THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 339765 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1050 on: 20 Mar 2018, 05:47 »

I'd say be proud. Also pleased. It sounds like it's a real difficulty curve. Nobody wants a sheer, unsurmountable steel wall for a difficulty curve (except the lunatics who play the various Souls games, or Getting Over it, but those freaks are just ridiculous).

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1051 on: 20 Mar 2018, 10:27 »

Souls freak here. I've played Dark Souls 3 to death and I can name dozens of games objectively more difficult than it. Getting Over It is one of them, but Dead Cells is probably about on par.

The thing is, the difficulty curve is pretty much a sheer steel wall that you have two ways of overcoming. You can walk around it, i.e. ignore all the enemies and run straight through the level, or build a staircase out of equipment upgrades that give you additional attack power and damage resistance, which takes a long time and is kinda boring. Previously, I did the bravely-running-away thing because it's simply the most effective way of succeeding: engaging enemies is a risk of losing health and a chance to gain blue cells and gold, both of which are rather useless to your immediate success, so it's better to not take the risk. Then I got to the final boss and found that he wasn't that much more difficult than before, even though all the other enemies were much more effective at killing me.

Then I went another difficulty level up and this is where it gets truly ridiculous. Running away is too good a strategy so they countered that by making it the only strategy. Now there are multiple enemies that can shoot through walls stuffed throughout the initial level and they each do enough damage to one-shot you. You cannot stand still for more than a second or you'll get shot and die. You cannot stop and engage an enemy or you'll get shot and die. You can pause just long enough to loot items but that's it.

This is not the kind of difficulty I enjoy. It's serial escalation: just add more enemies that do more damage and require more hits to kill while you're forced to keep up with the arms race by grinding more and more upgrade points. I prefer it when games take something away to make it more difficult, and to be fair, Dead Cells does: you get fewer opportunities to replenish your health in higher difficulties. But then they combine that with the ridiculously hard-hitting enemies and it just shoots way too far in the other direction. Even the progression through a single game has elements of that: you're encouraged to seek out upgrade scrolls that increase your health and damage, the more the better. But at no point does the game offer fewer of these; you just get more ways to get higher stats.

One of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much is the opportunities it gives you for negative challenges. Like, I can defeat this boss if I summon help, but could I do it alone? Or on a much lower level than normal? Or with unconventional weaponry? There isn't really room for customisation like that in Dead Cells, because you're at the mercy of the random weapons the game gives you (and there's no way to shrink the pool) and the upgrade system means you're expected to become substantially more powerful before you even have a chance of killing the final boss. It feels like the game's incentives are all wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, the game is still very good, just structured in a way that isn't how I like. I do this a lot: play a game to death until I can peel away every layer of game mechanics and identify how it could be better. That I'm motivated to do this for Dead Cells at all instead of just deciding it isn't for me is a testament to how solid the basic gameplay loop is.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #1052 on: 21 Mar 2018, 07:51 »

That is a very detailed and concise description of how it feels to play that game. It's much more useful information than what a lot of people would post in a game review, which is usually about the cosmetics of the experience. It has definitely influenced my decision on whether or not to buy ([NOT], by the way. I'm more for Survival Sandbox games lately).

I think it would be a good idea to put that as a Steam review if you haven't made one already.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1053 on: 21 Mar 2018, 08:53 »

Well, you know, Early Access, product not final, YMMV, etc. Steam reviews are a bit 'shouting into the void' so I don't usually bother with them unless there aren't very many of them or I'm trying to spotlight a game for people on my friends list. Plus, I have Dead Cells on GOG which makes the potential review audience even smaller.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

NovemberX

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1054 on: 21 Mar 2018, 17:23 »

Been re-playing Fallout 4 lately, this time emphasizing building settlements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1055 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:42 »

Playing HoI4 again. Trying to win WW2 in 1936 as France is tooough.  :cry:

Its the ultimate puzzle for me.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1056 on: 22 Mar 2018, 16:03 »

Played through Bayonetta 2 and then started NieR:Automata. I can't help comparing the latter to the former despite being only similar in the base mechanics of the combat system - Bayonetta being a spectacled affair of slashing through angels and demons while NieR is an ARPG for the most part.

Also I've been told that NieR:Automata will make me highly depressed so there's that to expect.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1057 on: 23 Mar 2018, 09:51 »

I am so glad that Subnautica has been fully released. I envy anyone who gets to play it blind because there are so many bits and pieces of the game that I've seeen built from scratch, but finally getting to FINISH the game after all this time? It feels SO GOOD. Literal tears.

Also, it's one of those great games that has scary bits in it even though it's not inherently a scary game. To me, scary bits in an otherwise NON-horror game are SO MUCH SCARIER than scary bits in a horror game. It's like, what's scarier? The zombie dogs in R.E., or the Wallmasters in Legend of Zelda? One you kinda expect, the other just comes out of nowhere the first time you see it.

Oh you Hellspawn, why did I listen to youARGHBLARGHURGHLLLLLLLH!!!

Bought it yesternight @0:00, played 3-4hours straight, now again 2-3hours, decided to take break because my butt and back are hurting something fierce and first thing do after shutting it down is googling "subnautica, where to place my first base?"  :-\
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1058 on: 23 Mar 2018, 18:32 »

Holy shitsnacks! Doki Doki Litature Club was amazing!  I saw a bit of references for it on imgur, saw it on steam (its free) but I am not into anime visual novels so never took much interest in it until my favorite youtubers (Jesse Cox and Dodger) played it together.  Just wow.  Its a psychological horror game with the facade of being a harem anime visual novel game.  It can be very disturbing.  It kind of scared/fucked up my wife after watching it.  I on the other hand just loved the concept and amazed at the execution.

Be aware though, there is a lot of disturbing images relating to self harm in the game.  :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1059 on: 13 Apr 2018, 18:00 »

Anyone else play Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock?

I picked it up on Steam a few days ago.  It has a decent campaign so far (its colonial fleet campaign only). I really like the turn based approach to fleet management.  Real time (like Battlefleet Gothic: Armada) can be a bit much to manage at times when there is so much happening on screen.  The story takes place during the first cylon war and you are the commander.  You will have to play politics with the colonies, try not to upset Admiral Cain, while also fighting off the cylon armada. It can be pretty brutal at times (I picked up the DLC which grants more ships but it gives the cylons an anti fighter gunboat that murders my OP viper IIs) as your fleets try to squeak by and protect everyone.

My only real complaint, and I guess it is a conceptional one, is that there doesn't seem to be any torpedo/bomber class of fighter which means you pretty much only have vipers and the occasional raptor.  I guess I am spoiled as they do exist in other sci-fi WW2 carrier style fleets like in Star Wars or Wing Commander.  Don't get me wrong, the Vipers are great but it I feel like having a dedicated anti-ship fighter just makes sense. Perhaps it didn't exist in the show so they didn't bother, but it would have added to the game play with fighter/bomber management (protecting bombers, intercepting enemy bombers, etc).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1060 on: 21 Apr 2018, 21:26 »

Ugh, still rolling the boulder up the hill in HoI4 by trying to get France to beat Germany in 1936 only for it to roll back down and have to start again.  I can form the Little Entente sure, but after the war they wont let me take all the German lands (needed for an achievement).  Whats worse is the newest DLC not only gives the French Communist rebels more lands and takes more troops away from you, but also constantly throws bullshit political issues like draft dodgers, army mutinies, factory strikes, etc, that just kill your manpower, organization, or military production.  It also doesn't help that your military machine is short 20k guns at the beginning of a two front war (fighting the Germans along the Maginot and the French Commune in Brittany).  I can form the Entente but not call them in the war which will make Germany pull troops off the line to cover a potential Czech invasion but by then, If I didn't grab and hold enough German territory to increase my factory count, then I might as well call them in. See second sentence above!

This DLC just made it tougher.  Especially since the French Commune rebels are well stocked with weapons as soon as they spawn! MERDE!  :psyduck:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1061 on: 25 Apr 2018, 11:15 »

I played the Detroit Become Human demo and holy shit. I wasn't really following this game but my brother recommended the demo and it felt so big and intense. I dunno if the full game could maintain the same feeling throughout but based on the demo, the interface is a lot smoother than Heavy Rain and it looks amazing.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1062 on: 26 Apr 2018, 06:40 »

Ugh, still rolling the boulder up the hill in HoI4 by trying to get France to beat Germany in 1936 only for it to roll back down and have to start again.  I can form the Little Entente sure, but after the war they wont let me take all the German lands (needed for an achievement). 
[...]
I can form the Entente but not call them in the war which will make Germany pull troops off the line to cover a potential Czech invasion but by then, If I didn't grab and hold enough German territory to increase my factory count, then I might as well call them in. See second sentence above!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Wacht_am_Rhein

:angel:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1063 on: 29 Apr 2018, 00:36 »

Warframe receded, for now. Overwatch continues. Taking more videos.

JYDGE is pretty good.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1064 on: 29 Apr 2018, 04:32 »

You think so? I played a few missions and it didn't really click with me. I'm not averse to score-chasing but when the earliest missions introduce a mechanic you can't unlock until far further into the game, and your continued progress requires you to replay missions you've already done but harder, it doesn't sit right with me.

I'm playing a lot of Gwent because they have a limited time challenge going and I'm a sucker for that, even though I find that I don't have nearly as much fun with it as other card games. They announced a complete overhaul of the game's systems which I'm optimistic about, but that's gonna take six months so I'll probably drop the game until then. But first I need those 50 wins.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1065 on: 29 Apr 2018, 09:48 »

It's a game that boots up with hilariously low loading time, relatively simple mechanics, a decent cohesion of aesthetics to support its concept, quick matches with easy gameplay exit points, and the way they implemented difficulty changes the levels (and encourages trying other toys you've unlocked with the challenges) enough that I'm fairly for it, yeah. It's not a deep experience, and I haven't unlocked the last couple levels yet, but apparently I sometimes want a very competently crafted and designed popcorn game that lets me snarl "Y YM THY LYW"

Trebane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1066 on: 02 May 2018, 02:46 »

I've been playing Slay the Spire too much, VERY addicting game.

I just got KOTOR 2 on steam , I played through one back in university but never got to play the sequel , goodbye bank holiday weekend.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1067 on: 02 May 2018, 11:01 »

2 is to be enjoyed!

um.

you may have to get some unofficial patches, though, if you aren't already aware. Game's a bit notorious for being unfinished when launched, with cut/unfinished content hidden away in the files from where they ran out of time.

Trebane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1068 on: 03 May 2018, 00:24 »

I was not aware thanks for letting me know.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1069 on: 03 May 2018, 02:15 »

You can totally play without it! just uh. well,  you'll see. there's a game with an ending there. just... look you do what you need to do. i don't want to spoil things. maybe even consider playing it 'as is' the first time. i dunno.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1070 on: 01 Jun 2018, 11:51 »

Cultist Simulator just came out, and it's pretty good so far.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1071 on: 03 Jun 2018, 12:44 »

I tried the Hunting Simulator cause it was free and I did not like it. It was like GTA without anything that makes it GTA. I don't even know why I was so interested in trying it in the first place

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1072 on: 03 Jun 2018, 13:09 »

sometimes one gets a fever for something. sorry it didn't work out, sport hunting games can be fun! Or they can really, really not be.

Mimecon

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1073 on: 21 Jun 2018, 07:37 »

PUBG
or the best way to get sony playstation 4 is to visit drakemall.com

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1074 on: 22 Jun 2018, 00:45 »

After owning it for many years, and never playing it because I got Oblivion first...

I finally installed Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (GotY edition)
I'm sure, in its day, it was pretty damned groovy...

But it seems really clunky after how (relatively) smooth Oblivion was, especially the combat.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1075 on: 22 Jun 2018, 01:48 »

To be fair, Morrowind is nearly 16 years old. Its engine isn't really up to much any more, especially because since Morrowind's release, we've had Oblivion and Skyrim. Even with mods, its hard to get Morrowind to a point where it can compete against the more recent entries.

However, I did like Morrowind, a lot. Which is why I'm still excited about Skywind, which is seeking to recreate Morrowind using the Skyrim engine. Technically its a mod, but a mod the size of a full game.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1076 on: 22 Jun 2018, 02:47 »

To be fair, Morrowind is nearly 16 years old. Its engine isn't really up to much any more, especially because since Morrowind's release, we've had Oblivion and Skyrim. Even with mods, its hard to get Morrowind to a point where it can compete against the more recent entries.

However, I did like Morrowind, a lot. Which is why I'm still excited about Skywind, which is seeking to recreate Morrowind using the Skyrim engine. Technically its a mod, but a mod the size of a full game.

Yeah,
I do wish I had installed it when I first got it, but I came to it late and Oblivion was out within months of me getting it!
I've heard of Skywind, (And Morroblivion!) but haven't looked into mods too much (I do have Oblivion for the PC but I generally XBOX1 stuff...

Gonna drag myself through Morrowind though, if not just to be able to say I did! :)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1077 on: 02 Jul 2018, 01:38 »

Dunno where I saw it, but someone of my acquaintance, somewhere, mentioned Doki-Doki Literature Club to me.
Being naturally curious, I had a look.

And ended up running through the whole thing until 04:45...
(Maybe the best time to play it actually!)

It has its flaws, but for what it is, certainly an atmospheric 'game'.

Covenant

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1078 on: 02 Jul 2018, 06:45 »

Started playing Vampyr from DONTNOD. People say the story is good, but I'm having trouble getting into it cause the fight mechanics are so clunky

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1079 on: 02 Jul 2018, 07:44 »

Dunno where I saw it, but someone of my acquaintance, somewhere, mentioned Doki-Doki Literature Club to me.

I didn't find it unnerving but my wife found it utterly disturbing.
(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1080 on: 02 Jul 2018, 08:32 »

Been playing Bio Inc Redemption. Its fun, kinda like the old Pandemic game from years back, only now instead of the planet, you can either save or kill a patient by treating their illness or by infecting them with new symptoms.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1081 on: 02 Jul 2018, 10:30 »

I am apparently in the minority that hated it. I suffered through all that anime bullshit to find out what the point of the game was, and then, surprise! Horrible things happen for no reason! And we're so meta, you can mess with the file system and affect the game! Oh, but not too much, we're only railroading you into making exactly the changes we want. What a waste of time.

Anyway, I've been playing last year's Prey, or to give it a more apt name, NeuroShock. It's a masterfully made immersive sim that does almost everything right. I've been having a blast just exploring the space station and trying to get into places I'm not 'supposed' to, using tools and skills in unorthodox ways, all of which the game is wonderfully receptive to. I would have been satisfied had the game just been that, but the story is very captivating as well, the narrative and gameplay are very well meshed, and the protagonist's motivations very closely mirror the player's. It starts with the same old amnesia story but your character is important and has a history, which makes them much more interesting than the usual blank slate outsider protagonist. I think Prey will be remembered as fondly as System Shock is now, in due time.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1082 on: 02 Jul 2018, 13:38 »

My free time for computer gaming is fairly limited lately... But I have taken up the table top habit, playing 5e D&D twice a week with my room mate's group. It feels good to break out the dice again. But now I'm starting to get the itch to DM myself....

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1083 on: 02 Jul 2018, 15:30 »

The last time I got the urge to DM a game, I spent over three years making maps and writing hundreds of pages of lore and mechanics (within D&D 2nd ed), and was never able to get a regular group together.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1084 on: 02 Jul 2018, 16:38 »

Hehe...  Yeah, I'm in world designing mode at the moment. I don't know when or who I would run a campaign for. My room mate has 2 campaigns going because she's crazy. I don't know if we could squeeze a third campaign in. Though we are apparently approaching the conclusion of the long running plot in the Thursday game, so I don't know if it'll be continuing after that. The only thing I worry about is my style is pretty narrative. So I really need people who commit to the game and will show up regularly. But with this group people are dropping in and out all the time. There is about half that's there every week. And another half that is there as work and life permits. So whoever runs has to account for the party size fluctuating from week to week. I'm kind of tempted to try and find a group on Roll20 or something. Though I still have a fair bit of world building yet before it's in a real state for play. I need to at least get major people, places and events defined and on paper... or document.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1085 on: 02 Jul 2018, 16:58 »

I was going to GM a campaign using Mutants and Masterminds, until the group imploded.
So even though there's no campaign, its still quite relaxing to do that worldbuilding. Fun too.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1086 on: 02 Jul 2018, 17:44 »

Neko, my old[1] gaming group had one main DM,[2] but others in the group sometimes ran their own.  There were some players that I was to anxious to try to run my homebrew with which is why I tried and failed to run with others.  I had originally envisioned a main campaign area as consisting of expies of essentially Europe, North Africa, and the Mid East, basically because it'd take too much time to build cultures based further east, south, or west.  My latest idea for a world would be a tidally locked planet[3] where all civilisation (known to all players save *some* dwarves) is in the "twilight band", so I could just use stuff I've already written to fill that area, and then just rip off "Darksun" and "Ravenloft" for the light and dark sides respectively.  Were I to actually run a game, I'd take the "easy" route of just running Planscape AD&D 2nd ed (with some 1st ed and 2.5 in), and making shit about strange planes up on the fly.

[1] Exclusively for a while, then I split time with a Vampire LARP that I quickly became an ST on.  Both groups met on Friday and Saturday nights for different games (I think I was in 6 total) that I had to juggle between work and girlfriend obligations.

[2] Not by design, he just had his shit together more often than the others.

[3] Probably by current Pathfinder rules.  less clunky than the other systems I know, and I don't have to learn much new stuff.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1087 on: 02 Jul 2018, 18:53 »

Well, the games I'm playing in are 5e D&D. I'm liking the system quite a bit. I do still have most of my 3.5 D&D and other d20 settings, as well as Pathfinder and I just picked up Starfinder too. Also my old Hero System and Shadowrun, two of my favorite games/settings. A bunch of other, less well known games as well. I could certainly run a game for just about any setting or theme I can think of. :)

The world I'm plotting out could work for either D&D or Pathfinder, but working vaugely from 5e rules. More high magic than most settings though, plus magical powered technology, similar to Eberron. In fact, I plan to borrow liberally from the universal stuff from D&D, Eberron and a little Spelljammer. An ancient world that's been through many wars, seen empires rise and fall. The High and Dark elves have retreated to their kingdoms on the moons, leaving the lesser beings to crawl in the dirt below. Githyanki Astral Pirates strike without warning at at airships and remote outposts. The Savage Races are on the rise again, making travel outside of large caravans or airship dangerous, and threatening smaller villages and towns. Rumors of the necromantic army of Sekhaat to the South gaining numbers, leading the people of Yvaine and Krelland to worry that war will be coming soon. And in the hidden areas and old ruins the Dragon Cult plots the return of their Tyrant Queen, Tiamat. A lot of options for a plucky, upcoming group of mercenaries and adventures to earn some coin and maybe a name for themselves in the pages of history.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1088 on: 02 Jul 2018, 19:17 »

Awesome stuff!  The only game I'm involved in now is a Pathfinder game, where the cleric just decided to take a hiatus.  I'm playing the only other caster, who thankfully, is a witch so she can heal well enough to be the group's main healer, as well as performing a support role.  Unfortunately, she's young and impulsive (Wis 9), but the social and knowledge skill monkey due to having a redeemed imp with the sage archetype as a familiar.  Right now, we're fighting some nasties (the last game had to break up at midnight at the end of one round), and I'm stuck doing all the "magic stuff".  Thankfully, the GM ruled that using poison wasn't evil if something had a natural attack with it (like the imp), so all the baddies we left living are now paralysed for a while. 

When it comes to actually running a game, I'm way too fucking anxious to do so alone, and even if the responsibility was shared, (like a ST council), I'd fear that I'd get shouted down for doing the logical thing.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1089 on: 02 Jul 2018, 19:23 »

Getting ready to run a Star Wars campaign for the new system that I barely know. Cuz my friends are wanting to get it together, but I also kinda want to GM and I definitely don't want to play a game my brother is running again, so swooped in there and volunteered.

Though it should be fun too, even with my ulterior motives. was comparing notes with him last night about what he ran this group through before, so I know what I can and cannot steal outright from things for a campaign. wish me luck

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1090 on: 03 Jul 2018, 00:35 »

I am apparently in the minority that hated it. I suffered through all that anime bullshit to find out what the point of the game was, and then, surprise! Horrible things happen for no reason! And we're so meta, you can mess with the file system and affect the game! Oh, but not too much, we're only railroading you into making exactly the changes we want. What a waste of time.

That was really my biggest gripe about it.
How on rails it actually is.
It seemed clear to me from the first 5 mins what the 'drama' in the game was going to be, but the way it played out (albeit scripted more than by choice) was different enough for me to 'like' it.

(Reminded me somehow of the old ZX SPectrum game "ID" - great first run through, and maybe want to play it again just to see if you get the same vibe.)

But messing with the file system, pretty unique, no? :)
And I think re-plays can give differing outcomes depending on how you manage those files..??!!
Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1091 on: 03 Jul 2018, 03:52 »

Not really. Undertale did it, OneShot did it, and I know I've seen the mechanic in other games that I can't remember the name of. If a game pulls that trick on me now it better do something really impressive with it. On the second playthrough I thought "So what happens if I delete every character except Sayori?" Well, the game just puts them back. It had its chance to impress me there, but failed miserably.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1092 on: 04 Jul 2018, 00:36 »

Not really. Undertale did it, OneShot did it...

Never heard of those.. so unique to me, anyway! :)

(And two titles to look out now!)
Covenant

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1093 on: 04 Jul 2018, 11:25 »

Undertale is apparently a game that is best played as unspoiled as possible, I hear. I've not played it myself.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #1094 on: 05 Jul 2018, 00:53 »

Undertale doesn't play with the file system, but it does get "meta". That's all I can say without spoiling it. It does a much better job throwing you for a loop than Doki Doki. Doki Doki didn't shock me because user tags on steam and content warnings give away the nature of the twist even if they don't give away the twist itself. That said, I would NOT have wanted to play it without those content warnings. When the initial twist happens, it is powerful and shocking. The big plot reveal near the end was much more... meh.

The spoiler here is real. Content warnings and all that.
(click to show/hide)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1095 on: 05 Jul 2018, 02:30 »

Undertale doesn't play with the file system, but it does get "meta". That's all I can say without spoiling it. It does a much better job throwing you for a loop than Doki Doki. Doki Doki didn't shock me because user tags on steam and content warnings give away the nature of the twist even if they don't give away the twist itself. That said, I would NOT have wanted to play it without those content warnings. When the initial twist happens, it is powerful and shocking. The big plot reveal near the end was much more... meh.

The spoiler here is real. Content warnings and all that.
(click to show/hide)

Considering Yuri: (same spoiler warnings as above!)
(click to show/hide)
Covenant

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1096 on: 08 Jul 2018, 00:01 »

So while I've been enjoying Overwatch's 8-man deathmatch mode, primarily as Doomfist, quite a bit...

lately i've been wanting something a little more single player and chill. gang, i've gotten back into Minecraft.

damnit

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1097 on: 08 Jul 2018, 00:03 »

don't get it twisted, i bought it years and years ago, long before it was sold to Microsoft. every few years I poke about it again for a bit.

but i'm no good at it, and i never get far, as these things go. I've never been to any of the other worlds, never made a grand monument, never even realized until today that pressure plates can trigger things without a redstone line (not that i ever bothered making redstone machines anyway, what few times i ever found redstone).

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1098 on: 08 Jul 2018, 00:12 »

But I have my fun. Exploring and 'taming' cave spaces with torches. meandering about whatever region is 'mine' and seeing what was generated. naming the occasional natural feature (right now there's something I've tentatively dubbed 'Mount Llama' because it's a mountain that vaguely looks like a llama from the angles I usually approach it, and has llamas living near it, and also there's a natural lavafall out of its butt). Planting and burning down copses of trees.

There's a village i never bother with nearby my little patch (named Graceland since I was humming Paul Simon's song about where I was going one night cycle as I ran away to it from the monsters), built a basic 'road' to it just because. Got an *extremely* basic subsistence wheat-growing operation. Finally got a couple cattle and sheep in a big, simple pen. made my first cake. Gotta figure out how to tame the nearby horses, llamas, chickens, pigs.

One day ought to make a more interesting home, other than a glorified hidey-hole+tunnel system (Lower Graceland). Though I do work and sleep on a precarious dirt bridge I built over a deadly chasm down below, under the river. With a few flowers planted for color. That's always fun to think about, if I dwell on it for any length of time.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1099 on: 08 Jul 2018, 12:47 »

(right now there's something I've tentatively dubbed 'Mount Llama' because it's a mountain that vaguely looks like a llama from the angles I usually approach it, and has llamas living near it, and also there's a natural lavafall out of its butt)

We require screenshots!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32   Go Up