THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 220618 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".
Wait, is this actually enforced? I didn't know Germany was particularly religious.

We aren't - it's more labour protection considerations. Even the 20:00 closing hours on weekdays were intensely debated, it used to be 18:30 when I grew up.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

Man, you guys are throwing me off with the jeans.  Unless it's the dead of Texas summer and I'm sweating my ass off (literally) or I get grease or something on them from work, they go a WHILE without washing.  I have like three or four pairs I just rotate through (i.e. - hang up the pair I was wearing to air out and then wear them again in a few days when they come back up in the rotation) - it takes four or five times wearing a pair before they're *really* stretched and comfortable.

Also, because the thread moved on before I could reply to it: RED WUNZ GO FASTA!!!

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

Jeans only get washed when they're apocalyptically filthy. I might go outside and air them or brush them off if they've had stuff on them. As the great Dr Venkman once said, "I have more than two grades of laundry, okay? There's not just clean and dirty. There are many subtle levels. Okay? See? You hang this outside the window for twenty minutes... it's perfectly fine. "
Quack Quack.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Well, it's good to have established that it wasn't butts that made May's hand melt...

I'd think twice and then check myself in for a psychiatric evaluation before asking May to touch a butt. Think about her personality and her general attitude about humans - She'd likely rip them off!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't understand how it can ever be cheaper to go out to eat rather than cook for yourself. I spend about £20 a week on food. Where are you eating that costs less than £1 a meal?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Maybe if you factor time into it, but I still don't see how it could be cheaper.  I spend an inordinate amount of my money on prepped meals at restaurants.  I think the cheapest meal I can get is ~$4 for two hot dogs (2/$1), a small fry ($1.59 approx), and a small soda ($1.00) from my local Sheetz. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Another thing I've never understood from these lifestyle "advice" blogs is how they take it for granted that people won't eat leftovers. I only ever have leftovers when I've deliberately cooked double or triple what I need, so that I can have it again without needing to cook a second time. And why would you not want to be able to eat without cooking again or spending a fortune at a restaurant?

I would quite like to see some of the cast have dinner at home - maybe Hanners will have a dinner party for her next birthday?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

My biggest problem is that I usually leave home right after getting ready and return home right before going to bed. I don't have the time to cook. Usually I just buy some bread rolls and some cheese to nom over the day.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

BenRG

• coprophage

I don't understand how it can ever be cheaper to go out to eat rather than cook for yourself. I spend about £20 a week on food. Where are you eating that costs less than £1 a meal?

It's not cheaper, it might not even be easier, but it gives you the psychological illusion of avoiding effort.
~~~~

Barmymoo

• Mentat

But someone said it was cheaper because they lived alone.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

One thing is that often, the quantities that a lot of things are in, I end up using things so slowly (unless I just want the same thing every meal for a week), that before they're half gone, they've gone bad.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Just to really dive into this tangent, I find having the right tools really helps a lot to make home cooking more viable. With a rice cooker I make a single serving of oatmeal for breakfast, then load up some rice and veggies set to a timer so my dinner is started when I get home. Throw in a blender for smoothies and a food processor for easy prep (plus home made hummus) and you're off to the races. It's also not too hard to cook for one, just make smaller portions

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I had that problem when I was getting vegetables delivered or buying them in multipacks from a supermarket, but then I found a greengrocers that sells produce loose for much better prices anyway. When I don't want to trek out to that shop (it's only 10 minutes cycle away, but it's all uphill on the way back, with my basket full of heavy food) I go to the local supermarket which sells almost everything loose as well. From what I remember of shopping in the US, you can get fruit and veg loose in most shops. Also, freezers. Get a freezer. Bulk cook (or even just cook double) and freeze, or freeze the half of stuff you won't use before it goes off, and then in a month or so you can have a week where you don't need to shop at all.

HeavyP

• Woo!

As another poster said previously, I actually cook in bulk.  Typically Sunday afternoon/evening I'll cook a casserole, or a large batch of meat, rice, and vegetables.  After it cools I portion it off into individual tupperware tubs, then for the rest of the week I just grab a container, microwave it, and then eat.  I try to cook enough to last me M-F, on Sat and Sun I might spend more time cooking an individual meal, but during the week it's basically just homemade TV dinners.

Knight of Cydonia

• Not quite a lurker

But someone said it was cheaper because they lived alone.

Buying meat alone, unless you know how to properly take apart a leg of lamb/a whole chicken etc & properly portion it, is bloody expensive, because you pay the labour/processing costs on stuff like a pack of chicken thighs or some mince. I can see how buying one big value meal from a little family place a day might work out cheaper.

You also get the whole "time=money" thing, which I've never understood but if you work longer hours I suppose makes sense but then you just cook bulk & freeze portions on your weekends/days off?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

My primary concern is my living situation.  I live with both my parents, both of my sisters, their kids (one sister has 5 year old boy and the other has a 4 year old girl, 2 year old boy and a newborn boy), and my sisters' boyfriends.  Nothing I buy would ever make it to my stomach with that many mouths in the house.  I'm eagerly looking forward to my own place just so I don't have to spend so much money on eating out.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

In NYC, it is probably much cheaper to eat out than it is to go to a grocery store. And, considering the size (and price!) of some places in Manhattan, it might also be a necessity to go out to eat because of a lack of storage space.

I think WRT Marten it's more a combination of slacker lazy and, perhaps, it's the weekend. Also, breakfast tends to be the cheapest of all three possible meals at most restaurants/diners.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

If that idea sounds too boring with the same thing every day, you can bulk cook four or five things and then you've got food for a month. This is how I managed to survive when I was incredibly busy from 8am til 7.30pm almost every day.

I don't eat meat, so I hadn't even considered that aspect of things. It still can't be that expensive, a friend told me she buys a bag of frozen chicken or fish for £3 each week to feed a family of five.

I guess everyone has different circumstances, I certainly don't condemn anyone who chooses to eat out but it surprised me that it would be considered cheaper. jwhouk, I don't understand how eating out can be cheaper than buying raw ingredients - surely the restaurants also have to buy raw ingredients? I know there's usually a cheaper wholesale price but that's offset by the profit margin and overheads.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I don't think I came home before 11pm on any day over the last few weeks, so cooking then is out of question. We don't have a freezer, so keeping food for more than a few days isn't really possible. I also don't have an oven, and basically only one usable hotplate, which further limits my possibilities.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Well, it's good to have established that it wasn't butts that made May's hand melt...

I'd think twice and then check myself in for a psychiatric evaluation before asking May to touch a butt. Think about her personality and her general attitude about humans - She'd likely rip them off!

But what if it was a ro-butt?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Another thing I've never understood from these lifestyle "advice" blogs is how they take it for granted that people won't eat leftovers. I only ever have leftovers when I've deliberately cooked double or triple what I need, so that I can have it again without needing to cook a second time. And why would you not want to be able to eat without cooking again or spending a fortune at a restaurant?

I have a family now, but I always had this problem when I was single. 

The basic issue is mostly with vegetables.  Say you're making a stir-fry.  You can use as much tofu, tempeh, seitan, (sorry, been a vegan since 17, now 35 ).  And the noodles and/or rice aren't an issue.  But then you factor in half a pepper, some onion, mushrooms, some broccoli, kale, etc and you end up with a giant meal. 

Salads are even worse.  I actually only want to eat a salad maybe once a week, but salad greens tend to go bad quickly, and come in large bunches, so you're pretty much forced to eat a salad 3-4 times in a week if you buy the raw materials. 

Then again, I am a maximalist when I cook.  I always like throwing more things into something.  Other people may be just happy with a boring old plate with a protein, carb, and a single vegetable cooked separately.  I cannot do this. 

BenRG

• coprophage

Yeah, judging the amount of salads, especially leaf salads, is a pain. I'm always putting too much or too little lettuce in my lunch!
~~~~

KOK

jwhouk, I don't understand how eating out can be cheaper than buying raw ingredients - surely the restaurants also have to buy raw ingredients? I know there's usually a cheaper wholesale price but that's offset by the profit margin and overheads.

There was a program on the TV with one of those British cooks who are famous mostly for being famous. I haven't seen it, only had it refered. He tried to teach a poor family in some US city to cook healthy meals. While they liked the food, they went back to junk food take away. They could not afford home cooking. This was a family with several kids.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

jwhouk, I don't understand how eating out can be cheaper than buying raw ingredients - surely the restaurants also have to buy raw ingredients? I know there's usually a cheaper wholesale price but that's offset by the profit margin and overheads.

There was a program on the TV with one of those British cooks who are famous mostly for being famous. I haven't seen it, only had it refered. He tried to teach a poor family in some US city to cook healthy meals. While they liked the food, they went back to junk food take away. They could not afford home cooking. This was a family with several kids.

The naked chef! Jamie Oliver!

And seriously, I can't recommend a rice cooker enough, you don't need to waste your hot plate, you can cook and steam at the same time, and it's good for soup and anything else liquid too.

Also, yay veg ppl :)

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

It's not that it's cheaper, it's that a significant number of American workers, between the standard 40-hour work week, 5-15 hours of overtime every week, up to an hour or two spent commuting, and errands, are out of the house for 12-14 hours a day.  Assuming that you gotta get some sleep sooner or later, spending another hour or two on cooking and cleaning the mess you made while cooking just isn't feasible to do every day. 

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

1) Today I noticed that the subtitle for this forum was "Hannelore and Claire squee factory".

2) I think this is how it's going to play out:

Marten asks Claire out.  Claire objects on the grounds that he's her supervisor.  Marten adds that he's going to resign.  Claire looks upset.

Later Claire's mother asks Claire what's wrong.  As she starts to explain, mum wonders why Marten asking her out has upset her.  Eventually, it gets to the fact that he's willing to resign.  Two which her mum says something to the effect of, "Clould he not just ask to be transferred to other duties?"

By this time Marten is already on his way to work and Claire's rushing to try and stop him from doing something drastic.
Francisco

greekstreek

• Not quite a lurker

It's not that it's cheaper, it's that a significant number of American workers, between the standard 40-hour work week, 5-15 hours of overtime every week, up to an hour or two spent commuting, and errands, are out of the house for 12-14 hours a day.  Assuming that you gotta get some sleep sooner or later, spending another hour or two on cooking and cleaning the mess you made while cooking just isn't feasible to do every day.

This. My wife is an emergency room doctor, and I work in a very competitive tech industry. We are both out of the house at 8am and returning around 7pm, starving and exhausted. It is far easier to call during my commute and place a takeout order at one of the 15 restaurants a block from my home so we are eating by 7:15. Afterwards we just throw away the takeout containers and I spend time with my wife as opposed to cleaning and doing dishes. I will cook on weekends when I have the time.

In this case, I suppose you can consider takeout "cheaper" from a time perspective. I work so much that my free time is 100% as valuable to me as my work hours, so any removal of free time to do unenjoyable or time-consuming chores is a net-loss. If you look at things holistically, everything can be expressed in terms of utility, and the utility of my time spent cooking and cleaning is worth far less to me than the possibility of spending my time doing other things minus the utility of the cost of more expensive food.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

Whelp. The exact explanation that I insisted wasn't it is the one Jeph goes with. Well guessed people.

I've had this pair of jeans on for substantially longer than people here are suggesting is acceptable.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

I've had this pair of jeans on for substantially longer than people here are suggesting is acceptable.

If they don't smell and aren't visibly dirty, they're not dirty yet.  Just as long as you change your underpants. 

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

Marten asks Claire out.  Claire objects on the grounds that he's her supervisor.  Marten adds that he's going to resign.  Claire looks upset.

Has she ever shown any indication that him being (technically) above her would stop her from dating him? I thought it was only Marten that said anything about it.

If that becomes an issue I would expect it to be more along the lines of:

1. Marten asks Claire out. She accepts.
2. Tai finds out and makes an off hand comment about him getting over the whole "being her superior" thing.
3. Marten has an ethical dilemma moment.

That gives us a small conflict to deal with while not totally dismissing his previous attitude nor making it the central focus of the arc.

Psuedoname

• Not quite a lurker

I dont know what all the fuss about cooking for one is, my butler manages to cook for just me perfectly well......

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Has she ever shown any indication that him being (technically) above her would stop her from dating him?

She says here that it would be "highly inappropriate given [their] professional relationship".  Whether that is just so much quacking as Faye suggests is anyone's guess.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

But I bought materials for pancakes today. Tomorrow is national holiday, so I can't go buy food.

yay, moronic flatmate.

He left the flour open, as well as the cabinet, and I wasn't in the kitchen for quite a while, and fucking spiders had built a nest in the flour package. The fuck.

So now I had some weird failed omelette/scrambled eggs monstrosity which contained far too much milk and thus tasted sweet, because of the sugar in the milk.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I'm a woman, and if isn't isn't hot and I haven't been sweating, as long as I don't spill anything on them, I am perfectly willing to wear the same pair of jeans for a week. To be fair, I only own three pair. I own very little in the way of clothing, or anything else, really. I try to my possessions to a minimum. Aside from a few musical instruments I still own for sentimental reasons, I've managed to boil everything down to what I can carry. So, yeah, jeans can be worn for a significant amount of time before they need washed.

I have a friend who never washes jeans unless something is spilled on them. He literally freezes them to get rid of the bacteria that cause the smell. Of course, he's a bit of a weirdo in general.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Psuedoname

• Not quite a lurker

But I bought materials for pancakes today. Tomorrow is national holiday, so I can't go buy food.

yay, moronic flatmate.

He left the flour open, as well as the cabinet, and I wasn't in the kitchen for quite a while, and fucking spiders had built a nest in the flour package. The fuck.

So now I had some weird failed omelette/scrambled eggs monstrosity which contained far too much milk and thus tasted sweet, because of the sugar in the milk.

Tamagoyaki!

Saabstory88

• Not quite a lurker

This. My wife is an emergency room doctor, and I work in a very competitive tech industry. We are both out of the house at 8am and returning around 7pm, starving and exhausted. It is far easier to call during my commute and place a takeout order at one of the 15 restaurants a block from my home so we are eating by 7:15. Afterwards we just throw away the takeout containers and I spend time with my wife as opposed to cleaning and doing dishes. I will cook on weekends when I have the time.

In this case, I suppose you can consider takeout "cheaper" from a time perspective. I work so much that my free time is 100% as valuable to me as my work hours, so any removal of free time to do unenjoyable or time-consuming chores is a net-loss. If you look at things holistically, everything can be expressed in terms of utility, and the utility of my time spent cooking and cleaning is worth far less to me than the possibility of spending my time doing other things minus the utility of the cost of more expensive food.

Incredibly true.

BenRG

• coprophage

Has she ever shown any indication that him being (technically) above her would stop her from dating him?

She says here that it would be "highly inappropriate given [their] professional relationship".  Whether that is just so much quacking as Faye suggests is anyone's guess.

That was before she had reason to believe that Marten had an interest in her. We humans are excellent at creating metaphorical armour to stop our feelings from causing us emotional harm. I suspect that Claire was hanging onto the "professional detachment" argument as an excuse for not confronting Marten and getting hurt. Whether she really feels that way is anyone's guess right now.
~~~~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The naked chef! Jamie Oliver!

And seriously, I can't recommend a rice cooker enough, you don't need to waste your hot plate, you can cook and steam at the same time, and it's good for soup and anything else liquid too.

Also, yay veg ppl :)
Another Jamie tip: Freezers.
I spend an hour after doing the week's shopping putting meats and the like into meal-portion baggies with seasoning and throw them in the freezer. Of a morning, on the way out and assuming I don't forget, it's a simple matter to pull a bag or two out and put a half a cup of rice in a bowl to soak. By the time I get back, the meat/veg is defrosted, the rice is already half-done, and cooking the lot is a matter stir-frying things for five minutes and that includes the cooking time for the rice.

Also worthwhile; jars of sweet peppers in oil. Ultimate stir fry ingredient that, since you don't need to add further oil to cook everything else most of the time and it tastes delicious.
If I'm feeling super-lazy, or forgot to defrost something, finely sliced streaky bacon, chestnut mushrooms, the oily peppers and a packet of flavoured soup noodles make a fine emergency meal.
But then I like a lot of stir fry.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

HeavyP

• Woo!

yay, moronic flatmate.

Sift!  Seriously, invest in a good sifter.  They used to be standard in households, because bugs were an unstoppable way of life.  My grandfather grew up on a farm, and while they tried to minimize it, he said that you basically got used to opening the flour container and sifting out the weevils before you used it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

any removal of free time to do unenjoyable or time-consuming chores is a net-loss.

But cooking can also be enjoyable, both as a creative activity, and in the eating of the results.  And any materially-based hobby will have cleaning up involved with it, whether it's model painting, woodwork, or gardening (etc).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Orkboy

• Beyoncé

Hey, can we do a new poll?  I want to see what people REALLY think will happen.  Options like "Smooches and everything is good,"  "Smooches and it doesn't work out, but they stay friends,"  "No smooches and hella tension,"  "One million babies, with one of them named Jet Fighter"

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Oh, my option was "we lose track of Claire and Marten, as the strip becomes about Clairemom working with Dora to open 'Pancakes of Doom'"
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Sift!  Seriously, invest in a good sifter.  They used to be standard in households, because bugs were an unstoppable way of life.  My grandfather grew up on a farm, and while they tried to minimize it, he said that you basically got used to opening the flour container and sifting out the weevils before you used it.

Well, I'm afraid of spiders, and I definitely won't eat anything made from flour out of which 4 spiders crawled and in which are still spider eggs. Even after sieving.

It took me about 10 minutes to work up the courage to throw that package of flour in a plastic bag and hurriedly knot it.

I think I'd rather invest in something like tupperware boxes to avoid insects getting into the ingredients in the first place. But well, maybe it's going to be better when I'm not living in a basement anymore.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I find myself suspicious of the most recent comic not for the unlikelihood of Claire's mother inviting Marten over for free pancakes, but the odds of Claire leaving her cell phone lying around on a table at her house when she went to bed the night before. Really, who does that? ...or am I in the minority of people who set their phone on the headboard for a clock/alarm?
She lives with her parents, so she probably has an alarm clock in her room from before everyone had a cell.
That wasn't a reply to Marten, she was sort of talking to herself. And it hasn't been established who she thought was lucky.

I believe she asked Marten: "You and Dora used to date?" and Marten replied in the affirmative, and Claire then said (out loud) "Luckyyyy." I concede that my interpretation isn't rock solid, but it seems to me the most obvious. If she was remarking on Dora's luckiness, I think it would need to be phrased differently. Put yourself in this social situation. It's odd to apply her comment to Dora.
I assumed the 'Lucky,' was based on the fact that she had never dated anyone (which she talks to Emily about, I think a couple pages later).

BenRG

• coprophage

Hey, can we do a new poll?  I want to see what people REALLY think will happen.  Options like "Smooches and everything is good,"  "Smooches and it doesn't work out, but they stay friends,"  "No smooches and hella tension,"  "One million babies, with one of them named Jet Fighter"

I'm willing to agree only if one option is "Clairemom locks them in cupboard until smoochies happen"  :lol:
~~~~

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Also worthwhile; jars of sweet peppers in oil. Ultimate stir fry ingredient that, since you don't need to add further oil to cook everything else most of the time and it tastes delicious.

And at least where I live they're fairly cheap. Not cheaper than raw peppers, I don't think, but cheap. And they make any sandwich (or whatever) taste like it's from  a fancy deli.

KOK

Another Jamie tip: Freezers.
I spend an hour after doing the week's shopping putting meats and the like into meal-portion baggies with seasoning and throw them in the freezer. Of a morning, on the way out and assuming I don't forget, it's a simple matter to pull a bag or two out and put a half a cup of rice in a bowl to soak. By the time I get back, the meat/veg is defrosted, the rice is already half-done, and cooking the lot is a matter stir-frying things for five minutes and that includes the cooking time for the rice.

Or in my case: divide the meat that I am not going to cook right now into  portions. Put them in the freezer. Proptly forget all about them. Throw them in the trash a couple of years later.  I have stopped doing that.

Also I get a hot meal at noon at work. It costs, but is cheap. So I usually eat typical luch stuff for supper. That is rye bread and cold cuts. I have gotten out of the habbit of cooking, and often end up buying takeaway weekends. Or I buy something to cook for two days, it gets too late Saturday evening, and I buy takaway. Then I cook Sunday evening, and eat the other half Monday evening.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I think that poll is due for WCDT next week.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Ahhhhh! ClaireMom going for the throat :3
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Leveton

• Not quite a lurker

On the topic of cooking meals at home vs. eating out, as someone who lives on his own, I know it's way cheaper for me to cook at home. If I'm diligent about planning meals out for the week and stick to my plans, saving leftovers instead of overeating, I can get by with a food bill less than $30 if I stick to things that are relatively cheap (so not a lot of beef right now with the way prices have spiked; instead, I'm substituting pork in some things like chili). Fruits, vegetables, rice, pasta, and dry beans are all pretty cheap, while also being filling and generally nutritious. If you make good use of them, you can really reduce the need for much more expensive meats (although I like meat, especially pork and lean beef, and I really want to try cooking with lamb, venison, and rabbit, but they're more expensive than I really want to spend to "experiment" with). In contrast, I can hardly ever get away from a restaurant without spending at least $5 for my meal. If we leave out breakfast, at 14 meals a week, that would be $70, absolute minimum, more than double what I would spend to cook for myself. $100 a week would be more likely.

And I like the food I cook at home better than what I can get at a lot of restaurants. And I like cooking, too. There's a rewarding feeling knowing that I made something really tasty. The one thing that keeps me from cooking at home almost all the time is doing dishes. I *hate* doing dishes, and my apartment doesn't have a dishwasher, so it has to be by hand. Plates aren't a big deal, they're quick and easy, but pots and pans take more time and force me to split it up between multiple times because my sink and dish drainer only have room for so much.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up