THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343193 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1250 on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:06 »

His aversion to them meant that we never really used them offensively except by mistake. The game does kid glove you in one way, which is that your own weapons never damage you, even explosive ones - but it simultaneously heightens the unrealism and difficulty because a zombie with a grenade in its mouth will do no splash damage to a zombie that is physically touching it at the time.

Never tried them on Lickers, we just ran (sometimes successfully). Once I picked two off a wall from a distance over a long period. We were both so panicked by them that we never really bothered to try and learn how to get by them efficiently.

Never tried them on doggos because they only showed up in one segment and we just... didn't ever throw them.

It was literally only the basic zambos we used them on. Don't even know what a speedo man is? I haven't played many of these games.

Most interesting enemy was the Tyrant, although he eventually stops being frightening and becomes annoying. Speaking of him...
(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1251 on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:26 »

Any and all defensive weapons had their advantage in RE2 beyond the obvious free hit from enemies.
- Knives have an arc that make them useful if you have to dispatch zombies that are on the ground. Also handy for disarming zombies by dismembering them.
- Grenades could destroy pretty much every enemy and more so when faced with a group of enemies.
- Flash grenades don't look like much but they are worth their weight in gold. No enemy in the game is immune to some effect of the Flash grenade. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Now it does come with the caveat that the Flash grenade is better used before you get attacked so you can stun an enemy and run past it.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1252 on: 24 Apr 2019, 14:15 »

what r speedo men? [paraphrased]

if you look upthread a bit you can see. very short answer without explaining, i'm talking about Mr X or whatever you wanna call him

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1253 on: 25 Apr 2019, 22:05 »

I'm probably more proud of this than I should be.

Official time, 12:17
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1255 on: 26 Apr 2019, 00:10 »

Yeah, I finished his run. Tried the tofu run, and wasn't able to get through it. Hunk's was pretty tough.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1256 on: 26 Apr 2019, 00:44 »

oh yeah, i never even bothered trying them back in the day.

i was just having to stare at the picture for a long moment to dredge up correct context, cuz i saw that and instantly thought of fallout :x

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1257 on: 26 Apr 2019, 04:45 »

oh yeah, i never even bothered trying them back in the day.

i was just having to stare at the picture for a long moment to dredge up correct context, cuz i saw that and instantly thought of fallout :x

I hadn't thought of that, but now I see it.  This image is of hunk coming through the gate at the front of the rcpd building to be picked up by his helicopter.

I did get through Hunk's run on the original RE2, and it took a LOT of tries on the remake. Tofu... Man that's next level masochism on the old one. This one isn't quite so bad. I feel like I can complete this one. I never completed the original.

My blog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1258 on: 26 Apr 2019, 08:27 »

Not to spoil things for you, but if you do complete Tofu, you do get some awesome stuff.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1259 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:17 »

on a side note, i keep forgetting that
Code: [Select]
:x is translated to angry emote here, which changes what i'm intending to send a bit

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1260 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:17 »

anyway, good luck and godspeed, brave tofu warriors

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #1261 on: 03 May 2019, 20:34 »

I never did finish the challenge segment of The Witness. Some of the puzzles just never quite gelled with me even after I knew what they wanted from me mechanically.

Spoilered 'cause its a puzzle game

(click to show/hide)

But I'm not really bothered by not finishing the challenge path. It seemed really out of place to me in a game that is otherwise very slow and contemplative. The rest of the game felt like it was saying "Go slow. Take your time. Take in the scenery. Be present. Observe." Then changing gears all of a sudden to "GO! GO! GO! There's a ticking clock now! Hurry!" just didn't feel very good to me.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1262 on: 03 May 2019, 21:01 »

Considering 'winning' the Witness is really about choosing to walk away when you feel done, i wouldn't worry too much about skipping a section like that.

and the color puzzles, i never could do those, i just... used a walkthrough >_>

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1263 on: 04 May 2019, 02:37 »

I took a screenshot, hue-shifted the parts until they matched, then solved it normally. If the game wants to play tricks on me, I can do the same.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1264 on: 04 May 2019, 05:21 »

also i love the scissors idea you used. i instead had to opt to open an MSpaint canvas and futz about, since i couldn't visualize it all very well

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1265 on: 04 May 2019, 05:39 »

By that time the game is really just fucking with you in order to make a point. I persevered anyway (mostly out of spite) but when it came to the 'optional' puzzles I quit long before I'd found them all, as it just became tedious after a while.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1266 on: 08 May 2019, 18:34 »

hyrule warriors

uhhh

i'm uh

i'm in pretty deep gang

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1267 on: 10 May 2019, 02:23 »

THERE'S SO MUCH GAME

THEY SHOULDA SENT AN ELF POET

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1268 on: 10 May 2019, 05:28 »

de_la_Nae has been lost to us. Let us have a moment of silence, followed by a one elf ocarina salute.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1270 on: 12 May 2019, 07:18 »

I've been on a hockey kick (went to 2 caps games, watched Mighty Ducks 1 and 2 on HBO, rewatched grumps play the NES classic Ice Hockey) so I decided to boot up my Switch and log into the NES classic arcade and play Ice Hockey for the first time. My wife (loves hockey) decided she wanted to play too. Neither of us knew the buttons very well but played a game. US (Her) vs USSR (Me). I ended up with 12 points to her 4...she got very angry and didn't want to play a new match now that we've learned the buttons. I got lucky as most of the goals I scored were in the beginning of the game as we were learning how to play. By the end of it we both got the hang of it but instead of replaying with her new knowledge of the game she rage quit. Hopefully I can convince her to play again.

After that she decided to just play on her phone and I decided to play a game I haven't played since I was 5. Tecmo Bowl! My wife had never seen me so aggro as I played Denver as Chicago. I was hooping and hollering but lost 31 to 41.  My wife kept telling me to calm down since our daughter was asleep. Was a fun nostalgia trip but I couldn't figure out all the buttons by the end of the game. I used to be really good as a kid. She never saw me so competitive before watching me play Tecmo Bowl and to her it was just weird considering how goofy I play most games.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1271 on: 15 May 2019, 18:57 »

I successfully beat The Legend of Zelda tonight! Hyrule Warriors made me want to go back and do it.

This makes 2 Zelda games in my life that I've completed. The first was as a kid, when I beat Zelda 2 on the NES. so... a little backwards, and like a 20 year gap. but better late than never, right?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1272 on: 16 May 2019, 08:33 »

Good job de_la_Nae!

I still need to do that. I think I'm on dungeon 4 or 5 on my switch but haven't had the time or energy to go back yet.  I feel like the controls for it on the switch is a bit loosey goosey compared to the old NES so it makes the game tougher.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1273 on: 16 May 2019, 08:38 »

see i thought that too, and i'm not gonna say it's not necessarily untrue....buuut....

Like, I'm old now. I can tell I don't have the reaction time I used to have. And on top of that, i've been playing games for years. and every time i go back to an old game, usually on that old console, my brain&body, that have been enjoying modern control sensibilities, feel like 'man this is harder handling than i remembered...'

know what i mean?

i will also say, in case this is a thing you also have been going through, do *not* use the analog stick to move if you can help it. Use 2-controller setup, and use the left face buttons as a d-pad. it works a bit better.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1274 on: 16 May 2019, 08:40 »

i learned that the hard way, after banging my head against it over and over again for a night

on the flip side, i do wonder if the semi-connected d-pad of the old NES did provide a little better handling than these utterly disconnected buttons, or the well-meaning analog that gives you inputs you can't move in

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1275 on: 16 May 2019, 13:52 »

Yeah I think thats the worst part is the thumbstick makes it loosey goosey. But the thumbstick feels so natural to use with the controller configuration. If the D-Pad part was on the bottom too then it wouldn't be so bad.

I will say using the analog stick for Ice Hockey feels natural, but that may be because you're on ice.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1276 on: 17 May 2019, 05:41 »

I have started playing Minecraft "Feed the Beast" Sky Factory...

I now have no life...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1277 on: 17 May 2019, 07:33 »

Had to restart DOS2 a couple of times, finally got to the Nameless Isle and oh god, Necromancer/Knight/Scoundrel is an ungodly combination, just tearing through enemies.

(click to show/hide)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1278 on: 17 May 2019, 08:46 »

Like, I'm old now. I can tell I don't have the reaction time I used to have.

Googling reaction time (vs. age) reveals some interesting facts:
  • Reaction time does increase with age, but far slower than I e.g. expected - If you're 30 now, you should have at least one 'good' decade left.

• You peak in your mid-twenties rather than your mid-teens.
    (Yes, I know that runs counter to the 'perceived average age' of pertinent online communities (roughly -5 years) - I have a simple theory for that one: a) Practise matters. A lot. b) Most people who do practise gaming for several hours a day don't yet have to pay rent themselves.)

• Stress and anxiety play an important role:

(proposed functional relation, not actual measurment)

• Reaction time is is not reaction time:

According to https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/, I'm 10-15ms faster at age forty-five than I was at age thirty (174ms average today). Since it's unlikely that my squishy matter has improved in the intervening 15 years, I guess it's probably down to my being less anxious and therefore less prone to 'over-tense'.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1279 on: 17 May 2019, 10:04 »

well i dunno about all that, Case, but i'm gonna blame it on stress, my poor health, and my probable encroaching dementia

(well maybe i shouldn't say 'probable' but y'know i'm pessimistic about this lol)

quick plug for Hypnospace Outlaw. I haven't gotten to it yet, but word is it's quite good in its strange niche. And I did play Dropsy, one of their previous games, and it's... well, quite good in its strange niche. So yeah.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1280 on: 17 May 2019, 10:08 »

and no but seriously there's *so much game* in Hyrule Warriors. At least the 'definitive' or whatever edition on the Switch. Way too many characters, I've not even finished the basic Legends mode yet (though I have completed *four* different stories in it, essentially), there's an entire Challenge mode i haven't even looked at yet, there's a weird Fairy companion management sideline meta game, there's an Adventure mode with like 8 maps some of them consisting of *many* battles, I just...

there's a lot of game.

It's a Dynasty Warriors et al thing, so I mean if you're not in the mood for action hacking slashing over and over and over again, it'll grate on you long before you finish it. but this is the sort of gameplay loop my brain absolutely craves sometimes.
a lot of times
all the time?  :psyduck:

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1281 on: 23 May 2019, 23:38 »

I've been replaying old PS1/PS2 era JRPGs that I loved as a teenager (and trying not to think about how long ago that was). As I did, I thought about some of the design characteristics that gave some of those series a distinct throughline even when the stories were very different. Even apart from consistent mechanics and naming conventions, Final Fantasy games all feel distinctly like Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy usually aims for a high fantasy grand adventure where the central quest; young hero saves world from mega evil, is wrapped up in international politics, corporate interests and forces beyond the hero's grasp. All of those elements generally serve the game's greater themes. For example, FF7 explores environmentalism, capitalism and personal identity through Shinra, the Cetra and Cloud, but the "main plot" of Sephiroth trying to destroy the planet with a meteor seems... incidental. FFX (probably my favorite) did that too with Sin exploring our relationship with our planet and Tidus exploring our concept of self. Seymore and Yu Yevon explore politics, religion and the pursuit of power. FF games feel like if you're just playing through the main quest, you're missing the story.

But my favorite JRPG series by far is Breath of Fire, particularly 3 and 4. By comparison to Final Fantasy, the stories in BoF are small. Ryu just wants  to find his friends or help Nina find her sister. The politics and whatnot that Final Fantasy is so fond of are there, but they aren't the point. The big quest to confront the big bad feels like it's happening to or around Ryu. Mostly, you're travelling through the world, learning about it and the people in it. Then, at the end, the game asks you a simple yet difficult question; "Is humanity worth it?" In BoF3, you are constantly faced with power and pursuit of power. How do people seek out power? What do they do with it? Should they have it? Then you arrive in the northern lands which are a vast and uninhabitable desert. You learn that humanity once developed incredible technologies, but in their lust for greater power nearly destroyed the world. If the goddess Myria hadn't intervened, the whole world would now be consumed by the desert. In BoF4, you are confronted with similar problems. You see the worst humanity can be. You see the torture of innocents, sacrificing of lives for petty political squabbles, arrogance, hubris, and greed.  And in the final confrontation with the big bad, the game just straight up asks you if Humanity is worth it. Yes or no? And if you say yes, are you willing to fight for it?  Should humanity live under Myria's protection or be allowed to live with the consequences of its mistakes? Can humanity be better than its worst parts or should Fou-Lu destroy it all. And at no point during the game are you told that you're expected to judge humanity until the very end. The theme doesn't come together until that question comes up on the screen in a simple text box. You're just allowed to observe.

I'll be honest, the first time I played those games, the answer was simple. Of course humanity is worth it. You say yes. You fight the final boss. You feel good about it. But lately, that question has been harder and harder to answer. We've known about climate change for at least half a century. And now that scientists think we have just about one decade left to avert global disaster, we're still fighting about it instead of fixing it. Slavery officially ended in the United States in 1865, but de facto slavery existed through vagrancy laws and convict leasing until 1942. Arguably, it still hasn't truly ended since prison labor still exists. And we're still dealing with institutional racism, sexism, and LGBTQ+ rights. And they're the same damn arguments we've been having for decades if not longer. I'm not convinced that society is actually getting better.

Ultimately, I'm really sad that BoF didn't capture a place in our culture like FF did. FF7 alone sold more copies than the entire BoF series combined. But that one question, "Is humanity worth fighting for?"... that has stuck with me and weighed more heavily on me than anything Final Fantasy ever did. The themes in FF games are good and important and the stories are amazing, but it never really confronts you with the problems is brings up. Final Fantasy just seems to say "Yup. Humanity is pretty bad sometimes." Breath of Fire asks "Humanity is pretty bad sometimes, so what are you going to do about it?"

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1282 on: 24 May 2019, 11:27 »

I've started Final Fantasy 14 again. Holy crap, I seem to have learned my share since I first played it. First play through I did was with a DPS, then levelled a healer. Now I started as a healer, amd despite the lack of damage and being even squishier than my original Main, I had way fewer problems progressing through the story.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1283 on: 25 May 2019, 10:10 »

Bought Guacamelee 2 and I'm having a lot of fun with it, like getting together with an old friend

It offers up to 4 people playing it at a time and I wish my friends had it too
« Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 10:26 by Blue Kitty »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1284 on: 26 May 2019, 11:31 »

I got Total War 3 Kingdoms. Its fun but because I am not familiar with that area of history I feel lost on what to do. With Rome I knew who all the factions are and what they are capable of, same with Shogun and even Warhammer (duh), but I know nothing of the era so I don't know who to watch out for or what to expect. Conquering the map is like climbing a mountain whereas the other total wars seemed more like going from region to region. Its hard to describe. I do like the units and the generalship and managing the court. A full stack is about 24 units and 3 characters. Combat is fun and no different from its predecessors except you can issue challenges to opposing commanders and generals.  The research is a little less intuitive but it may just be because I'm still figuring things out.  So far I really like it, just feel lost.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1285 on: 27 May 2019, 07:55 »

Did I see correctly that you can choose a more realistic playthrough or a more fantastical-hero one a la Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1286 on: 27 May 2019, 10:12 »

Did I see correctly that you can choose a more realistic playthrough or a more fantastical-hero one a la Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Yes. Romance mode is more fantastical, Records mode is more realistic. They delayed the game (I think it was originally slated to come out in March) so they could add the Records Mode.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1287 on: 31 May 2019, 21:41 »

So I know nothing of the Three Kingdoms period of China and I am playing the total war game and while fighting Cao Cao I got an achievement called an "eye of the beholder" for having archers shoot at a general named Xiahou Dun that was with Cao Cao. I figured it had some sort of relevance. After quitting the game (its past midnight so I am starting to make some mistakes from fatigue) I went onto Imgur and did a search on the 3 kingdoms to get some context on the era and sure enough the first image that comes up is a comic where Xiahou Dun takes an arrow to the eye.
https://imgur.com/gallery/MYeD8

edit: Also I am getting a feeling from the fanbase that Lu Bu is basically the Darth Vader to Dong Zhuo's Emperor Palpatine. Both are hated along with Cao Cao.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1288 on: 01 Jun 2019, 03:28 »

As someone who's read most of a translation of Romance, and been on the periphery of Dynasty Warriors, I can totally ramble back and forth with you about some of that, if you want. Though it's a little rusty these days.

You're more or less right about Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo, though. sorta. i don't know how spoiled on an ancient epic you wanna be :p

God, though, I read "eye" and was all "YES YES XIAHOU DUN YES", the guy essentially being all *yanks out arrow+eye, starts to cast aside* "aww, wait, we've been through so much together, i can't just let you go" *om nom nom* it's a special kind of disgusting glorious

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1289 on: 04 Jul 2019, 22:20 »

I've just finished 100% completion of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It really is exactly what it says on the tin; a spiritual successor to Igarashi's work on Castlevania. To paraphrase Yahtzee Croshaw, it's a smash cut of all of his best ideas. It is everything I wanted it to be.

And I think I hate it.

There are a few minor nit-picks I have, like how I don't think the new graphics do the art any favors. I think the kind of pixel-y look of SotN is the best Castlevania ever looked. The crisp 3D of RotN looks slick, like I'm going to slide off of it. The map design leaves a little to be desired as well. Some of the areas feel small and linear and don't give you any reason to go back to them. SotN made most areas places you would have to traverse over and over even if you knew exactly where you were going, but your new abilities made traversal feel new every time. And you were constantly finding stuff. Most things you find in RotN are crafting materials or money (and not very much of it). New gear is almost always obtained by finding a recipe book, then grinding endlessly for the materials to make the next incremental improvement on your armor and your favorite weapon style. Sure, the item list in SotN was ridiculous and unwieldy, but most of it felt just different enough that I was always excited to find a new weapon or armor.

But those aren't really reasons for me to dislike it this much. I think what I really dislike about it is that I feel like I'm playing something I played before, but not quite as good. RotN does everything I wanted except for anything new. And no matter how well it does it, it can't ever live up to the feeling of being 13 and getting my very first game console that wasn't an old hand-me-down from one of Dad's coworkers that they gave away because they just bought their kids the newest model. We got a second hand Atari when the NES came out. We got a second hand NES when the SNES came out. We made do with that until Christmas 1997. That Playstation was new and had my name on it. And Dad accidentally let me open a memory card first and spoiled the surprise (Mom was not amused).

Bloodstained can't compete with that memory no matter how good it is. And that isn't its fault. It isn't Igarashi's fault.

I just want to be 13 again.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1290 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:01 »

An early-access game from Steam called MewnBase.

Stripped down to its essentials, it's a fairly by-the-numbers survival game where you gather life support and construction resources to keep your astro-kitty alive for an arbitrary mission length on the surface of a Mars-like but habitable distant world. However, there is something addictive about the challenge of gathering and storing resources and expanding your initial small hut into a decent base. The mid-game, when power distribution and consumable management become issues, will challenge the player who thinks it is just a cutesy cartoon cat game

It's only at Alpha 0.48 at the moment but it's already pretty smooth and reliable for all that. I'm looking forward to the full release!
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2019, 04:07 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1291 on: 15 Jul 2019, 08:20 »

A friend gave me a code for the Xbox game pass thing so I'm trying a few games that seemed interesting. So far I've tried Ashen, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Below, and Outer Wilds

-Ashen has a great look but I couldn't get into the combat
-Hellblade is amazing so far and I've only just begun
-Below just kind of annoyed me, like a not so good Zelda GBA game
-Outer Wilds has amazing environments but I couldn't get into the controls so I couldn't really get to them. I'll probably watch a let's play of it

I'm also looking at Absolver and Wizard of Legend, a lot of the other games on here I already own or can get from libraries

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1292 on: 17 Jul 2019, 21:14 »

Was really enjoying Nioh, but I haven't been able to get it to stop crashing on my computer. Very frustrating, especially since the first levels of this so-so port to PC *don't* have these crashing issues.
It's a good game if you like Soulsborn-alikes at all. But argh.

Minecraft's gotten me some again. New world of course, there's been too many major updates since last year or however long it was since i played it. and it's hard to return to a homestead after a long absence, for some reason.

Tried playing the Borderlands Pre-sequel, and it's fine. But, and this happens with all of the Borderlands games and also other games whose designers have this problem, but the wind just gets taken right out of my sails when I run into this specific level design problem: designers not making up their mind whether they want me to explore or not.

Borderlands series and Destiny 2 are the most obvious examples I've experienced off the top of my head, with on the one hand giving fun and useful movement options and often hiding treasure of various sorts off the beaten path, but then also inexplicable invisible walls and the like. In this most recent example, see in the PreSequel a lot of the gameplay is in low-gravity areas on a moon's surface, you're given high jumping and some very limited jump-pack mobility stuff and encouraged to use it, with in-game achievements for combat exploits while gliding through the air, as well as containers of loot and other nifty things on top of buildings and tucked in wrecks and hideyholes, etc. and there was a specific level i was on, early in the game, fighting my way through a hostile settlement in and around a particularly neat-looking spaceship wreck. And I saw, up above, too high for me to jump straight there from the ground, a clifftop with a building on it. I think even some enemies spawned up there and leapt down to attack me. And I couldn't get up to it from where I was, but it was immediately obvious that I hop up some of the various wreck and building infrastructure, and get up there in 2, maybe 3 hops.

Except, and I had the sinking suspicion as I climbed to the jump spot, that it wasn't gonna let me do it, even though by all rights I should be able to. Maybe it was because I couldn't see any equipment lockers or ammo boxes or anything, which are usually all about the place. And the 3 games in the series are full of places that you *should* be able to go, that in many other circumstances you CAN go, and be rewarded for spending the time and effort for doing so.

jump.

splat against the damned invisible wall.

It's disheartening. And from where I'm sitting, lazy! It's not like I was exploiting buggy physics, it was a simple glide jump of some sort. If they didn't want me going there, they could have
1) Not made it, could have been just a solid rock wall
2) Made it a little higher
3) Made things around it a little shorter
4) let me go and then just not put anything up there to see, do, or get

so i'm still sulking about that.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1293 on: 18 Jul 2019, 23:14 »

I tried to get into Borderlands, but it just isn't for me. The pre-sequel was especially frustrating for me for that very reason of invisible walls. I would expect a game with low gravity and jump-jets to make traversal a major part of the mechanical appeal of the game, but it mostly made everything feel slow and uncomfortable. It was like swimming through aspic with little sense of direction.

What I have been enjoying this past week is Lucah: Born of a Dream. The "Souls-Borne" style combat isn't usually my jam, but it really worked for me once I got into it. It helps that there are a variety of difficulty options including allowing you to change enemy AI difficulty and player HP independently and several "Mods" (which other games would have called cheats) to give you unlimited stamina, magic or items. Playing on easy mode won't lock you out of any content, either. I appreciate the devs including options to let me just soak up the story if I want to or to let less skilled players get into it without spending hours "gitting gud". The idea that "easy" modes would ruin games like Dark Souls is one of the worst takes in gaming.

The story is... well... hard to describe.

It's told mostly through metaphor. The symbolism is rich and absolutely everywhere, but the plot is thin on the ground. Of course, a game called "Born of a Dream" is going to employ a lot of dream logic. It deals with themes of abuse, identity, faith and mental illness. But it's mostly abstracted enough that it should be accessible to people with related trauma (I wouldn't strictly feel the need to give content warnings). It's the kind of game where if you're asking "what happened?" instead of "what does this mean?", you're probably going to be lost.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1294 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:07 »

Minecraft - FTB - Sky Factory 3

All I'll say is... CHICKENS!

:)
Covenant

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1295 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:38 »

Monster Prom. It's only the second or third video game I have ever played. It's a dating sim game set in a high school for monsters and it is hilarious. It's cheesy and campy and dark and dirty and silly and oh so queer. The humour is very tongue and cheek and self-aware. The artwork, character and costume designs are phenomenal.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1296 on: 19 Jul 2019, 09:03 »

Best of all Monster Prom is a party game you can play couch co-op with.  :-D

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1297 on: 29 Jul 2019, 00:17 »

A few months back, I bought Dishonored at a Steam sale. I played only one mission of the game before forgetting it.

Ironically enough, that happened not because the game wasn't any good. It happened because the game was TOO good. I ended up playing it for too long a time in one go and got some severe motion sickness as a result. I put the game away and other things got in the way of me returning to it.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I bought Dishonored 2, also on a sale. I started playing the first game again to finish it before I would go on to the second one.

I rarely lose track of time so badly. I replayed the first mission, this time going for a "ghost" run-through (not killing anyone, not getting detected ever), and I had so much fun that before I knew it, I was on the third mission, it was 3 AM and I ran out of ginger root that I was chewing to prevent motion sickness.

Dishonored, as far as I'm concerned, is a near-perfect game. Usually I don't go for first-person games or games with a lot of action and environment navigation. I prefer games with thinking or planning. Turn-based strategy games, old-school (really old-school) cRPGs, the like.

But Dishonored somehow manages to hit a bullseye as far as fun gameplay goes. My favorite part is easily how sandbox-y and freeform the missions are. It's an amazing feeling to have played the first mission a second time and do like half of it completely differently, even approaching the main objective from a completely different part of the map.

I recommend the game even to people who might not otherwise enjoy stealth-action games. I think it really transcends its genre in many respects.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1298 on: 29 Jul 2019, 06:06 »

LIMBO

Was a freebie on Humble about a week ago.
Dunno if anyone else has played it - I LOVED it, very atmospheric, nicely puzzling, but I would have been a bit miffed at getting it full price.

Covenant

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1299 on: 30 Jul 2019, 17:12 »

if it's what i'm thinking of, it was a big breath of fresh air, like a decade ago when it came out

edit: I tell a lie, *nine* years ago when it came out
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Up