THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The biggest thing to happen this week will be:

The art change's effects on Claire, of course.
- 17 (24.3%)
How much SexyTimes talk Hannelore can stand.
- 9 (12.9%)
Some sort of insecurity thing with Marigold.
- 1 (1.4%)
Faye and Angus - the other shoe drops.
- 8 (11.4%)
Sven goes all-out emo.
- 6 (8.6%)
The return of RAVEN!
- 12 (17.1%)
The usual: Waffles, spathe ham, etc.
- 0 (0%)
Something completely out of left field.
- 17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2766-2770 (11-15 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 41495 times)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

By the way, it comes to my mind that the whole situation is very culture-colored. In many countries, including mine, such a peck on the cheek would be absolutely nothing to wander about. But I aknowledge it's a big deal in the USA.

ETA: and I really did mean "wander", it wasn't a typo for "wonder".
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Roborat

• Furry furrier

So far I am liking the changes to the drawing style, and that perspective in the second panel is not one you see very often. 

That last panel, it was perfect, and the pacing to set up the punchline was nicely done.

As for Marten, this is Emily he is dealing with, the significance of that kiss could range from friendly peck on the cheek, to marking him to warn off other potential competitors.  Good thing it was just a kiss, she could just as easily have peed on him to claim him.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I dunno, Marten might be into that...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

As for Marten, this is Emily he is dealing with, the significance of that kiss could range from friendly peck on the cheek, to marking him to warn off other potential competitors.  Good thing it was just a kiss, she could just as easily have peed on him to claim him.
Well yeah, there's that too, Emily's behaviour tends to be way too off for it to be fairly interpreted easily. But as I said, as a social phobiac I'd have handled this way more simply: "ambiguous" means "definitely no".
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The biggest thing to happen this week will be:

The art change's effects on Claire, of course.    10 (27%)
How much SexyTimes talk Hannelore can stand.    6 (16.2%)
Some sort of insecurity thing with Marigold.    1 (2.7%)
Faye and Angus - the other shoe drops.    5 (13.5%)
Sven goes all-out emo.    3 (8.1%)  <== Right idea, wrong character.
The return of RAVEN!    7 (18.9%)
The usual: Waffles, spathe ham, etc.    0 (0%)
Something completely out of left field.    5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I dunno, Marten might be into that...

You know, in that second one, I think Jeph had a premonition that he was going to eventually include Delilah in the strip...
Just another Joe like 46

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I'm just very happy that the art change has apparently mostly been reverted... Much better now!  :-)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Classic comic structure, full use of new comic format and style...

Go Jeph go!

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Oh my god Martin is STILL going on about this. He's really starting to grind my gears.

You say this as if he's been going on about it for weeks, yet it seems like only a couple of days has passed since it happened.  He's probably just sharing this story with everyone he knows because, I mean, why not?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Not even a couple of days - he's wearing the same shirt he had on the next day.  All this stuff with Hanners and Marigold and Dale and May and May and Hanners for the last few weeks?

... it's still the same day. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'm starting to think that Marten is so confused instead of just shrug it of because he actually have feelings for Emily. Like in the card.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

Merlnoooooooo :(

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Comic's up!
Faye's face in the first panel is a little bit strange, but I think that's just the angle we're viewing it from..

But art aside, this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Prediction: Next strip we'll meet Tequila Monster's cousin, Wine Demon.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

His name is Noir. 

Pinot Noir. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

greywolfe

His name is Noir. 

Pinot Noir.

I believe the label actually says 'Merlooooooo'

Jazzmaster

Not even a couple of days - he's wearing the same shirt he had on the next day.  All this stuff with Hanners and Marigold and Dale and May and May and Hanners for the last few weeks?

... it's still the same day.

What are the odds that only about 6 months have passed since the comic started?  I remember seeing them go through all of one season of winter so it's not even that impossible...

Nice to see both Marten and Faye have somebody to share their shit with.  Can't really fault either of them for having what they do on their minds.  Art looks more polished as well, and I just noticed Jeph is using white headers and footers with black text instead of the other way around.

TheEvilDog

I think Jeph once said that it was maybe a 18 months to two years (at that stage, which I think was when Marten and Dora were still together or around that time. And there has been at least one timeskip). My guess, we're looking at maybe 2 and a half years.

Regarding the comic, it looks like Jeph has gotten into the happy medium of the new style and the previous.
Also, shenanigans ahead.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I think Jeph once said that it was maybe a 18 months to two years (at that stage, which I think was when Marten and Dora were still together or around that time. And there has been at least one timeskip). My guess, we're looking at maybe 2 and a half years.

Regarding the comic, it looks like Jeph has gotten into the happy medium of the new style and the previous.
Also, shenanigans ahead.

I've seen the timeslip mentioned. I binge-read the comic when I first got into it (around this time last year, I guess), and that part seems to have escaped me. Where's the dividing line, so to speak?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

TheEvilDog

Sometime around the Holiday Season of '08, check out Dora's hair in 1302 and 1311. So I would say 1311 would be the timeskip.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Heh, I see what you did there, Jeph.

(Pintsize's head is out of round... a little shot at some of us criticizing his new artstyle, perhaps?)

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Marten's problems remind me of the one thing I'm really not fond of in QC: The near-complete lack of conflict. Nearly all of the drama is mellow, and I'm fairly sure we haven't had a 'Bad Guy' (Rather, any negative character,) since the Vespavenger. I have no real problems with melodrama, but all of the conflict we've seen has been a result of the characters being awkward or socially incompetent in some situations.

This is fine, but it all happens in a bizarely unnoticed sci-fi universe. There are just SO MANY insane, implausible things just handwaved by: Artificial Intelligence, convenient and safe space travel, efficient, Pint-sized (pun intended) death lasers, and posdibly (If Hannelore is to be believed) genetic design and cloning of superior humans. James-Bond esque adventures risking the fate of the world are a common occurence, and at least one main character's mother is a supervillian. Limbs can be entirely replaced with cybernetic duplicates (Which apparently function better than the genetic kind), and this leads me to believe that immortality via robot-suit shouldn't be all that far away. Robot hordes are apparently marching for civil rights, and there's an entire dorm room somewhere just chock full of promiscuous lesbians.
Not only is all of this almost irrelevant to the plot, it gives me whiplash every time it's brought up in detail. I have trouble caring about Marten bumbling around with a quirky intern when I keep getting reminded about the insane, far more interesting things happening around it.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I just realized that Hannermom is basically the QCverse's Lex Luthor, but without any major opposition I guess she doesn't see the need to escalate to world domination.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

It's far easier to control a world that doesn't know it's being controlled.

Also this comic right here. Everyone needs a best friend like that.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I thought Faye and Angus had a fancy dinner date tonight? Instead, Faye and Marten are going to drink wine and talk about their problems? Not that I am complaining, I love the Faye/Marten storylines :-D

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Hm, art style seems to have returned to its previous incarnation.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

T

Marten's problems remind me of the one thing I'm really not fond of in QC: The near-complete lack of conflict. Nearly all of the drama is mellow, and I'm fairly sure we haven't had a 'Bad Guy' (Rather, any negative character,) since the Vespavenger. I have no real problems with melodrama, but all of the conflict we've seen has been a result of the characters being awkward or socially incompetent in some situations.

This is fine, but it all happens in a bizarely unnoticed sci-fi universe. There are just SO MANY insane, implausible things just handwaved by: Artificial Intelligence, convenient and safe space travel, efficient, Pint-sized (pun intended) death lasers, and posdibly (If Hannelore is to be believed) genetic design and cloning of superior humans. James-Bond esque adventures risking the fate of the world are a common occurence, and at least one main character's mother is a supervillian. Limbs can be entirely replaced with cybernetic duplicates (Which apparently function better than the genetic kind), and this leads me to believe that immortality via robot-suit shouldn't be all that far away. Robot hordes are apparently marching for civil rights, and there's an entire dorm room somewhere just chock full of promiscuous lesbians.
Not only is all of this almost irrelevant to the plot, it gives me whiplash every time it's brought up in detail. I have trouble caring about Marten bumbling around with a quirky intern when I keep getting reminded about the insane, far more interesting things happening around it.

Seems like this is the world where Lex Luthor (Hanners mom) won.
No more conflicts because the world already is subjugated to her will.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I thought Faye and Angus had a fancy dinner date tonight? Instead, Faye and Marten are going to drink wine and talk about their problems? Not that I am complaining, I love the Faye/Marten storylines :-D
Considering how Angus reacted the last time he came in on Faye drunk... Paddle steamer, meet Niagara Falls?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Considering how Angus reacted the last time he came in on Faye drunk... Paddle steamer, meet Niagara Falls?
Paddle steamer = Angus, Niagara Falls = Faye? In that case, my bet is on Faye :mrgreen:
But you are right, there might be problems ahead. Faye may have forgotten the date with Angus. When Angus comes to pick her up, Faye and Marten are drunk as skunks.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Took me a while to find it. This site seriously needs a search function; it's going on 3000 comics.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Sometime around the Holiday Season of '08, check out Dora's hair in 1302 and 1311. So I would say 1311 would be the timeskip.

Makes sense. Thanks for that.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Took me a while to find it. This site seriously needs a search function; it's going on 3000 comics.
The QC Wiki page is probably the closest you'll get. Good for the more memorable pages and quotes.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

there's an entire dorm room somewhere just chock full of promiscuous lesbians.

Wait what? Do you mean Bailey&amp;friends?

(Prediction: as both are drunk, terrible things happen.)
(Now that I have said it, it won't happen. You are welcome. I accept your tokens of thanks in unmarked 5€-bills or alcohol.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Which raises the question: from what direction does the steamer approach the falls?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

it looks like Jeph has gotten into the happy medium of the new style and the previous.
I'd say there wasn't a new style.  He wanted to try drawing the same style, but in a faster, looser way - that affected the result, but he has got it back under control now.

Also, classic Marten/Faye interaction coming up - to confound those who felt that the comic was straying too far from its roots.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Marten is a robo-phrenologist, it seems.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Marten is a robo-phrenologist, it seems.
Better than a retro-phrenologist I guess….

Or was that what he was doing with the frying pan?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schwungrad

Crisis Wine instead of Emergency Bourbon? Is this a sign of the characters actually getting older and developing adult tastes in-universe?

greywolfe

Crisis Wine instead of Emergency Bourbon? Is this a sign of the characters actually getting older and developing adult tastes in-universe?

The crisis wine is closely followed by the whiskey of indecision and finally the tequila of bad misjudgements

Schwungrad

tequila of bad misjudgements
Bad misjudgement? I think you seriously misunderestimate the pleonasmic tautology of this phrase.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Bad misjudgement? I think you seriously misunderestimate the pleonasmic tautology of this phrase.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

The crisis wine is closely followed by the whiskey of indecision and finally the tequila of bad misjudgements

For both their sakes, I am rather hoping this doesn't get to the "vodka of seemed like a good idea at the time".

That stuff strips....
(click to show/hide)
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I'd go with  "Apathy Vodka"
(click to show/hide)

FayeDouble

• Not quite a lurker
  • There's a fine art to goofing off

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

My dad had a sequel to that line that's always stuck with me: Five tequila, six tequila, seven tequila, morgue.
Then again, I'm not much of a drinker.
A broken heart that never heals is what you'll have if love was real.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Fenriswolf

The lack of conflict and bad guys is a bonus in my opinion. And the futuristic aspect is just a nice touch for me - a bit like The Mighty Boosh's mix of retro and futuristicness.  :mrgreen:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Alcohol's a poison, but sometimes there's things inside you that you need to kill.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jazzmaster

Marten's problems remind me of the one thing I'm really not fond of in QC: The near-complete lack of conflict. Nearly all of the drama is mellow, and I'm fairly sure we haven't had a 'Bad Guy' (Rather, any negative character,) since the Vespavenger.

I had finally just gotten around to watching FLCL the other day.  Once I saw Haruko, I immediately understood where Jeph pulled the Vespavenger idea from.

I'm not sure there is a total lack of conflict.  The recent conversation between Faye and Sven comes to mind.  Though, you do make a point, perhaps if they argued just a little more and every near-conflict wasn't ended with unnecessary apologies, we'd see a tad more character and plot development. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

For both their sakes, I am rather hoping this doesn't get to the "vodka of seemed like a good idea at the time".

That stuff strips....
(click to show/hide)

Just so long as they stick clear of the Rum of Recriminaion
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zwammy

That's what I like about it. It's character driven, but not wildly over-the-top crazy stuff - just people trying to live their lives. A little music, humor, and friends.

Exactly. There are enough crazy, over the top things going on in other comics. When Jeph does visit these topics, he's gratifyingly low key, and has the characters act like normal people, even with all the background wacky. I like it. I like caring about Marten and the quirky intern, I don't need to hear about crazy antics of world-dominating James-Bondish super-science bad guys. If that's what I was looking for, I'd watch a giant robot anime, or read Schlock Mercenary.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up