THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently  (Read 343332 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: What Games Have You Been Playing Recently
« Reply #1450 on: 11 Feb 2021, 16:38 »

I've been playing "Werewolf the Apocalypse: Earthblood".

Sure, its a little janky, needs quite a bit more polish and the plot is a little contrived and cliched, but damn if it isn't fun tearing through people as a freakin' werewolf! I'm rating it much higher than Cyberpunk 2077...admittedly that's not hard, but its still going to be one of my top games of the year

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1451 on: 12 Feb 2021, 21:59 »

I net another rare Total War Warhammer 2 achievement.

Honestly, I think I may abandon this Itza campaign I played to get this. Its so freaking tough! You're in the middle of Lustria and being attacked by skaven on all sides. I can see it being fun if you did a co-op campaign with Order of Sotek, since they are nearby, but other than starting with Lord Kroak, it feels like I'm rolling a boulder up a hill only for it to fall back down. I am not eliminating the skaven armies fast enough to then take out their settlements.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1452 on: 12 Feb 2021, 22:15 »

Yeah, considering how important Sotek was to repelling the Skaven from Lustria, you might have to ally with them.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1453 on: 17 Feb 2021, 20:04 »

A homebrew D&D campaign with a bit of a Dark Souls twist. All the rooms in the dungeon crawler reset after a) one of our characters die[1][2] or b) we head back to one of the safe rooms[3]. We can only level up in the safe room
 And we level up regardless of death or Homeward Bone.

I've always wanted to revisit ranger after the aimless misguided mess of the first one. I tried to play a few years back. I don't know why I wasn't expecting to be DPS, but I'm the party's DPS. Sharpshooter is an incredibly important feat and well worth the -5 to hit. Especially now that I've got it down to a -2[4]. He's a neutral evil variant human. Cooking up the disgraced noble background was interesting[5]. He signed the contract so his family's status and honor could be restored along with justice being met out to the guilty.

I really need to remember to use Hunter's Mark more.

[1] If one PC dies, all PCs get whisked back to the starting area as the terms in the contract our characters all signed states 'death is not allowed'. Apparently the entire dungeon is being recreated when this happens.
[2] The price of the world reset/teleportation time-travel mechanic is a random memory from our characters. Mine currently can't remember his own age.
[3] There's an item that's basically a Homeward Bone. It takes one full turn rotation to work after being used. We've used at least three over the course of 5 or 6 sessions.
[4] a +1 longbow along with something else I can't recall offhand.
[5]combo of noble and outlander since his family got non-magical banished to a primeval forest to keep the local massive dire beasts in check. Those details are over in the D&D Pathfinder thread if you're interested.

EDIT: better explanation
EDIT 2: clarification that they were banished not Banished
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2021, 20:15 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1454 on: 22 Feb 2021, 19:12 »

I tried out For The King, and I think I played about an hour before I felt like I needed a break. I leveled up to 3. It's... how do I put this? It's a lot like a huge chocolate cake, like that one out of Matilda. I just had one slice, and whoof, it filled me up for a while. But in terms of exploration I barely left the neighbourhood, I have no idea how much of the world is still hidden, and how long until I'm expected to complete this (or die trying). And this is just ONE chocolate cake labeled 'apprentice' that I don't even know I could stand to finish. There's like five more on display!

I'm used to roguelikes where the length of your average run is measured in minutes, and a winning game might last up to an hour. I'm not sure I can stomach For The King when I'm looking at, what, three hours? six?? for every campaign. It's not exactly conducive to failing forward. Maybe I'll just play Rage 2 (the current Epic freebie) instead, it's basically junk food that goes down easily.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1455 on: 13 Mar 2021, 22:55 »

I picked up Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock again. I did some research in tips and strategies to better understand the game and I am doing WAY better than my last attempt. I even unlocked a rare achievement!

The campaign is pretty brutal, but I think I'm in a good position to finally build a decent second battle fleet. I am on Chapter 7 out of 14 so about halfway through. Maintaining colony happiness has been a chore but is starting to pay off. I have learned so much since the last time I played (especially how to use Raptors and better fleet positions). I am still trying to learn how to use torpedoes (which are unguided but rip through hulls like tissue paper, unlike the missiles) but I just unlocked and built some missile/torpedo cruisers which may help in learning. In my first play through, I finally got to build an Artemis class Battlestar and it blew up in the first mission. I was so pissed and dejected.  It seemed so weak! In my current campaign I understand better how to use and protect it and now it just seems over powered, which is great! In one battle, I ended up losing my entire fleet save the Battlestar which won the day with barley a scratch. I ended up reloading and replaying the mission though so I could keep my fleet. Save scumming is perhaps the best way to go because the game is very unforgiving, even on normal difficulty. I am still trying to find the sweet spot on using flak cannons on the Battlestar. You have to be careful that you don't activate it and shred your own missiles or fighters.  So far it looks like the enemy fleets prefer to shoot at my other ships and leave the BS alone and my vipers take out the enemy fighters fairly quickly. Intel reports are coming in that some of the invading Cylon fleets are starting to include Basestars so I better be on my toes. I haven't fought one yet but they are the Battlestar's complement and have heavy armor. Time to learn torpedoes!

I also LOVE the "replay" after each battle. It takes all your decisions and events of the battle and plays it like a movie. Its great!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1456 on: 13 Mar 2021, 23:48 »

i've been fixated on Destiny 2 for like a month or so now ._.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1457 on: 10 Apr 2021, 19:33 »

I've gotten back into Monster Hunter with Rise and it's like I never left. A little time getting used to the new wirebug mechanic but it definitely makes you more mobile.

i've been fixated on Destiny 2 for like a month or so now ._.

I finally got that monkey off my back and now I have a huge side eye for an MMOs going forward.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1458 on: 13 Apr 2021, 22:00 »

Not sure which has more bugs: Night City or the Amazon Rainforest.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1459 on: 23 Apr 2021, 22:22 »

So I knuckled down and played Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock all the way through (well the vanilla game anyway). Its probably the best space fleet combat game out there. It is really fun and intense. Its very rare that you will just roll over a Cylon fleet and every battle feels like its on a knife's edge. The story takes place during the first 3-5 years of the First Cylon War (about 50 years prior to the events of the TV show) and you only play as the Colonial Fleet (but you can play as Cylons in the skirmish and multiplayer modes). The campaign is fun, though not really deep and serves as a minor prequel to the TV series of the mid 2000s with a couple of familiar surnames popping up. The combat really shines and is easy to get a handle of but every battle feels like its own small story. After each battle you can see the replay and it plays out like a small movie.

Its a turn based game where you give all your units orders and movements and then when you hit "end turn" both you and your opponent's fleet act out your movements and orders. Because its turn based, its really easy to keep track of and command your fleet as opposed to the real time battles of say Battle Fleet Gothic: Armada. The campaign map is interesting as you build fleets and move them around to complete campaign missions, side missions, and fight off Cylon invasions of the 12 colonies. You have to try and protect the colonies as best you can so they stay in the quorum and provide money to your fleets to build and run all your ships. You also have to recruit and level up officers so you can expand your fleets and buff their abilities. I think I spent a lot of time between campaign missions 5 and 6 managing the colonies with small flotillas guarding the colonies and building battle fleets to act as an elastic defense to beat up any Cylon invasions.

The ships were great and you can tell the devs put a lot of love into the game as some of the ships resemble the 1970s show (like the base stars and the prototype cylon raiders, or the Artemis Class Battlestars resembling the '70s Galactica and the Mk1 Vipers are the '70s vipers). Its fun to play with fleet compositions and find what works best for you (strike craft heavy, missile boats, gunboats, etc) as each ship has strength and weaknesses that you have to work to balance in both fleet composition as well as in battle. Like the Artemis Battlestars don't have any guns on the bottom of the ships so you want them to be lower than the enemy or have a tough ship stacked underneath to protect it, but at the same time it has powerful top, front, and broadside guns along with fighters and ordnance.  Fleets are limited to no bigger than 7 capital ships and 1 support ship (I didn't have the DLC so I didn't have any support ships) and the size of the fleet also depends on how you level up the commanding officer you assign to the fleets. There is a nice balance of combat, fleet management, politics, and war theater strategy in the game. Honestly, its a really great game.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1460 on: 26 Apr 2021, 19:36 »

I've been on a bit of a Star Trek kick lately. I haven't logged into Star Trek Online in nearly a decade. I just logged in and am reinstalling it. Time to explore strange new worlds for a bit.

I also installed the Star Trek New Horizons mod for Stellaris and it is EXCELLENT!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1461 on: 03 May 2021, 16:59 »

I started playing Hades, and by all things Greek Mythology based, I love it! Never had a game before where dying regularly is a necessary part of your strategy. Just wish I hadn't just watched a video where it was mentioned that, on average, people do a complete and successful run in 32 attempts. Pretty sure I've done more than that already. Am I that bad?
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1462 on: 03 May 2021, 17:08 »

I started playing Hades, and by all things Greek Mythology based, I love it! Never had a game before where dying regularly is a necessary part of your strategy. Just wish I hadn't just watched a video where it was mentioned that, on average, people do a complete and successful run in 32 attempts. Pretty sure I've done more than that already. Am I that bad?

Don't worry about it. I can't remember how many times it took for me to complete a successful run, but the number was low enough that there were a ton of voice lines I didn't hear and several NPC questlines that I wasn't in a position to complete because I blew through the game so quickly. If you're below average, enjoy it while you can.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #1463 on: 03 May 2021, 18:03 »

I managed to get to the first boss fight yesterday (got my ass handed to me, of course) and I was pretty darn impressed with myself until I saw that video :D  Ah well, it's about the journey, and at least I'm enjoying myself.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1464 on: 04 May 2021, 22:55 »

I've been playing One Deck Dungeon, a computer version of the dice-&-deck-of-cards board-game from Asmadi Games. The computer game, which is available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, is simply a very faithful and streamlined adaptation of the board-game, so the linked videos describe the basic mechanics pretty well. It's a sort of "roguelike" in which one or two players explore a dungeon that is randomly generated by drawing cards from a deck (hence the name of the game). The computer version takes care of the book-keeping and dice rolling very nicely, and it's streamlined to play.
Board-game playthrough part 1: Board-game playthrough part 2: Trailer for the computer version:The game is brutally hard to beat, but I think it's an excellent solitaire game. On first sight, you would seem to be at the mercy of the random-number-generators, but there are a number of skills, potions, and tools to manipulate your dice rolls, and it is very satisfying to make a bad roll, but still survive and get the loot.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1465 on: 09 May 2021, 05:56 »

So I talked before about how I've been replaying Bioshock Infinite, partly to see if the sour taste it left in my mouth last time would improve and partly because it involves shooting white supremacists in the face, and that's not something I ever plan on doing in reality but sure is therapeutic in this day and age.

Having finished the main game, which I appreciated more on the second playthrough but still feel doesn't have quite enough 'game' in its game, despite the astonishing art direction and strong writing, I moved onto the DLCs, which I had not played before.

One of them is some tower defense bullshit which I have less than zero interest in. Then there's the two parts of Burial at Sea.

I found both of these pretty disappointing.

(click to show/hide)

As a palette cleanser, I've hopped back to Bioshock 2 (I bought all of them together in a bundle when lockdown started) which I at least know is enjoyable in places. I am refreshed by some of the annoyances Infinite introduced not being present, plus removals of some of the things that annoyed in the first one (goodbye pipe puzzles). It's fundamentally nonsensical as a story from the earliest point of gameplay, but it is at least, I remember, fun to play.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1466 on: 22 May 2021, 18:36 »

I net a few more rare achievements on Stellaris:

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #1467 on: 23 May 2021, 18:29 »

I retried Star Wars: Squadrons the other day. As an immersive starfighter flight simulator, it's incredible. As a combat video game? It's just...underwhelming. The battles feel repetitive, and it's nearly impossible to work with your team (which was one of the main selling points of the game for me) due to how quickly the various ships are repositioning. I got bored after about fifteen minutes.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1468 on: 23 May 2021, 18:43 »

I net a few more rare achievements on Stellaris:

This quote inspired me to fix the copy of Steam on my Linux laptop so I could open Stellaris. I had previously broken it while trying to get Kerbal Space Program to run well (for some reason Steam crashed with the version of the nvidia driver I had to install to get KSP to work). So I updated Steam and tried to switch to integrated graphics, and it worked. But then I was worried that I had broken KSP. Turns out I hadn't.

So, long story short, I've been spending this weekend playing KSP.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Veritable_Variable

• Not quite a lurker
  • He/They
« Reply #1469 on: 03 Jun 2021, 18:49 »

I recently picked up Outer Wilds (Not to be confused with The Outer Worlds), and really loved it. Had been meaning to get it for quite a while, as the premise seemed right up my alley, and holy heck, did it meet and exceed my expectations. An absolutely fantastic exploration/mystery game. As it's a game best played going in blind, I'm going to leave it at that.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1470 on: 05 Jun 2021, 05:02 »

He's right, you know.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1471 on: 08 Jun 2021, 15:13 »

Played a few games over the last weekend with my buddy, as is tradition.

We started on the Telltale Batman game. It was ungodly boring for two hours. I do not recommend.

However we were also pretty worn out and short on time because we had already played:

Resident Evil: Village
(click to show/hide)

We also played The Wolf Among Us, but I wil come back to write about that some other time.

Sappina3

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1472 on: 14 Jun 2021, 21:56 »

I'm playin good old Age of Empires :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1473 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:23 »

The first one? I still occasionally play that one but last time I did it got too hard for me in the later parts of the campaigns.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1474 on: 24 Jun 2021, 15:20 »

I was just reminded of Outer Wilds, a game which I wish I could play for the first time again.

Important disclaimer: Not "The Outer Worlds", Outer Wilds. Different game, which unfortunately came out at around the same time, and probably suffered from the similarity in name.

Another important disclaimer: This game is very spoiler sensitive, so if the following description sounds interesting, I'd recommend picking it up without even looking at the Steam description.

It's a wonderful space exploration game, but on a rather small scale. It takes place in a downsized solar system with several planets. You are an inhabitant of one of those tiny planets who is about to take off as part of the planet's space program. It's an incredibly charming game with a cute and stylish art direction, and basically you're out there to explore. The more you learn, the more do you realise that the game is essentially one large puzzle, which might take 10-20 hours to disentangle.

It contains no fighting, some slightly creepy stuff, but as I said, no fighting. Getting past it is just another puzzle.

It deals with several interesting topics, and not to exaggerate, but I still feel like it had a lasting, positive effect on my outlook on life, years after I played it. I couldn't recommend it more highly. The only downside: once you've learnt the secrets, you can't really forget them again. This solar system is a place that you get to know well, almost like a good friend. So even though the puzzle is solved for me, I still return to it, every once in a while.

Like I said, major spoiler warning, but I'll go into a little more detail here:

(click to show/hide)

And now, for people who are absolutely sure they'll never play the game (don't quote this message if you don't want to be spoiled ;) ) I'll summarise the game. Sorry, this might be fairly long:
(click to show/hide)

Oh, and the music is excellent! If you've played this game, it isn't unlikely this song will bring a tear to your eye:
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2021, 15:58 by ankhtahr »
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #1475 on: 24 Jun 2021, 18:47 »

I discovered Risk of Rain 2 recently and have been playing it with some friends. Not sure how well known it is, but if you haven't heard of it, it's a roguelike set on an alien planet. Your goal is to battle aliens to collect coins, use the coins to buy items found around the map, and complete boss fights to teleport to the next level. It's brutally difficult solo, and you can go from fighting nothing to being overrun by swarms of ten to twenty tough monsters at a time, so I'd definitely recommend playing with someone else.

The best part of it, in my opinion, is designing really stupid builds. You have only limited control over which items you can get, but there are ways to rack up ten or more of the same item, leading to a monstrosity of a run that usually backfires but is hilariously fun all the same. We discovered that playing on the easiest difficulty makes controlling your items easier. Thus, you can stack some of the best items thirteen or fourteen times. Your character's base damage ranges from about 12 to about 40 depending on who you're playing. My friend was able to deal ten million in a single hit.

Fair warning: runs last from twenty minutes to over two hours, depending on how well you do. Be prepared to waste many hours in pursuit of even more attack speed.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1476 on: 25 Jun 2021, 19:09 »

Well I have been replaying Star Trek Online (I had to start over from scratch) and I have made Vice Admiral and I am flying around in a Vulcan D'Kyr science cruiser. There is an annual event going on on Risa. I decided to attend and dress the part (I really wish I could buy this Hawaiian shirt in real life).  I haven't quite figured out how to get swimwear, so I am just beach bumming it for now.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1477 on: 26 Jun 2021, 03:12 »

Ankh, you may be interested in this: There's a fella on YouTube by the name of Sebasian Lague who periodically posts what he calls "Coding Adventures". One of the longer-running themes through the series is his building a solar system and space exploration game akin to the one in Outer Wilds.

This is the first solar system one, but give the rest of his channel a watch too. It has some good stuff on it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1478 on: 16 Jul 2021, 09:17 »

I've been going pretty hard on Stellaris playing the Star Trek New Horizons Mod. Its fantastic! I started out as United Earth in 2150, did the whole Xindi arc from Enterprise (I blew up the probe before it got to earth!) along with the Vulcan one and formed the Federation. Its now like 2230 which is the Star Trek Discovery era but my tech is so advanced at this point that I am at the Star Trek 1-6 movie era in technology. I've absorbed the Saurians, Deltans, Ferengi, Bolians, Xindi, Orions and some other nations I can't remember into the Federation. We're pretty huge now with 4 decked out battle fleets (I could totally afford a 5th, and since I am absorbing both the Tamarians and Tzinkethi right now I might as well build a 5th), the NCC-1701 Enterprise Flagship, the Discovery, and now the Excelsior is currently being built. I haven't had a war yet though. The Klingons are very friendly and I hope to absorb them as well (BE THE ROOT BEER!) but the Cardassians, Son'A and Romulans are all very aggro but are so behind in tech and military size that they just scowl at me from their side of space. I did get a random event that got me Data as a science officer but he died in during a 3 year deep space mission. Same thing happened to Philippa Georgia. T'Pol is still around and in command of the TOS Enterprise, Michael Burnham is running the Discovery (and the spore drive works wonders), and now I need a heroic character to spawn so I can get them to command the Excelsior when it finishes building.

My Battle Fleets contain:
1 Excelsior class
1 Constitution Class
2 Walker Class
5 Miranda Class
6 Akula Class

If I can increase the fleet command limit I would throw in a second Connie. Once the Constellation class shows up I can replace the Walkers with it. I am also waiting on my 3rd refit for the Connies to show up.  You start with the one from Discovery, then refit to the TOS, and then there was a second one which is suppose to take place between TOS and the movies, but now I am just waiting for the one from the movies to finish off the TMP era ship aesthetic.

Oddly enough, since the formation of the Federation, the Andorian population has exploded. Currently they have 122 pop while humans in second place has 91 and Vulcans are somewhere in the middle with like 55. I am doing too well with resources that I am hitting max resource limits and building up all my worlds before they have the pops to fill them. I am kind of just throwing money and resources around to get my neighbors to like me so they can eventually be absorbed into the Federation.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1479 on: 17 Jul 2021, 10:35 »

So I cannot seem to figure out how to get the Refit Enterprise in the mod (the one from the movies). So I decided to load a previous save and try to research any tech other than the Excelsior, since that removed the Connie flagship from the ship manager. So now Data is alive again and exploring the galaxy and Philippa Georgia hasn't hit the scene just yet. Things were going well until something new happened. The Cardassians claimed Bajor and declared war on them! Bajor has been a Federation protectorate for like 50 years up to that point, so we intervened, along with our allies the Tamarians, Tzinkethi, and Ferengi. This is my first war as the Federation. My allies had a bit of a hard time, but the Federation fleets stomped the Cardassians. I didn't have much in the way of ground forces ready for the war, but oddly enough my allies did. The Cardassian homeworld and capital, Cardassia, was invaded and conquered by the Ferengi! Federation ground forces assisted in the mop up of Cardassia but the battle for Cardassisa was won by the Ferengi. 

My forces largely destroyed the Cardassian fleets and space forces while my allies focused more on orbital bombardment and planetary invasions. About halfway through the war, the Enterprise (which participated in nearly every battle) needed a new captain. T'Pol retired from service and the Enterprise and so now it is in command by the young up and coming Philippa Georgia whom finished up the war as her captain. Malcolm Reed, long since retired from service passed away a month after the peace talks. My allies were in bad shape, fleet wise, so after conquering Cardassian space my fleets took back the territory the Cardassians took from my allies.

The Federation cannot conquer, but apparently my allies the Tzinkethi can and had claims all over Cardassian space and when the war concluded they took half their territory including Cardassia itself! I'm currently absorbing the Tamarians and Ferengi into the Federation, but the Tzinkathi are next. The Ferengi was ready to join the Federation halfway through the war but such integrations were put on hold during wartime. So by the time of the next Federation Council meeting they'll be absorbed into it. I still have no idea how to get the Enterprise refit though.  :dry:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1480 on: 29 Jul 2021, 01:24 »

Fallen London

i

i love this shit so much

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1481 on: 29 Jul 2021, 06:10 »

I feel like I've hit the end of Rise and so I'm looking for the next game to play. Right now I'm eyeballing Dragon Quest 11 S Definitive Edition, which should carry me to the end of the year

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1482 on: 04 Aug 2021, 12:45 »

I just started poking around with FFXIV over the weekend, rolled a stereotypical catgirl because it amused me to do so, and have really been enjoying it thus far.  The starting city has life to it, and is fairly easy to traverse even for someone as directionally-challenged as I am, and it really seems to be a living place, rather than just somewhere where I go to visit the AH like in Wowcrack.  I was also quite impressed at how you only ever need to roll one character, and can take on any class/job/profession if you're willing to put the time in.  I also like how instead of wondering whether the swirly on the ground is good or bad, or if bad, if the nasty effects extended beyond the graphic (which may or may not look like the floor), there is a clear unambiguous orange spot on the ground where the bad is.  Thus far, I've never been hit by any of those effects except when I decide that finishing the cast was more important. 

The level of customisation available upon character creation is amazing.  For some things, it's hard *not* to get lost in all of the options.  For the fashonistas, the sky is the limit as far as outfits go, and if it doesn't come in the colour you want, that can be changed. 

The downsides that I've seen thus far are the lack of addons (as a healer main, I'm quite dependent on mine), and will have to be stuck with mouseover macros.  That is survivable at least, and the party frames aren't too bad, but I do wish that I could install some that would work better for me.  The Mac "client", though leaves a few things to be desired.  While digging around to figure out where the fuck the screenshots I took, I made a horrifying discovery.  There *is* no Mac version, just the Windows one in a custom WINE wrapper.  It runs great for me, even at high graphics settings and above 1080p, this may pose a problem for Mac users without system resources to spare.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1483 on: 10 Aug 2021, 14:34 »

Played through seasons 1-3 of Walking Dead, plus the 400 days DLC with my buddy.

I highly recommend the first two seasons. The motherfuckers at this studio have written no less than three well-rounded, sympathetic child characters in their games. I'm not sure it's possible for me to give a game a higher recommendation for its character and writing than that. Even as I warm to them more as tiny people, I still loathe children in real life; video game children are even worse. How have they made three that I have sympathy and real LOVE for?

(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1484 on: 11 Aug 2021, 11:29 »

Played through seasons 1-3 of Walking Dead, plus the 400 days DLC with my buddy.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1485 on: 11 Aug 2021, 11:56 »

Well I did it, I finally beat Rome 2, and I did it as Macedonia. Apparently that's hard to do.  :venonat:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1486 on: 12 Aug 2021, 23:42 »

your occasional reminder that

a) Hollow Knight is good
2) i hate the deepnest oh god i'm getting through but it's just a LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR MY SENSES ARGLE

Gyrre

« Reply #1487 on: 13 Aug 2021, 12:36 »

Say 'No' More

On top of the title being a pun, the game has funny and ridiculous sense of humor.
You play as an intern who is learning to be more assertive with the aid of a self-help cassette they (you pick their gender) they find their first day at their new job. Your character then proceeds to learn various ways to say 'no' to various ridiculous office workers' requests (sometimes not saying 'no' is the right choice).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #1488 on: 13 Aug 2021, 12:41 »

your occasional reminder that

a) Hollow Knight is good
2) i hate the deepnest oh god i'm getting through but it's just a LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR MY SENSES ARGLE

I love when they have the little spiders crawl across the foreground! It's such a good atmospheric detail and adds to the sense of the place. Personally, I hate the Royal Waterways (damnable fluke halves and their horrid gibbering) and the The Ancient Basin.
a real-ass gaddam sword

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1489 on: 13 Aug 2021, 13:01 »

oh yeah, first time i met the flukes i was all WTF IS THAT NOISE AAAA

it's a wonderfully atmospheric game in so many directions. aaaaa, delicious

also i've heard about the no game, glad to hear someone playing it

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1490 on: 13 Aug 2021, 18:35 »

Well I did it, I finally beat Rome 2, and I did it as Macedonia. Apparently that's hard to do.  :venonat:

"Apparently"?  :laugh: Did you find it easy?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #1491 on: 13 Aug 2021, 19:15 »

oh yeah, first time i met the flukes i was all WTF IS THAT NOISE AAAA

it's a wonderfully atmospheric game in so many directions. aaaaa, delicious

also i've heard about the no game, glad to hear someone playing it

It's a pretty short game, but it's fun and over the top on it's ridiculousness, so worth it (YMMV).

Here's a letsplay if yoy're curious.
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1492 on: 14 Aug 2021, 12:53 »

"Apparently"?  :laugh: Did you find it easy?

The early game can be really tough, I just thought that was normal for the game, but I guess a lot of people quit on it or just never played to completion. Ive played as Rome and Carthage a few and early game can be tough at times not unlike Macedon.  I never finished the game since you get to a certain point and it becomes tedious or boring (which happens a lot after a certain amount of turns in a total war game). I remember getting close to beating the game on my first play through as Macedon when the game came out but Rome 2 is infamous for being buggy and my empire became so big, that the game slowed to a crawl.  When clicking "end turn" it would take 20-30 minutes to complete before I could do my next turn. Mind you I had wiped out half the factions at that point, so if anything it should have gotten faster, not slower.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1493 on: 15 Aug 2021, 18:32 »

Been playing a lot of either Dyson Sphere Program, or Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic lately.

Dyson Sphere is basically Factorio across an entire star cluster where you build factories and resource gathering on the many planets with the goal of building Dyson Spheres around 1 or more suns for extra energy and science production. Still early access, but already a fairly polished and beautiful game that's champ at creating memorable screenshots (I've made one of my own my wallpaper).

(Not my screenshots)

Workers & Resources is a city builder set in cold-war era Soviet-style nation where you try to create a viable self-sustaining economy from scratch.

As you start, you can build whatever housing or industries you want by paying cash, but when that runs out, you really need to have established harvesting raw resources and some industry to convert it into more finished products to sell for cash, or you will death spiral very quickly.

Over time, you slowly add on more and more capability to get the raw resources and turn them into everything you need to build and maintain your growing region and its people. And despite managing a command economy, you still do have to keep your people well fed and happy for them to be productive!

(Also not my screenshots).

Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1494 on: 20 Aug 2021, 08:36 »

I visited "The Great House" on Castle Hill in Massachusetts last weekend and was inspired to remake it in Conan Exiles. I posted some screenshots and on location pictures on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ConanExiles/comments/p87iix/visited_the_great_house_on_castle_hill_in/

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1495 on: 21 Aug 2021, 02:12 »

I MANAGED THE PATH OF PAIN WOOOOOO

if you know, you know

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1496 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:47 »

Completed my second run of "Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy" in about 2.5 hours.

First attempt was back in June, and it took 20h or so. The game is much less intimidating than its reputation indicates, especially after you understand how it works.

Game's still good at causing frustration if you slip, and very good at being satisfying to complete.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1497 on: 25 Aug 2021, 20:40 »

I've been playing zero.
my home PC tanked a lightning strike that killed the sound card, NIC and power supply.
only took 2 weeks to get it right again.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1498 on: 29 Aug 2021, 20:32 »

How my evening's gone so far... I decided to play Cities Skylines. Tried to start it up and it wouldn't start. Tried switching from nvidia to integrated graphics, and it starts up. But, it runs so slowly that it's unplayable. So, I go through every solution anyone's ever suggested on the internet, and ended up rendering my computer unbootable. After a rollback to the previous kernel image, the computer boots again, but I still can't play Cities Skylines...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Veritable_Variable

• Not quite a lurker
  • He/They
« Reply #1499 on: 05 Sep 2021, 07:52 »

Recently started playing Bug Fables. Only in the first dungeon right now, and haven't quite been hooked, but what I've played so far looks promising. I'll get back to you.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up