THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Destiny (xbox 360)  (Read 38047 times)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Destiny (xbox 360)
« on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:23 »

So, yesterday a friend of mine sent me an extra code he got for the Destiny beta, completely unexpectedly.  I now find myself able to get in on something I was absolutely not thinking I would, so I'll post stuff here as I play and frankly if I get kicked out of the beta for doing so, I've not really lost anything.  I'll spoiler tag stuff so as not to ruin anything for anyone, but yeah, I'll be commenting on it here.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2014, 10:49 by Blyss »
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Destiny Beta (xbox 360)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2014, 18:29 »

It's very Halo-esque, and the names for people are really dumb so far

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2014, 09:01 »

Okay, so first impression, non spoilery stuff:

Visuals - Pretty damned impressive.  Skyrim has been the measuring stick for me on the 360 for how beautiful a game can be, and this is either as good, or slightly better.  Bear in mind, I'm on the 360, and playing on a 40" plasma at 720p, so in all fairness it'll probably look better on current gen stuff at 1080p and who knows what 4k would look like.  That all said, there's something goofy about certain parts.  For some reason certain areas look very cartoony to me.  I haven't figured out why, unless it has to do with moving from a wide open space where everything is given such an eye for detail to a fairly small area that looks like 'videogame spaceport 1.111'.  It's actually a little jarring, to be honest.  Overall, the game is gorgeous but anyone following this release probably already knew that.

Sound - In all honesty, sound doesn't equate to much in games for me these days, unless it makes me notice it, and this one does.  I can't tell you how many times I was playing and immediately whipped around, looking in every direction to ascertain what the hell I just heard.  That is something I haven't seen so prevalent in a long time.  I don't know the specific mechanics used, but they did it right. 

Presentation - You won't find a lot of innovation here, but the formula being used is not a bad one.  The HUD, the screen prompts and the like are all pretty standard stuff.  If you've played FPS games in the last 10 years you'll be comfortable with what they have here.  Where you'll notice a change is the Menu, and I really like what they've done with that.  It's difficult to describe, but I guess if pressed I'd say that it is an 'aim' and click interface.  It's very intuitive, very easy to use, and you can get around quickly which is important since if you 'pause' in the worlds where enemies exist, they can still shoot you.  That's certainly not pausing in the traditional sense.  That said, I was still able to use it, and I didn't die once while paused.

Okay – spoilery stuff potentially follows, continue at your own risk and so on and so forth:

(click to show/hide)

If I find anything else worth mentioning, I’ll post it here, and if anyone has requests or questions about the game please don’t hesitate to ask.  If I can make it happen, or check it out, I will.

"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 18:21 »

Apparently, people are using the game to play Duck, Duck, Goose. In fact, there's a video floating around somewhere on youtube.
The future of video-gaming, ladies and gentlemen.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 19:54 »

You're given a hover bike to travel to places quicker and it makes me feel like I'm riding a speeder bike in Star Wars. The powers are a lot of fun, my character can make a giant shockwave so I run into the middle of a group of enemies and take them all out. My friends power lets him summon some kind of flaming gun that takes out enemies quicker. It's nice that there are generally a lot of folks hanging around in the hub and open world, mainly if you need to be saved or destroy something there's someone there to help do it. My friend and I have crashed a few raids and helped take out the bosses and it was fun.

Sadly we haven't seen any duck, duck, goose yet.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 21:26 »

Having made some bad decision in my gaming purchases lately, how would you rate the preorderability of this game at the moment? I probably end up doing it anyway to be easy on the cash, but yeah. . .
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2014, 21:39 »

Waaaaaaa. I have my beta key, and my Xbox, but my TV is still on a truck from DE... T_T
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2014, 22:46 »

Okay, so supposedly if you log in on Saturday at 2:00pm (Not sure what time zone though) you will get a bonus if you purchase the full game.  I'm personally going to check Bungie's site to see if they specify a time zone, but I haven't yet.

Tried a different class today.  Had a blast.  Found some amazing places and creatures.  Even as I signed off, there was still some talk with a friend of mine about what we would try to explore tomorrow.  I want to say, I wasn't even interested in this game.  Now I may actually preorder it.  It's that much fun, and my friends are definitely already buying it, so I'll have people I know to play with. 

Oh, and from what I hear, the beta is over after Sunday.  So, GM get that TV man.  You need to play this thing!  :)

My blog

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:01 »

The beta is now open to all. I haven't spent all that much time with it so I plan to check back in once it closes.

I absolutely love it, though.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2014, 09:02 »

I have not seen any duck, duck goose, but I did kick a soccer ball around the tower, and noticed some others batting what looked likea giant beach ball around as well.

Everyone seems to be having fun, and for the most part actually playing the way the game was meant to be played.    Last night, my friends and I got into (and survived) an area I don't think we were meant to.  It was surrounded by creatures that were marked with ?? for levels which means level 20 in the beta and are unkillable.  We managed to run into and then through their cave without dying.  Was pretty intense, but immensely fun.

My blog

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2014, 14:54 »

Damn my unemployment and letting my xbox live run out.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2014, 19:02 »

I've reached the level cap and gotten the alternate speeder

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2014, 08:25 »

I reached the level cap for all 3 classes and got the surfer as well.  I think I prefer the Hunter class over the warlock and titan, with warlock a close second. 

Playing today as part of the stress test and to hopefully get the bonus offered once the full game comes out.

Playing this game has converted me to a new fan.  I honestly wasn't interested at all, but the beta has convinced me that I will indeed pre-order and get this game now.  So yeah, good stuff.

Also - this fuckin' guy right here...

« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2014, 11:26 by Blyss »

My blog

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2014, 15:07 »

The moon is open.  Repeat: the moon is open.

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2014, 17:49 »

And there's a wizard there!

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2014, 18:19 »

lmao. It's been closed again now.  That mission was exceedingly fun and my friend and I explored everything we could while it was open.

Also, Bungie has now stated on their website that they will be keeping the beta open until they say otherwise, so the Sunday deadline is no more.  If you can at all, I highly recommend trying this game.  I haven't had that much fun with a game in a long time.

It's been a hell of a few days, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2014, 22:12 by Blyss »

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:33 »

I guess I should try out another class, I'm a Titan and  my friend was a stalker so maybe I'll try the Wizard class

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:44 »

Hmmm, might get a month of live and have a whack then.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2014, 08:54 »

So, I created Fearful Symmetry on bungie.net, if anyone is interested in joining so we can destroy things together.  :)

My blog

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2014, 15:16 »

Hey, where is the notice saying that the beta is open until bungie says otherwise? Want to show some friends.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2014, 15:21 »

T_T my Xbox and TV STILL aren't here. Gods damn it all! I wanna plaaaaay!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2014, 20:29 »

Hey, where is the notice saying that the beta is open until bungie says otherwise? Want to show some friends.

Bungie have, unfortunately, said otherwise.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2014, 21:17 »

Bungie have, unfortunately, said otherwise.

Yeah it was on their website yesterday, then gone today and now the beta servers are down.  That was actually kind of a shitty way to end it.   :meh:

My blog

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2014, 21:49 »

Well, that was cockteasing of them :S

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2014, 23:44 »

Well shit, and I was gonna go and get my Xbox from my folks house so I could play it :/

Oh well.

Incidentally, y'all should add me on XBL - I'm 'LJ Felix' on there as well
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2014, 08:35 »

I'll add you today LJ Felix, and yeah, it was a pretty bad move to do that.  I mean, my friends and I read it and thought, "well hell they're going to keep this open for a while."  Then they went and shut it down on Sunday, as was initially stated would happen.  They didn't exactly lie, they did shut it down when they wanted to, but boy did it feel misleading coming from them that Sunday wasn't necessarily the shut down day, and then to shut it down on Sunday anyway.

Kind of a bad PR move after how well everything else went this weekend, but then, they only opened the moon for 2 hours, and a lot of people were pretty pissed that they missed it because they were at work.  I think that overall the beta was a positive experience, but it genuinely ended on a sour note for me because of how they handled it.

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2014, 14:44 »

I was planning on trying the Wizard class today

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2014, 13:24 »

The servers started getting really chaotic towards the end so I guess that factored into their decision. They had an event planned for the Sunday too which they cancelled due to server instability / testing. I think they did plan to keep it open for longer but then either decided they had all the information they needed or just had other concerns / priorities.

I've been playing on PS4 so I hope it's okay for me to join in on here, but yeah I seriously can't wait until release, now. Folk have said the beta was fundamentally just the demo and I definitely see that.

It's so odd to me that the game is almost literally a mix of Halo and Borderlands but so, so much better than either of them alone, as far as I'm concerned. I was never really into Halo and Borderlands bored me to play solo but I've had an absolute blast with Destiny, even just running around in explore mode and grinding mobs / events. I think being invested in the aesthetic is certainly motivating my play, too; I want my character to look good which means getting new / better gear which means more interest in farming. I spent hours grinding glimmer to buy a new ship!

I'm certainly excited to see how the full game plays out; exploring class options, seeing how the content expands and so on. As a PS4 user, it feels like the first real 'next gen' experience I've had in terms of the graphical fidelity and general smoothness of the whole thing, which also makes me excited for the future.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2014, 14:17 »

Did anybody play it on the . . . *Sigh*. . . Xbone?

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2014, 14:45 »

*raises hand*

I enjoyed it. Definitely got the Borderlands meets Halo vibe. Looking forward to the full release.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2014, 18:43 »

Thanks to a lack of decent interwebs, it looks likeI've missed out, but I fully intend on getting the full game when it comes out.
RedWolf - My mate did it on the 'Bone and on his 360, said it was a lot smoother, and the graphics were so much more purty than on the 360, but I guess that's just to be expected from a next-gen console
~She/Her/They/Them~

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2014, 19:41 »

I did it on the X1 as well

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2014, 10:27 »

The servers started getting really chaotic towards the end so I guess that factored into their decision. They had an event planned for the Sunday too which they cancelled due to server instability / testing. I think they did plan to keep it open for longer but then either decided they had all the information they needed or just had other concerns / priorities.

I've been playing on PS4 so I hope it's okay for me to join in on here, but yeah I seriously can't wait until release, now. Folk have said the beta was fundamentally just the demo and I definitely see that.

It's so odd to me that the game is almost literally a mix of Halo and Borderlands but so, so much better than either of them alone, as far as I'm concerned. I was never really into Halo and Borderlands bored me to play solo but I've had an absolute blast with Destiny, even just running around in explore mode and grinding mobs / events. I think being invested in the aesthetic is certainly motivating my play, too; I want my character to look good which means getting new / better gear which means more interest in farming. I spent hours grinding glimmer to buy a new ship!

I'm certainly excited to see how the full game plays out; exploring class options, seeing how the content expands and so on. As a PS4 user, it feels like the first real 'next gen' experience I've had in terms of the graphical fidelity and general smoothness of the whole thing, which also makes me excited for the future.

It's absolutely fine to join in on the conversation.  I'd not meant to limit it to 360 experiences alone, was just trying to let people know what system I was using personally.  My friends played it on the PS4 as well, and they had nothing but good things to say about it. 

About the glimmer grinding, I thought about it, and to be honest, even in only this limited release I got a ship and a speeder and a new banner for each class and while yes, I did indeed grind to get them it never felt like grinding.  I was just exploring, and would happen upon enemies that needed killing and I would get glimmer for doing so.  That is a major difference for me, considering how many times I've played the Coveted and Rooftop Rumble missions in GTA V just to grind for cash.  I would occasionally look around and go, "wow, I have enough glimmer to buy some shit," and then I'd go buy something.  That is a vastly different experience than I am used to.

My blog

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2014, 15:52 »

For sure... I said grinding because I was intentionally running a circuit to get glimmer to buy stuff, that was my goal, but yeah I never had that point of being like "ugh okay here we go again" or whatever. I found a great spot where some rare / tougher mobs spawned in packs and also random events kicked off in the same area so just hanging around there was great, plus a constant stream of people running through.

I think this in general sums up a lot of why I enjoyed thing. I did a lot of things I'm used to doing in MMOs in terms of grinding or farming for gear or drops or whatever but I really enjoyed the process in of itself, like I would do that for a while and then go "okay, need a quick break... oh wow I have all these engrams to decode", rather than the other way round, I guess.

September seems forever away ;_;

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2014, 13:41 »

10 days  :psyduck:

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #35 on: 03 Sep 2014, 19:38 »

6 more.

My blog

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #36 on: 03 Sep 2014, 23:47 »

So I'm out. On the grounds that I'm not paying for Xbox Live any more. So I don't have a way to play :P

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #37 on: 04 Sep 2014, 02:55 »

I ended up swapping out for the PS4. Gonna pick up a bundle on the ninth.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 04 Sep 2014, 18:09 »

I'm judging you, Red.

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks after it comes out to get it. Mainly out of monetary concerns than anything else
~She/Her/They/Them~

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #39 on: 04 Sep 2014, 22:07 »

You can't Judge me!! You don't even have a legal degree!!

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #40 on: 04 Sep 2014, 22:21 »

Well, actually... ::)

(I kid.)
~She/Her/They/Them~

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #41 on: 05 Sep 2014, 00:09 »

Objection!!

(Sorry, I shotgunned almost the entirety of SVU in the past week or so)

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #42 on: 05 Sep 2014, 04:09 »

MY ORDER HAS BEEN SHIPPED!

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #43 on: 05 Sep 2014, 15:04 »

This announcement from Bungie is super interesting for people buying Destiny and considering a console upgrade. Basically, if you move from X360 > XB1 or PS3 > PS4, they're offering a free upgrade on your copy of Destiny through digital.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2014, 16:58 by maxusy3k »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #44 on: 08 Sep 2014, 19:30 »

On my way to Gamestop right now.  :D

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 08 Sep 2014, 19:39 »

Gonna get it TOMORROW...after work and before class, though I have the gym later so that kind of sucks

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #46 on: 08 Sep 2014, 22:12 »

I'm hoping it turns up with today's post as it didn't arrive yesterday.

I'm really not sure what class to play! I played Hunter in Beta and loved it and was pretty much set on rolling that way now but between the sassy Warlock in the live action trailer and what I'm reading about the Titan's potential as a support class I've become really uncertain.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #47 on: 09 Sep 2014, 20:34 »

I haven't noticed any differences from the beta so far aside from the enemies being a little bit tougher

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #48 on: 10 Sep 2014, 04:06 »

Yeah they've definitely tweaked the difficulty. I feel like the experience rate and item drops aren't really at the same level as they were in the beta either. I'm still enjoying it though, for sure!

Plowed through Moon Campaign missions lastnight / this morning and spent some time exploring. Managed to do the strike on the Moon as well and wow, insanely difficult (especially when one of your two teammates drops out halfway through).

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #49 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:55 »

Oh, and enemies spawn faster. I cleared an area, the old plane yard, only to find the enemies had already come back at the start of it. I'm not complaining, more guys to kill, but later on that may be a nuisance with higher level enemies.

Some tips for playing Destiny
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up