THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 13:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 353605 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #550 on: 17 Nov 2015, 15:42 »

Fallout 4: Livestock Edition

"Okay but seriously who's brahmin are these?"

"I mean I have a brahmin pen, in another settlement; this is a glorified alleyway."

"But HOW did that brahmin get on the roof?"

"Oh hey, there are a bunch of brahmin corpses here."
"Oh?"
"Yeah. Floating six feet off the ground."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #551 on: 18 Nov 2015, 01:59 »

hahaha. To true.

I've been playing Fallout 4. I'm actually surprised. I expected a good, if buggy game. But I was keeping my hype-train on low power. I know what happens when you expect to much. Then even a good game seems like a disappointment to the Second Coming  you were expecting. Even so, Fallout 4 has impressed me so far. The writing is a bit... Bethesda. Okay, but nothing new under the sun here. Faces and animations can be pretty wonky at times. I'm looking at you Mama Murphy. And the feral ghouls. But I'm super enjoying the game. I can never wait to play more.

I've always found that Bethesda can create fantastic worlds to explore and adventure in, but their stories are always a bit "meh".

On the one hand, the fact that 4's story is an inversion of 3's, with the Sole Survivor searching for their child, is certainly an interesting take but at the same time it kind of feels like lazy storytelling.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #552 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:44 »

The thing of it is, I think there's some fantastic potential in the story of someone thoroughly out of time, trying to adapt and find their missing child. But because this is an open world RPG, all of that is just thrown into the backseat while you murder and loot your way across the land to build your own personal Junktown. There is just no urgency to the main quest, as usual. And there should be. Instead you get constantly side tracked by helping out other people and poking through interesting ruins. You could say that such is the nature of open world games. But the original Fallout did give you a sense of urgency, so that you wanted to spend your time tracking down the water chip. Side quests were often obstacles to the main quest. "Yeah I can help you, but only if you help me first" situations.

But that's really what Bethesda does, and I expected no less. They give you an awesome world to explore, populate it with interesting stuff and people and then almost as an after thought say "Oh, and there's this story line. You know, if you want to follow it. No hurry though, it'll be here for you whenever."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #553 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:03 »

There is just no urgency to the main quest, as usual. And there should be. Instead you get constantly side tracked by helping out other people and poking through interesting ruins. You could say that such is the nature of open world games. But the original Fallout did give you a sense of urgency, so that you wanted to spend your time tracking down the water chip. Side quests were often obstacles to the main quest.

Aaaand you've hit the nail on the head. Bethesda open world games don't have that urgency to get you into the story.

Morrowind - Hey, this mystical gateway and wall we have to contain this horrific virus is breaking down and oh hey, the local apocalypse is starting. But hey, that's okay, you just go explore that Kwama mine and do some quests for the guilds. The apocalypse can wait.
Oblivion - Hey, the Emperor is dead and one of the Daedric Princes wants to fuse our world with his realm, go find the Emperor's lost son. Oh, you want to go and take apart the Black Forest company and get some nice loot? Mehrunes Dagon can wait.
Skyrim - The country is tearing itself apart in a horrific civil war and Alduin the world eater has returned and starting bringing the dragons back to life to bring about the end times. Aww look, you're filling your home with cheese wheels. Now that's great!

There is nothing to force you onto the story, it always felt like you did the story after you did everything else, which kinda sucked when you thought about it. The original Fallout gave you a time limit to get the story done with real consequences for not doing so.

Ultimately, Bethesda certainly do create amazing worlds and can do potentially great stories, they just don't live up to that potential.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #554 on: 21 Nov 2015, 20:42 »

I played through The Wolf Among Us a few days ago, and I loved it. Personally, I liked it a lot better than The Walking Dead, mostly because I found the setting  and the more mature tone more compelling, but also because it didn't have so obvious "WHICH OF THESE TWO CHARACTERS DO YOU WANT TO HATE YOU/DIE?" choices..

Here characters actually reacted rationally when you didn't choose "their" option.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2015, 10:08 by Edguy »
I dunno..

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #555 on: 23 Nov 2015, 08:46 »

Clocktower 3 on PS2. Played it a little ten years ago or so and Partner bought me a copy! So I've been playing it with him watching and it actually makes me scream out loud. I haven't finished it yet but it still feels short. The maps are quite small and there's not much in them. It's by Capcom and has some of the same sound effects as Resident Evil games and plays very like an RE game but you can only run and hide for the most part, it's still a really interesting mechanic.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #557 on: 23 Nov 2015, 12:01 »

When I finish it I'm going to look up info on it because I'm positive some of the body language animation doesn't match the dialogue and I'm guessing it got cleaned up a bit. Most notably the scene when Dennis is introduced.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #558 on: 23 Nov 2015, 23:25 »

Oh God, don't remind me.

Especially after the hellishness of the first couple levels, that just felt weiiiird.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #559 on: 08 Dec 2015, 09:51 »

The Humble Codemasters bundle happened and that meant that I got myself the entire GRiD series. So I'm playing Autosport (the last one, since the other two I had played in some way or another).

Apparently there aren't 100 people in this world who are faster in that game than I am. Feels kinda great. Also makes that one time I finished 7th on the qualifying round complete and utter bullshit.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #560 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:01 »

Been playing Mordheim for the past week, despite the fact that I had early access since last year.

Fun game, but it can be unforgiving at times. The first three warbands I started all suffered horrific injuries in their first couple of games - fighters losing eyes, archers losing arms, my leader dying, in two different games!

But once you get into it, its a great game, definitely rewards careful positioning and tactics.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #561 on: 08 Dec 2015, 15:58 »

So they actually have warbands implemented now? The last I played it was just one off games with maxed out warbands. Fun to just play, but I always loved the campaign rules and building up my group in Mordheim.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #562 on: 09 Dec 2015, 04:19 »

Yeah, they have the Sisters of Sigmar, the Reikland Mercenaries, the Skaven and the Possessed. (Still hoping for a dlc introducing Witch Hunters or Carnival of Nurgle)

Campaign mode now has you picking your faction, and getting your leader for free. You then start off with around 200gc to build up your starting warband. Though be warned, at the start you're only going to have slots for your Leader, a second hero and three henchmen. Once your warband starts gaining ranks, you'll open more slots, I think I'm rank 4 and I have an extra two henchmen and a third hero. That said, buy a couple of reserved henchmen at the start because you might pick up injuries.

And I know that 200gc doesn't seem that much at the start, but you can loot enemies you've knocked out (its how I got all the heavy armour for my warriors), so you can save money that way. And one of my marksmen picked up a hunting rifle in the first ever box he searched.

Also, depending on your warband, get your archers hard hitting melee weapons, they will need them!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #563 on: 09 Dec 2015, 07:05 »

Cool. I'll have to load the game up and give it a try again if I can ever pull myself out of Fallout 4. I enjoyed playing it before. But without any kind of campaign system I just didn't feel like there was the real meat to it.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #564 on: 09 Dec 2015, 08:00 »

CSM has recently got me playing Trails in the Sky chapter 1. It's a very good game but I really wish it had relationship options. Ever since Mass Effect I become disappointed if an RPG doesn't let me play a heroic lesbian badass.
Super-villain in training.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #565 on: 10 Dec 2015, 15:23 »

Just started fallout 4. Last night. Yeah.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #567 on: 17 Dec 2015, 01:51 »

I actually watched some Bayo because one of the streamers I follow decided to make a Bayo stream after that announcement and I learned it actually released for X360 (I thought it was only PS3 and Wii/WiiU). It's 20 bucks. Should I? I think I should. I definitely should.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #568 on: 17 Dec 2015, 07:48 »

You should. Unless you absolutely hate that style of game, you should.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #569 on: 17 Dec 2015, 08:02 »

I borrowed it from a friend following the announcement and FUCK THAT GAME WHY IS IT SO FRIGGIN DIFFICULT

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #570 on: 20 Dec 2015, 18:10 »

I mentioned on some other thread that a very lovely person gave me GTA V for X360 back in my birthday 2 months ago. I finally finished the story today. Overall it's great, lots of stuff to do even if you've finished the game and many side jobs.

There's a post-ending secondary mission that just the starting cutscene is fucking hilarious too.
(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #571 on: 25 Dec 2015, 00:55 »

Going to throw this one to the panel: what is your favourite Star Wars single player campaign PC game?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #572 on: 25 Dec 2015, 08:42 »

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

KotOR is also great.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #573 on: 25 Dec 2015, 12:39 »

The Long Dark.

so far I've survived 4 days.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #574 on: 25 Dec 2015, 17:16 »

Going to throw this one to the panel: what is your favourite Star Wars single player campaign PC game?
I'm gonna throw a curveball and say that the Rise of the Empire campaign from Star Wars Battlefront II was the best. Either that or Republic Commando (even though they were both optional co-op)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #575 on: 26 Dec 2015, 17:09 »

Jedi Outcast was one of my absolute favourite games. kotor 2, on the other hand, I could not get into at all.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #576 on: 28 Dec 2015, 17:28 »

KOTOR 2 is one of those games that you really have to use the unofficial patches for.

That might not fix your experience with it, but the retail game was a broken mess, with whole swathes of coding hastily turned off at launch. Fan/etc. work helped smooth some of that out, and bring a certain amount of experience and resolution to the dropped pieces.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #577 on: 30 Dec 2015, 18:26 »

Funnily enough, I've restarted the Old Republic last week. And oh my god the 12x XP is ridiculous, I hit the level cap with my Trooper in less than a week (and I'm still on . Even when I was playing post-Cata WoW, I took me a couple of weeks to get to 60. Now, I'm breezing through the story missions for the Jedi Knight and Bounty Hunter.

Currently on the Progenitor RP server if anyone is interested.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #578 on: 30 Dec 2015, 19:15 »

Gave the Fable: Legends beta a try and...it's okay. I'd rather have another straight up Fable game, but this is still kind of fun

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #579 on: 31 Dec 2015, 07:08 »

I'd rather have another straight up Fable game..

Please god no..
I dunno..

TheEvilDog

« Reply #580 on: 03 Jan 2016, 20:05 »

Just finished Alpha Polaris after I bought it a few hours ago. Its a short click and point horror game set in an Arctic outpost for an oil company. its by a Finnish game company, with a Norwegian student as the protagonist.

i'm going to be honest, I bought it in the Steam sale. If it had been full price, I wouldn't have gotten it, but for what it's worth, you get a few hours enjoyment as well as some puzzles that can be a little challenging. Its not a bad game, but really pick it up in the sales.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #581 on: 03 Jan 2016, 21:37 »

Undertale, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1, The Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition and some other games I need to finish

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #582 on: 05 Jan 2016, 19:22 »

I've been playing some DiRT 3 time trial over the holidays, mostly on the Smelter Head2Head tracks. Managed to snag one record (not counting cheaters) on Dredger Duel with 1980s Group A vehicles (ie Renault 5 turbo).

Seriously. I can finally proudly say that I was once good at vidgame.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #583 on: 14 Jan 2016, 19:06 »

Well I had to set it to goddamned easy, but I finally made a 'win' ending in Out There.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #584 on: 16 Jan 2016, 13:06 »

Jedi Outcast was one of my absolute favourite games. kotor 2, on the other hand, I could not get into at all.

YESYESYESYES!!! One of the few games where swordplay felt remotely realistic.

Anybody know any other games that feature "good" swashbuckling?  Gothic 2 is the best in that regard, IMO, and Witcher 3 isn't half bad.

In other news:
1) Anybody interested in Elite Dangerous? I've been playing for half a year now, and I still "love & loathe" it. The flight-model is weird, but very, very good - kind of a "Battlestar-Galactica" semi-realistic flightmodel (there's a top speed, so ...), where you can use "flight assist" or not.
Without flight assist, you have "inertia" about 6 axis - so Newton's first will make you drift along three dimensions, and you also have angular mass, so you'll have to counteract a previous pitch-input with an equal, but opposite input to make you stop pitching.
With flight assist, the fly-by-wire system will try to align your direction of movement with the direction your craft is pointing at. It also stops rotation once you center your flightstick. The nice thing is that with a little practice, it's almost like "drift-racing in space".

I'd definitely recommend an analog stick, though. There are some peeps that use keyboard & mouse to good effect, but ... it's not the same. Personally, I use a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS (50€) - and there's quite a few people who use two cheap analog sticks.
If you're unsure, the community is really helpful and DIY-crazy in that regard - Some regulars have even made their own DIY IR-Tracker for 10€ and are selling self-assembly kits.

The community is generally rather mature, due to all the Daddy-gamers that played the original Elite in the eighties, and mostly very friendly and helpful. There are some griefers, but that's mostly a concern during combat-oriented community goals. There's even an anti-griefer Clan (Adle's Armada) that patrols newbie-spawning systems.

2) Has anybody played the new Snake Plisgen Metal Gear Solid? Is it any good?
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2016, 15:45 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #585 on: 16 Jan 2016, 15:56 »

I was watching a bunch of Elite Dangerous videos and really interested in the game a few months back. Normally I can't play flight or driving sims because of motion sickness, but there was never a problem watching those videos. I was kind of waiting for the expansion to come out that would allow planetary landing, since they were saying they were going to sell it to new players for the same price as the base game, with the base game included while those who already owned the game would have to pay extra for the expansion. Which was.. kind of not okay in my book to screw over your existing playerbase like that. And it de-incentivized me to buy the game then, when I could wait a few months and save money. Then Fallout 4 came out and well.. I haven't been paying attention to to other games.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #586 on: 16 Jan 2016, 18:56 »

If you're talking about Metal Gear Solid 5, I'll say that it's exactly the kind of game that sucks *me* in.

That said, it's very Kojima. Yeah, that's how I'll put it.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #587 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:10 »

Started playing Terraria... I have no idea what the plot is or what the goals are.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #588 on: 17 Jan 2016, 12:10 »

There sort of isn't.

In other words, beat FTL for the first time today.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #589 on: 17 Jan 2016, 15:41 »

I've only played two; KotOR and KotOR2. I enjoyed both very much, though I played them as a gunslinger because lightsabers are stupid*. I think KotOR2 is the better game, but only if you apply the restored-content patches. Out of the box, KotOR is better.

*In the games, lightsabers also look like glowing wiffle-bats. If the combat had been more like Jade Empire, with body-parts flying off left and right, lightsaber action might have been more appealing.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #590 on: 17 Jan 2016, 15:58 »

Finished the main story of Lego Batman 3, now to collect everything!!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #591 on: 17 Jan 2016, 16:05 »

Started playing Terraria... I have no idea what the plot is or what the goals are.

Building, making better stuff, killing bosses. Kind of like Minecraft, but 2 D and more monster fighting/adventuring.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #592 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:06 »

Seeing as we've had a long weekend (thanks to some annual leave on Monday, and thanks but no thanks to getting some kind of stomach bug forcing me to stay home regardless of what plans I might have had), I finally got into The Talos Principle. Nothing like a bit of puzzle sovling mixed into your philosophical musing. Immersive and enjoyable. Most fun I've had since Portal 2.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #593 on: 26 Jan 2016, 15:45 »

I haven't played it yet, but I'll give anything Jonas Kyratzes had a hand in a try.

He's a little wanky sometimes, but I like his stuff, and have always been surprised that his name recognition seems so low even after TP. Then again, I think the same thing of Jay Pinkerton and Portal 2.

hazlett

• Plantmonster
    • webdesign London
« Reply #594 on: 27 Jan 2016, 02:58 »

I don't play games for months. The last time I play was Enigmatis.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #595 on: 27 Jan 2016, 07:47 »

*gasps, recoils in horror*

Not play games.. For MONTHS? Oh the humanity!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #596 on: 27 Jan 2016, 08:18 »

Fun fact: In a TM group chat this morning, one of the members (and the Level Designer for the whole TM2 and TMT campaigns) said that half the people in the studio weren't interested in playing games.

This all gradually evolved into an ice cold remark about cheap prototypes being marketed as full products but that's not here nor there.

On topic, as of late I've been playing the good old Race Driver GRiD (the first grid game) for 100% completion. Stopped when I got to the part where there's a single make 6 lap race in Okutama Sprint, which might be the one racetrack in gaming that's less interesting and technical than a fucking oval course.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #597 on: 27 Jan 2016, 18:57 »

Since coming into possession of the Handsome Collection, I've sunk my teeth back into Borderlands 2. God the graphics are so much better now. I missed this game.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #598 on: 27 Jan 2016, 22:15 »

I almost bought GRID, but most of the time I just can't racing game.

I sit there all 'car go fast car go fast woooosh!' but then I'm going the wrong way into a fence. It's fun for a bit, but...

In other news, I ran Typing of the Dead: Overkill tonight. I'm....mixed, though I don't regret the purchase.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #599 on: 28 Jan 2016, 05:48 »

I picked up Rocket League, since it was on Steam sale this week. It's soccer with rocket powered, gravity defying RC cars basically. Normally I find sports games boring and the game play is still just 'put ball in goal, repeat'. But the playing the game with cars is a nice twist, and 5 minute or so matches are right on the sweet spot between 'wish I had some more' and 'when will this end?'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Up