THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343354 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1350 on: 03 Dec 2019, 19:39 »

Thanks for the elaboration, Michael.

CP2020, as tabletop games go, was very popular in Poland at one point, by pure happenstance. It was one of the first published tabletop games in Poland alongside AD&D and WFRP, and many older players know it because of that - when the hobby was being introduced here in 1980s and early 1990s, people played and knew the few games that someone happened to publish here. And the decisions to publish one game over another were often rather arbitrary.

CD Projekt being a Polish developer, I'm like 90% sure that CP2077 as a game was created because many people in the company are nostalgic for an old RPG from their youth ;) from what I understand, the game was never that popular in gaming circles in the West, it was niche at best.

I've heard that after Poland's 'colour revolution' (no idea how Poles call it, sorry), there was a time when there was an appetite for stories featuring 'detached, apolitical professional heroes' of the Geralt of Rivia type? (I don't remember the source, and it was in the context of a discussion of Sapkowski's books & CDPR's game, so ... it could contain a certain degree of retconning). If so, it'd be no wonder that Poles took to Cyberpunk during that time - that's half the aesthetic of the damn' genre.

I don't know whether people in the WestTM weren't as eager for the Cyberpunk thing - Gibson is American-Canadian, Mike Pondsmith is American, nevermind Neal Stephenson and Bruce Sterling ...  and there was enough of an appetite for them to make a good living off it. What is probably true is that Cyberpunk never really came to be a dominant cultural paradigm, instead simmering kind of in the background for decades. Just like Punk never went mainstream, but never truly went away, either. It probably didn't help that Gibson was an extremely reluctant posterboy for the 'movement', and he has that horror of revisiting past ideas, which seems a bit of a handicap for the elaborate world-building needed for an RPG.

Also, there's the fact that people in the WestTM are positively crazy for 'Eastern' games and SF-aesthetics, as evidenced by the success of CDPR, or the the STALKER games (and those were some of the buggiest shit seen in years, defended by the most hostile PR-people to ever harangue a customer to boot  :laugh:).

IDK - I have soft spot for SF & Fantasy from 'the East' (*). Sometimes there's elements that are familiar, but somehow, there always an angle I've never seen before, and an authenticity that I feel many of 'our' authors have lost to a degree.

(*) Sorry for lobbing everyone from one side of the former Iron Curtain into one box here. I know it's probably even more wrong than the alleged cultural homogeneity implied in 'The WestTM' - what I'm aiming at is the fact that a certain set of people where exposed to Western CultureTM very suddenly at roughly the same point in time in the early 90s. And how I think this may help explain the 'somhow familiar, but brandnew at the same time'-feeling I often get enjoying their creations.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2019, 20:00 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1351 on: 03 Dec 2019, 19:49 »

Lest I forget: Here's Mike Pondsmith himself expanding on the respective Universes of Cyberpunk 2020 and -2077 (start at 1:16:01).

CD Projekt being a Polish developer, I'm like 90% sure that CP2077 as a game was created because many people in the company are nostalgic for an old RPG from their youth ;)

Looks like you're right that a lot of the CDPR-team working on 2077 were fans of the original tabletop game - Pondsmith says as much.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2019, 20:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1352 on: 05 Dec 2019, 16:35 »

I don't know whether people in the WestTM weren't as eager for the Cyberpunk thing - Gibson is American-Canadian, Mike Pondsmith is American, nevermind Neal Stephenson and Bruce Sterling ...  and there was enough of an appetite for them to make a good living off it. What is probably true is that Cyberpunk never really came to be a dominant cultural paradigm, instead simmering kind of in the background for decades.
There's been a fairly steady flow of cyberpunk-ish movies (Blade Runner perhaps most obviously) and video-games (System Shock series, and Deus Ex series, for example). But maybe <anything>-punk can't become a dominant cultural thing without ceasing to be punk.

CD Projekt being a Polish developer, I'm like 90% sure that CP2077 as a game was created because many people in the company are nostalgic for an old RPG from their youth ;) from what I understand, the game was never that popular in gaming circles in the West, it was niche at best.
In the world of tabletop RPGs, everything except D&D (in which I include its semi-clone Pathfinder) is niche. :-\  I speak here as a one-time Traveller player, or, as I suppose one should now say, a "2d6 Science Fiction Role Playing Game" player, since the scene is so fragmented, thanks to a long series of decisions by publishers that might have been calculated to hamstring their own products. I just wanted to be a gun-slinging space-pilot like Akima Kunimoto, was that so bad? :lol:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1353 on: 08 Dec 2019, 05:50 »

Recently tried my hand at Call of Cthulhu.

Switching up to a tabletop that isn't combat focused was pretty interesting. Too bad the module we tried ended so abrubtly.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1354 on: 22 Dec 2019, 19:30 »

I've been playing WHTW2 a lot lately. Even did an Arthurian Legend playthrough as Bretonnia and renamed all characters I could based off Le Morte D'Arthur and put them together according to cannon (Like Trystram De Lyonesse was a lord with a Paladin "Sir Dinadan" and Damsel "Le Beale Isueld")

I started going on the reddits because I like the meme and found out today that Henry Cavill revealed in an interview with GQ that he'd rather be home in a t-shirt playing Total War: Warhammer 2.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/henry-cavill-interview-2019
“There’s just something about those games that I find so satisfying,” he says. “There’s new DLCs coming out all the time and I’m looking forward to whatever the next one is.”

The total war fandom was so thrilled b this they photoshopped him as Karl Franz:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Gyrre

« Reply #1355 on: 22 Dec 2019, 22:40 »

Anybody play River City Girls yet?

It looks good but money is tight right now.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1356 on: 24 Dec 2019, 09:52 »

Went back to The Last of Us after not playing it for two years with a buddy. His PS3 died, so we had to start over and burn through it this weekend.

Somewhat hilariously having played the RE:2make in between we were vastly better at resource management and found the portion of the game we had already played to be a bit of a breeze.

It's really an excellent game - the story is great, the gameplay is fantastic; I can't believe how realistically frantic the combat feels.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1357 on: 07 Jan 2020, 07:14 »

I've been playing Pokemon Shield on the switch. It is fun but it takes a while to actually get fun. My major gripes are:

1) Its 2019 (when it was released) and I feel like these cut scenes should be voiced. The non cut scene dialogue doesn't have to be, but I feel like the actual cut scenes should have it.

2) There is just too much hand holding at the beginning of the game.

It felt like 2 hours of tutorial BS. It would be better if you could opt not to have it. One character actually asks at one point if they need to explain something and you have the opportunity of saying "Yeah I know about it" to skip it, but everything else was just kind of painful to get through. Which sucks because I feel like there was a major plot point early but it seemed overshadowed to me by all this hand holding tutorial-ness. After you get to the first town and register as a trainer it becomes fun and feels like a pokemon game.  Just getting to that point felt tedious and annoying. Call me an old fart, but I am used to gen 1 and 2 where there wasn't much hand holding and it felt like you started on your adventure fairly quickly (barring that old man in Veridian city that forced you to watch him catch a pokemon so you could learn how to). Just let me explore!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1358 on: 07 Jan 2020, 08:05 »

I got Link's Awakening for Christmas and I started playing it. I'm loving it so far, but the slow down is kind of noticeable in some parts

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1359 on: 09 Jan 2020, 08:11 »

Played and streamed Alpha Polaris over the weekend. Old school point and click horror game set in Greenland, where a young Norwegian biologist and an American oil team are drawn into a nightmare under the lights of the Aurora Borealis.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
?

(click to show/hide)

Not a bad game, but definitely starting to show its age.

This weekend, I'm hitting Oakwood....not the theme park. More's the pity.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1360 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:57 »

I've reached the Wind Fish in Link's Awakening so I've only get a little bit left to go

I'm kind of surprised how short the game is

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1361 on: 05 Feb 2020, 08:48 »

Been replaying RE7 for research on a podcast friends and I will be doing soon.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1362 on: 05 Feb 2020, 10:06 »

Been replaying RE7 for research on a podcast friends and I will be doing soon.
Ive watched SGS play that on several occasions. Its great!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1363 on: 07 Feb 2020, 09:17 »

It is a truly excellent game.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1364 on: 07 Feb 2020, 10:47 »

Playing Pokemon Shield. I am endeavoring to come up with a Godzilla team. Because I have shield I was able to get a Tyranitar to be Big G himself. Hydreigon would be ideal for Ghidorah but unfortunately the are exclusive to sword whereas I have shield. Frosmoth will be Mothra (sorry butterfree). I think Turtonator will make a decent Anguirus but is also sword exclusive. Haxorus could pass as Destoroyah (sans wings).

So basically I have:
Godzilla (Tyranitar) rock/dark
Mothra (Frosmoth) ice/bug
Destoroyah (Haxorus) dragon

Kind of lost on who to collect to get a team of 6. Togekiss (fairy/flying)could pass as Rodan I suppose, but its a bit of a stretch. I suppose I could use a Crawdaunt as Ebirah, but I always felt Ebirah was lame.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1365 on: 07 Feb 2020, 13:05 »

Welp, I might as well confess to it.   Despite all of my complaints about it, I resubbed to wowcrack a few months ago.  Now, of course, I'm raiding again on my hpally, and probably going to start soon on my disc priest.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1366 on: 08 Feb 2020, 11:12 »

Playing Pokemon Shield. I am endeavoring to come up with a Godzilla team. Because I have shield I was able to get a Tyranitar to be Big G himself. Hydreigon would be ideal for Ghidorah but unfortunately the are exclusive to sword whereas I have shield. Frosmoth will be Mothra (sorry butterfree). I think Turtonator will make a decent Anguirus but is also sword exclusive. Haxorus could pass as Destoroyah (sans wings).

So basically I have:
Godzilla (Tyranitar) rock/dark
Mothra (Frosmoth) ice/bug
Destoroyah (Haxorus) dragon

Kind of lost on who to collect to get a team of 6. Togekiss (fairy/flying)could pass as Rodan I suppose, but its a bit of a stretch. I suppose I could use a Crawdaunt as Ebirah, but I always felt Ebirah was lame.

Ghidorah (Hydreigon)

I've been playing Control and it's pretty funny, creepy environment and nice story

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1367 on: 11 Feb 2020, 21:54 »

Ghidorah (Hydreigon)

Yeah but thats only catch-able with Sword, I have shield.  :cry:

So I beat the last gym and its time to take the train to go fight the champion. Anticipating that I was going to fight the champion, I went into the wild area instead and grinded up to level 60 with my league team. This took some time (its not called grinding for nothing!). So once I was ready, I went to the train station. Anticipating to go toe to toe with the pokemon champ when I arrived...but that didn't happen. The train drops you off at route 10 and you still have to fight your way to Pokemon's version of London (Wyndon). All the pokemon, both wild and trained, were level 40-45. I stomped them. It wasn't even fair! I got an extra level or two on them. After getting to Wyndon, I felt weird having level 62 or 63 pokemon...so I went out grinding again and got them all to level 65.

Story Spoilers below:
(click to show/hide)

I'm too tired to continue so I will go to the stadium tomorrow and fight the champ, or whomever constitutes this gen's version of the elite 4 (I've only played gen 1 and 2).

Edit:
Oh and my team consists of:
Cinderace
Corviknight
Frostmoth
Raichu
Umbreon
Sylveon

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1368 on: 12 Feb 2020, 08:12 »

I definitely did not think I'd have Corviknight for as long as I have, but it's a real beast. I don't know why but it wrecks so many Pokemon

Oh, just wait for the post game, it gets even weirder

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1369 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:37 »

Well I was planning on going to the stadium...but I ended up going to the wild area, just wanting to hit up all the D-max spots first...and then it happened! I ran into a G-Max pokemon! An Orbeetle! Its design was amazing! I ended up spending all my time and candies leveling up my Cinderace so that the AI team-mates would stand a chance (apparently they are at a level 70% to your own). I didn't realize that G-max pokemon are not guaranteed catches on defeat like the D-max ones so I missed out on Orbeetle...but I did run into G-max Hatterene and Toxicity and caught them both! Now all my team consist of all the same I mentioned before at level 66, but Cinderace is now lvl 95.

I think I have the champion battle in the bag.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1370 on: 18 Feb 2020, 13:34 »

Played through a couple of the campaigns in Resident Evil 6 with my buddy, since that seems to be a thing we do now.

We're eagerly anticipating both Last of Us 2 and RE3make.

But yes, RE6 was reviled when it came out, but playing it now, with two of us in control, it's actually an enormous amount of fun. It's absolute garbage and very stupid in many places - it had wayyyy too many quicktime events and sequences encouraging you to waste ammo on unkillable bosses, particularly by the end.

But the rest of the game was a real blast. Satisfying weapons, and very playable with the both of us doing it. It must have been unimaginably hideous a game to play with an AI doing it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1371 on: 18 Feb 2020, 19:17 »

Update, I am Pokemon champion now. It took awhile because of all the shenanigans that happened when I went to fight the Champion. I wont spoil it as it was pretty awesome. I stomped his pokemon flat. It was a good match though.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1372 on: 20 Feb 2020, 14:22 »

Finally played Frostpunk throughout (have had it for about a year, but only played it for a little while initially). After a few unsuccessful attempts, I managed the main game scenario on Medium difficulty (which was still pretty tough).

The game is very good throughout, but the climactic challenge at the end of the scenario (no spoilers) is... something else. I legit don't remember when I was last so emotional, so invested and so stressed out (in a good way) during a video game's climax. The game does a stellar job telling a story through a combination of in-game events and game mechanics.

(EDIT: also, I can't wait to finally be able to play through Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds. I've had both since Christmas, but I made a deliberate decision to not play them until I don't have anything serious, work related or otherwise, on my plate. I play plenty of games, but I want to play those with relatively few distractions. I already played Disco Elysium for a few hours, and I can't wait to play the rest of the game, although I'll probably start over after such a long time)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1373 on: 21 Feb 2020, 05:21 »

I've been playing Stellaris lately. It's fun, but a major timesuck (e.g. start at 8:30 pm thinking I'll play for an hour or two, and next thing I know it's 2:30 am and I have to go to work in the morning). For anyone who hasn't played it, it's basically Civilization, except you're on a map of a galaxy.

I'm playing as the Blorg Commonality (they're Fanatic Xenophile/Militarist and the species is Hideous, so they love every other species but every other species hates them). So far I've conquered the Xenophobe empires to my southwest and southeast, and I'm building up my fleet so I can take on the Spiritualist Fallen Empire to my west, because I'd really like to settle on their Holy Worlds without getting stomped on.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1374 on: 22 Feb 2020, 11:58 »

Gyrre

« Reply #1375 on: 28 Feb 2020, 11:40 »

If you like sci-fi and open-world games, try Horizon: Zero Dawn.

You get to fight robot dinosaurs and the writing is actually pretty good.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1376 on: 10 Mar 2020, 11:16 »

Just got through what folks say is one of the best parts of Control and it was pretty amazing. I don't wanna reveal too much, but this is playing while you're doing it

Update: Finished Control and it deserved every award and nomination it got. I can't wait for DLC/a sequel
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2020, 18:39 by Blue Kitty »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1377 on: 19 Mar 2020, 20:18 »

Played the demo for the RE3 remake.

THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO IN SUCH A SMALL AREA! I love it!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1378 on: 02 Apr 2020, 21:30 »

Been playing RE3R, loving it. So much fun and the prologue is amazing.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1379 on: 03 Apr 2020, 10:12 »

Since there's a lot of uh... tedium, right now for more people with everything going on, let me share one of my favorites that i never thought to before.

https://www.kongregate.com/games/tamaii/pixelo

These puzzles have helped me more over the last years than one would think. and there's a ridiculous amount of them, too.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1380 on: 03 Apr 2020, 10:55 »

IRONSWORN is a table top rpg designed to be run solo. It's a sort of bronze age era fantasy game where you design the world and narrate your own adventure that you make up as you go along. The rules are designed to keep the story and action flowing while giving you all the tools you need to help keep your creativity flowing.  And the art in it is fantastic.

You can download the pdf for free.

https://www.ironswornrpg.com/
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1381 on: 03 Apr 2020, 16:35 »

IRONSWORN is a table top rpg designed to be run solo. It's a sort of bronze age era fantasy game where you design the world and narrate your own adventure that you make up as you go along. The rules are designed to keep the story and action flowing while giving you all the tools you need to help keep your creativity flowing.  And the art in it is fantastic.

I miss the NES version, even if the cover art had "not" Fabio on it and the character you play as was covered head to toe in armor. I can still hear the music!

That eagle was annoying. Grabs you and throws you down the cliff!

I picked up Mount and Blade 2. I've been watching some youtubers play it and it looks fun. Will have to wait until I have some time to play it though.  Its basically an alternate reality/fantasy RPG where you start with nothing and build a clan and further your influence until you take over the world.  There are basically 6 cultures currently in the game. Late Roman period (they are having a 3 way civil war), A Norman faction, a Viking faction, a Celtic faction, a Pre-Islamic Arab faction, and a Mongolian one. Each with their own styles, military, and pros/cons. You pick which one is your background and then just do what ever you want, kind of like skyrim.  You can join other factions, build an army, fight in wars, trade, etc. Its more like a Conan the Barbarian simulator game, building a kingdom from your own hands, but with less Hyborian age and more of this pseudo-dark ages. Magic and religion are non existent.  The graphics remind me of Skyrim/Oblivion. The over-world is like a land version of Sid Meier's Pirates. Oddly enough the "plot" that kicks off your story is similar to Sid Meier's Pirates' plot. It looks fun and is currently on early game access on steam. It just released but is very popular. I think its on sale right now for US$45 with an additional 10% off if you have one of the previous Mount and Blade games.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1382 on: 03 Apr 2020, 17:49 »

Interesting, thanks for that!
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2020, 06:23 by Castlerook »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1383 on: 03 Apr 2020, 18:10 »

@Lee: aw, they cut the pseudo-Russians that were in the last game? nertz

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1384 on: 03 Apr 2020, 19:32 »

@Lee: aw, they cut the pseudo-Russians that were in the last game? nertz

I never played the previous ones but my understanding is this takes place before M&B1. M&B1 takes place in the mid 1200s of their calendar and M&B2 is the early 1000s. The Viking faction is like a pre-russian faction as one of their advanced infantry units is called the Druzhinnik, which was a Rus chieftain's retinue or companions. So my guess is if you use an ice stone on the viking faction, they would evolve into that russian one you may be familiar with.

Then again they may just add them in the future.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1385 on: 03 Apr 2020, 19:47 »

or they just rolled their not-russians into their not-vikings

also the thought of mount & blade having a timeline is just... very foreign to how i played it <3

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1386 on: 04 Apr 2020, 08:12 »

Interesting, thanks for that!
You're welcome, hope you enjoy. My favourite mode of play is to write out the action as a journal my character is keeping about her travels.

It's great that the game let's you play a bunch of different ways, with several different approaches to overcoming obstacles based on your particular characters strengths and weakness. And failure is never a dead end, even rolling a miss propels the action forward.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1387 on: 04 Apr 2020, 08:28 »

Evil Apples, an online game like Cards Against Humanity.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1388 on: 04 Apr 2020, 09:20 »

Letting the dulcet tones of Animal Crossing lull me into a quiet sense of calm amidst the chaos that is the current world
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 08:00 by Blue Kitty »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1389 on: 05 Apr 2020, 13:44 »

Playing Mount and Blade 2, I went Vlandian (The Normans) culture and have built up a nice little mercenary group. We've been going after roving bands of bandits and raiders while buying goods at one place and selling them to another that wants it for 2x or more the price. Selling off prisoners and their gear has helped too. Hiring mounted prisoners has also helped as the enemy archers have other horsemen to shoot at instead of just me.  I was able to make a nice 20K Denari but then a series of unfortunate events destroyed my army and separated me with my companion. I was a prisoner of some raiders for a bit before I could escape. I reunited with my Companion (a shield maiden) and hired a couple more companions (a really decent pole-arm foot warrior and a healer I gave a bow to). I am rebuilding my army with Valandians and hiring some former bandit prisoners. One of the mountain passes in the northern part of Vlandia was just covered in raiders until I took out their hide-out. Now its less dangerous to bring an army of 50 troops through.

I am trying to be a good lancer, riding horseback and hitting with a lance can be really tough. I am starting to get the timing down. I usually end a battle with 1 or 2 kills (usually after the enemy routs), but my final battle last night before bed I got 8 kills! most was during the battle with a couple during the rout! Not sure what happened but wow was it great! But then the baby woke up so I had to save my game and go to bed. I still need to learn how to couch the lance, I only know how to stab. I'll have to google it later.

Tip for new players, if you want an easy time early game, go horse archer. Just leave your army in reserve and just ride circles around looters. It herds them into a dense group which makes nearly every arrow hit a target, earning you a lot of XP. After you're out of arrows you can send your army to finish them up and then use melee weapons on horse back during the rout to level that up too. I didn't set up my character for archery so I have pretty much only been using a lance, but watching some youtubers, it looks like shooting fish in a barrel.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1390 on: 05 Apr 2020, 13:53 »

I feel like previous Mount & Blade couching was a matter of horse momentum instead of button pressing, but i haven't played in forever and I uh.... was a horse archer mostly, so y'know :x

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1391 on: 05 Apr 2020, 21:10 »

So I completed RE3r in one sitting on Friday. Its a great game. Not without its flaws of course, but still a great game.

carlosdiaz292

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1392 on: 06 May 2020, 09:19 »

I've been playing Battlefront 2 and at the beggining I felt disapointed because the games finishes so quick and that's not good. But I red in sidereelyou have to download the dlc of the game to keep playing more content but anyway I don't liked that part, 3 stars

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1393 on: 06 May 2020, 21:47 »

I realized I never finished Wind Waker HD and I should probably do that before I get rid of my Wii U. Though I still wanna actually start Undertale during the quarantine

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1394 on: 07 May 2020, 20:12 »

Picked up a couple of survival horror games over on Steam to try for streaming.

Them & Us, from Tendogames - Its 1978, you play a young woman called Alicia who is the lone survivor of a bus crash. Alone, injured and lost in the wilderness, Alicia finds herself trapped in a mansion where a horror is growing and festering.

The game is still in Early Access and with that, I was somewhat weary of getting it, but I figured that worst comes to worst, I can get Steam to refund me. Honestly, it has surprised me, in a good way. Its a love letter to Resident Evil and Silent Hill, that much is clear, but it works and it does it well. Obviously, because its in Early Access, there is still a lot to be done, but what it has thus far is really good. Definitely a game to try if you get the opportunity.

Then there's Crying is Not Enough. What can I say about a game that not only gave the main character two surnames (seriously, in one scene they call him Jacob Halten and Jacob Halden) and tells you to use your "selfphone" light to help you get around.....Well, I suppose the main character looks like they ripped off Nathan Drake's face and stuck it onto Richard Dean Anderson's head....

Honestly, CiNE is a game that is an obvious beta and despite a major QoL patch, still has a lot of problems. What kind of problems you ask? Well, I can't tell you much about the plot, but if you want to get extra ammo, you have to use a save token at an arcade machine and try to match negative spaces to incoming shapes....you get two handgun bullets for each milestone you reach...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1395 on: 19 May 2020, 07:24 »

I've been playing a lot of games lately.

I started Death Stranding back in November but took a break between Jan to April. I had a lot of fun running around the world. The cycle of take a mission, deliver the thing, was very satisfying to me. Playing as Norman Reedus was fun. The story and characters are very Hideo Kojima in the best way. I was so excited about this game that I got the tied-in PS4 pro and it is still one of my favourite things I own. Even the piss yellow controller is still novel to me, but I also had a transparent Gameboy when I was younger.

I finished it a couple weeks before my next planned game so I played the Final Fantasy VIII remaster. FFVI - FFX are games I've played a million times and I would call them my comfort media. It was fun to revisit. I'm very forgiving with aesthetics in my games but some of the backgrounds looked dreadful. Very blurry and blocky and the nicely smooth rendered character models did not gel together a lot of the time. Made a lot of use with the booster buttons. It was nice to replay the story without worrying about the grind.

Then! FINAL FANTASY VII remake!! I loved this. I was cautiously excited for this game since it was announced and playing the demo back in January somehow both got my hopes up and made me more worried. There were so many moments where I felt like the game had perfectly filled in the gaps my imagination made up for when playing the original game. I loved that this had silly extravagant moments and could be serious without being Dark and GrittyTM. There was one moment where I was so overwhelmed with joy and excitement I teared up.
(click to show/hide)
I also really liked the combat, it simply flowed smoothly for me. Weird because I didn't click with Kingdom Hearts combat style at all and this is similar, I did a bit better with FFXV (which I need to go back to and finish) but something about FFVII Remake just worked for me. I'm going back to it in bits to chip away at trophies.

Finally I played The Outer Worlds. Spouse got it for me for my birthday. It was fun and made me laugh. I got attached to the companions, especially Parvati and her side quest.
(click to show/hide)
I will come back to this. It had a lot of Fallout 1 and 2 flavour which was nice to experience again. I like that the choices usually weren't clear black and white evil or good.

And that's it for now. I'm planning on starting Breath of The Wild next.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1396 on: 29 May 2020, 13:44 »

I've been playing a lot of Minecraft recently.
Combat games are currently frowned upon.
and horror?
those are right out.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1397 on: 12 Jul 2020, 13:43 »

Been playing Persona 4 Golden the last couple of weeks, finished it last night. Its a great game, fun and enjoyable, with the majority of the cast likeable and unique.
(click to show/hide)

oddtail

« Reply #1398 on: 12 Jul 2020, 13:44 »

I returned to Planescape: Torment for the first time in... I dunno, 5 years? 10 years?

Holy crap, it still holds up, SO much better than I'd anticipated. It's even better than I remember. It aged very gracefully, I would say.

cybersmurf

« Reply #1399 on: 12 Jul 2020, 15:10 »

I threw 20€ at EA some time ago. Luckily, it was over Steam, and a share went to Petroglyph. Yes, I went down Nostalgia Road, and got C&C and RA Remastered. And that's basically what it is: Nostalgia. They amped up the engine and graphics, but everything else basically is what it was 25 years ago. ... Aaaand I just made myself feel old.

Also, I preordered Horizon: Zero Dawn for PC, and I'm hyped. I've seen most of the game on Twitch, but I still want to play it myself, it's just such a good story IMHO.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Up