THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort-of related to QC: Are the 4"x5" WACOM's good?  (Read 9938 times)

Ioden

I know Jeph does QC on a WACOM, and so I'm asking him and anyone who uses them: Are the $80 (at newegg), 4 inch x 5 inch WACOM drawing tablets good? I don't have the money for the $300 ones, but I want a WACOM tablet so I can finally do my webcomic!

lb969

Sort-of related to QC: Are the 4"x5" WACOM's good?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 18:40 »

im getting myself one....

I know some VERY good artists at another site that use the smaller Wacoms, only difference is that you have to adjust the image to keep drawing past the tablets dimensions.

Sometimes it causes a little bit of a problem with fluidity, but all in all they work pretty well.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2004, 19:29 »

This belongs in Comics & Drawings.

That being said, I have a smaller, 6x8 Wacom that I like every bit as much as the big 9x12 I draw QC with.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

torg

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2004, 02:41 »

yep... i have a wacom 6x8 graphire 3 which is just great

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2004, 09:18 »

Last time I used a 4x5 it was disappointing to say the least.  If you have the sheckles for a big one, go for the big one, otherwise I would just work on my mouse/trackball skill.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

streever

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2004, 15:54 »

I own a 12 x 12

It is way too big

I mean, I do drawing and things on it, but still... gah. It is too big.

A 9 x 12 might be better... or even a 6 x 8 or whatever the hell it is. Lately though I think maybe I just NEED A BIGGER DESK.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:38 »

Tonight's strip was drawn on my 6x8 Graphire3 since I'm out of town.

Make of that what you will.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Wysiwyg

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2004, 02:24 »

What exactly are the advantages of a 6x8 or bigger over a 4x5 Wacom?

Riot

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2004, 13:22 »

My wife has a 6x8 which i use on occasion. Once I actually get more into CG and learn to procrastinate less I'll probably be using it more or getting my own little 4x5.

The only major differences really is the drawing space. It's kinda important I guess since it kinda effects the way you draw. Basically think of the whole drawing area as the size of your monitor as a whole.

So, with a 4x5 it's kinda like you're drawing a teeny tiny caricature on a teeny tiny pad, but instead it's actually turning out as a larger drawing. With a bigger pad, you're drawing a bigger caricature on a bigger pad, but it's coming out the same size on the monitor. For me, it doesn't seem like it makes much of a difference, especially since I will most likely keep doing my actual penciling traditionally, and just ink/color digitally... so I will be buying the relatively cheaper 4x5. It's a Wacom anyway, it will always be good. '-'

You can also adjust the drawing dimensions as lb969 stated earlier.

There's also the differences in pressure sensitivity, but that usually varies by model, and not size dimensions.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2004, 14:21 »

I don't notice any difference in terms of mechanics when working with the smaller tablet- it's still mapped to the entire screen so I just work with the space that I have available. The big one is a little "looser" to use because I have more room to move my hand around, but that's about the only difference in my experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up