THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]   Go Down

Author Topic: miscellaneous musings  (Read 532593 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: miscellaneous musings
« Reply #3200 on: 14 Feb 2022, 14:40 »

Absolutely, especially when they have more societal power.

In other news, I’m starting to think that if html/css were less forgiving, building a website would actually be easier.  Just display an error message with the offending line(s), rather than render garbage.

Edit: Sadly, it seems that it is cheaper to drive than it is to live somewhere civilised enough that I don’t need to.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2022, 07:14 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3201 on: 09 May 2022, 11:53 »

Double post just for the age:

You'd think, that by now, the CSS standard would have a built in option to confine children in the boxes the parents set out for them without having to fuck around with work-arounds.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #3202 on: 12 May 2022, 20:27 »

Today I learned about fat-tailed sheep.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3203 on: 12 May 2022, 21:07 »

Generally they do worse than just the tail docking.  Mulesing leaves the entire area a smooth hairless mass of scar tissue and is often done to prevent fly strike.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3204 on: 26 May 2022, 14:22 »

I don't even know what absurd whateverx by whatever thing I'm typing on this. it's about 50 feet or inches whatever you use. I'm only using it for this day. Man was it complicated.  ( I know,I checked, and I'm joking.) I used a literal tape measure to measure the diameter.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3205 on: 27 May 2022, 07:14 »

I don't know why, but its more relatable for me that I'm seeing phones in modern media being on vibrate and not have ring tones (Smiling Friends, Komi Can't Communicate). It feels realistic. I don't know anyone that still uses ring tones. That isn't to say no one does, but in my experience it seems that vibrate only has become the norm.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3206 on: 27 May 2022, 07:25 »

I have done the “vibrate only” thing for at least fifteen years now.  The downside is getting phantom vibrations in my pocket, even when I’m on the phone and it’s in my hand.  Also, I am known to miss calls/texts if I’m walking or biking.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #3207 on: 27 May 2022, 13:24 »

I'm about 50/50. My phone is on vibrate when I'm working, but when I'm done (and if I remember) I'll turn the sound back on. My ringtone is the theme from The Mandalorian, I love getting calls 😀
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3209 on: 18 Sep 2022, 14:44 »

Funny how those who demand that they be respected, often because of age, relation, or position automatically prove that they’re not worthy of it in the least by making that demand.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3210 on: 04 Oct 2022, 00:19 »

Respect, like trust, is earned.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3211 on: 26 Oct 2022, 17:30 »

I'm not sure that I agree. I believe that everyone is entitled to a basic respect by default until they forfeit it. Even once a person has behaved badly, I believe they are entitled to some respect. See my various postings about capital punishment.
Funny how those who demand that they be respected, often because of age, relation, or position automatically prove that they’re not worthy of it in the least by making that demand.
So true, which brings to mind this well-known meme.

In the Confucian world it is far too common for those we are supposed to respect (Kings, parents, men generally etc.) to ignore Master Kong's guidance that respect should flow down as well as up.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3212 on: 03 Nov 2022, 22:12 »

I really think that I must be rather odd.  I just finally saw that Netflix is offering a cheaper ad-supported tier.  Who knows, it may be successful, but personally, I’d rather do without something entirely than sit through even a single advert. 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3213 on: 04 Nov 2022, 04:44 »

I dropped my Netflix subscription at the beginning of this year, when I realized that not only does my typical session consist of me logging in, scrolling around, not finding anything interesting and logging out, but that I hadn't actually watched anything in a year. Adding ads, even at a lower price, does not tempt me to come back.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3214 on: 17 Dec 2022, 10:19 »

I’m avoiding helping with any of the crazed house cleaning that has been going on in the past week.  I’m dealing with people whose definition of “clean” seems to be “looks untouched by either human hand or entropy for the entirety of history”, and since nothing I do will ever reach that standard, I won’t even try.  But WTF is with people who think this way?  Do they really see everything as so out of control that they have to force this madness on everyone around them?  Are they completely unable to understand that life is messy?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]   Go Up