THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 224031 times)

Dragonsreach

• Not quite a lurker

So is Marten being coy, being forward, being interested or just going with the flow?
Was last night "In Vino Veritas", real flirting or accidental?

A rarity...looking forward to Monday.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

RL Thanksgiving, or in comic Thanksgiving?  Because, you know, Thanksgiving is only in 1 1/2 weeks.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Lose the call? Wouldn't it show up as a missed call and possibly a voicemail?

Mom's brain works differently than others. She doesn't even have a cell phone, so she thinks that if someone calls me on mine I might lose the call. Like it's a land-line. Sorry, I should have explained better.

And not all cell phones/plans do. I didn't for the last two years, then they offered me call waiting, voicemail, and caller ID for $3 more per month and I finally bothered with it.

Yes. He I think he was, but I feel Claire's Mom's invite was  for Claire's safety, more than anything else.  There are hurdles, some of which have been jumped, and some of which might spring up suddenly, or stay flat. Much better to have the discussion in a safe place such as their home.

Should the hurdles exist? No.

Do they? Unfortunatly so.
Assuming it means she'll give them some alone time (not ~~alooone time~~ but time alone and out of earshot), this would be super nice/well planned and kind of adorable of her mom to do. With the possible discussion of trans issues (which I hope is off camera, because I don't think the audience needs to know Claire's exacts), as well as the general awkwardness, might be best not in public.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

RL Thanksgiving, or in comic Thanksgiving?  Because, you know, Thanksgiving is only in 1 1/2 weeks.
Dead giveaway for Canadian: October Thanksgiving. I'd think I'd have noticed if I missed an entire month and warped into November.
Mistakes, ahoy!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Then, just to be a little cruel, cue Clinton walking in.  :evil:
Oh my god this is so evil pleeeeease have this happen.
I never thought I wanted Clinton to appear again, but yes pleeeease!

Jeph has of course the correct explanation for what happened. He just trolled us for a whole day, getting us to speculate how. Marten is used to meddling mothers, so I guess this is why he is cool in this situation. In fact, he seems to enjoy himself, but perhaps he is just enjoying the pancakes. Still, sooner or later he needs to have The Talk with Claire, and that should make him nervous.

Dang, Mondays do not come soon enough...

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I didn't see it if anyone replied to my question.  Is not knowing how to cook a generational thing?  I'm an Xer, and everyone from my generation knows and likes to cook.  It's not as if it's hard.  Nobody in this strip seems to know how to cook, and is worried about money all the time.  Cooking saves time and money.  Heck, I'd buy Marten and Faye a slow cooker if they don't really want to learn.  Slow cookers are great.  Put the ingredients in, turn it on, and when they get home there'd be food.
I agree. Going out often is a bad idea when you're short on money and cooking is really not that hard, just time consuming. Also, the food that you eat when you eat at a cheap place is often really unhealthy (fast food, I mean).
From consuming American media (which majorly influences my image of the US, since I've never actually been there; of course I realise that this is not necessarily reality) I got the impression that it is very common in the US to either go out to eat or to get take-away to eat at home instead of preparing it oneself. Is this a narrative device that American authors use? Maybe some Americans in the forum can comment on their experiences.

PS: Hanners cooks. I recall a sequence of comics where she had a large kitchen knife and looked like she was just using it.

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

I think the entire reason this could work out between Marten & Claire is that he's so chilled around her. No angst, no stress, he just accepts her as she is and enjoys her company as it is, whether that's regular chat over coffee or at work, terrible-cute puns, or more personal moments such as sharing one's sexuality or post-beer back scratches.

Perhaps because Claire trusted him and valued his friendship enough to share such a private matter as her sexuality so early in their friendship, this has deepened the ease he has around her and strengthened their connection (perhaps without him overtly realising). Even if he saw her as just a friend at first, the best relationships often evolve from such a start-point, and for Captain Angst this start point of zero expectations must be a new and refreshingly untroubled way for a relationship to evolve!

Oh, and as for Marten's countenance during The Discussion twixt Claire & ClaireMum, to me it's simply, MMM PANCAKESSSS... The details of his breakfasty presence aren't as important to him as they are to Claire, and ClaireMum is clearly saying nothing new to him, no story, simply the nuts of what happened for him to have ended up there. Claire is the one more angsty about their evolving relationship due to her crush, not Marten. He was probably going to invite her out for pancakes in a chilled way anyway..
Transgender isnt a sexuality though :) other then that great post. unless she told him her sexuality and I've just completely missed it? in which case I fele sutpid.  :psyduck:
SO FLUFFY!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Dead giveaway for Canadian: October Thanksgiving. I'd think I'd have noticed if I missed an entire month and warped into November.
Yeah that melted my brain for a second.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Ork magick/psykers consist of believing that something will work, and therefore it works.  Which is why red ones go faster: the mekboy who painted it thinks red paint makes it faster, so therefore red paint makes it faster.

Also functions based on mass, more Orks, more shit they manifest goes on. WAAAGH

If I post in red will monday's strip come faster?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I read a lot of blogs written by Americans, and whenever they post about how to save money, one of the tips is "don't go out to eat every day, try to limit it to two or three times a week". Another one that blows my mind is "you can wear your jeans twice before you wash them!".
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

I find myself suspicious of the most recent comic not for the unlikelihood of Claire's mother inviting Marten over for free pancakes, but the odds of Claire leaving her cell phone lying around on a table at her house when she went to bed the night before. Really, who does that? ...or am I in the minority of people who set their phone on the headboard for a clock/alarm?
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Claire's alarm clock is her mother!
What do you know about Pokémon?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

The contents of my pockets often end up dispersed around my apartment in a trail of things, towards the back room, although usually the phones make it to the back.

That said, before I moved out, they always made it to my bedroom, and in fact they often stayed on my person before my dad moved out.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I read a lot of blogs written by Americans, and whenever they post about how to save money, one of the tips is "don't go out to eat every day, try to limit it to two or three times a week". Another one that blows my mind is "you can wear your jeans twice before you wash them!".

Only twice?  I think I can get three or four wearings from the same pair (not consecutively) before I actually throw them in the wash.

I suspected something like today's QC is what happened, nice to see some confirmations about it.  I really like the red hair and blue eyes, such an adorable combo.  Like mother, like daughter.  Either Claire's going to die from embarrassment or her latent Bene Gesserit powers are going to awaken. 

Speaking of pancakes, just got home from having some.  Boo for being up since 3:30 am (it is now 5:10am) but yay for 24 hour diners!
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

The contents of my pockets often end up dispersed around my apartment in a trail of things, towards the back room, although usually the phones make it to the back.

That said, before I moved out, they always made it to my bedroom, and in fact they often stayed on my person before my dad moved out.

I tend to leave my phone on the dining room table, unless I need its alarm function. Which I only need if I'm getting up at a different time than when I'm going to work - my alarm clock is kind of hard to set, so I rarely touch its setting. I don't live with my parents, though. If my phone rings before I get up, my wife tends to bring it to the bed for me to answer.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Folks, I'm still hungry, and I still don't think there are any real breakfast restaurants in this whole country.

Matt's Big Breakfast in downtown Phoenix will pwn your tastebuds.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Folks, I'm still hungry, and I still don't think there are any real breakfast restaurants in this whole country.

It won't be time for breakfast anymore by the time ankhtahr gets there from Germany...

Edit: Woo, 400 posts!

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

I think the entire reason this could work out between Marten & Claire is that he's so chilled around her. No angst, no stress, he just accepts her as she is and enjoys her company as it is, whether that's regular chat over coffee or at work, terrible-cute puns, or more personal moments such as sharing one's sexuality or post-beer back scratches.

Perhaps because Claire trusted him and valued his friendship enough to share such a private matter as her sexuality so early in their friendship, this has deepened the ease he has around her and strengthened their connection (perhaps without him overtly realising). Even if he saw her as just a friend at first, the best relationships often evolve from such a start-point, and for Captain Angst this start point of zero expectations must be a new and refreshingly untroubled way for a relationship to evolve!

Oh, and as for Marten's countenance during The Discussion twixt Claire & ClaireMum, to me it's simply, MMM PANCAKESSSS... The details of his breakfasty presence aren't as important to him as they are to Claire, and ClaireMum is clearly saying nothing new to him, no story, simply the nuts of what happened for him to have ended up there. Claire is the one more angsty about their evolving relationship due to her crush, not Marten. He was probably going to invite her out for pancakes in a chilled way anyway..
Transgender isnt a sexuality though :) other then that great post. unless she told him her sexuality and I've just completely missed it? in which case I fele sutpid.  :psyduck:

A lot of people seem to assume she's into guys for the obvious reasons that she has a cruch on Marten and wanted to touch Steve's shoulders/butt.

I think bisexual is the more likely option. Remember when she found out Dora and Marten used to date? Her reply to Marten was "Luckyyyyy..."

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

That wasn't a reply to Marten, she was sort of talking to herself. And it hasn't been established who she thought was lucky.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

It won't be time for breakfast anymore by the time ankhtahr gets there from Germany...

Edit: Woo, 400 posts!

Ohhh. THAT country. Should've read the whole thread. Mein Fehler.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

That wasn't a reply to Marten, she was sort of talking to herself. And it hasn't been established who she thought was lucky.

I believe she asked Marten: "You and Dora used to date?" and Marten replied in the affirmative, and Claire then said (out loud) "Luckyyyy." I concede that my interpretation isn't rock solid, but it seems to me the most obvious. If she was remarking on Dora's luckiness, I think it would need to be phrased differently. Put yourself in this social situation. It's odd to apply her comment to Dora.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I believe she asked Marten: "You and Dora used to date?" and Marten replied in the affirmative, and Claire then said (out loud) "Luckyyyy." I concede that my interpretation isn't rock solid, but it seems to me the most obvious. If she was remarking on Dora's luckiness, I think it would need to be phrased differently. Put yourself in this social situation. It's odd to apply her comment to Dora.

IDK, when I first read the strip, I thought she meant that Dora was lucky, and that she was commenting on it to herself. I have seen that others interpret it differently, but I still feel that my first impression was correct.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

ETA: Found the comic. Claire's phrasing is actually "YOU used to date Dora?" followed by "Lucky...." The fact that Marten is the grammatical subject of Claire's inquiry adds weight to my interpretation, IMO.

"You rode the rollercoaster? Luckyyyy..."

No one's gonna think you're saying the rollercoaster is lucky.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2370

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Personally, I think she's only into men, she's never been shown as attracted to a woman (although she has stated that Marten's friends are all attractive, but that doesn't mean that she's attracted to them (except for Steve)).

And then there's this, although it's definitely not conclusive for several reasons: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2531

Marten could have been luckyyyy simply because he was dating an attractive and successful business owner, not because Claire wished she was in his shoes.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Only twice?  I think I can get three or four wearings from the same pair (not consecutively) before I actually throw them in the wash.

Yes, that's what melted my brain. I don't wear jeans, as I only wear skirts and dresses, but I do wear denim skirts a lot and I often realise I've worn the same skirt maybe ten times and it probably should be washed soon. No wonder these blogging women (it is always women) find themselves doing two or three loads of laundry a day. I do laundry perhaps once every two weeks unless I'm working and have to wash my uniforms every four days :x
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I've got the feeling that Claire's mother is currently in "Let's find a nice young man for my little girl" mode. There is a definite chance that, at some point, she's going to start singing the praises for Claire's home-making skills.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

ETA: Found the comic. Claire's phrasing is actually "YOU used to date Dora?" followed by "Lucky...." The fact that Marten is the grammatical subject of Claire's inquiry adds weight to my interpretation, IMO.

Comparing Dora and Marten's relationship to a rollercoaster is... more than adequate.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

I've got the feeling that Claire's mother is currently in "Let's find a nice young man for my little girl" mode. There is a definite chance that, at some point, she's going to start singing the praises for Claire's home-making skills.

I really want to see that now  :lol:

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Personally, I think she's only into men, she's never been shown as attracted to a woman (although she has stated that Marten's friends are all attractive, but that doesn't mean that she's attracted to them (except for Steve)).

And then there's this, although it's definitely not conclusive for several reasons: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2531shoes.

Am I the only one who is reminded of Wanda from A Tale of You by that page?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

mawile

• Not quite a lurker
  • life inside the biosphere dodecahedron fevers here

I didn't see it if anyone replied to my question.  Is not knowing how to cook a generational thing?  I'm an Xer, and everyone from my generation knows and likes to cook.  It's not as if it's hard.  Nobody in this strip seems to know how to cook, and is worried about money all the time.  Cooking saves time and money.  Heck, I'd buy Marten and Faye a slow cooker if they don't really want to learn.  Slow cookers are great.  Put the ingredients in, turn it on, and when they get home there'd be food.
I agree. Going out often is a bad idea when you're short on money and cooking is really not that hard, just time consuming. Also, the food that you eat when you eat at a cheap place is often really unhealthy (fast food, I mean).
From consuming American media (which majorly influences my image of the US, since I've never actually been there; of course I realise that this is not necessarily reality) I got the impression that it is very common in the US to either go out to eat or to get take-away to eat at home instead of preparing it oneself. Is this a narrative device that American authors use? Maybe some Americans in the forum can comment on their experiences.

PS: Hanners cooks. I recall a sequence of comics where she had a large kitchen knife and looked like she was just using it.

Depends on the person. I know a lot of people that go out to eat once a month or less, and lots of people who go out to eat once (or more) a day. I do both, I eat at home a lot when I'm alone, but if I'm hanging out with friends, more often we end up going out rather than cooking/eating leftovers.

I see WAY more commercials for food/restaurants (in american media) than I actually go to them. It's all money, the restaurants are paying to get themselves seen, or sneak into TV shows/movies and have it not look like a commercial.

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

"Marten Reed" is a very 'Claire' way of having his name on her phone. Formal. Cookies to the people who guessed 'Claire's mum answers her cell' correctly. There's even a 'MOM' at the end!

I'd like to think Marten was inviting Claire for pancakes. So they could have the discussion about what happened last night, before meeting at work where they'd run the risk of Tai/Emily/Momo interrupting.

Quack Quack.

BenRG

• coprophage

Agreed; Claire can state that a person is attractive or unattractive by her personal aesthetic without necessarily feeling any attraction herself.

I'd like to think Marten was inviting Claire for pancakes. So they could have the discussion about what happened last night, before meeting at work where they'd run the risk of Tai/Emily/Momo interrupting.

Which is unusually proactive for Marten. Previously, he would have spent some time fretting over the matter and actively avoiding contact with the woman in question (as with Padma). Either the whole Dee fiasco has forced him to be more clear-minded or the morning shower was enough for him to get his thoughts in a straight line today and he decided that finding excuses not to face Claire would do no-one any good.
~~~~

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I'd like to think Marten was inviting Claire for pancakes.

I agree. How else would he end up talking to her mom about it on the phone?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I really want to see that now  :lol:
It would probably end with more exclamations of "MOM", probably accompanied by Claire making a face. It would parallel what happened at the wedding.

I realize that's sort of what's happening in the last panel, but Marten's face was priceless in that strip and I want to see it topped.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

"Marten Reed" is a very 'Claire' way of having his name on her phone. Formal.
This may date back from the early days of their work relationship.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

At least it's not "Marten!  :x"!  :-D

BenRG

• coprophage

It could have been even worse. It could have been "Marten <3" and have an embarrassing ring-tone like "It's Raining Men" by the Weathergirls or "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran.

FWIW, I think that the ring-tone for Marten is "Ape Man" by The Kinks. Listen to the lyrics of the chorus and you've got to admit that it sounds a bit like Marten.
~~~~

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

FWIW, I think that the ring-tone for Marten is "Ape Man" by The Kinks. Listen to the lyrics of the chorus and you've got to admit that it sounds a bit like Marten.
Considering the album that that song was released on, that has... interesting... implications.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Nah, the ring tone is just "beep boop beep boop", but said by Morgan Freeman.

(pause)

OH MY GOD NOW I WANT THAT RINGTONE
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Me too, that sounds awesome!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Comparing Dora and Marten's relationship to a rollercoaster is... more than adequate.
Dora is the roller coaster? Good analogy. The term "riding the roller coaster" suddenly gets a new meaning. Previous meaning here.

Link to comic here.

shrike1978

• Not quite a lurker

I could cook, but it sucks cooking for one, so I don't.

This.  When I lived alone, I almost never cooked.  I can cook, and I have no problem with it, but it is not cheaper to cook when you're cooking for one and you don't want to be stuck eating leftovers constantly.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

I would like to think that as well......and it seems likely. This is good. Not only does he want to avoid interruption, but he is showing initiative and talking to her as soon as possible.

And I LOVE the last panel where Claire is freaking out and Marten is just like "She's right. These pancakes are much better."

Edit: AND Claire talks about Marten all the time! I wonder if that was in the context of work and being friends or something else. Regardless it's not surprising that Mom would want to meet him.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

This.  When I lived alone, I almost never cooked.  I can cook, and I have no problem with it, but it is not cheaper to cook when you're cooking for one and you don't want to be stuck eating leftovers constantly.
Welcome, new person! I guess it depends on several factors:
  • Your interests (do you like cooking?)
  • Your kitchen facilities (or lack thereof)
  • Your financial situation (can you afford to eat out?)
  • Where you live (in some countries, eating out can be too expensive. Check the Big Mac index.)

Knight of Cydonia

• Not quite a lurker

Claire is freaking out at her mum and Marten is just sat there like "damn, I had no idea pancakes could be this interesting. I'm just gonna sit here and not engage with anything but these pancakes."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Marten is just like "She's right. These pancakes are much better."
He is isn't he? I imaging him thinking that in a Samuel L. Jackson voice: "Mmm-hmm! This is a tasty pancake!"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Akima: You're not the only one :)

Marten's all like "Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty pancake! Claire, ever had your mom's pancakes? Wanna bite? They're real tasty."
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I may be wrong, but I'd always interpreted that strip as Claire thinking Dora was lucky, since every single indication to that point had been that she had started at about a six on a scale of one to ten in attraction to Marten and had worked her way up to eleven (that's one more, innit?). 

Also, I'm much impressed and relieved that Marten called her first thing in the morning.  I knew he was a good guy, but he's a good guy who calls the next morning.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix    4 (4.1%)
May got too excited with Pintsize    4 (4.1%)
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird    9 (9.3%)
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!    17 (17.5%)
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham    4 (4.1%)
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE    31 (32%)
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures    7 (7.2%)
butts    21 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, it's good to have established that it wasn't butts that made May's hand melt...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25   Go Up