that matter. If you can't do that, the checklist is pretty much going to cost you whatever questions you can't predict the need for . But people aren't good at determining whether a checklist is sufficient for a given solution or not-- perhaps because they're using a checklist to determine the suitability.

N.N. Marf

« Reply #3110 on: 12 Oct 2020, 22:39 »

They're fine for situations where you can really enumerate all the questions that matter. If you can't do that, the checklist is pretty much going to cost you whatever questions you can't predict the need for . But people aren't good at determining whether a checklist is sufficient for a given solution or not-- perhaps because they're using a checklist to determine the suitability.
Each thing (or sufficient approximation) is enumerable. `Checklist' in me stands for explicit recordable procedure. Good checklist determining checklist goodness would be great. Until such metachecklist..

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3111 on: 12 Oct 2020, 22:39 »

Charles Manson died in prison for saying far less than many preachers in this country, and I'll leave it at that.

N.N. Marf

« Reply #3112 on: 12 Oct 2020, 23:10 »

Charles Manson died in prison for saying far less than many preachers in this country, and I'll leave it at that.
Charles Manson died 83 years old of cardiac arrest (after dubious medical treatment of serious illness) while imprisoned by conviction of (conspiracy to) murder. What his speech contributed to his death? Of that, was it the speech of it that contributed to his death, or something else? e.g. conspiracy to murder.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2020, 23:18 by N.N. Marf »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3113 on: 13 Oct 2020, 02:17 »

That could be. I know the shoulder thing is true though. I was surprised to find out my wife was brought up saying you should cover your shoulders when trying to be presentable and especially when going to church. It was something that stuck around in eastern europe and survived into the modern age (along with many other superstitions I was made aware of). Looking at some medieval art of women from the period seems like the ankle thing might not be too far off though (for nobles since they could afford nice clothes). And I almost say the same with men in that regard. Granted central heating wasn't a thing and keeping warm while working outside in brisk weather was probably important and common whether you were a lowly peasant or a noble. And then the inverse when it was to hot I am willing to bet the men and women had bear arms and legs to help cool off when farming.
(click to show/hide)

The idea of a lot of bare skin in general seems to be an instance of Hollywood interpretation, just like the drab and grey colours... Now, that being said, there is something of a class divide here, as some miniatures show the difference between the courtois lady modestly warming herself to the fire, while the vilains are standing before the fire with all the parts they want to warm directly exposed. For working in the fields, it was fairly normal - described and pictured - for the labourers to roll down their hose, and just be their in their shirt.
On the other hand, 12th and 13th centuries had not the inhibitions about bathing that later periods had.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3114 on: 16 Nov 2020, 19:37 »

Dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets are made of evolved dinosaurs, so one could say dinosaur nuggets are actually dinosaur nuggets.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3115 on: 16 Nov 2020, 21:12 »

I have sometimes wished that there were chicken-flavored peeps.

(for non-usa folk: Peeps are marshmallows covered with a thin shell of candy, unremarkable except for being manufactured chicken-shaped.)

(Clarification:  Well - not really chicken shaped.  They're shaped more like a dysmorphic illustration of a chicken, in a peaceful moment setting on a nest, drawn for a child's book by someone who has never actually seen a chicken.).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3116 on: 16 Nov 2020, 22:47 »

N.N. Marf

« Reply #3117 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:53 »

Ease of manufacture never tasted this good!*

*this message sponsored by Marf Verities

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3118 on: 01 Feb 2021, 07:00 »

If "Back To The Future" were made today, Marty would travel to 1991. We're as far away from 1991, as Marty was from the nostalgic 50's.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3119 on: 01 Feb 2021, 07:22 »

Well, the BttF Part II, the year 2015 was selected because it was as far in the future as 1955 was in the past. And that was six years ago.

I kind of prefer the idea of a 2021 Marty-meeting-past-Doc scene over one where Marty's from 2020. He'd have to explain Trump being president...

Also, in a world with a central authority that regulates time travel (which obviously doesn't apply to BttF), I'm pretty sure they would prohibit time travel to the past from 2020 or 2021...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3120 on: 07 Feb 2021, 17:44 »

I'm going to be honest: I really don't get into watching the Super Bowl like I did in years past. I'd be live tweeting the game before, but now? I'm not even planning on watching the second half.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3121 on: 07 Feb 2021, 18:03 »

I’m watching Puppy Bowl.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3122 on: 11 Feb 2021, 14:44 »

"What I find fascinating about the generational wars is how Gen X, the Switzerland of generations, has managed not to get involved in all this nastiness. While boomers, zoomers and millennials are at each other’s throats, Gen X just stands in the background, smoking cigarettes and wryly observing the strife. As a wise Gen Xer would probably tell you, what goes around comes around."

"The culture war between Gen Z and millennials is on."

Hehehehehe ... eheheheheheee!   :angel:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Morituri

« Reply #3123 on: 12 Feb 2021, 00:42 »

Today I learned that Project Orion is not quite completely dead.

In the 1960s there was an extended study of a plan for a spacecraft that propelled itself by means of ejecting small nuclear bombs and detonating them behind the ship.  They studied several designs, including one the size of an ocean liner.  According to their calculations, that sucker could achieve orbit riding on top of around eight hundred nuclear explosions.  They could have delivered a thousand people, plus equipment, to mars.  Or taken a couple hundred for a 50-year journey to Barnard's star at arount 10 percent of the speed of light, including deceleration and stopping at the far end.

The whole thing was scrapped in 1962 on account of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty - and the fact that Kennedy was made aware of it in a security briefing shortly after he became president and was absolutely horrified at the idea.

Today I learned that Project Orion is actually still on the books as a contingency plan that might under extreme conditions actually get built.  The current plan on it is that if we need it, it will be as a complete crash program to get craft out there as fast as possible, occupying a major part of the world's economic resources for ~7 to 10 years.

If the world is ever threatened by a large asteroid that we can't otherwise escape, and that's the time frame of warning we've got, then Feckin' Project Orion is still on the books, with a crash development program kept up-to-date as a contingency plan for getting to it and diverting that asteroid.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3124 on: 15 Feb 2021, 03:46 »

The science-fiction novel "Footfall" features an Orion-style battleship (named Michael after the archangel who threw down Lucifer from heaven...) launched to defeat alien invaders:

But when it comes to, "I don't want to write the environmental impact report on that", nuclear rocket ideas, I thing the hypothetical nuclear salt-water rocket makes Project Orion seem sane. Admittedly I don't think anyone is quite mad enough to propose launching from Earth's surface on a pillar of nuclear fire made up of violently radioactive, chemically toxic, and probably still-fissioning Plutonium salts...

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3125 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:34 »

There are certainly people mad enough.  Thus far, none are in a position to actually *do* it.

Morituri

« Reply #3126 on: 15 Feb 2021, 10:45 »

Yah, the idea of handling supercritical solutions of enriched uranium salts as fuel is ridiculous enough.  Putting it into a detonation chamber where it reaches critical mass and detonates - CONTINUOUSLY - is just ... A nuclear explosion isn't enough, now you have to find a way to sustain one for some duration of time up to several hours?!

As yet, I don't think we need to worry about anybody attempting to build one of those though;   Nobody's even pretending they've figured out a way to make a detonation chamber that will last as long as the explosion. 

Orion, on the other hand... we could have actually built that forty years ago.  We just didn't, because somebody sane was in the decision loop.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3127 on: 15 Feb 2021, 21:53 »

Good lord, I'd never heard about the nuclear salt water rocket. That makes Project Pluto look like a reasonable idea by comparison.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3128 on: 16 Feb 2021, 05:05 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Morituri

« Reply #3129 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:29 »

Good lord, I'd never heard about the nuclear salt water rocket. That makes Project Pluto look like a reasonable idea by comparison.

After reading up about a nuclear-powered cruise missile that can be launched from anywhere on earth to hit anywhere else on earth, launching nuclear bombs as sub-munitions along the way.... Or circle over the ocean for literally months, waiting for an order about where targets are to be found.... 

Jeesus, if that's what they call 'Project Pluto', I don't want to know what they think looks 'Goofy.'

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3130 on: 17 Feb 2021, 19:59 »

Has anyone noticed how close this forum is to one million posts? I wasn't sure where to note this, but. Exciting.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3131 on: 19 Feb 2021, 19:08 »

Has anyone noticed how close this forum is to one million posts? I wasn't sure where to note this, but. Exciting.
The forum is past one million posts, now. Woo.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3132 on: 21 Feb 2021, 02:58 »

I don't want to be the poor Schmuck having to migrate something as old an voluminous as this...
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3133 on: 23 Feb 2021, 23:18 »

I know there's a book on different types of dragons that was published in antiquity. I wonder if there is one for sea monsters? Looking at different legendary sea monsters, many of them seem to just be sea serpents, then you have cephalopods, big fish (whales), mermaids of different varieties, etc.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3134 on: 24 Feb 2021, 01:40 »

I know there's a book on different types of dragons that was published in antiquity. I wonder if there is one for sea monsters? Looking at different legendary sea monsters, many of them seem to just be sea serpents, then you have cephalopods, big fish (whales), mermaids of different varieties, etc.
https://books.google.com/books/about/Sea_Monsters_on_Medieval_and_Renaissance.html?id=FxCdMQEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Morituri

« Reply #3135 on: 30 Mar 2021, 17:57 »

I'm easily amused.

So I got a new GPS unit today.  It has a simulated navigation mode, which is an option I have seen before on other models.  But this one has a speed multiplier so if you don't want to spend three hours pre-checking your three-hour planned trip, you can tell the device to do it at, say, 8x speed.

An innovation I haven't seen before is a first-person view - from a point about a meter and a half off the road.  Probably intended for use by pedestrians, but not limited to it.

So I told it to go to a destination about a thousand miles from here, avoiding highways, and set it up on my desk.  I'm watching through the virtual windshield here as it tears through the countryside on lonely little back roads at 300 miles per hour.  And sometimes slows down to about 95 while whipping through a town. 

It's detailed enough to show buildings, ditches, embankments, bluffs, and some trees, etc, but not fences.  I just wish it were more detailed.

I just wish the maps showed more detail.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #3136 on: 06 Apr 2021, 18:46 »

A friend of mine just got elected to the Bulgarian Parliament! That's something we didn't even that much hope for when we founded the party (2007, Green). It's the final count-down ;>

(We'll probably get  something like 7-10 out of 240 seats).
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2021, 18:54 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Morituri

« Reply #3137 on: 14 Apr 2021, 22:32 »

Woot!  You're part of history now.  When people ask how the Bulgarian Green party got started, you can say you were there.

.....  I've been listening to the news about a certain American Congresscreature.  Some parts of it make me kind of disgusted  (commercial sex with underage partners? Who are BROKERED to the event like so much catered food? Gag....)  but there's at least one thing I've heard with increasing amusement, and that's about these sex parties which are clearly organized by people who don't give a crap about good sex.

My most definitive thought on the matter is, the problem with alcohol-fueled sex parties where people are taking cocaine and ecstasy, is that Alcohol, Cocaine, and Ecstasy all make you bad at sex.  In fact, for most men anyway, any significant level of intoxication on any of them will keep you from going twice, and any serious level of intoxication on any of them will prevent being able even once.  And can you find a different way to do things if the little soldier won't stand up and salute?  Sure if your mind is working, but not if you're baked on drugs!  Although, from the POV of partners who are only having sex with them for the money, and w/r/t underage partners who shouldn't be engaging in sex with them at all, that is probably a good thing.

It's just, every time another detail comes out, it gets worse. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3138 on: 19 Apr 2021, 10:20 »

Something I saw on Slashdot seemed worth passing along.

by mavi_yelken ( 801565 )  on Monday April 19, 2021 @04:33AM (#61289636)
In nearly a century, we went from first powered flight on Earth to first powered flight on another Planet. Permit yourselves a moment of joy please, among the torrent of the adversity we call Life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

« Reply #3139 on: 20 Apr 2021, 21:47 »

There've been a couple of really interesting discoveries in particle physics lately, having to do with muons.  One at Fermilab, and a different one at CERN.  After fifty years of essentially nothing contradicting the standard model, it looks like these two experiments just may be revealing something that the standard model does not predict.

Which led me to think, you know, over the last hundred thousand years or so, humans have made a whole lot of important discoveries by banging rocks together.  It's just, lately, we've been using smaller and smaller rocks, and we've had to figure out ways to bang them *REALLY* hard.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3140 on: 30 Apr 2021, 06:10 »

It's just, every time another detail comes out, it gets worse.
I know the feeling...
The background.
Sex videos emerging from the Australian Parliament.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3141 on: 05 Jun 2021, 21:46 »

If plastic bags are made of plastic, and paper bags are made of paper, and canvas bags are made of canvas, then it's upsetting that the pet store is selling "dog waste bags".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3142 on: 06 Jun 2021, 09:17 »

not as upsetting as doggie bags.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3143 on: 07 Jun 2021, 16:21 »

if tin whistles are made out of tin what do they make fog horns out of bada booom that joke is way older than me
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3144 on: 08 Jun 2021, 18:44 »

Let's not get started on bullet bras...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3145 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:33 »

inb4 baby oil
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3146 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:18 »

I totally would buy that if it was made from babies.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3147 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:40 »

Isn’t baby oil for lubricating squeaky babies?

Morituri

« Reply #3148 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:42 »

This happened in 1975, when I was in high school.  (Please don't judge.  Yes dammit, I'm old.) 

I saw the National Enquirer once a week or so when we went into town grocery shopping.  I marveled at its headlines, amazed that people would believe this crap (and some definitely DID!).

One in particular caught my eye that year, and I actually bought the rag for the first and only time just to look at it and see what burble they were actually writing and whether there was more to it than the headlines might indicate, that gave people any reason to believe something so stupid.  To make a long story short, there wasn't.   The headline was something about Elvis Presley and Bigfoot having been abducted by Aliens which they had then overpowered and hijacked the UFO, bringing it back to Earth.

It was incredible.  In the literal sense, meaning it lacked ALL credibility.  There was no reason for anyone to take it seriously, and yet there it was.

Two years later, the movie 'Star Wars' came out. 

I could not help looking at Han Solo and Chewbacca, in control of the Millennium Falcon, and wondering whether the writers had seen the same story.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2021, 09:48 by Morituri »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3149 on: 10 Jun 2021, 20:55 »

Why do dogs only get white hair around their muzzle as they age where humans have it all turn white?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65   Go Up