THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about the new comic??  (Read 26278 times)

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
What about the new comic??
« on: 21 Sep 2014, 19:29 »

So...haven't been here in a while...so what's the scoop on the new comic on Thursday?
SQUEEZE BOX

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
Re: What about the new comic??
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 20:43 »

I love how totally nonchalant that new comic announcement was.

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2014, 21:38 »

So...haven't been here in a while...so what's the scoop on the new comic on Thursday?
Also wondering this, have been here lately.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2014, 21:39 »

So say we all.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2014, 22:34 »

I remember seeing mention of it (or at least the possibility of it) somewhere before?  Maybe patreon?

UPDATE:  Yes:
A WHOLE NEW COMIC OH MY GOSH
$3,000 per month
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHAAAAT

Yes, it's true. If we meet this goal, I will start publishing an all-new comic strip along side QC in the fall of 2014. This is something I've been thinking about for years, and Patreon can make this happen.

So do we share the same COMIC forum and have QCWCDT and XXWCDT threads?

Hoping for an indietits/city face inspired one :)

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2014, 22:49 »

I'm thinkin' it's possibly going to be Sweet Tits based, but having said that, it won't be.

On-topic though: d'awwww. Blushy lil duckling.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2014, 00:11 »

If the Patreon comic is only for subscribers, I think it would be inappropriate to have a discussion thread about it here - most of the members won't be able to view the comic.

Poor Claire. I think Faye is being a bit unkind here, but then again that's Faye.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2014, 01:47 »

If the Patreon comic is only for subscribers, I think it would be inappropriate to have a discussion thread about it here - most of the members won't be able to view the comic.
If it were Patreon only, why would he announce it under the comic and not include the caveat "but you won't see it if you aren't a Patreon for QC"?

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:02 »

To me it also looks like the new comic would be free to read for everyone like QC because of this announcement. I just think Patreon backers have already had more information about the comic and the development process, right? (Maybe someone who is on Patreon can confirm; of course without divulging any secret information.)

Edit: I am not so sure anymore. I just checked the website again and the Patreon banner at the top explicitly lists the new comic as one of the things you get for subscribing. Furthermore, on Patreon it says that you will get access to the stretch goals for pledging at least 1$ a month - and the new comic is one of the stretch goals. Of course this is still ambiguous, but it could mean that the new comic is really just for Patreon backers. I would be very sad if this was the case.
Maybe if the new comic is really only accessible to those who pay, a few people could at least share their opinion on it with the forum (like a book review), so it would be easier to decide whether to subscribe or not?
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2014, 02:14 by Mlle Germain »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:11 »

I believe it was a goal, that if he reached a certain level of funding, he would start another comic.

He has apparently reached said level of funding.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:30 »

The new comic will be live and free for all, but Patreon peoples get the sneak peeks (a couple of months back we saw most of the rough sketches, but even Jeph covered up the last panel). Short answer, it has nothing to do with QC, Deathmole or Sweet-Tits/Yelling Bird/Indietits. That is all :evil:

That being said, that is all that we saw of it thus far, until the big Twitter reveal today :(
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2014, 08:12 »

The new comic will be live and free for all, but Patreon peoples get the sneak peeks (a couple of months back we saw most of the rough sketches, but even Jeph covered up the last panel). Short answer, it has nothing to do with QC, Deathmole or Sweet-Tits/Yelling Bird/Indietits. That is all :evil:

That being said, that is all that we saw of it thus far, until the big Twitter reveal today :(

I'm one of JJ's patreon-patrons, and as far as I recall it will be called "Alice in Sunderland" who is an electrician. (Unless I dreamed this -- going back I can't find the reference.)
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2014, 11:25 »

I'm one of JJ's patreon-patrons, and as far as I recall it will be called "Alice in Sunderland" who is an electrician. (Unless I dreamed this -- going back I can't find the reference.)

I don't know if we're meant to discuss it. But I believe the name had to change because it was taken. So we now know about as much as everyone else.

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:19 »

thedapperbear.com has been Jeph's for almost 6 years, but doesn't seem to be in use.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:28 »

Re: Patreon, is there an express or understood agreement when you become a patron that you won't share any news you heard with non-patrons?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:45 »

I think its more like "I'm going to show you some stuff that you can tell people about but which isn't going to reveal too much". It's an open secret, but we only know as much as Jeph has shown us, for example the rough sketches from around July, but with the key part blocked by Jeph's hand.
We can talk about what we've seen, but at the same time there's an unwritten rule to not post pictures as a general courtesy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:51 »

Yeah, that sounds fair.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2014, 19:07 »

As others have said, I *think* the new comic will itself be as openly distributed as QC, but patreons get a little more behind-the-scenes stuff... sort of like the little extras that Jeph sometimes posts on his tumblr for QC.

The new comic I think would merit its own WCDT here until and unless Jeph decides to allow a different forum to be created.

Perhaps it would get its own subforum under COMIC? I'm going to guess that's going to be up to Jeph and/or the Mods

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2014, 19:30 »

I think FunkyTuba is correct. Untill a new forum or sub-forum is created for the new comic we'll just have to leave it to the mods to decide what to do. Oh and  :claireface: Is pretty damn cute when she blushes.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

trstn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2014, 00:11 »

well let's dig:
Code: [Select]
# dig ALICEGROVE.COM @NS1.HOVER.COM
[..]
ALICEGROVE.COM.         900     IN      A       66.6.44.4

..that's tumblr .. that's a smart idea, but does not work that way (as long tumblr configures your site on their servers ...)
They have nice error pages ..

Jeph, I'm looking forward to the new comic  ;) and that you solve out the site stuff, good luck!

But this DNS magic made me smile :)

greetings from the depths of lurkverse,
trstn

EDIT  oct 1 2014: Ahh, it's a tumblr page. Nice.

« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2014, 23:47 by trstn »
I'm not an English native. I do check spelling and grammar up to my abilities. If you find mistakes, do not throw them at me. That'll be ridiculous...

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2014, 23:59 »

Useless use of root there.

trstn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2014, 04:48 »

Useless use of root there.
Quasi correct! It's a VM and I stripped bash prompt before pasting... no roots have been harmed.

I'm not an English native. I do check spelling and grammar up to my abilities. If you find mistakes, do not throw them at me. That'll be ridiculous...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:25 »

This is more directed at Paul: the link at the top that has the Alice Grove banner goes to QC, not to alicegrove.com.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:35 »

Yes - I only changed the image (which was enough trouble, given that I don't have access to the server file system and so can only upload smileys...  :wink: ).  In any case, it will take me much longer to reprogram the page header (twice, because one theme has different base code from the others) to enable there to be two links from two images, and I need to check if that might also make future updates of the forum fail.  Honestly, I'm more likely to remove the link from there given that I have put explicit links in the forum list below.

I'll look at it soon.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:43 »

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/Smileys/qc/QCAG2.jpg

I see what you did there  :-D
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #25 on: 01 Oct 2014, 15:46 »

Clunky (all the ../../.. stuff in the URL in the code or CSS - the themes do it differently), but hey, it works.  I've done something similar to give the mods their different star replacements as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #26 on: 02 Oct 2014, 03:21 »

I was being too pessimistic.  I've already sorted the links from the header images in the default theme, and the light one will follow shortly.  The "old" theme will be harder, though.

EDIT: light theme also done (not as similar as I thought, but no problem).  The "old" theme will definitely take more work, though; this reminds me of why I decided on moving to a new theme rather than continuing to improve the old one or using it as a base for alternatives!

EDIT_EDIT: old theme also done.  That was tricky, as the editing interface for the code chose to omit the specific line I needed to change!!!  I don't know why, but I managed to work round it without apparently breaking anything.  In passing I also fixed a bug that made two specific characters on the home page appear black instead of off-white.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2014, 04:53 by pwhodges »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #27 on: 09 Oct 2014, 08:56 »

I've got to say, from the few strips so far, this has more the feel of a long-duration continuous visual novel than an episodic story like Questionable Content.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:21 »

I give up.  The comic seems nice and all, but I still can't get it to load most of the time.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:34 »

At present it's just Tumblr pages, as far as I can tell (its IP address is in the range used by Tumblr).  Do you normally have trouble with Tumblr?

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2014, 07:56 »

At present it's just Tumblr pages, as far as I can tell (its IP address is in the range used by Tumblr).  Do you normally have trouble with Tumblr?
I'm having issues with the Tumblr page as well.  It seems to work sometimes, but not even remotely consistently.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2014, 08:33 »

What I mean is, do you have issues with other Tumblr pages as well?  But the problem is almost certainly slow access to the server that supplies ads, as opposed to the comic itself; you can block this (and hence the delay) using AdBlock or some similar browser add-in; but if you do, then please consider using an alternative way to provide Jeph with the revenue he will lose.

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 05 Mar 2015, 12:30 »

herpdy derp doodly

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #33 on: 05 Mar 2015, 12:57 »

Thank you for your bizarrefascinating contribution.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #34 on: 05 Mar 2015, 13:11 »

Quick! Does anybody speak derp!? He may need our help!
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #35 on: 05 Mar 2015, 15:08 »

Shern de shorn de herpdy derp doodly!

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 05 Mar 2015, 20:01 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 06 Mar 2015, 07:42 »

Thank you for your bizarrefascinating contribution.
Edited a redundant post.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #38 on: 06 Mar 2015, 08:27 »

This thread serves no current function whatever, and has been painlessly put to sleep. 
No posts were injured in the termination of this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up