Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 24 Sep 2018, 15:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 75057 times)

hedgie

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Can't be buggered at all
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1150 on: 09 Aug 2018, 13:30 »

Every time WoW has a new expansion, I've thought about resubbing… until now.  I could learn to deal with my holy pally stuck in melee, or having to smite as a disc priest, but screwing half the player base *again* like this is really too much.  I'm not the sort who would ever play Alliance, and if I did start up again, I'd go with the evil thing and stop ignoring alliance players who weren't in my way.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Tova

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Friendshipper
« Reply #1151 on: 09 Aug 2018, 16:13 »

Completed the Siege of Lorderon scenario.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
It's all about the jokes!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #1152 on: 09 Aug 2018, 21:52 »

Completed the Siege of Lorderon scenario.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #1153 on: 11 Aug 2018, 19:12 »

So, a new game that just came out and is freaking awesome is Dead Cells. Described as a Metroidvania Roguelike game. You travel through side scrolling beat em up style combat, collecting power ups, beating tougher and tougher enemies, unlocking secret areas and new ways to travel... Until you die. But death is not the end. You are reborn back at the start... Most of the things you gathered are gone, but there are things that you permanently unlock and keep through all your deaths. And you find that the map changes every time. How much further can you go with this life?

It is a simple game, but very smooth and responsive controls. It's enough of a rush to keep you playing, seeing how far you can push it, then trying again. It's gotten pretty great reviews so... Highly recommended.

de_la_Nae

• but will you understand
« Reply #1154 on: 12 Aug 2018, 11:43 »

Oh yeah, it's definitely on the list.

Speaking of lists, I am a fool and have started playing Dark Souls again.

not the remaster, mind you. the old "Prepare to Die" PC port that Steam doesn't sell any more
Avatar made on commission by Matt Bixler (@qwilman on Twitter). Was quite impressed with his work & turnaround time.

de_la_Nae

« Reply #1155 on: 12 Aug 2018, 11:44 »

there are a *lot* more people playing that still than you'd think, too
Avatar made on commission by Matt Bixler (@qwilman on Twitter). Was quite impressed with his work & turnaround time.

LTK

« Reply #1156 on: 12 Aug 2018, 12:50 »

I was also a fool and have been playing Dark Souls 3 again. It took a few weeks for me to remember why I stopped playing it in the first place.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

« Reply #1157 on: 17 Aug 2018, 12:59 »

Dead Cells, finally got to it.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

"OH GOD HE'S A BEYBLADE!" -Nae, 2018

LTK

« Reply #1158 on: 17 Aug 2018, 14:00 »

I know exactly which guy you mean. Pretty nonthreatening if you have a shield though.

You're gonna hate the final boss, I can say that already.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

« Reply #1159 on: 17 Aug 2018, 16:54 »

Yeah, I was running this, which made life substantially easier once I figured out what he could do.
(click to show/hide)

and yes i am certain i will hate the last boss, that i will hate every boss forever even if i win

de_la_Nae

« Reply #1160 on: 18 Aug 2018, 00:48 »

(click to show/hide)

Case

• Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1161 on: 18 Aug 2018, 00:49 »

I was also a fool and have been playing Dark Souls 3 again. It took a few weeks for me to remember why I stopped playing it in the first place.

Try "Kingdome Come Deliverance" ... (Muahahahahaha!)

No srsly, I've heard that some DS-players enjoyed it, but it's considered hard, not DS-hard, and I guess that as of yet, the world is less ... fine-grained? so there's a natural 'seen it all' cutoff atfter 200-300 hours.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"There is nothing normalizing about being hit in the head with a dildo by a little robot with orb hands." - SmilingCat

LTK

« Reply #1162 on: 18 Aug 2018, 03:52 »

I'm aware of the game, and I have no interest in playing it, but I'm confused by what you mean. Is 'hard' harder than 'DS-hard'? What about 'Nintendo-hard'?

Regardless, I didn't stop playing Dark Souls 3 because it was hard, but because it was easy. I've completed it a few dozen times now. I can beat most people in a one-on-one fight even with a substantial handicap, and I can do reasonably well in a 2v1. I stopped playing because I get so few opponents who aren't either blundering dolts or insufferable tryhards, and I'd hate myself if I became one of the latter.

The Souls games' difficulty is very front-loaded. Once you get to know the game, the difficulty largely disappears. With a bit of guidance, anyone can complete Dark Souls 3. Sure, it involves calling in a lot of help, but that's just part of the game and just as valid as soloing the thing. It remains interesting because of the variety of self-imposed challenges you can take on, but those only start getting Nintendo Hard with 'complete the entire game without dying'.

Dead Cells is the opposite. It's a challenging game, but it doesn't take long for you to unlock enough items and upgrades that you can mow down all the enemies with ease. With a bit of luck, you stand a pretty good chance at completing the game after a dozen hours... the first time around. Then, well, spoilers incoming:

(click to show/hide)

TL;DR: Dead Cells is harder than Dark Souls, in many ways. It's kind of a lazy way of making a difficult game, though, and I prefer games that don't "cheat": no leveling up, no upgrades, no unlocks, no difficulty levels. There are only a few action games that I consider properly hard here:

Teleglitch, a top-down roguelike shooter with a grungy sci-fi aesthetic. A masterpiece of creating tension, an oppressive mood, and even terror, with just a bunch of chunky pixels and bite-sized, punchy sound effects.

Thumper, a 'rhythm violence' game where you speed along a track reacting to obstacles to the beat. It's impossible to do it justice with text, and even the trailer is inadequate. If you watch a level being played you can get maybe halfway there, but to truly appreciate it, you must play it.

Receiver, a small game from an FPS jam where you shoot turrets and drones with a handgun, except the handgun is fully simulated. Have fun trying to reload when you can't remember what to press to eject the magazine, which of your other magazines still has bullets in it, and whether you've chambered a round or not.

Devil Daggers, you're on a giant stone platform floating in an endless void and an infinite number of nightmarish hellbeasts are coming to kill you. Shoot them all and try not to die.

There are surely others that qualify but these are, in my opinion, the best ones. I could write another whole post about puzzle games but I'll save that for another time.

Case

• Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1163 on: 18 Aug 2018, 07:00 »

I'm aware of the game, and I have no interest in playing it, but I'm confused by what you mean. Is 'hard' harder than 'DS-hard'? What about 'Nintendo-hard'?

Ummmh ... I thought 'DS-hard' was the pinnacle of the progression? That's how I meant it, anyhow.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"There is nothing normalizing about being hit in the head with a dildo by a little robot with orb hands." - SmilingCat

LTK

« Reply #1164 on: 18 Aug 2018, 08:01 »

Dark Souls difficulty is exaggerated often and greatly. It can be quite obtuse but if you spend 10 minutes reading a beginner's guide or introduction video (of which there are many) then you'll find the starting areas are not terribly difficult, just more so than the average action-RPG, as there are a lot of ambushes and deathtraps, but you'll learn to avoid those. The game demands patience and discretion, and rewards careful observation and exploration.

Souls games are far from Nintendo Hard because they're full of permanent progression mechanics. The only thing you have to lose by dying is the souls and humanity you carry. You'll never lose any items you pick up, your weapons and armor can be permanently upgraded, and your souls can be cashed in by leveling up. Persevering will eventually get you past every obstacle, which is an important theme in the Souls games. Completing the game is still very difficult, but not the pinnacle of difficulty by any stretch of the imagination.

de_la_Nae

« Reply #1165 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:50 »

Yes, that. I was having trouble explaining to my brother why Dark Souls kind of isn't actually that hard, for the most part. That's a more succinct way of putting it than I managed.

Pilchard123

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1166 on: 13 Sep 2018, 12:53 »

A Hat in Time has just had some DLC released. It is, apparently, free for 24 hours after launch. So... go get it, I guess?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Up