THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343328 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1300 on: 02 Aug 2019, 06:33 »

I finally started playing Abzu and it's very calming. Nothing but swimming around and interacting with things underwater so far

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1301 on: 02 Aug 2019, 12:35 »

Inquisitor: Martyr was half off and I picked it up.

Its very much a Diablo 3 clone, but that's not a bad thing. I'm enjoying it, though I am aware that while I can play it fine on my laptop, I'm going to need to really upgrade it to really enjoy it. But definitely a game I'm going to enjoy.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1302 on: 14 Aug 2019, 14:06 »

I am utterly shocked at the lack of LotR mods for Warhammer Total War 2 on the steam workshop.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1303 on: 14 Aug 2019, 15:01 »

I think that might be a contractual thing the developers have with GW, no importing foreign assets or something.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1304 on: 21 Aug 2019, 20:39 »

Conan Exiles worth checking out?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1305 on: 22 Aug 2019, 09:49 »

I've been putting it off but I'm finally gonna replay Fable. I got the anniversary edition for Xbox 360 and made it half way so I'm restarting on Xbox One

I was getting ready to shudder at how cruddy it would look but I forgot it's the updated Anniversary edition

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1306 on: 27 Aug 2019, 04:39 »

Not playing but watching several playthroughs of: Control, by Remedy Games.

Absent a miracle in licensing and acknowledgement by the corporate world of the rights of internet-based literature creator groups, this game is the closest thing we'll ever get to a game based on The SCP Foundation.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1307 on: 30 Aug 2019, 12:57 »

Not playing but watching several playthroughs of: Control, by Remedy Games.

Sounds like the Bastard offspring of Jedi Knight and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., set in Stross' Laundryverse.

I like it!

I've been playing Space Engineers quite a lot - I caught the "survival and build"-bug from Subnautica, and SE takes that up a few notches. Not to mention where the modding community is taking it ...
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2019, 13:56 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1308 on: 31 Aug 2019, 16:48 »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to confederate the rest of the HE factions in WHTW2. We're all on really good terms, above 100 rep (like 120 something) I have worlds most powerful military and own something like 23 towns/cities. Confederation is yellow in the diplomacy screen but they all reject it. What am I missing here?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1309 on: 01 Sep 2019, 12:10 »

Some of these games are hard-wired to force you into a military confrontation once you reach a certain power level. It's usually explained in-game as being basically the other leaders' paranoia that you intend to dominate  them.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1310 on: 04 Sep 2019, 21:28 »

I locked into Catalyst Game Labs latest Kickstarter.
BATTLETECH: Clan Invasion.
i'm in for $100, but would've dropped $600 if I could swing it.
very excited.

In the past month, I've been able to MeetUp with gaming buddies for two Saturdays of BattleTech fun.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1311 on: 06 Sep 2019, 05:24 »

dark souls. damn it all. dark souls.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1312 on: 06 Sep 2019, 05:38 »

Grim Dawn. Also known as Smashy Smashy the game.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1314 on: 06 Sep 2019, 06:10 »

It looks like a Warhammer Fantasy Witch Hunter from the cover art.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1315 on: 06 Sep 2019, 07:21 »

Fun game though. And you can play as an Inquisitor as a class - dual wielding pistols though. Although the dungeons do tend to drag little bit.

Grim Dawn > Diablo 3

fite me
Ooooor, and hear me out on this, we fight the big gribbly spirit thingy instead?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1316 on: 06 Sep 2019, 08:27 »

i contain multitudes! i can fight both cthonic blood cultists *and* fell fire demon spirits!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1317 on: 06 Sep 2019, 09:04 »

I can smash crates...and mobs. I love Shockwave.

What build did you go for? Two handed Warlord (Soldier/Oathkeeper) here.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1318 on: 06 Sep 2019, 17:37 »

It's honestly been a bloody while, so I can't remember too well. Taking a glance, though... Demolitionist of some sort, I think.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1319 on: 08 Sep 2019, 12:28 »

Actually I tried WoW Classic when it launched last week.
My general thought is that nostalgia is great, but it does blind us to the flaws that were present at the time. Poorly laid out quest structure and progression, zero map interface - I can be on board for seeing material that was lost due to expansions over the years but at times, it felt like writing on a touch screen to chiseling stone with a broken animal tooth.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1320 on: 08 Sep 2019, 13:28 »

I think that the stone tablet and animal tooth are an easier way to write than touchscreens sometimes.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1321 on: 12 Sep 2019, 19:50 »

Some of us, Castlerook.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1322 on: 13 Sep 2019, 10:52 »

so i'm actually going to beat Dark Souls finally! just been 5 years since i first bought it, lawl

Edit: poor final boss Gwyn went down really hard, fairly quickly. i'm just too OP, I guess.
hooray! finally beat it.
(click to show/hide)

Now I wasn't gonna bother, but I'm dashing through New Game+ for shits and giggles. It's funny, now that I know/am familiar with most of everything, and remember enough of the alternate routes that I can skip whole levels. Maybe I'll go back for some of those levels before I put this playthrough to bed.... maybe.

Edit 2: The Age of Fire ending done. Now I can finally put this all to-
*buys Dark Souls 2*
damnit

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1323 on: 20 Sep 2019, 16:30 »

Dark Souls 2 update: phew, that Pursuer, i.e. "fantasy game Nemesis who would be saying SOULS instead of S.T.A.R.S if he said anything at all that is"

running around kinda willy nilly and half lost. made some good progress though, and just finally took The Rotten down! 1/4 Old Ones for the initial "goal" of the game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1324 on: 20 Sep 2019, 16:48 »

The Dark Souls games are pretty rare in that their NG+ modes are more than an excuse to take a victory lap through the game. It is that, but it's also a chance to dive into the PvP more seriously now that you have a fully realized character and you stand a better chance against invaders. Plus, it's always fun to see how far you can get in the game while defeating the fewest bosses so that you leave yourself open to invasions in the most places.

By the way, did you complete the DLC before moving on to DS2? You definitely don't want to skip that, it's got some of the best bosses in the game.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1325 on: 20 Sep 2019, 23:17 »

Oh, the Artorias et al DLC? Yeah, I noogied those nerds real hard. It was good times.

(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1326 on: 22 Sep 2019, 04:12 »

I killed The Rotten and The Duke's Dear Freja before The Lost Sinner or even GOING to the ruins of Heide because i am blind and bad  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1327 on: 07 Oct 2019, 18:46 »

Found out the New California mod was released earlier this year, so today I reinstalled Fallout: New Vegas and gave it a try.

Good game, serves as a prequel to New Vegas, although its given me even more reason to hate the Enclave. But it also gave me a Hunting Shotgun and a Light Machine Gun in the first hour, so yay.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1328 on: 13 Oct 2019, 18:43 »

Forget what I said.

As much as I enjoy New California, its still built around the Bethesda code. Dear god, there have been so many crashes, even with bug fixes and patches.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1329 on: 20 Oct 2019, 09:28 »

Gris.

It's a very pretty puzzle-platformer done in a hand-drawn and water colors style.

EDIT: found a let's play.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2019, 09:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1330 on: 28 Oct 2019, 10:52 »

Outer Worlds.

surprisingly, even my old rig that doesn't quite come up to minimum specs is doing more-or-less fine running it so far. One shutdown that might have been me jostling the power connection (old and finicky surge protector) instead of something overheating. or might have been something overheating. but so far now that i've started monitoring it more, it's running loud but cooler than it used to for some games.

and it's a good game so far. at least if you liked, say, fallout. surprise, surprise, huh?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1331 on: 28 Oct 2019, 10:55 »

oh, and for those that are either unsure they can run it, or want to give it a go without buying it through Epic and don't want to wait until next year's Steam release

well

so it's available via Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass or whatever it's called. which is also available on PC. a monthly subscription similar to what Humble and EA's Origin and some of the others have started doing these last couple years). The PC version of the Game Pass is, at least in the US, $1+sales tax for the first month. like, 5 for other months.

not to shill for them, but i didn't even know this was an option, until someone else told me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1332 on: 29 Oct 2019, 11:56 »

So today I started playing Doom.

It is a big stupid brainless shooty fun!

Except I keep getting lost. I am finding it very difficult to keep track of where the fuck I'm going, and I am like on the second level.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1333 on: 29 Oct 2019, 12:04 »

I played that way back in the day, and had the same problem.  I really have no sense of direction. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1334 on: 29 Oct 2019, 12:42 »

The original Doom? Yeah, I got lost quite a bit, too.

I think the intended play is that you'll do the same level more than once and start getting a feel for the layout eventually.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1335 on: 29 Oct 2019, 13:01 »

I should clarify, this is one of the modern games called Doom. Doom 2013 I think?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1336 on: 29 Oct 2019, 14:15 »

Doomslayer Doom? That was released in 2016.

The problem is that Doom is very large and very non linear. So it does take more than a bit of practice to find your way around.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1337 on: 29 Oct 2019, 17:32 »

or is it the 2012 remaster of the 2004-ish Doom?
>_>

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1338 on: 29 Oct 2019, 17:52 »

Oh yeah, that was so bad my brain tried to wipe the memory of it.

Thanks for reminding me of a game that was so crappy, they made it pitch black so no one could notice it.

oddtail

« Reply #1339 on: 30 Oct 2019, 01:12 »

I think Doom 3's main problem was that it was part of the "Doom" franchise. If it was a game under a different title, trying to do its own thing, it would be remembered more fondly (I mean, it wasn't a flop or anything and it got good reviews, but it does seem to be remembered very negatively).

Then again, if a random FPS was made and it *wasn't* called Doom 3, it probably would not have sold as well as D3 did on brand recognition alone.

Ah, capitalism.

EDIT: Doom 3 apparently sold three and a half million copies. 2016 Doom, despite being loved by critics and audiences, sold about 2 million on PC. This upsets me greatly. But again - that's capitalism for ya. I hope the combined sales when you add consoles go above 3.5M, but still - the fact that the games have comparable sales just feels weird and off.

EDIT 2: nevermind, found a Reddit thread from 2 years ago estimating Doom 2016 had sold over 3.6M total copies by then based on SteamSpy and VGChartz. Still, the fact that Doom 3 was ultimately a big success despite being so disliked in hindsight remains equal parts interesting and weird to me.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2019, 01:18 by oddtail »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1340 on: 30 Oct 2019, 07:46 »

I've gone back into the borderlands with Borderlands 3. It feels like talking with an old friend and takes me back to the time my friends were really into the second one

The writing is about the same as the second one, for better or worse, but I like it. I'm running Fl4k right now cause I like the animal companion element (also folks have said it's the easiest character to run solo). It's also scratching that Destiny itch I've been having since I dropped off after the end of Forsaken

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1341 on: 22 Nov 2019, 21:16 »

So a week ago I posted this on Imgur:
"Skip all the reboots and retellings, when are we going to finally get this movie?"
https://imgur.com/gallery/pymemTz

Well fast forward to today, I log into steam and guess what the fuck it recommends me:
Terminator: Resistance
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/

Its getting decent reviews so far, and on top of that its only $39.99 as opposed to most new games standard $59.99

When I get back from vacation I'll probably pick it up.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1342 on: 23 Nov 2019, 11:19 »

So I finished The Outer Worlds the other day. I've got some distinct complaints, BUT

but

Obsidian hit a homerun, friends. If you like this sort of game at all.

also since i'm on the microsoft pass thing, i tried Wandersong and holy shit yeah. also a fucking homerun

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1343 on: 23 Nov 2019, 11:53 »

Right, that microsoft pass thing, it's a doozy. I was gonna get it but it's only for Windows 10, and I'm one of those stubborn fools who refuses to upgrade from Windows 7. But my computer is on its last legs it seems, so it might be time for a system upgrade soonish. Between Twitch Prime and all the Epic giveaways I didn't think I had any reason for more subscription services, but after looking those microsoft games over it seems I still do!

On that note, this month's Twitch Prime game is Planet Alpha, which is a very enjoyable romp through a beautiful alien ecosystem where you Indiana-Jones away from everything trying to kill you. It's not going to change your life but it does a lot of things right: Space whales! Clunky 80s sci-fi robots! Giant foliage! That's my kind of shit.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1344 on: 29 Nov 2019, 15:42 »

Doing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Now I didn't play the Castlevania games this is rooted in, for the most part (I did play Portrait of Ruin at one point, but past that my other one was Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest on the NES :x ), but this is pretty good!

also here's a bitchin' song inspired by The Outer Worlds, just... just because i like it and wanna share it, really.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1345 on: 30 Nov 2019, 22:48 »

Içve started replaying Cave Story and Pudding Monsters.
Pudding Monsters is by the creators of the Cut the Rope games and is another mobile puzzle game using different mechanics.

EDIT: elaborating on PM.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1346 on: 01 Dec 2019, 17:53 »

I've been checking the buzz around Cyberpunk 2077 - anyone familiar with the RPG it's based on? Is it a variation of that Shadowrun-Universe?

What really intrigues me is Keanu Reeves' character Jonny Silverhand - apparently a sort of KI/digitized personality that your game-character slots into their 'neurointerfaceblarghwhatever', and who your game-character can see/interact with. It seems to go back to that old 'Dixie Flatline' idea of William Gibson's from Neuromancer, and some of the discussions I've seen cover the same themes touched on in that old howler from '83, like: 'What is a human being in the first place?' 'Is it possible to fully transplant a personality into an artificial medium - or is the 'personality' merely a something that is very good at faking the reactions of the person in question, but beyond that, 'there's nobody home'?' Etc.etc.

IIRC, Neuromancer very briefly explored those theme - Case (the novel protagonist, not yours truly) ask the Ghost of his former mentor how real it is, to which the Dixie Flatline-construct replies something along the lines that it feels like it is really Dixie the person, but that Case probably shouldn't hang around and wait for it to start composing an opera. 

I like that kind of "Philosophical SF" - though, tbh, the only examples I would know off are Gibson's stuff from the 80s and 90s (Sprawl-trilogy & Bridge-trilogy) and, of course, GiTS.

P.S.: I got a new "Philosophical SF question" (in case any of you is a writer, or likes discussing that kind of stuff):

Is the Turing test really any good at what it was supposed to do? We've already seen Twitter-bots that have tricked people (although one could argue that the Twitter-interface significantly constrains the bandwidth of even textual interaction, that those were people who were very excited (angry), were expecting a certain narrow range of interactions that the bots were trained to navigate, most of the humans who were tricked likely weren't aware that bots of that sophistication existed, and hence didn't consider the possibility etc.)  So how good are humans really as judges of intelligence?

And if it turns out that we aren't a very good as judges of intelligence - yet the sole currently known example - what is intelligence then, and how would we spot it when it drops by to say hi and snarf a cigarette? (**)

What if it turns out that only a handful of us have the capacity to reliably spot an intelligent entity? What if that became a bona-fide employment? What if it those state-certified intelligence spotters completely freaked out and told us that a significant part of humanity, let's say 10% or so, are actually ... not really what we think of as human, but that some were more like 'philosophical zombies'?

Would we believe them, or would that be too terrible to accept? If we did - how would we treat our 'simpler brethren' (History is full of nightmarrish examples in that respect - think e.g. what the Nazis had planned for Poles & Russians)? Is intelligence even a crucial requirement for being human - if so, would that mean that more intelligent people more human? (Or maybe the other way round: What if intelligence and empathy are orthogonal, and empathy is the more important quality? What if it turned out that there's a subset of humanity with really high IQs, but ... there's nobody home in their brainbox?)

Or more prosaic: How would we know that the intelligence-spotters always tell the truth? What if some of them lied about specific persons they tested being fully intelligent - e.g. what if it became known that some of those intelligence spotters take bribes?  etc.etc.

(**) What if it so turns out that we can create intelligence - even intelligence far more capable that we are - but there's still nobody home? Nothing even remotely resembling a person, not even a mammal - more something like a corral? There's neural networks that learned to play Go far beyond human capacity inside of days - and IIRC, those were simultaneously a major step in the 'general purpose Intelligence' - but they won't say hi or snarf a cigarette from you any time soon. Maybe there's a kind of tradeoff between intelligence and personhood?
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2019, 18:30 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

oddtail

« Reply #1347 on: 01 Dec 2019, 23:53 »

I've been checking the buzz around Cyberpunk 2077 - anyone familiar with the RPG it's based on? Is it a variation of that Shadowrun-Universe?

No, the two have nothing to do with each other. The tabletop game, Cyberpunk 2020, was first published, IIRC, a good few years before Shadowrun.

CP2020 has no mystical or fantasy elements, so its vibe and setting is completely different from Shadowrun beyond "it's also cyberpunk".

I'll admit to being a bit confused by your question. What about CP2077 gave you the impression that it's based on or related to Shadowrun? I'm genuinely curious.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1348 on: 02 Dec 2019, 00:16 »

What about CP2077 gave you the impression that it's based on or related to Shadowrun?

Profound ignorance?  :-D

I'm a Gibson fan, but didn't get into RPGs before ... Witcher, methinks? So I kinda missed those two.

oddtail

« Reply #1349 on: 02 Dec 2019, 00:33 »

CP2077 honestly, even though the creator of the original tabletop game was consulted, is probably be gonna very different in "feel" from CP2020. The game was very much "how the late eighties and early nineties imagined the future". The new video game does seem eager to borrow something from the eighties' aesthetic and whatnot, but the original game is positively quaint in how it imagined the future. So I'd say CP2077 takes some cues from CP2020, but will be otherwise at best loosely inspired by it.

CP2020, as tabletop games go, was very popular in Poland at one point, by pure happenstance. It was one of the first published tabletop games in Poland alongside AD&D and WFRP, and many older players know it because of that - when the hobby was being introduced here in 1980s and early 1990s, people played and knew the few games that someone happened to publish here. And the decisions to publish one game over another were often rather arbitrary.

CD Projekt being a Polish developer, I'm like 90% sure that CP2077 as a game was created because many people in the company are nostalgic for an old RPG from their youth ;) from what I understand, the game was never that popular in gaming circles in the West, it was niche at best.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Up