THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 11:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 226138 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I really don't see Claire moving in with Marten, if she decided against kissing him when he was drunk. She is much too cautious and sensible to do something as rash as that.

Oh, it wouldn't happen for a while in my suggested scenario. Indeed, I'd prefer for at least the first formal date to have passed before that happens. Mostly because I'd find the tension and awkwardness of two sort-of-romantic partners living together but not being together-together just yet intensely funny.

Because I'm sadistic like that.  :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

(Left work early because seasons suck and a rather nasty cold has felt it needs my lungs to live in.)

Regardless of how Marten ended up in Claire's kitchen eating pancakes, because homemade pancakes are better than diner pancakes period, hopefully her mom has the tact to recognize these two potentials may want some privacy to discuss things and gracefully bow out for a moment.  Once the talking is done, THEN pester her daughter about it.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

In the interest of contributing on our path to 20 pages, I'll toss this out.:

I think Our Benevolent Comic Overlord is going to string us along for another week or two.  We have too much going on to wrap it up easily without doing to wall o' text that he seems to have gotten away from.  We have the previous drama of drunken flirting and almost-smooches, the new and added complication of Claire's mom now knowing Marten, and we'll need at least a comic or two of Claire-mom's input and Jeph telling us how much of the previously existing drama Claire-mom is aware of. 

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Not to mention Clinton popping out like an overprotective jack-in-the-box.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

I think Our Benevolent Comic Overlord is going to string us along for another week or two. ...

Yup, I think that's the most likely result too.  Not putting any hopes out there today ;-)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I think Our Benevolent Comic Overlord is going to string us along for another week or two. ...

Yup, I think that's the most likely result too.  Not putting any hopes out there today ;-)

No, tonight's strip will probably circle back to one of the other characters, and we'll see the developments/consequences/fallout of last night's on Monday.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

At this point a thanksgiving timeline isn't out of possibility. They brunch, Faye-Angus drama, Dora-Sven drama, pintsize does something inappropriate, then Marten-Claire date with a kiss goodnight around turkey day

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage

I've just noted how apologetic Marten's body language is in the last panel. He's pointing at Claire's mother; he's very obviously saying: "Don't blame me! She made me do it!"
~~~~

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

No, tonight's strip will probably circle back to one of the other characters, and we'll see the developments/consequences/fallout of last night's on Monday.

I like your optimism :-)  QC has been the high point of my week so far - the rest of it has been crap - so whatever is posted today will be grand :-)  (I work in the federal bureaucracy in Australia - for the last year, it feels like we've been working for Lord Voldemort).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I just have to say that I love the polls and their options- kudos to whoever does them!

They are harder than they look, trust me.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Since NoHam in the QC-verse is relatively small, it's possible that he just walked over there to ask her out for pancakes, and got pulled in by mom.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I like your optimism :-)  QC has been the high point of my week so far - the rest of it has been crap - so whatever is posted today will be grand :-)  (I work in the federal bureaucracy in Australia - for the last year, it feels like we've been working for Lord Voldemort).

You have my condolences. I'd been wondering if it was as bad as it looked from here.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

You have my condolences. I'd been wondering if it was as bad as it looked from here.

It is probably worse than it looks, although I think we are just playing catch-up with the US and UK (with apologies to anyone who thinks things are ok in those countries, but WTF!?!)  Its the breathtaking stupidity that really fucks with my head...

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It is probably worse than it looks, although I think we are just playing catch-up with the US and UK (with apologies to anyone who thinks things are ok in those countries, but WTF!?!)  Its the breathtaking stupidity that really fucks with my head...

No apology needed (at least on my account). It's not one of our better exports. :P

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I just have to say that I love the polls and their options- kudos to whoever does them!

This is the first week I made polls in a WCDT, so thanks! Normally someone else does them (and most of the times, I avoid going upstairs to the comic threads cause the wild speculating feels like I'm spoilering myself...).

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's only a diner if A: it's open 24 hours, and B: you can get pancakes (or a cheeseburger) any damn time you walk in. Otherwise, it's just a restaurant, or a luncheonette.
I saw this and immediately thought "someone's from Jersey". I then checked your profile and...yep!

(If I ever leave Jersey for good, I'll have to go to a diner every time I visit)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

Not to mention Clinton popping out like an overprotective jack-in-the-box.

POW, right in the kisser!
Quack Quack.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

You know, as a random thought re: Clinton's overprotectiveness... I wonder if Clinton is actually consciously trying to be a father figure to Claire (given that their actual father is absent), even though he's actually her younger brother.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

No matter how long it takes, I will have my Clinton Rocket Punch.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It's only a diner if A: it's open 24 hours, and B: you can get pancakes (or a cheeseburger) any damn time you walk in. Otherwise, it's just a restaurant, or a luncheonette.
I saw this and immediately thought "someone's from Jersey". I then checked your profile and...yep!

(If I ever leave Jersey for good, I'll have to go to a diner every time I visit)

Dead giveaway, I guess. :) But yeah, diners out of state are so hit-and-miss.

You know, as a random thought re: Clinton's overprotectiveness... I wonder if Clinton is actually consciously trying to be a father figure to Claire (given that their actual father is absent), even though he's actually her younger brother.

Quite possible. The cultural baggage of the "man of the house" can be hard to shake even when/though it's unnecessary.

BenRG

• coprophage

I wonder if Clinton is actually consciously trying to be a father figure to Claire (given that their actual father is absent), even though he's actually her younger brother.

From what I've heard (and experienced at a certain level with families I know) it's a common behavioural trait for sons in families affected by either divorce or the death of the father.
~~~~

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

No apology needed (at least on my account). It's not one of our better exports. :P

Just for you Aziraphale, if you haven't already seen it (and totally off topic, I know - in my defence, its one of the reasons I would much, much,much sooner live in the QCverse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Mind you, there is the DISCUSS subforum for political stuff...

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

There is the possibility that Claire have gotten hurt in the past by guys, other than her dad. It would explain Clintons skeptical nature towards Marten
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Mind you, there is the DISCUSS subforum for political stuff...

Yep, sorry - I'll stop it now...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Plot twist for Friday

Yelling Bird watching Steve eat cereal.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

Plot twist for Friday

"I DARE YOU TO STUFF CORNFLAKES IN MY CLOACA"
"Dude, what's wrong with you?"
"A LACK OF CORNFLAKES IN MY CLOACA YOU FUCKING COCKSTAIN, GET TO IT!"
Quack Quack.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Plot twist for Friday

That's disturbingly plausible.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

Plot twist for Friday

:-D I just... no words.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Y'all are really making me want to go to Waffle House today.  You know that, right?
I would love to go to Waffle House right now, but it's all the way on the other side of town and the effort of walking 1.5 miles to my car to drive it there is defeating the will to go there.

In other words, I'm being lazy.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Do you REALIZE how many PEOPLE there are out there who CANNOT go to a Waffle House because it is not only NOT "within walking distance" or even "on the other side of town" - but a FULL TWO STATES AWAY????
Just another Joe like 46

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Do you REALIZE how many PEOPLE there are out there who CANNOT go to a Waffle House because it is not only NOT "within walking distance" or even "on the other side of town" - but a FULL TWO STATES AWAY????

Look on the bright side - at least you are on the same continent as a Waffle House ;-)  That said, we are well catered for here in Oz when it comes to breakfast joints - can't throw a rock in my home city without hitting a cafe or restaurant that has a decent breakfast menu :-)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Y'all are really making me want to go to Waffle House today.  You know that, right?
I would love to go to Waffle House right now, but it's all the way on the other side of town and the effort of walking 1.5 miles to my car to drive it there is defeating the will to go there.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

... but it's a whole 4 miles away. I have to drive all the way to I-35, and go like two exits...

... maybe I'll go there tonight and have breakfast for dinner.

(and, yes, I measured the distance on Google Maps. I had actually thought it was farther than that.)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The closest one to me is over 100km away in Pennsylvania.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Sounds like a job for ...

(Hat-tip to ZoeB for that glorious avatar ...)
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2014, 16:14 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

No matter how long it takes, I will have my Clinton Rocket Punch.

You could always request it on the fanart thread.  .-.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Make your own!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

As an aside, all the talk about Claire's hair is much like my own; it's wild, wavy, poofy, and red (though considerably darker). Many jokes are had at the expense of my Medusa-like locks killing and/or maiming those around me.

C-c-c-cosplay?

Oh no. I was viciously beaten awhile back and I'm not too keen on my appearance since. My hair and weight is all I have going for me at the moment. Oh, and boobs. Glorious boobs. Maybe I just think so since I waited so long for them...

I'm so sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry if I rubbed salt or anything.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

Is something unusual happening with the tree in the final two panels?

It looks... hungry...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Claire's still living at home. Odds are, she's never lived on her own before, and never quite had the responsibility that comes with that.

That mismatch in life experience can cause serious issues down the road.
While one can't automatically assume that what's true in this universe is true in the QC one... do you realise how outrageously rare having supportive parents is for girls like her? (Hint : average age of homeless trans children is 12 1/2, many, many get kicked out)

That she has family support (parents, brother ) possibly accounts for her relatively good mental health. Though I see an anxiety attack looming... if one doesn't happen now, I'd say they're gone.

If I was that age, woke up without having a chance to clean up, came downstairs to see Mum and prospective first boyfriend ever chatting it up after a night when I ended up in his arms.... anxious doesn't even begin to describe it. We're talking fullblown PANIC here.

I didn't see this coming. Jeph, you magnificent bastard.

You read his comic?  :claireface:

Basically this. Zoe is awesome as usual.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

There is the possibility that Claire have gotten hurt in the past by guys, other than her dad. It would explain Clintons skeptical nature towards Marten

Maybe, but we know she's never been kissed.  They would have had to have been guys that hurt her by teasing her, or online romances, or crushes, or something like that. 

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I've been thinking, Clinton may take after his mom a lot.  That combination of benevolent intentions, obliviousness to boundaries, and over-enthusiasm/pushiness....

Anyways: does no one remember that Claire had her PJ's on when she was at the wedding with Marten?
You're right, I did forget that.  It still doesn't totally compare with this situation, though, since those were the particular PJ's she chose to pack when she knew she'd be seen by a boy... and the top half is a lot more covering than the one she's wearing now.

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker

Ew. I, for one, am plenty happy to not be in the immediate vicinity of a Waffle House (although, as I am in St. Louis, I am positive that one is not more than a 15 minute drive from me). I'd rather take the 15 minutes it takes for me to whip up a batch of my very tasty malted waffles... and use real maple syrup. That "syrup" they give you in restaurants? I can't even.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Since we're on the topic of pancakes, waffles, and other assorted breakfast dishes (any love for French toast?), the absolute best place I've had pancakes was from Cracker Barrel.  Huge pancakes and the syrup they give you comes in little glass bottles that's heated and REAL maple syrup.  So good, but they're a bit pricey. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Folks, I'm still hungry, and I still don't think there are any real breakfast restaurants in this whole country.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I'm pretty sure there are skillets, though.  I highly recommend home-made pancakes.  Super easy and delicious.

I've never had restaurant pancakes that I liked as much, really, though I do love the ambiance of a diner.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

This is getting to the point where we need a diner thread.

But if you're ever in Durham, North Carolina, go to Elmo's Diner for breakfast. Everybody else in town does.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Since we're on the topic of pancakes, waffles, and other assorted breakfast dishes (any love for French toast?), the absolute best place I've had pancakes was from Cracker Barrel.  Huge pancakes and the syrup they give you comes in little glass bottles that's heated and REAL maple syrup.  So good, but they're a bit pricey.

French toast is dicey, though. Lots of places don't make it correctly (or even particularly well when they're doing it wrong).

Cracker Barrel's food is better than their politics. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

This is getting to the point where we need a diner thread.

But if you're ever in Durham, North Carolina, go to Elmo's Diner for breakfast. Everybody else in town does.

A diner and restaurant thread is a great idea.

My favorite spot in NC is North Banks (in Corolla), and I also remember a good greasy spoon on 12 south near Kitty Hawk, but then again, I've never been to Durham.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25   Go Up