THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 220631 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I seem to recall Claire got the full story after she got in Marten's face about it.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Yeah, at least Marten told Claire that Tai had set up the ONS.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Quality pancakes are to be had from the griddle of Mr. Benjamin Gleason, president of Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 50 in Huron, Ohio, as presented annually at the Pancake Breakfast and Fly-in,

Vought V-173 or XF5U?

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Ok Why is claire sleeping with her boobs on. Has it been established that she has been hormones long enough to get substantial breasts? Or does the same super science that gives robots give better hormone treatments?

This is no longer an acceptable subject for this Forum. Speculation along this line has, in the past, led to conversations that have boardered on Flame Wars. Please read the rules and follow them.

There we were, talking about dating and cooking and pancakes, having a fun time... and then someone lays a turd in the soup.

There's always one.

However if the author would like to PM me, I'll talk about things like biological basics and how long visible pubertal changes take for girls (hint - measured in months not years). I can go all scientific, point out that Claire transitioned years ago, and so on without it disturbing anyone else's enjoyment. It's what I do, educate. No I shouldn't have to, but sometimes it's useful to do so.

And who knows, maybe I can make the long-suffering mods lives easier by heading things off at the pass without leaving bad feelings or unsatisfied natural curiousity behind. You know, not being a Richard, and trying to be a DHB because maybe, just maybe, I am in a position to help. I answer questions about rocket science too.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's a good job that one of the other mods was awake and not me, because that post would have gone down in flames if I'd got to it first. There's naive ignorance and then there's outright trolling. For anyone who is wondering, this isn't an acceptable way to ask for information. But thank you, Zoe, for the offer to educate anyone who is genuinely just curious.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet (I can't even find where it was discussed!) but a couple pages back people were wondering about Claire-Dad, and there was talk that possibly Jim could be the father (though I think that was concluded to be a 'no') but I was reading and found this comic that kinda proves that to be false: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2688

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Hasn't it only been about three weeks of comic time since Marten had a one night stand with D?

I've been reading some old strips too, specifically the stretch from the Lake Party to the Wedding and I've noticed that Jeph never really bothers to make elapsed time entirely clear. I mean, at one point, in-universe jumps two weeks (Marten arranging with Hannelore to go to the wedding with her to within a few days of the wedding when Hanners falls sick and Claire steps up). So, we can't really be sure how long ago the one-night stand was in-universe.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

st08

• Not quite a lurker

Yeah, the one specific time reference that I can think of from recent strips is that Angus expected to find out whether he would get a callback approximately 2 weeks from the initial audition. The audition happened after Marten's ONS, so there could be some extra time in between.

Also, I made blueberry/raspberry pancakes for breakfast today. They were delicious. I blame thank you all.

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker
  • Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello all and hello World!

This is my first post, so go easy on me....
I love the comic, and the story arc so far, but something has been reaaaaallllyy bothering me- What happened to Clair's Mom's glasses from Thursday to Friday? Has anyone else noticed this? Does she have a glasses cloaking device or some sort AR feature that makes them disappear! I know I shouldn't care to much but with all the Squeee, it's to much for my mind to handle!!!!

:psyduck:
When life gives you lemons, keep them, because Hey, free lemons.

Dale Carnegie

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe she needed them to cook but not to eat? (shrugs)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It's possible that Jeph just decided she looks better without the glasses. Or that the glasses made her look too much like Claire - more than one of us were briefly confused by her first appearance and wondered for a moment how there could be two of Claire.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That'd be strange, since Claire's not currently wearing glasses.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Hasn't it only been about three weeks of comic time since Marten had a one night stand with D?

I've been reading some old strips too, specifically the stretch from the Lake Party to the Wedding and I've noticed that Jeph never really bothers to make elapsed time entirely clear. I mean, at one point, in-universe jumps two weeks (Marten arranging with Hannelore to go to the wedding with her to within a few days of the wedding when Hanners falls sick and Claire steps up). So, we can't really be sure how long ago the one-night stand was in-universe.

That's what I used to count. The one night stand with Marten drinking with Steve and Angus as the night after that, two weeks for the callback, counted Marten shirt changes as days from when the callback was announced and then added a few days of wiggle room.

Call it a best guess based on available info.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

I expect they're reading glasses.  Presumably she wears them while cooking to help her see to measure ingredients and the like - I can flip a pancake just fine without my glasses, but it's damn sure easier to measure ingredients and see the little bubbles that mean you *need* to flip the pancake with my glasses on.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

It's not that it's cheaper, it's that a significant number of American workers, between the standard 40-hour work week, 5-15 hours of overtime every week, up to an hour or two spent commuting, and errands, are out of the house for 12-14 hours a day.  Assuming that you gotta get some sleep sooner or later, spending another hour or two on cooking and cleaning the mess you made while cooking just isn't feasible to do every day.

This. My wife is an emergency room doctor, and I work in a very competitive tech industry. We are both out of the house at 8am and returning around 7pm, starving and exhausted. It is far easier to call during my commute and place a takeout order at one of the 15 restaurants a block from my home so we are eating by 7:15. Afterwards we just throw away the takeout containers and I spend time with my wife as opposed to cleaning and doing dishes. I will cook on weekends when I have the time.

In this case, I suppose you can consider takeout "cheaper" from a time perspective. I work so much that my free time is 100% as valuable to me as my work hours, so any removal of free time to do unenjoyable or time-consuming chores is a net-loss. If you look at things holistically, everything can be expressed in terms of utility, and the utility of my time spent cooking and cleaning is worth far less to me than the possibility of spending my time doing other things minus the utility of the cost of more expensive food.

Incredibly true.

Equally true in the UK, yet without any 'eating out all the time' culture involved. Ready meals, stuff you can microwave, maybe.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

If you mean those microwave frozen meals, those are usually pretty gross, even by my standards.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Although they are cheaper than eating out all the time, and $2.50 of frozen meal, versus $5 of fast food... the frozen meal will be healthier, and won't even require leaving work to get it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You can make your own microwave meals. I spent three hours once every two months cooking and portioning up five or six different meals and then reheated them each time I needed food fast. Now I don't do that, because it takes me 20-30 minutes to cook a full meal and I'm home most evenings these days.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

That's a problem I have, actually: once in a while I get in a cooking spree for stuff like a succhini-pepperoni sauce to go with pasta, in large batches, but when it comes to defrosting them, well, I don't have a nuke oven, so it's actually tedious to use. I really should get me a nuke oven. (there was also the issue that the sauce oxydized a bit when I left it cooling off for too long - I should have added a spray of lemon to avoid that)
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Nuke oven". I like it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If you mean those microwave frozen meals, those are usually pretty gross, even by my standards.

You're missing my point. My point wasn't 'they should be eating microwave meals!' My point was that in the UK, there isn't as big of an 'eating out all the time' culture, largely due to ready meals and microwave meals, among other things. People in countries outside the US do have jobs with long hours and long commutes and yet still don't get takeaway meals all the time, one way or the other. It wasn't a criticism, just an observation.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

marbledmurrelet

• Plantmonster
  • mostly a lurker, though

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet (I can't even find where it was discussed!) but a couple pages back people were wondering about Claire-Dad, and there was talk that possibly Jim could be the father (though I think that was concluded to be a 'no') but I was reading and found this comic that kinda proves that to be false: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2688
According to this thread's Headcannon, it should be obvious who is - or who was - Claire-Dad:
(click to show/hide)
I don't have a signature yet, looking to acquire an affordable one.

BenRG

• coprophage

I don't know what the protocol is here but on a lot of other forums I frequent, it is permitted to speculate on what the next episode might hold.

I think that Jeph has given as a clue in this case, with the structure of Friday's strip. My guess is that next week is going to be a series of flashbacks to something that defines the current status of Marten and Claire's relationship for three panels before flashing back to the present in the Augustus breakfast nook, someone saying something in response to the story and Mrs A offering her views in the last panel.

Examples could include:
  • Marten recalling Claire's anger at him over the ONS;
  • Mrs A recalling one of Claire's gushing descriptions of Marten;
  • Claire expressing her fear that she can't match up to Dora or the other girls in looks.
At the end of the week, I think we'll have a cliffhanger of some sort.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2014, 12:02 by BenRG »
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Speculation is always welcome! I don't know if I see the flashbacks as something that would happen but hey, maybe.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

billandrews.jr1962

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Put me in the category of new poster who has read the strip for awhile.

It seems to me Marten has felt empty inside for some time not having a meaningful relationship with a significant other. My hope is he gives Claire a chance....also, I am really enjoying our introduction to Claire's mother.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I don't know what the protocol is here but on a lot of other forums I frequent, it is permitted to speculate on what the next episode might hold.

I think that Jeph has given as a clue in this case, with the structure of Friday's strip. My guess is that next week is going to be a series of flashbacks to something that defines the current status of Marten and Claire's relationship for three panels before flashing back to the present in the Augustus breakfast nook, someone saying something in response to the story and Mrs A offering her views in the last panel.

Examples could include:
  • Marten recalling Claire's anger at him over the ONS;
  • Mrs A recalling one of Claire's gushing descriptions of Marten;
  • Claire expressing her fear that she can't match up to Dora or the other girls in looks.
At the end of the week, I think we'll have a cliffhanger of some sort.

The end of week cliffhanger is pretty much a given. I don't see Jeph using flashbacks that heavily, though, probably to avoid overusing them. In this case, telling the story out of sequence made for a bigger surprise and the flashback was probably a way to lampshade the narrative ellipsis left by the nonlinear approach (sorry... it's the Lit major in me).
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, sort of new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

Oh god, I didn't think of Claires potential anxiety about looks. I know I'm super worried i don't look "girly enough" when compared to others.

And given her anxiety issues in general, that might be an issues.

At least Clairemom seems nice. I wish my mom was that nice :3
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

At least Clairemom seems nice.

She's only been in two strips and I already love her character. These last couple strips have made me a bit homesick.

Miaboop

• Plantmonster

I know, right? Kinda wanna go visit home and beg for pancakes now

GarandMarine

• Awakened

At least Clairemom seems nice.

She's only been in two strips and I already love her character. These last couple strips have made me a bit homesick.

Clairemom be like "No you come over for pancakes. Then marry my daughter. What you thought I was feeding you for nothing?"
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Dowry pancakes

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Miaboop

• Plantmonster

I'd like to say otherwise, but if I was thinking over whether or not I'd date someone, and their mom made me pancakes, it's probably a done deal. Though I'd have to be pretty 50/50 in the first place

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Breakfast aside, have we discussed the important part of this comic yet? Claire talks about Marten enough that Mom not only knows who he is but wants to meet him. He has made the mom list, and Claire is already on the Martenmom list. If Clairemom and Martenmom meet and compare lists their offspring will never hear the end of it until they send the wedding invitations:P

FYP. ;) (I know, I know.)

A bit off-topic - I probably won't be able to put up the WCDT for next week due to work issues (namely, they may not let me go home so I can do it). Anyone who wants to tackle it go for it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Clairemom be like "No you come over for pancakes. Then marry my daughter. What you thought I was feeding you for nothing?"

Just imagine how cute their reasonable number of babies would be *squeee*
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Breakfast aside, have we discussed the important part of this comic yet? Claire talks about Marten enough that Mom not only knows who he is but wants to meet him. He has made the mom list, and Claire is already on the Martenmom list. If Clairemom and Martenmom meet and compare lists their offspring will never hear the end of it until they send the wedding invitations:P

FYP. ;) (I know, I know.)

A bit off-topic - I probably won't be able to put up the WCDT for next week due to work issues (namely, they may not let me go home so I can do it). Anyone who wants to tackle it go for it.

I shall take on this Herculean task!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I love the comic, and the story arc so far, but something has been reaaaaallllyy bothering me- What happened to Clair's Mom's glasses from Thursday to Friday? Has anyone else noticed this? Does she have a glasses cloaking device or some sort AR feature that makes them disappear! I know I shouldn't care to much but with all the Squeee, it's to much for my mind to handle!!!!

Welcome! I'm going to go.with: The glasses fell into the pancake batter. Chew slowly and carefully, kids.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Welcome! I'm going to go.with: The glasses fell into the pancake batter. Chew slowly and carefully, kids.

Whereupon The Kiss will be delayed by several weeks due to multiple lacerations of the lips, tongue and mouth. And whereupon other characters get more time in-story, since Marten's dialogue will largely consist of interjections like "Nnnnmmoo?" "Mfffmgllommum," and the enigmatic, epigrammatic, "Aeergh houuuhn."

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Maybe I am getting way ahead of things, but it's not so much that I want to see Marten and Claire together...

I wanna see Clairemom and Veronica as the mothers-in-law. :-D
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

davedig

• Plantmonster

As for the cooking matter and the generation thing: I work in a kitchen. Mostly pizza but I do some cook stuff and since I do it for a living I'm often in the mood for short cuts or being lazy. Maybe if I had a non-culinary job I'd start cooking more.

I did remember something: summer interns. I mean how long have Claire and Marten known each other? I suppose the interns could have been introduced in the middle of Spring and/or they decided to keep Claire and Emily. Along with a bit of comic book time and so on.

Not complaining about possible Claire and Marten hook up of course but I remembered that at work.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It seems to me Marten has felt empty inside for some time not having a meaningful relationship with a significant other.

And pancakes are so filling.

Oh god, I didn't think of Claires potential anxiety about looks. I know I'm super worried i don't look "girly enough" when compared to others.

Her mother should have thought of that. She should have warned her. And why did she not wake her up until Marten was in the house?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

BenRG

• coprophage

Her mother should have thought of that. She should have warned her. And why did she not wake her up until Marten was in the house?

Because she knows her daughter and wanted to minimise the chance that she'd dress in her bedroom and try to flee through the window when she realises her crush is on the way to join them for breakfast.
~~~~

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

the frozen meal will be healthier
This is extremely questionable if it's really a ready meal that just has to be stuck in the microwave. Like fastfood, those usually have tons of sugar and fat in them (to make the taste bearable).
It's different if you buy just frozen vegetables, of course. Those will be like normal vegetables and have roughly the same amount of vitamins as none-frozen produce (unless the latter is very fresh, then it has more).

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Well, it'll at least be lower calorie count. And here, they tend to load them up with sodium.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Because she knows her daughter and wanted to minimise the chance that she'd dress in her bedroom and try to flee through the window when she realises her crush is on the way to join them for breakfast.

It's also possible that she figured that if Claire knew ahead of time, it would only add to the anxiety, whereas if Marten's being there was a fait accompli it might not be as bad (not saying that's a great way to approach it, but it could've been going through her mind).

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

It's also possible that she figured that if Claire knew ahead of time, it would only add to the anxiety, whereas if Marten's being there was a fait accompli it might not be as bad (not saying that's a great way to approach it, but it could've been going through her mind).

It's also possible that she didn't plan it out that much, as evidenced by how quickly she invited Marten over for breakfast.  She may have just decided "nice boy + pancakes + daughter = happy daughter."

Miaboop

• Plantmonster

It's also possible that she didn't plan it out that much, as evidenced by how quickly she invited Marten over for breakfast.  She may have just decided "nice boy + pancakes + daughter = happy daughter."

I'm not sure moms do that little planning.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

My partner and I had pancakes for dinner last night (Sunday night). It's all your fault! (It was awesome.)  :mrgreen:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up