THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 13:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The biggest thing to happen this week will be:

The art change's effects on Claire, of course.
- 17 (24.3%)
How much SexyTimes talk Hannelore can stand.
- 9 (12.9%)
Some sort of insecurity thing with Marigold.
- 1 (1.4%)
Faye and Angus - the other shoe drops.
- 8 (11.4%)
Sven goes all-out emo.
- 6 (8.6%)
The return of RAVEN!
- 12 (17.1%)
The usual: Waffles, spathe ham, etc.
- 0 (0%)
Something completely out of left field.
- 17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2766-2770 (11-15 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 42243 times)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

A kiss on the cheek may be/
quite continental/
but nifty guitars/
are a guy's best friends
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

The discussion was "if I were a god" who would I choose as my prophet. Obviously as a mere mortal, my choice would be irrelevant. I would assume most gods would prefer their prophets agree with their teachings.

Interesting idea - gods who allow their prophets to disagree with them. I could deal with a god like that.
Or at least one who laid on logical and evidenced based arguments its position.

Most gods I have studied tend to be fairly douchey and insecure monomaniacs, though.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The discussion was "if I were a god" who would I choose as my prophet. Obviously as a mere mortal, my choice would be irrelevant. I would assume most gods would prefer their prophets agree with their teachings.

Interesting idea - gods who allow their prophets to disagree with them. I could deal with a god like that.
Or at least one who laid on logical and evidenced based arguments its position.

Most gods I have studied tend to be fairly douchey and insecure monomaniacs, though.
That's because most gods were invented to explain mathematically chaotic natural systems utterly beyond the scope of comprehension of the inventor.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Faye:
Why were you so freaked out about this?
This is the big question. Is Marten attracted to Emily, or not? If not, he probably does not want to hurt her feelings. I can understand that. But what if he really has a crush for her? From my point of view, the employee/intern relation does not really matter. Emily's internship will be over in a few weeks (ok, years our time); and then they can date all they want.

I am suspecting Marten does not really want a relationship (with all inherent complications) just now. He prefers to be single, and is using the employee/intern relation as an excuse for not committing himself.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

That's because most gods were invented to explain mathematically chaotic natural systems utterly beyond the scope of comprehension of the inventor.

Of course, Eris wants us to just accept chaos as a natural part of life, and that there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Also because the inventors tended to be douchey insecure monomaniacs themselves.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Alcohol's a poison, but sometimes there's things inside you that you need to kill.

I first saw this joke on Two and a Half Men. One of the only things on there that's ever made me laugh. I can't believe that show could say something so insightful.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Faye:
Why were you so freaked out about this?
This is the big question. Is Marten attracted to Emily, or not? If not, he probably does not want to hurt her feelings. I can understand that. But what if he really has a crush for her? From my point of view, the employee/intern relation does not really matter. Emily's internship will be over in a few weeks (ok, years our time); and then they can date all they want.

I am suspecting Marten does not really want a relationship (with all inherent complications) just now. He prefers to be single, and is using the employee/intern relation as an excuse for not committing himself.

The alternative is that Marten does want a romantic relationship, just not with Emily and is hoping to let her down easy.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I feel like Marten is attracted to Emily, but feels that he shouldn't be, and is trying to remind himself of this. And I doubt she is interested in him at all!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

For the whole length of the strip Marten has shown little or no relationship-seeking behavior. Waiting for Faye was in practice a way to avoid a relationship. Dora took charge of pursuing him.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

He's freaked out because, to steal a line from 3 Ninja's

Marten LOVES EMILY! Marten LOVES EMILY!

Okay, that doesn't sound as good as Rocky Love Emily, but still.....

:-D

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I wonder if Emily might remind him a bit of Padma.  Padma could seem kind of clueless at times, although not quite in Emily's "Is she actually in touch with reality?" kind of way.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It's The Wine of Truth!

Halleluiah!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I agree, sometimes people say things and I just go "wait... really?"  A peck on the cheek is something that needs to be reprimanded between two friends who happen to work together?  Damn Marten, you sound like a freaking... uh... librarian.

Okay, that just reminds me of that Devil's Carnival 2 trailer (which I almost linked, but it does get a tiny bit gruesome at one point).
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

For the whole length of the strip Marten has shown little or no relationship-seeking behavior. Waiting for Faye was in practice a way to avoid a relationship. Dora took charge of pursuing him.

I don't know, he tried to get a little something going with Delilah the dreadlock girl. Got shut down, but he went for it.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

He made a move on Lt Potter. Not exactly seeking a relationship, but he did subtly and inexpertly try to hook up.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Damn it Cosette.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Damn it Cosette.
Exactly what I was about to say.
Quis pater tibi est?

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

Oooooohhhh ho ho ho, next week is gonna be juicy.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

So the question is, who does she kill first: Sven, for being Sven, or Faye, for leaving her in the dark about it?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Dorapocalypse impending. Next week's gonna be interesting...
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Jazzmaster

I don't really get why this upsets Dora so much.  I mean, I understand "comically over-exaggerated rage for lols", but regardless I don't see why Dora needs to be the one who's furious when it's got nothing to do with her.  Or has she not made any real progress regarding her control issues and her brother?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Compared to this comic, I'd say that Dora has made some progress.  At least she's looking more Terminator than Lovecraftian monstrosity.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

LASER EYES! 

Hmmm, has Dora been having some cyber surgery she didn't tell anyone about?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

For those of you who are just tuning in, the girl on the left in the last panel is the same girl as the one in this comic.

And I'm suspecting Faye's going to get the same grilling that Dora gave Marten a few strips after that aforementioned comic.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Sven is fucking with the emotions of her best friend, that would piss me off, too. Anyone messing with my friends pisses me off, that's just part of being a good friend. That it is her brother, with whom she already has deep seeded issues, just adds fuel to the fire.
@syleegrrl

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Dora the Destroyer!
(click to show/hide)

Jazzmaster

Sven is fucking with the emotions of her best friend, that would piss me off, too. Anyone messing with my friends pisses me off, that's just part of being a good friend. That it is her brother, with whom she already has deep seeded issues, just adds fuel to the fire.

Fair enough.  Still it just seems like drama for the sake of drama.  I'd support my true friends any day of the week, but I wouldn't just start confronting people left and right as if my friends are incapable of sticking up for themselves and need me to come in the middle and create even more of a situation, ya know?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Cosette what the fuck :psyduck: (Edit: Actually it's not as bad as I thought, Dora doesn't seem to know that Sven told Faye as well...still pretty bad though)
And I doubt she is interested in him at all!
Well that's harsh.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2014, 20:08 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

billydaking

• Plantmonster

Fair enough.  Still it just seems like drama for the sake of drama.  I'd support my true friends any day of the week, but I wouldn't just start confronting people left and right as if my friends are incapable of sticking up for themselves and need me to come in the middle and create even more of a situation, ya know?

The "people" here is family, which is different. Also, this isn't just any old situation....Faye is someone with severe emotional problems, who took forever to trust someone enough to get into a healthy relationship. Dora's brother is now screwing with that.  And this is after Sven and Faye had a sexually active relationship that went south when Sven cheated on her and caused massive issues. 

There's a history here, a history that Dora thought buried, and Sven's latest self-centered misstep further screws with Dora's best friend, which Sven should know is nothing but bad for Faye but obviously doesn't.

Dora has every right to be furious. The drama was already there.

Precipice

• Not quite a lurker

Countdown to nuclear detonation:

Resumed.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Of course, Eris wants us to just accept chaos as a natural part of life, and that there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

All hail Discordia!

As for this latest development. I'll be going to the cellar now. You're all welcome to join me.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

There's been no confronting yet. I may or may not have confronted the guilty party in this case, I am merely saying that Dora's emotional reaction is both understandable and reasonable. How she chooses to act is an entirely different matter.
@syleegrrl

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

"And then Dora exploded."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Dora the exploder.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

As for this latest development. I'll be going to the cellar now. You're all welcome to join me.

Is that the cellar you converted into a fallout shelter? 

Got supplies? 

A can opener? 

Corkscrew? 

I'm right behind ya. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

You forgot to mention converted from a wine cellar. Hence the corkscrew.  :angel:
What do you know about Pokémon?

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

wow, I did not recognize Cosette until I read the dialogue. I fell like she is the most inconsistently drawn character for Jeph.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You forgot to mention converted from a wine cellar. Hence the corkscrew.  :angel:

[W.C.Fields voice] Aaah yas, reminds me of the time we were caught in the Andes moun-tains... we lost our corkscrew, and had to live on food and water for many days... I was but a mere pratt then, not knee high to a grasshopper... [/W.C.Fields voice]
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

wow, I did not recognize Cosette until I read the dialogue. I fell like she is the most inconsistently drawn character for Jeph.
Yes. Please check one of my previous posts here.
Cosette is my favorite character, but apparently Jeph has had problems determining how she looks (or he has been experimenting with her more, as she is not one of the main characters).

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Got supplies? 

A can opener? 

Corkscrew? 

I'm right behind ya.
I was going to ask if there would be booze. Carl beat me to it.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

TheEvilDog

And to think you all laughed at me when I had that fallout bunker installed, well guess who's laughing now?!*

*still you guys...I forgot the keys....

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

[W.C.Fields voice] Aaah yas, reminds me of the time we were caught in the Andes moun-tains... we lost our corkscrew, and had to live on food and water for many days... I was but a mere pratt then, not knee high to a grasshopper... [/W.C.Fields voice]
Charlie McCarthy: Are you eating a tomato or is that your nose?

W. C. Fields: "I love children. I can remember when, with my own little unsteady legs, I toddled from room to room."
Charlie McCarthy: "When was that? Last night?"

Charlie McCarthy: "Pink elephants take aspirin to get rid of W. C. Fields."

"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

These large liquid filled casks would certainly never be filled with alcohol. That would be illegal.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Hmm... I wonder how long my quite extensive collection of rare Malts will last if I have to share it with you guys...

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Cosette what the fuck :psyduck:

This is a girl who was introduced to us via her amazing combination of possibly poor judgment with extremely bad luck (with a dash of clumsiness mixed in for flavor).

This turn of events surprises you why, exactly?

Also @cesium: definitely Sven first. Probably beelining to his place even as we speak. Faye she'll get to if and when she feels a need (though I don't see why she'd have any wrath for Faye about this; the situation is considerably different from Marten not telling her a girl tried to pick him up while they were dating).
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am much appreciating the fast pace of this week's comics.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

LOL

I love the last panel of todays comic.

Dora with red eyes !

LOL
Carpe Diem

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I am much appreciating the fast pace of this week's comics.

If this keeps up, Marten will have thought about making half a decision by next weekend!  :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Cosette reminds me of someone I know in real life - not character-wise, but in the sense that she never looks the same twice. Some people like changing their appearance!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up