THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 220638 times)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

It could have been even worse. It could have been "Marten <3" and have an embarrassing ring-tone like "It's Raining Men" by the Weathergirls or "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran.

FWIW, I think that the ring-tone for Marten is "Ape Man" by The Kinks. Listen to the lyrics of the chorus and you've got to admit that it sounds a bit like Marten.
Found a phone once, and several people called before I turned it into the carrier's nearest store; they all hung up when I tried to explain that I'd found it.

One of the callers was "Rape Boy"; I don't remember the others, but they were even less appetizing.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

25 pages.  Not a record, but a hefty thread. 

ysth

• capital eszet

There's still time.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet (I can't even find where it was discussed!) but a couple pages back people were wondering about Claire-Dad, and there was talk that possibly Jim could be the father (though I think that was concluded to be a 'no') but I was reading and found this comic that kinda proves that to be false: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2688
The speculation was Jimbo as the father; someone mistook that as Jim.

At least Clairemom seems nice.

She's only been in two strips and I already love her character. These last couple strips have made me a bit homesick.
Three if she was the hairdresser.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Marten would've recognized her.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

At least Clairemom seems nice.

She's only been in two strips and I already love her character. These last couple strips have made me a bit homesick.

Clairemom be like "No you come over for pancakes. Then marry my daughter. What you thought I was feeding you for nothing?"

I read that with the cadence of a Jewish mother, and yep, this strip is giving me flashbacks aplenty of home.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I'm not sure moms do that little planning.
Well, from what we've seen of Claire and Clinton, the rest of their family might be just as socially inept.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ysth

• capital eszet

Who says he didn't?

Update: I guess she does say "Nice to meet you".  Not completely definitive, but...

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Who says he didn't?

Update: I guess she does say "Nice to meet you".  Not completely definitive, but...

It didn't really mean she was is regular, hairdresser, though. He might not remember people as good as us, and she would have plenty of clients.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She may have just cut his hair the once, but trust me, that was not a woman you'd forget.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ysth

• capital eszet

I'm suggesting he does remember her; does anything in how he acts contradict that?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He didn't say "oh hey, you cut my hair! How goes the art exhibit?"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Are we trying to get this to 26 pages?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

We're not not trying!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Go page count go. :)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Ah, what the hell, I'm in. Let's do this!  :evil:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

GO-GO-GADGET PAGE COUNT

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Oh god the pages and pages. You people are crazy. Then again, it says a bit about me because "I have to read them all"  :angelface:

Here is an even simpler solution: Marten called to invite Claire out for breakfast pancakes with the idea of talking to Claire about things over breakfast.
Claire's mother insisted he come over and he, not wanting to make a fuss, goes with the flow.
That is very Marten.
Called a ground line? Nah, he'd have Claire's cell
Alternate scenario: Claire left her cell phone out, Clairemom saw an incoming call and, knowing she works with Marten, figured it might've been important, and picked up. Conversation was had, and pancakes ensued.
And it looks like we were correct. Also of note, we never specified a landline. I think that few of us even assume a landline any more and I am of the RUSH generation  :roll:

On the topic of french toast.
I prefer to make my own using thick sliced butterzopf soaked in well beaten egg with just a drop of vanilla.
Then on medium heat in a covered pan so it steams a puffs up a bit as it cooks with a flip and brown to finish the other side.
Then comes the Real Maple syrup or Marmalade or powdered sugar and cinnamon [yek-sis likes it].

On the cooking discussion.
I only cook when I have time and when I do I make largish batches and freeze meal size portions and store them in the freezer chest in the basement.
A freezer chest is a defacto needed accessory if you are time constrained for most meals and budget constrained for outside dining.

Oh god, I'm still reading comment pages ..... help

I've got the feeling that Claire's mother is currently in "Let's find a nice young man for my little girl" mode. There is a definite chance that, at some point, she's going to start singing the praises for Claire's home-making skills.
Or asking him about his homemaking skills if she knows Claire is domestically challenged OR insists on equitable sharing of household duties. aka a Good Man can cook and work a washing machine.

Oh god ... I give up ... still 5 pages to read .... I might catch up by Wednesday ....  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

On the topic of french toast.
I prefer to make my own using thick sliced butterzopf soaked in well beaten egg with just a drop of vanilla.
Then on medium heat in a covered pan so it steams a puffs up a bit as it cooks with a flip and brown to finish the other side.
Then comes the Real Maple syrup or Marmalade or powdered sugar and cinnamon [yek-sis likes it].

On the cooking discussion.
I only cook when I have time and when I do I make largish batches and freeze meal size portions and store them in the freezer chest in the basement.
A freezer chest is a defacto needed accessory if you are time constrained for most meals and budget constrained for outside dining.

Regarding French toast: the trick, I've found, is to very lightly toast it first. Not enough that the bread starts to brown, necessarily, but enough that it dries out. Soaks up more of the egg mixture, and gives the end result a fluffier texture.

Chest freezers... on one hand, wish I had the room. On the other, having helped my dad clean one out after a power outage (a cleanup that was compounded by the fact that he was away for a few days while the power was out), I'm not 100% sure I'd miss it. I've never smelled a dead body, but I think that freezer would've given it a run for its money.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I have smelled a dead body (not a dead human body, but a dead pig might actually smell worse). And yeah, a dead freezer can come close to that after a few days if there was a lot of meat in it. Even worse if there was fish in it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

You know why a chest freezer is so called? Well, when you have to get something out of the bottom when you're not really awake in the morning, and you lean over it with no shirt on...
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Just to throw some cheap tiki-torch fuel on the Clairemom-is-haircut-lady fire:

Haircut lady was very intense and handy with scissors.

Clairemom's son is missing a body part.

I'll just leave you with that.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, but that was from masturbating too much :claireface: fireworks.

Edit: Dang, you can't strikethrough an emoji.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

That's the story that Clinton tells, anyway. A fireworks accident is way cooler than "I wouldn't clean up my room so my mom cut my hand off."

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

He was masturbating fireworks?  :psyduck:
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

A fireworks accident is way cooler than "I wouldn't clean up my room so my mom cut my hand off."
...is it, though?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I have smelled a dead body (not a dead human body, but a dead pig might actually smell worse). And yeah, a dead freezer can come close to that after a few days if there was a lot of meat in it. Even worse if there was fish in it.

Try leaving a bunker fish under the seat of a hot pickup for a couple of days. :D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The WCDT will scroll out of sight, taking with it the good cooking posts, unless the authors would care to re-post them in the Cooking thread.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Edit: Dang, you can't strikethrough an emoji.

So there is a proper amount of fireworks to mast ...

Damn, everything has rules.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ysth

• capital eszet

How do you know?  We completely skipped his arrival at the house.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

How do you know?  We completely skipped his arrival at the house.

Don't think it's the same person. Even accounting for the art having evolved, the facial and body structure are different. The hairdresser seemed shorter and curvier; Ms. A is taller and more angular.

BobaTee

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Been reading QC for 6 years now, finally made an account here just to join the collective SQUEE-ing.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(Sorry if you've seen too many of these type of posts the last few days)

ysth

• capital eszet

Welcome, BobaTee.

Note that this is last week's thread that we are wrapping up a few things in (and also trying to bump the page count just a bit more).  Most people have moved on to the 2806-2810 thread.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Regarding French toast: the trick, I've found, is to very lightly toast it first. Not enough that the bread starts to brown, necessarily, but enough that it dries out. Soaks up more of the egg mixture, and gives the end result a fluffier texture.

Chest freezers... on one hand, wish I had the room. On the other, having helped my dad clean one out after a power outage (a cleanup that was compounded by the fact that he was away for a few days while the power was out), I'm not 100% sure I'd miss it. I've never smelled a dead body, but I think that freezer would've given it a run for its money.
I have used the "toast lightly" trick if the bread is too fresh and moist as well.
My sis reminded me about the Kaiser Roll version since a horizontally sliced bun results in two disks that perfectly fit the egg pan resulting in the french toast version of an Egg Muffin or Everyone's favourite coffee shop "Breakfast Sandwich".
[plus two thin toast-able crusts perfect for marmalade]

As for the freezer chest issue. Space if you have plenty of it or get creative and make space by hiding it somewhere since it is not something you go to every day.
I know the horrors of dealing with thawing food archives thanks to that power outage that lasted 4 days and covered a large chunk of real estate a decade or so back.
I invested in a portable Generator and my version of a transfer switch [its an electrical patch panel really] that either runs the fridge and freezer in the summer or powers the gas furnace in the winter.
It is high maintenance and requires an intelligent warm body to look after it when it is in use but came in handy after the ice storm.
One of these days I am going to get a real transfer switch and a natural gas generator as part of the furnace upgrade / replacement

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I have used the "toast lightly" trick if the bread is too fresh and moist as well.

My sis reminded me about the Kaiser Roll version since a horizontally sliced bun results in two disks that perfectly fit the egg pan resulting in the french toast version of an Egg Muffin or Everyone's favourite coffee shop "Breakfast Sandwich".
[plus two thin toast-able crusts perfect for marmalade]

ISTR a long time ago people used to recommend making french toast with stale bread, presumably to ensure that the bread was not "too fresh and moist".

Nowadays, though, there are  far too many preservatives in storebought bread for it to really go stale. For me, at least, it starts getting moldy well before it goes stale, which shows the downside of bread staying moist for too long!  :roll:

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

There is store bought and then there is store bought.

One is mass produced and designed for longevity of look, feel and presentation on a store shelf and is shipped in weekly.

The other is either made in-store or brought in from a number of local bakeries on a daily basis.
Here day old really is day old or where I shop 2 days old and starting to dry out since those artisan bags are designed to breath and let out the excess moisture from being packed fresh from the oven.

Oh, as an aside, in a different life I was QC in a small company that made a playdoh equivalent and made the discovery that the pine flour used as the base had some bags marked for a well know white bread manufacturer. The flour is listed as "enriched white flour" so consumers assume it means wheat when it actually is pine coming straight from the paper mills. The cellulose fibres are too short to use for paper are ground down further to a consistent particle size.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Oh, as an aside, in a different life I was QC in a small company {...}

You where Questionable Content in a small company? :psyduck:
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Quality control, perhaps.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Queen's Counsel.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Heh - if you work in a particular sector of an industry too long you forget that those outside your field have no idea what your everyday acronyms mean.  :psyduck:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up