Marten Mainly Mumbles Methodiclly
Steve Swallows Serially
Battling Bianchi Battlezone
Tai Terrorizes Tall Twin
Jeph Jacques Japes
Waffling Waffles Wander Wonderingly
Butts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2796-2800 (22-26 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 155407 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

The other thing is, I wonder what sort of connections Marten might have through everyone at Smif... might he be able to actually get a side gig writing about music, that actually pays (unlike his aborted blog), and might develop into something stable?

Edit: And apparently I'm the one that's pushed the thread into big thread territory.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Unlurked! I am unlurked!
*waves*
This storyline is creating so many new forumites (including myself) and I love it.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

I really feel like everyone (both in the forums and in the comic) is blowing the ethical dilemma WAY out of proportion.  There is definitely a standard of conduct between coworkers in the workplace, and this might be an issue between two people in a large corporation, if it were a supervisor/subordinate relationship that existed fairly high up the food chain. 

They're working at a university library.

Due to his lack of anything remotely resembling a Library Sciences degree, Marten is at best some sort of generic library assistant.  I'd posit there's a pretty good chance that his job duties involve little more than what he showed the interns in the montage - basic library and facility upkeep duties.  I seriously doubt he has ANY administrative duties at all, those would fall to Tai, especially anything involving hiring/firing or scheduling (if the interns are paid, I can guarantee that is controlled by someone above her, probably the HR unit of whatever department the library falls under).  If I had to guess, the interns are doing the exact same thing that Marten is, and he's only marginally "above" them because he's a permanent employee and has been there longer.  His actual degree of control over them is likely limited to having them run minor errands or something, and I really can't see how dating one of them could present any kind of conflict of interest.

phLOx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'm afraid we are being set up for disappointment this time round. There will be some interference and then another few months before it comes back to this. I'm hoping that I am to be proven wrong!

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

When Claire stopped just being an obsessive book nerd and started to really develop as a character, I had a soft spot for her, particularly after she came out as transgendered (and thank you all the Questionables here who opened my eyes to their world (and indeed sometimes to their own lives), for the good and the bad). You just wanted her to be happy (but not happy enough to actually kill her).

Chances are good that one or the other (or both) will have anxiety meltdowns, but in this moment, I think Hannelore says it best.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Claire's face in panel three of today's strip is really freaking great.  The emotion I'm getting out of it is just spot on.  And it's the main reason I'll be a bit upset if this goes south way too soon.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Wowser! Almost 5 pages since yesterday and its growing like Kudzu.

On the question regarding how long since rejoining joining the forums and since first reading the strip - 3 years last week and 2004? Thsts not right. {pulls out old HDD and checks archive} Yikes!!! {Krazy Larry} Looks like I have been an on again off again reader for a very long time.  :roll:

On today's strip - Dayum they are cute.

Eh, the intern thing. I think he's been using that as an excuse to disguise the fact that he's just plain weirded out by Emily.

Lest ye forget Claire has said the exact same thing about dating coworkers. They are both are people who stick with their principles so I can see a strong and very close friendship developing here with the couple thing being put off till one graduates or the other gets a career job.  I'm still hoping that he [or at least Tai in his stead] is checking the schools job postings at leas semi regularly. That is how I got my night school teaching position.

As for Gabby? It's the obscurity.

Warning - while you were typing 5 10 16  a whole lot of new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post yet again ... again ... again ... again.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

Long time lurker, I'm one of those who have finally decided to join now all this squee is happening. I for one am delighted with it and happy that it feels like a natural character development, and would really like to show my huge appreciation to Mr Jacques for that. I really hope it's 'real' and not a dream sequence or whatever, because, as others have said, it's precisely the right shove Marten needs.

If memory serves Marten found two of the senior members of SMIF in a rather 'ahem' loving embrace in the library, so I really don't think the arguments about dating interns hold up too well in that place - but it may well be that he sees it as a real opportunity to get out of the library (which he is beginning to despair at I feel), and get some forward momentum in his life.

I'd also like to echo other people's comments about how well-developed a character Claire has become, and how helpful people on here have been with regards to explaining their world as a transgendered person. The whole concept is not something I've come across too much in my life and it's great that I now understand it a bit better than I used to. Mad props.
Quack Quack.

Origamigryphon

• Not quite a lurker

Plot twist: Marten pukes in Claire's lap.
You're only young once, but you can be immature FOREVER

phLOx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Not so far fetched, it won't be the first time!
More important question: Is Penelope actually Pizza Girl?!

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

I've been reading since ~either 2013 or 2012.  I joined the forums a few months ago.

vforvancouver

• I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Jeph Jacques, you magnificent bastard.

Now I want to date someone as cute as Claire. I was so happy being a single guy, dammit...
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

katharsys

• Not quite a lurker

Coming out of long standing hiding just to go squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

My eyes are even leaking just a little bit.

I have been wanting to see today's page since Claire was first introduced.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Hmph.  Only 5 4 1/2 pages since skritch turned snuggle?  What's wrong with you people? 

:evil: :angel: :police: :claireface:

Happily waiting for either an explosion or an implosion. 

Back to the bunker!  I brought some cheap Oktoberfest from the store...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

phLOx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Coming out of long standing hiding just to go squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

My eyes are even leaking just a little bit.

I have been wanting to see today's page since Claire was first introduced.

Exact same situation or me! Been waiting for this and gonna be squeeing until the next one. Then our dreams may or may not be shattered...  :cry:
Next on the list...Clinton and Hanners....

Carl-E

• Awakened

Only if he autoclaves his hand first...

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Hmph.  Only 5 4 1/2 pages since skritch turned snuggle?  What's wrong with you people? 

From what I've learnt the Oktoberfest is quite expensive. And I didn't know one could buy pieces of it.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Only if he autoclaves his hand first...

Which one?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened

From what I've learnt the Oktoberfest is quite expensive. And I didn't know one could buy pieces of it.  :mrgreen:

Sorry, Oktoberfest beer.  After all, I'm working at a beer distributor.  And though the good ones are pricey, there are some cheap ones. 

Yuengling Oktoberfest, $25 / case.  That's about a buck a beer.  We sold out yesterday.   :roll:

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

Long time lurker-but today's comic-and the ensuing discussion-inspired me to actually comment. First, to get it out of the way:
SQUEEEEEEE

Ahem, okay.
The other thing: Marten is drunk, but he doesn't appear to be "accidentally eat an armadillo" drunk. I mean, he still seems reasonably in control of his faculties, and aware of what's going on around him. With that said, if a girl is nuzzling your neck and saying "don't ever stop", you would have to be Tequila Monster drunk, or worse, not to get that message.

I refuse to believe this will result in anything less than seventy years of marriage, followed by peacefully passing away within an hour of each other.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

But only beer from Munich is allowed to be called Oktoberfestbier. It is actually a registered trademark, and at least in the EU a Protected Geographical Indication. And at the Oktoberfest the beer costs around 10€ per Maß (litre).
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jon.nichols

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

This comic is so damn cute.  I can't wait to see what happens as I've been rooting for Marten/Claire since she started following him around like a little lost puppy dog.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Unlurked! I am unlurked!

Achievement unlurked!  :)

In other news, I may emit a squee...  :D

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

All I have to say about the recent comments is SQUEEEEEEE.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

But only beer from Munich is allowed to be called Oktoberfestbier. It is actually a registered trademark, and at least in the EU a Protected Geographical Indication. And at the Oktoberfest the beer costs around 10€ per Maß (litre).
I found myself at Stuttgarter frühlingsfest this year, which is like Oktoberfest but in April. 10€ a litre there too... t'was a good night.

Warning - while you were typing 3 new sqees have been squeed. You may wish to unlurk some more.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

[...]

as for two...
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2768

They look like the same walls to me?

I forgot that they moved after Ellen commented on how blue their walls were.

Not so far fetched, it won't be the first time!

The only time I can remember is when Faye vomitted into Marten's lap.  I can't think of a time when Marten did something like that.

Didn't PG deliver pizza to Penelope?
Francisco

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1146

Faye got lapbarfed after Marten got food poisoning.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

All the lurkers and other assorted quiet people and newbies makes me happy! We have fresh boots! Oi! Go police call the parking lot! (This obscure cultural joke will make sense to MAYBE three people on the entire forum. Maybe.)

I would like to point out about the comments from Snorggie that platonic touch is kinda uncommon in the United States in general, especially between members of the opposite genders who are heterosexual (as I've gotten more involved in the LGBTQ community I've noticed there's usually a bit more flex there, but not much) buuuuuuuuut as someone who has participated in platonic touch with female friends of all description, I have NEVER had someone with a platonic interest into me tuck and nuzzle into my neck and under my chin like Claire is in panel 4, that is, in, my in my experience verbal shorthand for "<3~"
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Only a Litre? Looking at my Beer stein shelf at the section with the glass bierkrugs arrayed thereon I have a 300ml, 500ml, 1litre and a 2 litre Monster that was originally filled with Spatenbräu that my cousin bought for me at Oktoberfest a "few" years ago.

Warning - while you were reading another brewery was bought up by Anheuser-Busch. You may want to cry over your beer.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

efrumttr

• Not quite a lurker

The more I look at the comic, the more I think that Marten's face in panel 3 has a definite look of uncertainty--like he's not sure if Claire's 'what are you even doing to me?' might be a negative question (i.e. we need to slow down) rather than a positive one (i.e. this feels so freaking amazing). Then in panel 4 I definitely see relief on his face once those doubts are clarified and resolved with Claire's adorable nuzzling.

Thus:

I refuse to believe this will result in anything less than seventy years of marriage, followed by peacefully passing away within an hour of each other.

:-P

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

hmmm, I bet Marten and Claire will start dating, then, once Marten is taken, Faye and Angus will break up. Thus preserving the "never the twain shall meet" path that the universe has for Marten and Faye. This pattern will continue for the rest of their lives. While one is with a partner the other will be single.

Damn those twain!

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Long time lurker-but today's comic-and the ensuing discussion-inspired me to actually comment. First, to get it out of the way:
SQUEEEEEEE

Ahem, okay.
The other thing: Marten is drunk, but he doesn't appear to be "accidentally eat an armadillo" drunk. I mean, he still seems reasonably in control of his faculties, and aware of what's going on around him. With that said, if a girl is nuzzling your neck and saying "don't ever stop", you would have to be Tequila Monster drunk, or worse, not to get that message.

Hey, armadillo is delicious.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I initially squeed but, after reading the comments here, I have come to the conclusion that those suggesting it's a dream are partially right -- I think it is a dream but it's only the last two strips that are the dream.  I suspect that, when she said, "Mistakes were made," she realised going back to Marten's was not something she wanted to do that night.  She's either going to wake up in her own bed and wonder how much of the night was real or she's having this day dream in front of them and she's going to be brought back to reality when Faye or Marten asks her what she meant by "Don't ever stop."

There are two reasons why I think it's a dream:
  • It's out of character for Marten.
  • The colour of the walls is wrong.

Huh. Seriously? Wall coloring wrong?  Check I must.

It is out of character for Marten, even if he's comfortable around Claire.  Dude isn't that smooth or forward in anything.  And after his reactions to Emily....I dunno.  Hell, he seemed massively down when he realized Emily's "everyone got this" letter wasn't just for him.  Then he mulled over a "kiss" forever. 

Everything about this just screams friendship.  And I like it that way actually.  Everyone has a BFF.  Not sure Steve is much of a BFF.  Too much history with Dora for that.  There's Faye, but prior romantic history there as well.  Meh...

Bah, I'm just cranky because I want more Emily and I've been missing Pintsize.

------

As for drunken Marten being "intimate" here with Claire, I have my own theories.  The drunken socializer.  When sober, I absolutely HATE being touched.  Major pet-peeve.  Also decently introverted.  Get me drunk though, and I schmooze.  And not just that, I get way super feely with people, even strangers, more so with friends.  I basically become the hugging panda bear.  Embarrassing really, but true.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 09:52 by Madmartigan »

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Claire's face in panel three of today's strip is really freaking great.  The emotion I'm getting out of it is just spot on.

She is experiencing a revelation. This is something she never knew existed.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

Only a Litre? Looking at my Beer stein shelf at the section with the glass bierkrugs arrayed thereon I have a 300ml, 500ml, 1litre and a 2 litre Monster
Per Litre. Doesn't mean you're limited to that.

Didn't PG deliver pizza to Penelope?
So she claimed.

ETA link relevant to tinytext
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 10:12 by HES »

VeraLapsa

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm Trans :D Go Claire!

Please don't be a dream! Please don't be a dream! I totally want this ship to sail. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If anyone ever wants to ask me questions about being a trans woman message me @VeraLapsa on twitter :) I'm open to all questions :)

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

SQUEEEEEEE

Ahem, okay.

I'm not saying it isn't, but it would still be an intense evening if you *accidentally* ate one.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

SQUEEEEEEE

Ahem, okay.

I'm not saying it isn't, but it would still be an intense evening if you *accidentally* ate one.
Especially if you somehow forgot to incapacitate it first; them suckers are mean.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Smallest

• Curry sauce

when Faye or Marten asks her what she meant by "Don't ever stop."

"Oh, Doctor Jones..."

I wonder if drunk Marten somehow realizes he's cheating on Emily in some way, or that he's now getting involved with 2 girls yet again.
I get that he's drunk so it maybe doesn't have to make sense, but what? He has been pretty firm about how he'll reject Emily, especially when he talked to Faye. I don't think he's too interested (and I don't think she'll be hurt. I mean, more mice for her!).

Also, someone else linked this, and I'm not sure why anymore (I opened them all to the side and forgot about it), but it's also? another reference for very light blue walls (and they are still blue in the latest). Also yesterday, but the other details (Faye, doorframe, lamp) detract from the overwhelming brightness.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 10:30 by Smallest »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, latest new people!

Some things you should know in advance: first, QC is a comic about people doing stupid things. Claire is smarter than the average character but remember that if she does something stupid it won't be an attack on trans people in general.

The other thing, closely related, is that Jeph has done a widely praised good job at making Claire an individual, and not The Trans Character. Anything she says or does is just her and not a Message.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Hybris

• Not quite a lurker
  • U-17 Silent Hunter

I guess I don't see the how the whole Clare\Marten is such a popular idea, though that might be because I see Clare as a poorly built character more for Sesame Street shock value with her being trans (Yes I am aware of the admins post about this but this is still my opinion on the character) then as a serious long time 2 second line character like Raven or PenPen. Now is she as bad in all respects as Emily is? No not close.

I'm putting money on this being a dream and Clare waking up nuzzling Pintsize who out of habit is being half way decent for reasons unknown.
"Overkill is better then being killed" General FPS rule of thumb

"I'm back bitches!"

davedig

• Plantmonster

First time posting as well, well, second,  and yeah yesterday's comic and today's made me super happy. I think I started reading a good while ago, back when Marigold kissed Angus and started lurking around here when Claire opened up to Marin. I sent Jeff a good email of support for that for making her a character first before revealing that part of her backstory.

Very much hoping this isn't a dream, I mean whatever happens happens as long as tese two comics are real.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Hybris, you registered a _long_ time ago... way before me... which makes me dis-inclined to blow you off the way I usually would blow off someone who says "well that's just my opinion" and doesn't back it up.

If you've been reading this comic since you registered in 2005, you have seen lots and lots of characters built and rolled out over the years.

I'm curious what is it about this character that you consider "poorly-built" as contrasted to another character that has received similar amounts of screen time that you consider "well-built".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Marin  [...]  Jeff

I'm guessing you are referring to the character called Marten in a comic drawn by someone called Jeph.

Since you must have read the correct forms to know the names, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce them correctly.  Yes, we care about spelling people's names right here, as a matter of politeness and respect.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I guess I don't see the how the whole Clare\Marten is such a popular idea, though that might be because I see Clare as a poorly built character more for Sesame Street shock value with her being trans (Yes I am aware of the admins post about this but this is still my opinion on the character) then as a serious long time 2 second line character like Raven or PenPen. Now is she as bad in all respects as Emily is? No not close.

I'm confused as to how her being trans was played for shock value? I mean, it had a dramatic reveal, but not very, and it was the first time she told one of the main cast (or the audience), so the nervous going out of her way to tell him was understandable. Marten and Clinton didn't make in-comic drama about it directly following that either, which helped to mute the idea of it just being a token character for kicks or a (transphobic) laugh.

Lots of people here hate characters (you're not the only one annoyed by Emily, and then there's the against Marigold/Faye/etc? crowds), but I don't follow your reasoning behind it.

Alphawolf55

• Plantmonster

I'm putting money on this being a dream and Clare waking up nuzzling Pintsize who out of habit is being half way decent for reasons unknown.

I mean I won't say that Claire is a shock value trans girl because she's clearly not, but I can see how someone might be a bit skeptical of Jeph at first since the way he introduced Gabby, Claire and Emily seemed a bit...off and the way he's done nothing with Gabby as well.

I can see why people like Marten/Clare, it's a cute couple, people like clare and the details speak to them personally. My only issue is that people are making HUGE assumptions about Marten that might blow up in everyones face. Just because Marten isn't transphobic doesn't mean he wants to date transpeople or even if he does want to date transpeople, date Clare in particular.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

That's an interesting juxtaposition to see Is It Cold In Here?'s post right before Hybris.

Hybris, I have found Claire to be a complex character, and extraordinarily well written. I'm not used to seeing trans people portrayed as people first, with the trans part being a facet rather than the sole component of their personality. That's not something the media generally does, and it's absolutely delightful to see it here. Here's the only other thing I will say in response to you:

Trans people are not here to shock you. If you have a problem with us being portrayed (sympathetically) in the media, then it's exactly that:your problem.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Well. Off to the bomb shelter. 'Cause this post is radioactive.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

Welcome, latest new people!

Some things you should know in advance: first, QC is a comic about people doing stupid things. Claire is smarter than the average character but remember that if she does something stupid it won't be an attack on trans people in general.

The other thing, closely related, is that Jeph has done a widely praised good job at making Claire an individual, and not The Trans Character. Anything she says or does is just her and not a Message.

Whether it was aimed at me or not, I might be guilty of implying this in my first post and would just like to say I understand both of those points - I oft forget of Claire as trans until I remind myself, and that, I think, is kind of the point? (apologies if not) She is a good, rounded character with her own foibles and issues, and far from just 'the trans one'. I have huge respect for Jeph in this.

For anyone (like me) who wants to go back and find the Wedding arc it starts roundabout here.

Really looking forward to being part of the forum, and please, pick me up on anything if I make a tit out of myself.
Quack Quack.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up