THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343324 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1200 on: 07 Feb 2019, 11:25 »

Some friends and I have been playing the RE2 remake. Its fun, certainly lives up to the nostalgia of the original and definitely ramps up the horror.

I do feel like Leon constantly seems to be on the verge of crying.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1201 on: 09 Feb 2019, 02:46 »

Apex Legends, the new battle royale game that just came out from the Titanfall developers and EA, sucks.

There is a good game there. If server stabilization can be reached, and EA stops EA-ing all over the place (improbable), it might even become a great game. And I'm not saying don't play it, I'm still gonna play it some more. But on release, it sucks.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1202 on: 09 Feb 2019, 02:51 »

Its stability sucks, its tutorial sucks, its technical achievement sucks, its ability training sucks, its opening cinematic sucks, its art design is okay but not quite where it needs to be, its map is fine, its mechanics are fine *when they work*, its movement mostly is good, it feels a little too all over the place and doesn't quite come together, but there's enough there that I *want* it to be better.

Edit: Its communication system mostly works. Not the actual 'talk into a mic' system that sucks, but its in-game contextual button-press 'ping' mostly works and thankfully sidesteps some of its other problems. Somewhat.

Edit again: credit where it's due, squad recovery mechanic is good

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1203 on: 09 Feb 2019, 16:58 »

You are the first one I've heard talk about it in less than glowing praise. To hear everyone else speak, it's the second coming of BR games. Well, I'll still give it a try... I normally don't like that style of game, but it does look interesting, and it's free to play, so nothing lost if I hate it than a little time.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1204 on: 09 Feb 2019, 19:57 »

To be fair I don't have the patience for fucking up first impressions and tutorials like I used to have, so probably doesn't help. Especially with trying that frustratingly fucked up star wars battlefront 2/4 last month

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1205 on: 10 Feb 2019, 18:13 »

Day 2 of Apex Legends.

Ahem.

I HATE THIS GAME I HATE THIS GAME I HATE THIS GAME

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1206 on: 11 Feb 2019, 06:29 »

update: there for a blessed stretch in the ass-end of the night, it worked... not 'well' but it at least didn't keep booting me back to title screen

it confirmed that, when it more-or-less works for more than ten minutes at a time, it's a fun (if heavily flawed) game. even won a match just now. but boy howdy, slowdowns are preferable to kicks, but stability is preferable to both y'know?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1207 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:11 »

A free-to-play battle royale shooter published by EA? Is there a meme that's the opposite of that pro wrestling guy getting steadily more impressed by a thing? Because that's pretty much how that combination of words makes me feel. At this point, for me to want to throw myself at a wall of other players all trying to be the best at shooting each other, there'd have to be something very compelling on offer, and I'm not seeing it. I saw it in Titanfall, but still, EA.

Anyway, I've been playing Cultist Simulator. It's an excellent game, just obtuse enough to feel like you're uncovering forbidden knowledge and just accessible enough that you're spurred on to continue. It has such narrative strength that I could tell you the stories of the three characters I've played so far, directly from memory, including their motivations, beliefs and fears as they manifested from my own exploration of the game.

With my third character, I just spent what must have been an in-game month singlemindedly piecing occult lore together, translating books from Latin, Greek, Aramaic and Sanskrit, cross-referencing and reinterpreting, until I finally learned a word that could drive someone insane on the spot if I spoke it to them. I'm almost certain something terrible will happen when I try to use it. I can't wait!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1208 on: 11 Feb 2019, 09:17 »

you forgot one, it's also a hero game, since they all have different abilities.

cultist simulator is goooooooood

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1209 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:29 »

I have been playing a bunch of Spacelords lately. It's a team hero based third person shooter with an interesting PvE/PvP set up. There are a series of missions to accomplish that put together make a campaign. Right now there are four episodes and an intro scenario. As you finish one part the next part opens. Over the lifetime of the game they introduced new campaigns and characters, with more coming. It was originally called Raiders of the Broken Planet and you bought each episode, but it struggled to find footing and enough people playing, so late last year they re-branded to Spacelords and made it free to play with a cash shop to buy skins and gold which you can earn in game to unlock things like new characters. Characters are also level locked, so you must be so big before you can unlock each new person. Which is a little annoying if you need to hit like, level 30 to play the character you really want.

What sets the game apart is the Antagonist system, turning the game from pure PVE, your team against NPCs to a 4v1 PVP setup. Players can choose to queue up as an Antagonist and try to stop the Raiders from completing their mission. It's the same characters available, but you do get assistance from the enemy NPCs and unlike the Raiders, you get unlimited respawns. Raiders get a certain number of respawns per mission, and once they have run out their shuttle goes to reload and they have to try to survive until it comes back. If all four raiders die before the shuttle returns, or if certain mission based things happen the Raiders fail. If playing a mission with an Antagonist they get more respawns, but again, the Antagonist gets unlimited spawns, so they keep coming back no matter what. They want to make the Raiders fail so they can get the antagonist rewards.

It's pretty fun, colorful and full of action. The characters and story are seriously over the top, punk/edgelord aesthetic in a very tongue in cheek way. It's not safe for work, but I love the absurdity of it and the voice actors do a good job selling it in the best gonzo B-movie fashion. Matches tend to run about 15-25 minutes in length, which I feel is pretty good. And there are enough people that wait times are kept down to a few minutes most times of day. Which I find pretty acceptable.

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2019, 13:55 by Neko_Ali »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1210 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:32 »

ShitshitShit - I'm missing the lunar New Year Sale on Steam because my stupid rig decided right now is the best time to go tits-up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Steam-app on Android? Don't want to end up getting my account hacked.

Also:I probably need 16Gb of DDR3 Ram to fix the rig - any recommendations what to look for? (brands, specs etc)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1211 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:57 »

I haven't actually bought my new RAM yet so Y'KNOW. but from what I remember from back in the day, this video seems legit

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1212 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:57 »

also VERY INTERESTING game to read about. i might have to push my squad to give it a try, Neko

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1213 on: 11 Feb 2019, 12:30 »

ShitshitShit - I'm missing the lunar New Year Sale on Steam because my stupid rig decided right now is the best time to go tits-up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Steam-app on Android? Don't want to end up getting my account hacked.

Also:I probably need 16Gb of DDR3 Ram to fix the rig - any recommendations what to look for? (brands, specs etc)

I've not tried the mobile app to purchase any games but from what I hear it's secure enough. Very insistent with its two-factor authentication, no matter which way you go. As long as you don't do it over shady public wi-fi you should be fine.

Steam sales aren't what they used to be though. Sale prices are no better than Humble or GOG on average. Whatever you want to buy, check IsThereAnyDeal.com first to see if there are any better prices, past or present. It's no tragedy if you miss it, because there will be another sale along before you can say Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 Digital Complete Set.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1214 on: 11 Feb 2019, 15:03 »

Holy crap, I just finished Leon and Claire's scenarios on Hardcore and I am never doing that again.

Some points, which I hope aren't spoilery because its a remake.
- Leon's game is very much based on being a skilled shooter. Your weapons can do damage, but you're very much dependent on hitting weakspots....like giant eyeballs.
- Conversely, Claire's game is more about finding the right weapon to do maximum damage, which actually makes it easier. Generally speaking, her grenade launcher acts as the shotgun for her campaign.
- G3 Birkin can be beaten with the knife.
- Always keep a defensive weapon on you in the labs. Seriously. Keep one on you!
- Sherry's parts of the game used to be the weakest because all you did was a couple of block puzzles and avoided zombie dogs. Now? Its genuinely the scariest part of the game.
- If you see Mr X. RUN. LIKE. HELL. AND DON'T SHOOT HIS HAT!
- Zombies don't die, they can get back up. If you want to put them down permanently, you have to indulge in your inner psychopath and dismember them.
- William Birkin has become the scariest monster in the franchise. And it shows.
- If they remake Nemesis, that is going to kill me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1215 on: 11 Feb 2019, 16:36 »

Oh, for Spacelords, a good description of the style and humor found in it would be 'it's like Tank Girl, in space'. Heck, one of the characters you have unlocked at the start pretty much is an off-brand Tank Girl.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1216 on: 13 Feb 2019, 08:30 »

by the way i dunno if it's come up cuz i'm bad and don't use search function enough, but Heat Signature is Good.

edit: linky linky http://www.heatsig.com/

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1217 on: 19 Mar 2019, 18:55 »

Hey Neko, did you ever get around to trying Apex Legends? I'd be curious for your impressions.

I still play it some. Like I said, there's a decently fun game there, if you're in the mood. Possibly even a really good Battle Royale game, though I've noticed looking more into the genre that people's standards are surprisingly low in some significant ways?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1218 on: 19 Mar 2019, 22:27 »

I have played it once. By which I mean one match, that I died about five minutes in. It was okay. I'm not real big on battle royale style games, but I've suspected there is enough different about Apex Legends to let me enjoy it despite that. However for the past... way to many months now I have been suffering some massive depression and stress from many sources. I'm not overly competitive at the best of times, and I flat out avoid vs player games during times like this because I just get frustrated and angry and have no fun. I'll give it a reasonable shake if and when I ever get into a better head space to get my butt whooped by people who can see and react much better than me.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1219 on: 20 Mar 2019, 07:22 »

Finally started playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and so far I'm really confused by it, but I think they'll start explaining things real soon.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1220 on: 25 Mar 2019, 11:11 »

Just wrapped the first Darksiders game, the one where you play War.

It's... got some very distinct flaws, namely some weird balance issues and Heavens to Murgatroid the badly presented story. Eesh. Cuts the legs out of its fine voice actors, some. Getting ready to try the sequel and see if they were able to fix some of their missteps. (probably not)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1221 on: 03 Apr 2019, 12:51 »

I've come around some on Apex Legends, now that they've fixed some of the stability issues.

But I can't help but notice how differently its many, *many* problems with stability, design, and the game loop itself get framed quite differently than Anthem's. And I think about that, and what that means.

also the newest problem where what was supposed to be a small bug-squishing patch fucked with players' in-game collection and progression? fuckin' woooooow

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1222 on: 03 Apr 2019, 14:34 »

I just started chapter 4 of Final Fantasy X-2, and am mostly enjoying the game, despite its cheesy moments, and more grating NPCs.  I don't even mind the fanservice, except when I'm changing jobs in the middle of a battle and *cannot* skip the cutscene.  I've seen them each at least a dozen times already, FFS.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1223 on: 03 Apr 2019, 16:21 »

I remember reading an article years ago saying that when a game, especially in the PSX and PS2 eras, had cutscenes you couldn't skip or avoid, it was basically the place where they were loading the game, because the games could only be loaded in chunks at a time. And when you were switching jobs or characters in the middle of a fight, the cutscene is basically the game distracting you from them having to load new commands/moves/whatever.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1224 on: 03 Apr 2019, 18:45 »

Dead Cells has gotten some free DLC so I've dipped into it again, but holy shit, I forgot how much of this game is doing the same things over and over again on the way to the new stuff. It gives you a ton of unlocks to work toward, so it's technically not all wasted time, but I'm not convinced it's actually good game design to mitigate repetitive gameplay with an upgrade treadmill.

Also, every dead cells boss does that thing where if you take off a certain percentage of their health, they become invincible and your either have to wait for that to wear off or kill a bunch of their mooks to be able to continue fighting the boss. I hate it SO MUCH.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1225 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:13 »

Makes no sense, though, when it’s the PC version, and loading from an SSD.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1226 on: 03 Apr 2019, 21:12 »

you're not *wrong*, but delayed pc ports of console games tend to be....troubled affairs, we'll say

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1227 on: 05 Apr 2019, 09:16 »

- If you see Mr X. RUN. LIKE. HELL. AND DON'T SHOOT HIS HAT!

I shot his hat off, got the trophy for it and immediately noticed that he was WAY more aggressive.  I swear it actually pissed him off that I shot his hat off.

Sidenote: saw a short video where someone took those moments where you turn around and he's standing there and then punches you, overlaid  DMX's  'X GONNA GIVE IT TO YA'  right when the punch lands and I laughed for a while at that.  It was pretty good.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1228 on: 05 Apr 2019, 11:12 »

If you liked that, there's a mod that just makes that his soundtrack:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1229 on: 05 Apr 2019, 11:38 »

Just avoid the Mr X in a speedo mod...

My eyes will never recover.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1230 on: 05 Apr 2019, 16:13 »

recently, I started Division 2. it's a game best played with company. Yes, you can do it alone, but it's so much more enjoyable in a group, even if it's only to be able to complain to someone.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #1231 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:09 »

So I just wen't from one experience to a vastly different one in short order.

I played the RE2 remake. A solid game. 8/10. Would murder zeds again. Looked into some mods. Most seem to either replace the handgun texture with a different handgun or make Claire naked (or Mr. X!? I mean... I don't wanna kink shame, but... yikes). Hard pass.

Next was Into the Breach. Absolutely amazing. It's from the developer of FTL and the visual design really shows it, as does mech power management. It takes the standard tactics format and renders it down to its core. Small scale battles with only 3 units against small squads of enemies force you to become intimately familiar with the abilities of your squad and your enemies. Oddly, it was most reminiscent of the chess puzzles I used to do in my local paper which gave you a game in progress and asked you to solve for some condition (black takes the queen/ white mates in 3/ etc.). Battles last 4-5 turns. You have 3 units. There are 4 enemies. They will attack [here]. Solve to minimize damage. I cannot recommend it strongly enough if you're into tactics style games.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1232 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:44 »

Speedo Mr. X is an international treasure and I will not hear words against him.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1233 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:57 »

My eyes would disagree with you, but they melted upon seeing that horror.

Anyway, I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2, quite enjoying it, but my game got corrupted so I've had to restart it. Going with a Necro/Two-handed Knight combo and even from the little bit I've gotten into with the character build, it feels ridiculously overpowered and fun. Just need to decide who to take for the rest of my party.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1234 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:07 »

playing The Witness, which i'm pretty sure is half a joke on enticing people like me to jump through puzzles

it is pretty good so far! if.... kind of mind melting

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1235 on: 18 Apr 2019, 05:22 »

You ain't seen nothing yet.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1236 on: 18 Apr 2019, 05:40 »

i'm at 119, so while i'm pretty sure i haven't seen nearly the worst this can throw at me, i've seen a *little*

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1237 on: 18 Apr 2019, 07:14 »

I will say that I have now seen some more things and hot damn

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1238 on: 18 Apr 2019, 07:23 »

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

MarigoldSkye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1239 on: 18 Apr 2019, 17:31 »

Recently?

Dragon Age: Inquisition (for the umpteenth time.  I really should actually finish it one day).
American Truck Simulator.  I will have to post a screenshot of my fabulous truck....
and that old classic - Game Dev Tycoon (Yo dawg, I heard you like games....)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1240 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:42 »

Did the ATS devs ever adjust down the amount of open, operating weigh stations? I remember that they underestimated the dilapidated state of the American infrastructure enforcement system, as it were.

MarigoldSkye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1241 on: 19 Apr 2019, 08:29 »

Did the ATS devs ever adjust down the amount of open, operating weigh stations? I remember that they underestimated the dilapidated state of the American infrastructure enforcement system, as it were.

Not really sure.  There are still weigh stations.  Not sure if the number matches reality or not, as I have no experience with them IRL.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1242 on: 19 Apr 2019, 09:41 »

no worries, just idle curiosity. to be honest i'm pretty sure they'd have been more true-to-life if they'd cut them out altogether, at least that's how it feels in this part of the Midwest

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1243 on: 22 Apr 2019, 08:39 »

Played through the Resident Evil 2 remake this past weekend with a friend.

Strongly recommend it. Great fun, and still shit enough to be amusing. Genuinely unnerving and frightening at times, with some fun action too.

Boss battles are a bit weak.

My least favourite thing was that every two or three times you died it offered to make the difficulty settings lower for you. I was furious with that shit.

And one of the last bosses killed me exactly once and the loading screen told me how to kill him.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1244 on: 22 Apr 2019, 12:22 »

Counterintuitively, the knife is the best weapon for most of the Birkin fights. Because of the sweeping motion you hit several hitboxes at once which when you total the damage is comparative to a shotgun round hitting all at once. Plus in later fights, there's probably going to be at least one eye open and if you can hit that you're going to be doing some extra damage.

Of course, you still have to survive the fight...

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1245 on: 23 Apr 2019, 13:23 »

Beat The Challenge segment of The Witness!

that was... phew. i'm not this kind of smart, so that was aaaaaaa

this whole game's aaaaa really. i've certainly had to rely on the shoulders of giants to get through it

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1246 on: 23 Apr 2019, 14:17 »

That segment forever ruined In the Hall of the Mountain King for me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1247 on: 23 Apr 2019, 16:26 »

"M" ruined that one for me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1248 on: 24 Apr 2019, 11:52 »

Counterintuitively, the knife is the best weapon for most of the Birkin fights. Because of the sweeping motion you hit several hitboxes at once which when you total the damage is comparative to a shotgun round hitting all at once. Plus in later fights, there's probably going to be at least one eye open and if you can hit that you're going to be doing some extra damage.

Of course, you still have to survive the fight...

I was co-playing it with a friend of mine and we had numerous arguments over the 24 hours we spent about whether to bother picking up flash grenades.

My vote was anything that defended us from a bite from a zambo was a good choice.

He was simultaneously irritated at the waste of storage space (which is fair enough) but if it was a flash, he would be irritated the zombie took no damage, and if it was a frag, he would be annoyed at the waste of ammo on a basic enemy.

We both clearly had what the other lacked in this game. He remembered the map layout really easily, whereas I think I was a bit better at improvising and conservation.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1249 on: 24 Apr 2019, 11:53 »

obviously i dunno how flashes work in this case, but seems like they'd be better, in most options, for lickers and/or doggos and/or speedo men
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32   Go Up