THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Halp - the IT support thread  (Read 18282 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Halp - the IT support thread
« on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:25 »

I have found two DVDs which I vaguely remember writing many years ago (about ten years) and on each of the DVDs are five or six .avi files. When I put them into my USB DVD player which works perfectly with commercial DVDs, they simply fail to load, almost every time. Three or four times I have successfully managed to get the DVD to work and have been able to explore the disc and play the files, but my attempts to copy the files across onto my computer have been thwarted by lack of time or the computer freezing. Now I can't get the DVDs to work at all. What can I do?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Halp - the IT support thread
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:21 »

I can't actually help at all, replying in case there's ever anything I can help with, but the idea of May saying 'halp' is so adorable.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:43 »

Try them in someone else's computer. Check all of the discs for scratches and things like that. Is there any particular error message that comes up when you put them in?
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 09:03 »

LJFelix beat me to it, but yeah that's the best approach.  And knowing the message it gives you when it doesn't move them over would be helpful, or am I misinterpreting and it simply freezes after a while of copying?
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:03 »

There's no error message; when the disc doesn't load (almost all the time) the DVD player just whirrs and then quietens down over and over, and when it does load but won't copy, it just freezes and says "not responding" until I unplug the DVD player.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 12:59 »

I have found two DVDs which I vaguely remember writing many years ago (about ten years)

Many writeable DVDs of that age will have deteriorated, especially if not kept in the dark, to the point that the data becomes sufficiently corrupt that the drives can't handle them; error handling in these cases is abysmally bad in all drives, and locking up completely is quite common.  The only chance is to continue to try different drives in the hope that you will find one that can manage to read them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2014, 15:24 »

hmm.  Does Windows have an analogue of the dd command?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2014, 16:00 »

The DVDs worked a couple of times today, as long as I restarted the computer with the DVD out of the drive and the drive not plugged in, and then plugged in the drive and loaded the DVD once it had fully started up. I still couldn't get the files copied across though.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2014, 16:22 »

I suspect that due to the damage to the dyes in the dvds, that the copy is failing due to the error-correction bits of the copy utility, but if you have playback, the errors were able to be handled properly by whatever media viewing software you were using.  If you have anything that can just clone the disk, instead of the normal copy procedure, that may help you avoid the copy failures (the drive's error-checking might still cause a few headaches, though), and get the files onto your HDD.  Someone here who knows more about Windows than I do might be able to do a bit more in that regard, but I found this with a quick search: http://lifehacker.com/5839753/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-windows  If things work properly, it'll be able to perform a perfect copy (errors and all) of your dvds onto your hard drive.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2014, 17:50 »

^ This.
You could also download a decent file-copy program such as TeraCopy :)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2014, 18:15 »

^ This.
You could also download a decent file-copy program such as TeraCopy :)
That sounds like even a better one.  I still don't understand why copying files (especially fscked ones) is so damned frustrating from the standard GUI.  On both *nix and FruitOS, I find myself forced to go to the command-line if I want things to work properly.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2014, 22:47 »

You're getting great advice here - I'm out.  :)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:05 »

yeah, on linux I'd have suggested ddrescue.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2014, 09:32 »

My friend brought her (more up to date) laptop over and the DVD played straight off on hers, so I guess it's partly an issue with my DVD player or laptop; however, other DVDs are fine on mine so who knows?

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2014, 18:26 »

So is this a general IT support thread? This might be a little silly, but I really want to get the Sims 4 when it comes out, but apparently EA are being jerks (as usual) and aren't making a Mac version in the foreseeable future. Apparently you can set up Windows on a Mac through something called Bootcamp, but an extra operating system takes up quite a lot of space and I wouldn't use it for anything other than this one game. Also Windows is expensive and I don't feel like spending $100 extra on a game (who would). Are there any other ways of playing a PC game on a Mac?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2014, 19:37 »

For games/software in general, WINE can be an option.  But after checking winehq for "Sims 4", it's currently not working at all.  Only option at this point is dual-booting.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2014, 19:40 »

WINE generally only works for older games, and copy protection schemes (which EA loves) tend to be a problem as well.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Metope

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2014, 19:45 »

I guess it's hard to know since it's not even out yet. I might just wait a bit and see if there are any news after the PC release date, or maaaaybe find a not so legal download of Windows and use Bootcamp anyway.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:08 »

If you still have valid student credentials, check out any MS deals for students you can find (your institution may have others) - they may be theoretically limited to the validity of your credentials, but I don't think anything gets checked after purchase (I'll be in trouble when I retire if they do!!).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2014, 21:01 »

My student ID expired, and even with the student discount it's more money than I'd be willing to pay for something I'd never even consider acquiring if it wasn't for EA being dumb and not making a Mac version of the game. Downloaded a free version of Windows, but even with Boot Camp I have no idea how to install it, so meh. I guess I'll just wait a year or however long it takes for the Mac version to come out.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014, 21:25 by Metope »

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2014, 05:34 »

I have some sort of flash problems. Embed youtube links doesn't work. Any ideas, any one?

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #21 on: 07 Sep 2014, 22:25 »

For some reason video editing software tends to cause intermittent audio driver crashes so I then have to go and restart them. I assumed it was Windows Movie Maker being the worst program to ever exist, but Premiere Elements does it too. Sound editing doesn't cause this, nor does doing anything else seem to. I don't know if there's anything to be done about it, it's more of annoyance than anything, I just don't understand why it happens.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #22 on: 07 Sep 2014, 22:28 »

What kind of files are you trying to edit?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #23 on: 07 Sep 2014, 23:41 »

Just straight up MPEG files, and MP3s for music and recorded narration but those don't seem to be the problem, it's playing video in the program that sometimes causes it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 08 Sep 2014, 06:32 »

May well still be the audio drivers (I have three audio devices installed and do a bit of video editing, and have never experienced this).  Have you checked for any updates?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:46 »

What is your set-up?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2014, 06:59 »

I currently can not browse to QC forums from home.  AT ALL.  Been like that for almost a week now.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:36 »

As you know, I see the same issue with Chrome (only) running on Windows XP (only); I have no problem with Chrome on Windows 7 as you have.  This suggests something in your router/firewall setup.  What happens when you go to https://questionablecontent.net ?  You should see the comic, but with a broken layout (I'm trying to get that fixed*); if you see nothing, then your router is not passing https.

The guy who runs Jeph's server has been trying to get him to make the necessary changes for three months now, apparently.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 15:03 by pwhodges »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:15 »

Wahey! I'm a moron!

So basically I forgot to transfer some files off a Nexus 7 before doing a factory reset. Any idea how I can get them back?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?
« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:05 »

Boot into the boot loader, and hope that the files weren't a part of the system partition.   

There should be an option to connect to external USB... use that to connect to your computer.   There is likely a protocol you have to download for the Nexus 7, then it will work like a flash drive.  Browse for your files and pull them off.   Otherwise, enjoy your phone call to India my friend.
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:21 »

Power + volume down? Now I have a mostly black screen with the mascot on its back and a message saying 'No command'. It's unresponsive.

Rather irritatingly, I charged it this afternoon so waiting for it to die is going to take a while.

EDIT: Belay that.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2014, 18:26 »

As you know, I see the same issue with Chrome (only) running on Windows XP (only); I have no problem with Chrome on Windows 7 as you have.  This suggests something in your router/firewall setup.  What happens when you go to https://questionablecontent.net ?  You should see the comic, but with a broken layout (I'm trying to get that fixed*); if you see nothing, then your router is not passing https.

The guy who runs Jeph's server has been trying to get him to make the necessary changes for three months now, apparently.
I see nothing.  I can HTTPS elsewhere, just not to qc

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #32 on: 23 Oct 2014, 00:37 »

If you see nothing on https from the comic either, then something between you and the server is blocking it.  The server is the same for the comic and the forum, but the matter is hugely complicated by the fact the CloudFlare is sitting between us and the actual server, giving us many different addresses.  You could try asking if your ISP can see any reason for this; I'm even wondering if there is some malware involved which hasn't yet adapted to life post-Poodle...

I can't think of anything more to suggest without getting down to the level of detailed network tracing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #33 on: 03 Dec 2014, 05:54 »

Can anyone please recommend a good pop-up blocker for Safari, being used on a Mac laptop or whatever the fuck it is you call it when it has an apple on it?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #34 on: 03 Dec 2014, 05:57 »

Cue all the idiots trying to be helpful by suggesting another browser in 3... 2... 1...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 03 Dec 2014, 07:16 »

Yeah please nobody do that, even as a joke, cannot be bothered with it, it's not my computer anyway.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 03 Dec 2014, 09:54 »

I was actually going to suggest another Operating System...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #37 on: 03 Dec 2014, 10:30 »

Yeah please nobody do that, even as a joke, cannot be bothered with it, it's not my computer anyway.
It ought to have one built-in.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #38 on: 03 Dec 2014, 16:06 »

What's it called?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #39 on: 03 Dec 2014, 19:34 »

Outdated, but instructions here.  If they moved the pref somewhere else, just google "pop-up blocker safari $current_OS_version"  Also, IIRC, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and iCab can all be run from a thumb-drive if you decide to actually go for the "other browser" option.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #40 on: 08 Dec 2014, 15:36 »

So does anyone know what "Soulseek" is? I'm studying on campus and just got this email from my university.

Technology Services wants to proactively notify you of network use that may lead to copyright infringement notices or legal action.

Network software called Integrity has detected network traffic that indicates that a file-sharing program may be running on your computer. Perhaps you have installed a program used for downloading and sharing songs, videos, or computer programs. Media downloaded using this sort of program may be in violation of copyright, and if this is the case, we recommend that you remove from your computer the file-sharing program and any downloaded files.  However, because the Integrity system does not examine the contents of the files being transferred, Integrity may have detected the lawful download of non-copyrighted material or of files to which you have licensed access, such as online game updates.

The following log has been included to help you identify the file-sharing program:

P2P - Soulseek at 12/8/14 6:21 PM

I have not, to my knowledge, downloaded anything today. Does anyone know if Soulseek may be connected to innocent background updates (I use Spotify and Steam), or is it possibly malware?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 09 Dec 2014, 00:18 »

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #42 on: 25 Feb 2015, 10:25 »

I've been playing around with using Windows Server 2012 (R2) for my home office server and it's working well...well, except for this morning when my file shares seemed to disappear. When I remote desktop into the server, I can access the folders and files using their local path (D:\serverfiles\etc...) but the shares (\\server\share) are no longer.

Google and MSDN aren't exactly helpful at the moment. Has this happened to anyone here? I've restarted the server and bounced the network cable just to see if that would help. (It didn't.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #43 on: 25 Feb 2015, 10:41 »

Just recreate them, and that may generate an error if there's really something wrong.  Do they work locally (by typing \\share into the run box on the server itself)?

How did you find a copy of Windows Server at a price that home use justifies (or shouldn't I ask!)?

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:19 »

Just recreate them, and that may generate an error if there's really something wrong.  Do they work locally (by typing \\share into the run box on the server itself)?
Good idea. When I recreate the share, I get a note that the server cannot access the D$ admin share. Further Googling leads me to believe it might be a problem with User Access Control.

How did you find a copy of Windows Server at a price that home use justifies (or shouldn't I ask!)?
Haha, no, you can certainly ask: I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, which is essentially for small business settings. I'm buying time on purchasing it, though, by working on a 180-day evaluation period through Microsoft TechNet.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #45 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:28 »

And everything's back. I changed a setting in DFS (disabling access-based enumeration), restarted the box, and I can access my shares again.

Hmm.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 25 Feb 2015, 14:00 »

But now where will we get our sofas?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #47 on: 25 Feb 2015, 16:14 »

I got Microsoft Server for free

This message is coming from Tapatalk inside my phone!

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:05 »

which version?

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:32 »

Microsoft Exchange Server 14, 13, 12 and more, Microsoft Lync Server 2010, 13, Microsoft SQL Server 14, 12, 08, Microsoft Sharepoint Server 13, 10, 07, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012, R1 and R2, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2012 R2, Technical Preview.

And some of the more obscure ones, like the Business ones, Project Server and Office ones.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up