THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 225636 times)

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

Okay, just try and tell me I'm wrong. But Claire in panel two looks perfect if you replace her background with an explosion. Soooooo cooool!
I can't believe no-one did this yet.

OMG thank you so much I thought everyone was just ignoring my post that had amazing potential!
SO FLUFFY!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Regarding the whole intern thing - I think it could be possible that Marten had subconcious feelings for Claire before and he rationalized him not wanting to start anything with Emily by the intern thing.

At least that's what my subconcious would most likely do...

I agree, though I think he may also have been rationalizing not initiating anything with Claire.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I didn't see it if anyone replied to my question.  Is not knowing how to cook a generational thing?  I'm an Xer, and everyone from my generation knows and likes to cook.  It's not as if it's hard.  Nobody in this strip seems to know how to cook, and is worried about money all the time.  Cooking saves time and money.  Heck, I'd buy Marten and Faye a slow cooker if they don't really want to learn.  Slow cookers are great.  Put the ingredients in, turn it on, and when they get home there'd be food.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Angus cooks, and Faye keeps trying despite the consequences. Hannelore and The Pugnacious Peach have done quite a bit of baking together.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I didn't see it if anyone replied to my question.  Is not knowing how to cook a generational thing?  I'm an Xer, and everyone from my generation knows and likes to cook.  It's not as if it's hard.  Nobody in this strip seems to know how to cook, and is worried about money all the time.  Cooking saves time and money.  Heck, I'd buy Marten and Faye a slow cooker if they don't really want to learn.  Slow cookers are great.  Put the ingredients in, turn it on, and when they get home there'd be food.

I saw your question, and was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if it's a generational thing (Gen X here as well), or if it's more of a narrative thing... or maybe both? Doesn't anybody do potlucks any more, even if they don't call them that?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Our stovetop is slightly inclined, which makes making pancakes kinda difficult. But I bought materials for pancakes today. Tomorrow is national holiday, so I can't go buy food.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Our stovetop is slightly inclined, which makes making pancakes kinda difficult. But I bought materials for pancakes today. Tomorrow is national holiday, so I can't go buy food.

Inclined which way? You can usually adjust the legs (or just add shims) to level it off if it's causing you issues.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I didn't see it if anyone replied to my question.  Is not knowing how to cook a generational thing?  I'm an Xer, and everyone from my generation knows and likes to cook.  It's not as if it's hard.  Nobody in this strip seems to know how to cook, and is worried about money all the time.
I know how to cook, and I'm actually quite good at it.  I'm also rather lazy and half the time just throw together a sandwich or salad, because I HATE prep-work.  The main cast might just live on a diet of cereal or things that are easily thrown together.  And of course, at least Hanners and Sven don't have to worry about money.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

well, I can't speak for others, but I and my partner cook roughly half the time. We get take out/eat out at least 2 times a week, sometimes 3, and cook the rest of the time. But then, I have a retail schedule, so I'm not often home in time to cook a decent meal. My partner is, but its not fair to ask him to cook all of the time. I also like to get take out for food I can't easily cook at home, like thai, indian, cajun and sushi.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

I know how to cook, and I'm actually quite good at it.  I'm also rather lazy and half the time just throw together a sandwich or salad, because I HATE prep-work. ... quote trimmed

Exactly this! I even resent prepping salads (and really, what can be easier than making a salad?)  Dunno if its really a generational thing - I was born in the very early sixties ;-)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I know I can't cook but that's only because I'm not in a situation right now in my life that would afford me the chance to learn how to cook.  Born in '85, that makes me what? A millenial?  I can't keep track of these generations.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

(snip) I also like to get take out for food I can't easily cook at home, like thai, indian, cajun and sushi.

Yeah, we tend to do the same, though I'll get things out sometimes if I'm just too lazy to do the prep. I end up disappointed a lot, though. I hate eating something I'm paying for and thinking to myself, "I could've done this better." S'why I hardly ever get soups in restaurants.

I know I can't cook but that's only because I'm not in a situation right now in my life that would afford me the chance to learn how to cook.  Born in '85, that makes me what? A millenial?  I can't keep track of these generations.

Start easy, and branch out. Google as needed. And learn to experiment... knowing what goes with what -- the kinds of things that taste good together -- gives you a lot of flexibility, and comes in handy when the fridge gets sparse.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

Left overs are your best friend in the kitchen. Like today- I took leftover ravioli, leftover spinach, and leftover mushroom and onion mixture and made yumminess! It's easy to cook.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Tomorrow is national holiday, so I can't go buy food.
Wait, even the grocery stores are closed? :psyduck:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ysth

• capital eszet

Well we know Jim's ex-wife  lives locally, in fact within walking distance of Jim's house - http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1957.

And siblings do sometimes live with different parents after a divorce....

Meh, there's nothing to contradict the theory, but it doesn't feel very likely..

Jimbo:

Jim:

Entirely different proposition.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Yes. Like on Sundays.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ysth

• capital eszet

Is something unusual happening with the tree in the final two panels?

It looks... hungry...
It can see the pancakes but can't reach them.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Yes. Like on Sundays.
'Cause you live in one of those civilized countries where people don't just work all the friggin' time.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yes. Like on Sundays.
EVERY Sunday? :psyduck: Even in counties here with blue laws there are exceptions for groceries.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

Yes. Like on Sundays.
EVERY Sunday? :psyduck: Even in counties here with blue laws there are exceptions for groceries.

I feel lucky being able to go shopping for food from 6 Am to 11.30 PM, every. Single. Day. Even christmas.
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I can go shopping for food 24/7/nearly 365. (Nearly, because there's a couple holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas) where even the 24/7 stores close, but it's still 365 days, just not 24 hours those couple of days.)

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I'm torn between waiting for the new comic page, and wanting to read Jeph's twitter feed. Apparently, he has a duck.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

His twitter feed indicates he's playing D&D, let's face it, there's not gonna be a comic for a while. I'm going to bed soon.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Alternate possibility: He knew he was going to be playing D&D and set the comic stuff up beforehand. Possibly, anyway.

That duck is going to go far.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I saw your question, and was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if it's a generational thing (Gen X here as well), or if it's more of a narrative thing... or maybe both? Doesn't anybody do potlucks any more, even if they don't call them that?

I'm 21. Most people I know can cook, but several can't/don't, such as my older brother and my (ex)landlady's daughter. Everyone I've ever lived with has been able to cook, and it was required to take home ec (cooking, sewing, and we used washers and dryers and stuff) for everyone in grade six (11-12 years old) in my district (or maybe in my province). My best friend and previous roommate's mother can't/couldn't cook, but she can, thankfully.

On the other hand, while I can cook and appreciate it being cheaper, I much prefer going out. I can't afford to more than once a week (and even that is a stretch), but I like it better. When I do cook, I prefer to do batch cooking (soups and pasta sauce other freezables) and to make ingredients (dressings, refried beans, veggie patties) over making real meals, so my partner makes most of the our dinners.

I imagine part of the bias in QC is because it's more interesting to draw people at new places, and also if they're going to a restaurant, it is usually for an occasion, which usually means it's plot-relevant, which means dinner/whatever meal gets shown more than it does at home. I think the only one who has been shown as unable to cook is Faye, and that's less because she can't make tasty food and more because she starts fires and stuff. Dora roasts her own coffee beans with an apparently special formula, so I imagine she can cook fairly well. Marten doesn't seem any more or less inclined than anyone else, it's never been demonstrated that he can't cook.

Then for this strip specifically, he was hung over, tired, and somewhat confused. I wouldn't really feel like making myself breakfast either.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

In my small milennial sample I can say most people I know who are in couples have a person who knows how to cook and one who doesn't like cooking, and the ones who are single know how to cook in proportion with how large their restaurant budget is.

I'd kvetch about not being able to eat the waffles at Waffle House, but there's a place a mile walk from me with vegab French toast so I'm actually pretty spoiled (plus I have a waffle iron)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I could cook, but it sucks cooking for one, so I don't.

T

Or he fell in love with Claire's mom... ...pancakes!
Ah. Oedipus again. Please note the similarity to #1047. While I don't think Marten is in love with Claire's mom (and her pancakes), the theory cannot be ruled out. Stranger things have happened.

We already know that Claire's parents are divorced (#2371). In today's strip, it becomes clear that Claire lives with her mother. Marten's presence is a bit of a mystery, but several plausible theories have already been presented. What is strange, is how cool he appears. Obviously, he has thought things through, and knows how to handle the situation.

Is it possible that Clinton also lives with his mom? Are they part of an extended red-haired clone family? If so, there will be drama when he awakes. Marten might have to fight his robot hand.
I was talking about the pancakes exclusively.

About the clone family thing it would be funny to see Claire mom flirting with Marten just for fun (to troll Marten and Claire)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

There are some food staples you can't just keep on hand - and aren't easily made in a small apartment that is taking up most of your paycheck for rent.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Yes. Like on Sundays.

There are only a few towns in Germany in which stores are allowed to be open on Sundays (that is spa towns and similar, basically most of the towns preceded by "Bad"). In northern Germany, where I grew up, grocery stores are usually open from 08:00 to 20:00 (8 am to 8 pm). I'm still a little baffled that the stores around here (southern Germany) are open from 07:30 to 22:00 on average. The longest I've seen was 07:00 to 24:00.

Many other stores close at 18:00 already. Drug stores, pharmacies, basically most non-food stores. Bakeries usually open earlier (some as early as 05:30), but usually close at 18:00 as well. Bakeries are allowed to be open on Sundays, but only until around noon.

National holidays are usually just the same as Sundays. For some of them there are some additional rules though. On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".

Smallest

• Curry sauce

There are some food staples you can't just keep on hand - and aren't easily made in a small apartment that is taking up most of your paycheck for rent.

Here apartments are required to having working fridges, stoves, and ovens, so the 'aren't easily made' part doesn't apply very often, but yes.

Know what is so hard to keep eating? Fruits and vegetables. Fuck.

Stoon

Yes. Like on Sundays.

There are only a few towns in Germany in which stores are allowed to be open on Sundays (that is spa towns and similar, basically most of the towns preceded by "Bad"). In northern Germany, where I grew up, grocery stores are usually open from 08:00 to 20:00 (8 am to 8 pm). I'm still a little baffled that the stores around here (southern Germany) are open from 07:30 to 22:00 on average. The longest I've seen was 07:00 to 24:00.

Many other stores close at 18:00 already. Drug stores, pharmacies, basically most non-food stores. Bakeries usually open earlier (some as early as 05:30), but usually close at 18:00 as well. Bakeries are allowed to be open on Sundays, but only until around noon.

National holidays are usually just the same as Sundays. For some of them there are some additional rules though. On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".
Oh yeah, it's been 25 years since I lived in Germany.  I remember that.

Stoon

Here apartments are required to having working fridges, stoves, and ovens, so the 'aren't easily made' part doesn't apply very often, but yes.

I used to be that way.  Then I got the diabetes.  Now veggies are the bulk of my lowish carb diet.  Yuck.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".
Wait, is this actually enforced? I didn't know Germany was particularly religious.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

On the plus side, trucks are banned from the autobahns on Sundays so visiting Brits get to put their foot down  :mrgreen:

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I used to be that way.  Then I got the diabetes.  Now veggies are the bulk of my lowish carb diet.  Yuck.

I love fruits and vegetables. I just can't buy them enough and it sucks. And if I can get them on sale then they go bad before I finish them.

I guess I should just go buy the cheapest apple or something at the store each day.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

My infant just fell asleep, I hope the comic goes up soon, it's hard to stay up once the little monster isn't keeping me busy

Edit, added:
I love fruits and vegetables. I just can't buy them enough and it sucks. And if I can get them on sale then they go bad before I finish them.

I guess I should just go buy the cheapest apple or something at the store each day.

You might try getting one of the gas absorbing products that are out there, basically little balls (or apple shaped things) that absorb the gases that apples (and other fruit and veg) emit while ripening that
Accelerate ripening and decay. They pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Conversely if you have fruit you want to ripen faster (like avacados) stick them in a paper bag with some apples

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Won't that ruin the apples?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".
Wait, is this actually enforced? I didn't know Germany was particularly religious.

Yes it is. Clubs are closed, and pubs turn off their music. There are spot checks.

We actually had some trouble with a hacker conference around Easter once. The local administration didn't approve of the hacker conference being "in theme" with Good Friday, so they weren't allowed to start the conference on Friday. (They sent private invitations out to people who had bought a ticket for the conference however, for a "non-public presentation evening". So basically they subverted the law, but well, they could have gotten into trouble for that)

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Nah, it shouldn't take longer than half a day to a day to ripen an avocado, then put the apple in the fridge

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

cook for two then eat both.
SO FLUFFY!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: Edna Krabappel
soup for one, salad for one, wine for three...

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Inclined which way? You can usually adjust the legs (or just add shims) to level it off if it's causing you issues.

Well, it's built into the counter (just two hotplates, no oven), which is built on top of the cabinet, which is bolted to the wall. There is no way to fix that without ripping the whole kitchen apart.

Stoon

Is it just me or does Clairemom look a lot like a red-headed version of Jessie from Between Failures?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

There are some entertaining theories swimming around.

Explicitly calling Claire and getting Clairemom instead? (Could be a sign of Clairemom being rather meddling...)

This is the one that occurred to me. Execept for the meddling bit. Marten asks to leave a message asking if Claire would like to join him at House Of Pancakes, and Clairemum gives her counter-proposal.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Huh. Picking up her mobile? Not so cool in my book, but maybe Claire's fine with that.

T

cook for two then eat both.
Don't do that! I slowly got some weight and now I have to burn them.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Damn, that was nailed thoroughly. Now I can pass out. No more sqeeee to look forward to this week.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

221 Elm. A Nightmare on Baker Street?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25   Go Up