THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343350 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #250 on: 08 Jan 2015, 21:08 »

Hoyt's an okay villain (and unlike someone told me once, he really is there since the opening sequences) but Vaas really does steal the show. Doesn't help that he's a lot more personal.

Second half of the game, by the way, does break up some of the routine from the first, in pleasant ways. Not entirely, it's still Far Cry 3, but hey.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #251 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:00 »

The Ending of Far Cry 3 makes me call shens. The only ending that really makes sense for Jason is utter shite.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #252 on: 09 Jan 2015, 09:41 »

Playing Vic 2 and I was finally able to create the North German Federation (including Luxemburg and alsace-lorraine) in the span of 8 years.  I have never been able to do it at all, now I was able to yay!.  Now to decide whether to get the southern German states OR merely sphere them and knock Austria out of being a super power and sphere them too before forming Germany to create Super Germany!

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #253 on: 09 Jan 2015, 15:42 »

I got my first heavy crusier in KanColle! Kako!

New anime: My Heavy Cruiser Can't Possible Be This Cute.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #254 on: 09 Jan 2015, 21:53 »

^
what game is that ?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #255 on: 09 Jan 2015, 23:11 »

It's called Kantai Collection

these two videos kinda sum it up:

In short girls born with the souls of former warships are called to do battle against a paranormal/supernatural threat that has completely seized earth's oceans called the Abyssal.

In practice it's basically a card game with RPG elements ruled over by a cruel god known as RNG-sama (Random Number Generator) a close relative of the dice gods, but more openly spiteful of it's supplicants.

As this video shows, it's kinda like Poke'mon on some level, with hundreds of ships in various classes available, but y'know, cute girls, cannons and torpedos.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #256 on: 10 Jan 2015, 19:03 »

Dead Island: Riptide.  I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #257 on: 11 Jan 2015, 20:51 »

I wanted to like Dead Island, but before long it was so much 'eh'.

They managed to salvage it with Riptide?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #258 on: 12 Jan 2015, 09:16 »

It had some gameplay issues that I couldn't stand. Fallout and Pokémon aside I don't generally like levelling up, and its save point system left a LOT to be desired. I eventually just got bored well before it finished.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #259 on: 12 Jan 2015, 12:57 »

Farcry's and the Elder Scrolls' series leveling systems were pretty good too. My biggest problem with leveling in games is that you can't do a lot of fun stuff until later in the game.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #260 on: 12 Jan 2015, 14:00 »

I started playing "Mark of the Ninja" over the weekend, and so far I'm loving it. My only beef is that I can't play as the girl ninja. But then a girl could never be the clan's champion, remaining true to the cultural context, could she?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #261 on: 12 Jan 2015, 14:02 »

Bet she could if she stabbed enough people.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #262 on: 12 Jan 2015, 15:32 »

Rediscovered, bought, and completed Star Wars Republic Commando. God damn that was a great game for its time. Wish there was a HD remake :/
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #263 on: 12 Jan 2015, 15:53 »

Rediscovered, bought, and completed Star Wars Republic Commando. God damn that was a great game for its time. Wish there was a HD remake :/
Read the books. At least the first two.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Grognard

« Reply #264 on: 12 Jan 2015, 20:22 »

the Kantai Collection looks interesting.
but I'd need a lot of English subtitles to be able to play it.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #265 on: 12 Jan 2015, 21:17 »

I started playing "Mark of the Ninja" over the weekend, and so far I'm loving it. My only beef is that I can't play as the girl ninja. But then a girl could never be the clan's champion, remaining true to the cultural context, could she?

Champion? Maybe. Kunoichi have been mostly romanticised even more than regular ninja, and hyper-sexualized to boot... even now it's not quite clear how the Ninja clans operated fully from an organization standpoint, but we know female ninja existed, and that the organizations were very merit based... so if someone was good enough, I don't see why she couldn't be the clan champion. Of course direct combat was so rare for ninja any way that it might actually be of benefit to have a woman be the top spy.

the Kantai Collection looks interesting.
but I'd need a lot of English subtitles to be able to play it.

The interface really isn't too terrible in the grand scheme of things, and there's a tool called KanColle Viewer that has a English translation for the quests and some of the text.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #266 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:22 »

I wanted to like Dead Island, but before long it was so much 'eh'.

They managed to salvage it with Riptide?

Not sure about salvaged, but they did make it a little better in my eyes.  One thing to consider, I only ever played the first one solo, and I've been playing this one with friends online.  That makes a huge difference.  Even still, and even alone, I am enjoying playing the game.  I didn't enjoy the first one for very long.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #267 on: 16 Jan 2015, 16:33 »

"Mark of the Ninja" has so much going for it, but I'm getting pretty fed up with the bugs, especially in the checkpoint system. :-(
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #268 on: 18 Jan 2015, 23:18 »

I've finished L.A. Noire and I just want to declare my love for it. I think it's brilliant that you play Cole Phelps but feel like you don't actually know him. He makes decisions that surprise the player as much as they surprise the other characters in the game.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #269 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:03 »

I don't remember much about LA Noire, but I do remember thinking ... well, several things, but one of them being 'Man, this feels like it's missing a few pieces, ones that would make this all flow and fit a helluva lot better'. Especially the Homicide over-arc.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #270 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:24 »

I watched a walk-through of Alien: Isolation over the past week (divided up into easily-digestible chucks; run time ten and a half hours!). Overall an excellent story and a terrifyingly immersive game, even for someone who is only watching someone else play. It's very much in Ridley Scott's artistic style; I'd love to see it turned into an 'Alien 5' film.

Does anyone else agree with me that the ending scene was 'To be continued...'? My options are:
  • It is the Yautja (Predators); it's established that they exist in the same continuity;
  • It is [$RND_STARSHIP], probably another Company ship and Ripley is in hot water for evidently blowing up several tens of billions of dollars of assets as well as murdering Sevastopol's entire population. She's looking Life without possibility of parole... unless she does them a little favour and go on an Easter Egg hunt for them;
  • It is the Sulaco somehow (handwave - there is an emergency hypersleep inducer in Ripley's Seegson-built space-suit) and they're going to de-canonise the dire Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Grognard

« Reply #271 on: 22 Jan 2015, 18:40 »

been playing too much WoT.

wife isn't happy to be going to bed alone.

and it's hard to function on 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

so.  much.  Tankery.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #272 on: 23 Jan 2015, 12:21 »

I just prefer watching Jingles' vids on the subject.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #273 on: 23 Jan 2015, 14:13 »

I WOULD be trying to finish Inquisition, but no, my PS4 decides that it wants to just keep ejecting. Stupid error.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #274 on: 23 Jan 2015, 14:39 »

Now you see, I didn't think Shadows of Mordor was released on the 360.

But yet here it is, in my purse.

Eeeee

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #275 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:09 »

It supposedly isn't that great on last-gen.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #276 on: 23 Jan 2015, 18:14 »

Well, it's exactly what one would expect it to be: a visual downgrade, with longer loading times.

That last bit is the only part that bugs me, because it *does* cause it to hang a bit between menu screens and the like.

But, and this is very important, this means I get to play this sweet game. And so far the actual gameplay isn't changed.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #277 on: 24 Jan 2015, 06:40 »

Like Forza Horizon 2 on X360 then. Oh lord how sweet those roads are to thrash on my F40 again.

Yes, I used an F40 through most of Horizon 1.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #278 on: 24 Jan 2015, 23:14 »

Still trying to play more KanColle.... thinking about getting GTAV

KanColle recruiting slogan:
Join the Navy. See the world. Meet interesting people and kill them. Graft guns and missiles to the bodies of young women and girls and use them as weapon platforms. Instantly become an admiral. Date your subordinates without fear of repercussion. See your local IJN recruiter today!
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2015, 00:00 by GarandMarine »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #280 on: 26 Jan 2015, 13:50 »

Having played through "Mark of the Ninja" a couple of times, I'd say it is very good, and well worth playing if you have not done so. The story is slight, and the ending is an anticlimax, but this is a puzzle/stealth/platform game so that's not a big deal, I think. The art-style is very appealing, and used especially well in the ending sequence.

Complaints? There are a few bugs in the game. Mostly they don't matter, and none seem to cause the game to hang or crash. The checkpoint system though can be annoying. I had to replay a level because the game kept spawning me in a location where I died instantly, and left me in a spawn/die/spawn/die loop. It would be nice if the game let you go back to any of, say, the last two checkpoints.

The Mac version from Steam has a bug where it crashes on startup, if you try to launch it without previously having started and logged on your Steam client. It displays no message other than the usual crash-dump window.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2015, 14:05 by Akima »

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #281 on: 26 Jan 2015, 13:55 »

Yeah, they always do the Mac patches last.

In other news, according to steam I have been on Civ5 for 45 hours in the last 3 days.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #282 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:46 »

Gravity Ghost looks like it will appeal to the Transistor / Bastion crowd.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #283 on: 28 Jan 2015, 03:29 »

So two nice little finds today.

First is Ultimate general gettysburg, a real time simulation of that battle that also includes a variety of what if scenarios. What makes it interesting is the gameplay, which is surprisingly intuitive once learned, and the designer. If any of you are Total war fans, you may have heard of the DarthMods, which I believe are generally considered the best mods for those games. Anyway, the guy behind those is the designer, so if you're familiar with the quality of his mod work, you have an idea of what you might be getting.

Second is Fractured Space, a game that plays with the MOBA genre by doing it IN SPAAAAACE! It's in a pretty early alpha stage, as can be seen with alot of the UI and menus that will not fucking work like you expect them to, but if you take that into account, (And the fact that it was only ten bucks like right now.) you get a rather intriguing game that pits battleship against battleship against each other in a pitched battle for resources, that looks really good when it all comes together.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #284 on: 30 Jan 2015, 17:52 »

I have fought in the shrieking mud as the horses screamed and the arrows flew and the blood flowed like rain

I have ridden to the rescue of village after village, saving them from banditry and ruin.

I have dazzled the lords of the land in martial display after martial display.

I have lead good men and women to death and glory against armies one, two, three times and more our own size, purging outlaw armies from the land and crushing their lairs and hideouts into the dust.

And STILL that faux-Russian bastard won't grant me a fiefdom as his vassal.

Still that not-English king mocks me with his compliments to my valor, but no patronage.

I do not dare the heartbreak of being turned away by my former fake-Mongolian lord.

But that's okay, that's okay.... they'll see.

They'll see as I pull their crying broken bodies from their thrones and set their rivals at the royal tables....

(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #285 on: 31 Jan 2015, 13:34 »

So it turned out that I could swear vassalage without being given a fief, then the proto-Russian gave me a fief anyway.

I was just gonna go conquer an enemy castle or something, but that (bug) works too.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #286 on: 02 Feb 2015, 04:24 »

Capturing an enemy castle in Warband is:
1. Harder than it looks, and
2. Not guaranteed to get you the castle.
After a town or castle is captured, the lords of that faction vote on who gets it. So once you capture it, you have to run around to all your pals and try to convince them to support you instead. It's really annoying for a while, until you've done a few quests for them and got their approval higher.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #287 on: 02 Feb 2015, 14:49 »

Oh yeah, thanks but I know that; capturing enemy fortresses is what Tigger- I mean Naes does best!
(click to show/hide)

And I've found kicking enough enemy lords' asses usually goes a long way in people going 'hey maybe that person should get the thing'. Then again that was on a male character, on a playthrough with Swadia where I desperately tried (and failed) to convince King Harlaus to *not* make me the Marshall for a three-front war.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #288 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:10 »

Just finished my first play of Eversion.

It's a fun and challenging platformer and that's all you need to know going in. If you decide to play it try to know at little as possible before hand.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #289 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:35 »

Sunless Sea.

Incidentally this also means I'm playing Fallen London.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #290 on: 07 Feb 2015, 01:39 »

Thinking about starting a new game of Warband. Does anybody know when Mount & Blade 2 is supposed to come out?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #291 on: 07 Feb 2015, 10:27 »

At a training day at work recently I found a 3D version of Tetris. It's a little badly designed but it kinda just adds to the challenge. I wish I'd bookmarked the link.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #292 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:59 »

At a training day at work recently I found a 3D version of Tetris. It's a little badly designed but it kinda just adds to the challenge. I wish I'd bookmarked the link.

Sounds like it'd be a little like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrisphere

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #293 on: 09 Feb 2015, 08:16 »

As I mentioned in a thread of the non-euclidean persuasion, I decided to play thru NFS Carbon with Exotics (after having done so with Muscles and Tuners). The disrespect to the Exotics boss was pretty much on the range of "savage" when I used his own Aston Martin to beat him down a canyon for the second time (this time he was driving a Lamborghini Murcielago).

I'm seriously considering the need to use the Carrera GT anymore. Which is weird because I did have to use the Viper and the Lancer Evo VIII on my earlier playthroughs.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #294 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:17 »

I considered Sunless Sea.  Went with Gravity Ghost instead.

Upside is Logan Cunningham appearance.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #295 on: 12 Feb 2015, 17:51 »

Thanks to a very timely humble weekly bundle, the plan is to spend this weekend taking out my frustrations on Elodie's subjects in Long Live the Queen.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #296 on: 18 Feb 2015, 14:53 »

> Still playing borderlands 2.

There was an irresponsible amount of rocketing this afternoon on certain crater on Pandora. Turns out you can finish the second campaign DLC in under 3 hours even at OP8.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #297 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:12 »

I finally got around to starting "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" after owning it for over a year.  Not a bad game.  I like a game that gives you the option to be super stealthy OR all combat-tastic if you so choose.

Having to hold a button to stay in cover reminds me of Time Crisis though. :P

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #298 on: 20 Feb 2015, 16:38 »

Diablo III.

It's awesome.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #299 on: 21 Feb 2015, 11:04 »

Another game I've been playing lately is Sonic and Sega AllStars Racing. Goddammit Amigo is so fucking overpowered on that one. You can just keep chaining boosts forever. I have like 16 staff ghosts beaten already.

Only weak point on Amigo's maraca (which really looks like a Sriracha bottle more than a maraca) is that it lacks all type of non-boosted max speed, making it a not-so-optimal choice on tracks that have long straights. Pure straights, if there are loops you can just go F-Zero Speedrun and slide through it to get MOAR BOOST. And if it's a very long, wide turn (like on Seaside Hill 3) you can just countersteer through it to get MOAR BOOST. Which is seriously helped by the fact that it has the fastest charging boost bar none. Might not be the most powerful, but you really don't need it to be powerful when it loads superfast and you're effectively getting two boosts for each boost any other car gets.

Case in point, it's the only car that even gets boost on the start of Rokkaku Hill, and a level 2 isn't even hard to get on that very first turn. It also has the highest values on both acceleration and handling, making it almost immune to item hits (I've only lost one race with it and I boosted out of the track in the last turn) and able to plow through every corner in the game at full blast (except the hard hairpins of Super Monkey Ball 3, which require a slight let-off to make it through).

Surprisingly enough, it's only the very first track in the game where I needed to use Sonic's theoretically super-overpowered vehicle to do the staff ghost, and part of the reason why is because it's almost completely straight.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Up