THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 12:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 223855 times)

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

any removal of free time to do unenjoyable or time-consuming chores is a net-loss.

But cooking can also be enjoyable, both as a creative activity, and in the eating of the results.  And any materially-based hobby will have cleaning up involved with it, whether it's model painting, woodwork, or gardening (etc).

That's if you find cooking enjoyable. I don't. and I don't see a reason to try to force myself to find cooking enjoyable. I make jewelry, a very time consuming and messy hobby. But its something I enjoy, and when forced by my ridiculous and chaotic work schedule to choose between cooking and jewelry... I will almost always pick jewelry.

If I was in a different financial situation I might cook more. But, as I said earlier, a lot of the foods I like to eat are not easy for me to make at home, either due to the cooking facilities I have or to the amount of time that goes in to making them.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I don't cook because I don't really enjoy it, it is time consuming, and it involves burdening myself with more stuff I have to own. I'm committed to owning as little as I can. I move a lot and often with little to no notice. I keep my possessions mostly to what I can carry. Cookware is just more stuff I have to deal with.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I love to cook, and if you just take a bit of time once or twice a week to prep things- clean chicken breast, maybe slice up some veggies- and throw them in air-tight containers, it takes a lot of that stress out. But then again, I love to cook and have 10000000 things around me while doing so, so I might not be the best help. (Though I live on my own too!)

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

The only think I "cook" is pancakes.

That and pasta and quick stuff like that, but the only thing I put time on making are pancakes.
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

ItsNotATumor

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat any good books lately?

This situation seems like a nightmare scenario for Claire.

A nightmare... on Elm Street!

:claireface:

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Y'all are really making me want to go to Waffle House today.  You know that, right?
I would love to go to Waffle House right now, but it's all the way on the other side of town and the effort of walking 1.5 miles to my car to drive it there is defeating the will to go there.

In other words, I'm being lazy.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Do you REALIZE how many PEOPLE there are out there who CANNOT go to a Waffle House because it is not only NOT "within walking distance" or even "on the other side of town" - but a FULL TWO STATES AWAY????
... but it's a whole 4 miles away. I have to drive all the way to I-35, and go like two exits...

... maybe I'll go there tonight and have breakfast for dinner.

(and, yes, I measured the distance on Google Maps. I had actually thought it was farther than that.)

This confuses me.  We drive everywhere here in Little Rock.  It's not unheard of to go try a diner three HOURS away.  But we're weird like that.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

This situation seems like a nightmare scenario for Claire.

A nightmare... on Elm Street!

You made an account just for that didn't you?

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

:bigclaireface:

Puns. PUNNNNS

Quality first post. Welcome!

(Other people... May someone with < 100 posts welcome new people? I hope so.)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Welcoming people is a good thing to do for anyone who wants to do it. Besides, some people go months before breaking 100. People like me.

Welcome, NotATumor. And I think I speak for everyone when I say "groaaaaaaan"
Mistakes, ahoy!

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Since we're on the topic of pancakes, waffles, and other assorted breakfast dishes (any love for French toast?), the absolute best place I've had pancakes was from Cracker Barrel.  Huge pancakes and the syrup they give you comes in little glass bottles that's heated and REAL maple syrup.  So good, but they're a bit pricey.

Nonononono... you need THESE pancakes.

They're from Billy Gail's up in Branson, MO.  I have no idea what size pan they're using to make these, or if they just pour them on a griddle, but daaaaaaang.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

I'm down as long as there's maple syrup on them, not whatever flavored corn syrup nonsense is in that squeeze bottle. Fortunately QC is set in New England, so I don't have to worry for Claire & co!

Half Empty Coffee Cup

That pancake is bigger than the plate. How are you supposed to get bites off of it with the fork? How are you supposed to pour syrup on it without making a godawful mess? How are you supposed to have room for the nearby bacon after that monstrosity?

The world needs to know.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

So, I've been reading the old comics because I don't have like work or a life or whatevs, and I noticed something: I wonder if Marten is finally trying to follow his own advice?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Quality pancakes are to be had from the griddle of Mr. Benjamin Gleason, president of Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 50 in Huron, Ohio, as presented annually at the Pancake Breakfast and Fly-in, currently in search of a new home with the closing of Sandusky Griffing Airport. Six bucks gets you all you want and the airplanes are free for the looking-at.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Folks, I'm still hungry, and I still don't think there are any real breakfast restaurants in this whole country.

Matt's Big Breakfast in downtown Phoenix will pwn your tastebuds.

YESS

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

That pancake is bigger than the plate. How are you supposed to get bites off of it with the fork? How are you supposed to pour syrup on it without making a godawful mess? How are you supposed to have room for the nearby bacon after that monstrosity?

The world needs to know.

See the tear mark?  That's where I tore off a regular pancake-sized chunk to roll up and dip in honey. 

I agree about syrup -- if I can't have maple, I'm sure as hell not having Aunt Jemima.  But I do love real, luscious honey.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Yup.  Many people nailed it.  I'm in the camp thinking this may get strung out enough to hit Thanksgiving before this ship truly sinks or sails.

Oh, no. You mentioned Thanksgiving.

Dear GOD, do you KNOW how much drama and major storyline issues have happened around THANKSGIVING?

"The Talk" happened around Thanksgiving. (Just afterwards.)

I'm thinking that Wednesday 26th ends with a panel along the lines of "So what's going on then?" and then Thursday is turkeys. Friday is Stevereal.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

FREE PANCAKES FOR ALL!!!!!

Also, it must be refreshing for Marten to see someone elses mother embarrassing their child.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Welcoming people is a good thing to do for anyone who wants to do it. Besides, some people go months before breaking 100. People like me.

Or years, according to my projections of my own participation. I may try to be more active, though!

marbledmurrelet

• Plantmonster
  • mostly a lurker, though

Damn you all, now I want pancakes and of course the store just closed and I don't have any form of milk.
*goes checking the pantry*
Hmm, I've got sour-cream. And creamed coconut. Anyways, I've got the main ingredient (which is obviously maple syrup).
I don't have a signature yet, looking to acquire an affordable one.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Damn you all, now I want pancakes and of course the store just closed and I don't have any form of milk.
*goes checking the pantry*
Hmm, I've got sour-cream. And creamed coconut. Anyways, I've got the main ingredient (which is obviously maple syrup).

For actual, I think you could use the sour cream (just add water and a bit of sugar). It's sour, so it's sorta like using buttermilk? And in any case, sour cream+ chocolate+baking always works, so you can dump chocolate in...

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

Of COURSE Hannelore cooks.  Remember the line "Baking is science for hungry people!" 
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 13:57 by Estron »

marbledmurrelet

• Plantmonster
  • mostly a lurker, though

For actual, I think you could use the sour cream (just add water and a bit of maple syrup). It's sour, so it's sorta like using buttermilk? And in any case, sour cream+ chocolate+baking always works, so you can dump chocolate in...
Fixed ^^
Also, chocolate pancakes? Hmmm...
I don't have a signature yet, looking to acquire an affordable one.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Also, it must be refreshing for Marten to see someone elses mother embarrassing their child.

Yeah, it must be a strange relief to learn that Dora's folks weren't a one-off and that lots of his friends have embarrassing families!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Chocolate chip pancakes are definitely a thing. Or you could put other things in pancakes - fruit is common. And, yesterday, I had some (IHOP) pumpkin spice pancakes, that was actually pretty amazing.

AJ_

• Not quite a lurker

Chocolate chip pancakes are definitely a thing.
I personally, can't stand chocolate in my pancakes.
Hello, Universe

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

I don't cook. Somebody once got me a cookbook as a present. Every recipe started with "take a clean dish." I was done right there.  :claireface:

Seriously, I have a milk carton in my fridge with a picture of the Lindbergh baby.  :claireface: :claireface:

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

So, I've been reading the old comics because I don't have like work or a life or whatevs, and I noticed something: I wonder if Marten is finally trying to follow his own advice?

Hmmm... maybe Marten is taking his own advice... or he simply has no clue what is going on. He could be lost in the pancake zone, which so many people are.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Blasphemer!

I only like mine plain (plus maple and butter) or with chocolate (plus some combination of maple, butter, and peanut butter). But then, I think the only other kinds I've made are apple cinnamon and pumpkin spice, neither of which are my favourite flavours anyway. I feel like I've had banana but I don't think I could taste it.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I don't think I came home before 11pm on any day over the last few weeks, so cooking then is out of question. We don't have a freezer, so keeping food for more than a few days isn't really possible. I also don't have an oven, and basically only one usable hotplate, which further limits my possibilities.
It's 1am and I am cooking right now. One of the upsides of living in a dorm.
Downside: I share the refrigerator and the freezer with three other people, so I don't have much space to store stuff.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Blasphemer!

I only like mine plain (plus maple and butter) or with chocolate (plus some combination of maple, butter, and peanut butter). But then, I think the only other kinds I've made are apple cinnamon and pumpkin spice, neither of which are my favourite flavours anyway. I feel like I've had banana but I don't think I could taste it.

Try either apples and peanut butter, or apple butter with peanut butter on 'em.

I had cornmeal pancakes a little while back that tasted heavenly, come to think of it. Wish I could remember where I got 'em.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I enjoy using peanut butter instead of regular butter and slathering it all with maple syrup. Mmm, so glad I'm having pancakes for my daughter's birthday tonight.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Possible. I also find myself wondering if Marten's so okay with this because the last few strips are the first he's actually realized he has a thing for Claire. I get the feeling that if he'd been interested earlier, there'd be all kinds of angst, as we've seen earlier, along with the second-guessing and all that goes with it. But the way things have played out, I can't help but wonder if he kinda stumbled into the head massage and thought, "Well, that's unexpected. But y'know something? This just feels right." And went with it for once.

I enjoy using peanut butter instead of regular butter and slathering it all with maple syrup. Mmm, so glad I'm having pancakes for my daughter's birthday tonight.

I've done that with waffles. Butter, peanut butter and syrup. My arteries must hate me. Oh, and bacon, egg and cheese with waffles instead of a roll.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

(click to show/hide)

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Marten is just like "She's right. These pancakes are much better."
He is isn't he? I imaging him thinking that in a Samuel L. Jackson voice: "Mmm-hmm! This is a tasty pancake!"

Damn, now I want to hear a sound clip of that.

"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

On Good Friday e.g. it's forbidden to dance to music and stuff like that, because it "contrasts the solemn nature of the day".
Wait, is this actually enforced? I didn't know Germany was particularly religious.

We aren't - it's more labour protection considerations. Even the 20:00 closing hours on weekdays were intensely debated, it used to be 18:30 when I grew up.
But why particularly on Good Friday, and why specifically ban...I don't know, fun?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well. It's definitely a relic from christian tradition.

Jesus, I've been craving pancakes for the whole week now, and I was so close to making some today. I would have had pancakes for two days, if it wasn't for my flatmate. I need me some pancakes! But actually I'd take any kind of food, I'm just plain hungry.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 17:24 by ankhtahr »
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

(click to show/hide)

I find it ironic that they're saying not to use Bisquick, but he's using Log Cabin "syrup" (HFCS, along with eye of newt and God knows what else). I always keep a box of Bisquick around in the wintertime.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

You all should try bacon-and-dark-chocolate pancakes.  Just mix some pancake batter, fry it, and add some bacon bits and chocolate chips as it's frying.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 18:12 by Smashwidget »

Penquin47

Y'all are really making me want to go to Waffle House today.  You know that, right?
I would love to go to Waffle House right now, but it's all the way on the other side of town and the effort of walking 1.5 miles to my car to drive it there is defeating the will to go there.

In other words, I'm being lazy.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Do you REALIZE how many PEOPLE there are out there who CANNOT go to a Waffle House because it is not only NOT "within walking distance" or even "on the other side of town" - but a FULL TWO STATES AWAY????
... but it's a whole 4 miles away. I have to drive all the way to I-35, and go like two exits...

... maybe I'll go there tonight and have breakfast for dinner.

(and, yes, I measured the distance on Google Maps. I had actually thought it was farther than that.)

This confuses me.  We drive everywhere here in Little Rock.  It's not unheard of to go try a diner three HOURS away.  But we're weird like that.

This is West Texas, too.  I thought it was just a combination of we can drive four hours and still be in our part of Texas, thus fucking our sense of scale all to hell, and the spread-out nature of the area.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

All this line of conversation on pancakes makes me want to dust off my special pan and make me some crêpes or even Breton buckwheat gallettes.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Breakfast aside, have we discussed the important part of this comic yet? Claire talks about Marten enough that Mom not only knows who he is but wants to meet him. He has made the mom list, and Claire is already on the Martenmom list. If Clairemom and Martenmom meet and compare lists their offspring will never hear the end of it until they date. :P
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I thought I mentioned that somewhere earlier in this thread...

Ah, yes, in the middle of some insane troll logic intended to mock the idea that Clairemom was stalking Marten.

There's going to be a Meeting of the Meddling Mothers if this goes on long enough. I mean, both Veronica and now apparently Clairemom ship this.

(I should clarify that that's not actually part of the insane troll logic, more part of the setup for it.)
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 22:31 by bhtooefr »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

No speculations along this line.  Please.

Edit:  If you don't know why, there's this http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,28457.0.html thread, and I'd politely suggest to read it in its entirety.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Damn!!

I'm out of Vanilla Essence!!!
James The Kugai 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Ok Why is claire sleeping with her boobs on. Has it been established that she has been hormones long enough to get substantial breasts? Or does the same super science that gives robots give better hormone treatments?

Global Moderator Comment This is no longer an acceptable subject for this Forum. Speculation along this line has, in the past, led to conversations that have boardered on Flame Wars. Please read the rules and follow them.
James The Kugai 

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Hasn't it only been about three weeks of comic time since Marten had a one night stand with D?

As much as I ship Marten/Claire it's rather hard to imagine that she's finished 'not judging him.'

EDIT

This isn't to say she doesn't want to, she clearly does but for people who aren't quite as chill as Marten questions come up. Questions like 'if you're interested in me why were you running around having casual sex instead of asking me out?'
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2014, 00:19 by valkygrrl »
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Hasn't it only been about three weeks of comic time since Marten had a one night stand with D?

As much as I ship Marten/Claire it's rather hard to imagine that she's finished 'not judging him.'

I don't see a conflict there. If anything the vehemence of her reaction may have been because what she was really feeling was jealousy, even if she wasn't admitting it or hadn't been aware of her felings for Marten. Maybe that scene was an early clue.
Also on reflection she would have taken on board that Marten wasn't happy about his ONS either.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I don't see a conflict there. If anything the vehemence of her reaction may have been because what she was really feeling was jealousy, even if she wasn't admitting it or hadn't been aware of her felings for Marten. Maybe that scene was an early clue.
Also on reflection she would have taken on board that Marten wasn't happy about his ONS either.

Always assumed she was jealous in that comic... think of it like this. You're interested in someone. They go have casual sex then soon after it's all hey want to make with the smoochies? A person who's less laid back is going to wonder how interested this person really is. Remember she didn't see Dora and Faye and Tai pushing him to go have a hookup. Three weeks is a short time to get over it no matter how much she wants those smoochies.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up