THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 09:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Diner Thread, or where to get pancakes where you are!  (Read 9653 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Unfortunately, in my area (Newark, OH), there aren't really any old diners around. There's Bob Evans, which is a chain that's from around this region, and has breakfast all day, and there's IHOP, which is not as international as they'd like to claim or a house, but it does have pancakes 24/7. There's also Steak 'n Shake, which goes for a 1950's diner vibe, and mainly does burgers and milkshakes, but they have a breakfast menu (only during breakfast hours though) with pancakes.

One of my favorite diners I've been to, I've never actually had anything other than their breakfast, but it's fucking fantastic, is The Bomber Restaurant in Ypsilanti, MI. There's a few VW diesel events I go to up there, and we make a point of multiple Bomber visits.

For ankhtahr... http://www.diner-durlach.de/speisen.html

That's not a diner-scale breakfast menu, but they do have pancakes, and they are near where I remember you being.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

In my area there's a few chain restaurants, namely: Bob Evans, Perkins, Cracker Barrel, and Friendly's I guess counts since they do offer breakfast.  The only 24 hour diner (well there's two but one has gone downhill hard in terms of quality) is the Capitol Diner, which has actually greatly improved since it's been under new ownership.  I usually get an omelette when I'm there and it's always good.  Need to have me some pancakes sometime.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

bhtooefr, is Bob Evans any "relation" to Bob's Big Boy? I haven't seen one in ages, but I started seeing Bob Evans restaurants around the same time I stopped seeing Big Boy...

I'm lucky enough to live in NJ, which is arguably the diner capital of the country. Real diners -- by which I mean, as I mentioned in the other thread, they're open 24 hours, and you can get most of the menu pretty much any time you walk through the door. Nothing like French toast, fried chicken and a milkshake at three in the morning. :) We also have the usual chains here (IHOP, Friendly's, Perkins, Denny's, Cracker Barrel), and plenty of other little local spots that call themselves diners but aren't really (you can get the pancakes, but they close in the evening).

On a related note, I hate when I come across a particularly good place -- diner or restaurant -- either on a road trip or a vacation. In some cases, you know you won't be back for a while; in others, I've been willing to go back, but couldn't remember where in the hell the place was (insert conversation with my wife... "You know, that one place where you got that really good chicken sandwich!"... "Yeah, I know the place. Don't ask me where it is, though.")
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Big Boy is an unrelated chain, and there's actually two now unrelated Big Boy chains (Frisch's Big Boy being a separate company now). And, I forgot, there is a Frisch's near me, too.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

A couple of notable diners:

In Durham, North Carolina, the place to go is Elmo's Diner. Pretty much everyone in town eats there sooner or later. Good, fast and cheap. They also have a second location in Carrboro but the one in Durham is the original.

In Watertown, Massachusetts, the equivalent is the Deluxe Town Diner.

Also, not a diner but still good - the S&S Deli in Inman Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Good food, HUGE portions.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

A couple of notable diners:

In Durham, North Carolina, the place to go is Elmo's Diner. Pretty much everyone in town eats there sooner or later. Good, fast and cheap. They also have a second location in Carrboro but the one in Durham is the original.

In Watertown, Massachusetts, the equivalent is the Deluxe Town Diner.

Also, not a diner but still good - the S&S Deli in Inman Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Good food, HUGE portions.

A good deli is nothing to take for granted, either. If you're ever in NYC, try Katz's. Everybody goes to the Carnegie, which is fine if you want a pound of meat on one slice of rye, but Katz's is better and usually less crowded (and their pastrami is better by far).

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Egg Harbor Cafe, in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Georgia, is pretty awesome. (for breakfast)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Bob Evans is no relation to the Big Boy chain.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There's a Bob Evans in Southern New Jersey, I went there this summer for the first time. (Sarah's stepdad used to live in Ohio, so she knew of it).

Azir pretty much said anything I could about Jersey diners.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'll be getting my free Denny's Grand Slam (Pancakes, eggs, bacon & sausage) on Monday.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: The Diner Thread, or where to get pancakes where you are!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Oct 2014, 19:53 »

For ankhtahr... http://www.diner-durlach.de/speisen.html

That's not a diner-scale breakfast menu, but they do have pancakes, and they are near where I remember you being.

Well, they are fucking close to where I live. That's the same part of town (though it's in the industrial part of it). I already knew about them, but I somehow overlooked the pancakes. That "diner" is bloody fancy though (you often need a reservation to get a table). And it's expensive.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2014, 19:55 »

A reservation. For a diner. What the fuck.

In any case, seems there is, from googling, a small niche of American-style diners in Germany, some with more breakfast food than others.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2014, 22:48 »

One of my favorite diners I've been to, I've never actually had anything other than their breakfast, but it's fucking fantastic, is The Bomber Restaurant in Ypsilanti, MI.

That is literally a mile from my home.  I've driven past it, but never been.  If I go out for breakfast I usually go to Beezy's which is downtown ypsi, but is not really a diner, but it is amazing, and an easy walk from my house.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2014, 23:05 »

The OK Diner is a chain that covers a bit of a band across the middle of the country. Pankcakes are pretty decent and the retro 50's American theme is kind of nice.
I can't think of anywhere that I frequent in Sheffield that does them as standard but if they're up on the specials at The Rude Shipyard or Tamper then it's definitely something worth going for as they do a really good job of them.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 03 Oct 2014, 01:48 »

I only ever go out for breakfast if I have guests and haven't got any food for them (in particular I have one friend who laughs scornfully, albeit good-naturedly, at the idea of eating my vegan fare - he is a much larger person than me and eats a lot of meat so a cup of oats isn't going to cut it for him). There are a few cafes around here that do vegan breakfasts as well as standard meat-containing breakfasts, so that's always a good bet. One is a greasy spoon type place, the other is a slightly fancier deli kind of cafe. And there's a cafe bar in town with good food. I don't think I've ever seen anywhere I could go for pancakes though, except maybe Frankie and Benny's but they certainly wouldn't be vegan.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #15 on: 03 Oct 2014, 11:25 »

I don't even know where to begin in a thread like this.  I write about food for a living.  Need a recommendation in Arkansas or the Mid South?
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 03 Oct 2014, 12:55 »

Never really looked around for Pancake Houses or Diners that sell 'em

Make my own.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #17 on: 03 Oct 2014, 13:25 »

There's a great little chuckhouse diner right by my school that IS an old school diner and their pancakes are awesome.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 03 Oct 2014, 13:39 »

One of my favorite diners around where I live (Cincinnati, OH) is The Proud Rooster. Excellent pancakes and their specials are super affordable (and super delicious). I used to live about 2 blocks away from it when I was in grad school and I'd go there for breakfast and lunch a lot. I miss living within walking distance to a diner.

But I think one of the best diners I've been to is The Poky Dot in Fairmont, WV. It's not too far from where some of my husband's family lives and their food is freaking delicious. Also the atmosphere is fun. We try to go there every time we visit if we have time.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #19 on: 03 Oct 2014, 22:42 »

We have an old-school diner downtown called Tom & Joe's

I've never had the pancakes, though.  I hear they're good, everything I've had there is. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #20 on: 04 Oct 2014, 02:34 »

During Camp Eed we went out for breakfast at a pancake house and I was completely bewildered. They gave me seven different options for my eggs, four types of bread for my toast, and even multiple choices of butter. I cannot make that many choices before breakfast.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #21 on: 04 Oct 2014, 03:26 »

The first time I went to a diner again after Camp Eed I had forgotten everything, so when I ordered something with eggs, toast and a choice of meat I just froze when given all those options. I know what I like now so it's easier, but I still have to ask my boyfriend how I like my eggs sometimes because I forget what it's called (I think it's over medium). The best thing though: free coffee refills!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #22 on: 04 Oct 2014, 06:32 »

For me, eggs are poached, toast is rye...not sure what kind of butter I'd get but I guess that depends on what the options are, I don't remember it ever being an option.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 04 Oct 2014, 12:03 »

Flap jacks, hashbrowns, sausage and bacon, eggs scrambled.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 04 Oct 2014, 14:41 »

Probably one or two of the four or five Diners in my local shopping centre does them - never really looked.  Prefer their Steaks, Chicken or Breakfasts.
James The Kugai 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #25 on: 04 Oct 2014, 15:02 »

Two things I've tried to like and just haven't been able to: scrapple and grits. And it's not for lack of effort, either. I've lost track of the number of ways I've had grits -- boiled, fried, with and without butter, with and without cheese, jalapenos, et cetera. Each and every time, it just tastes like wallpaper paste to me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #26 on: 04 Oct 2014, 15:18 »

I've only had grits a few times, and they were always pretty good. Never good enough to go out of my way for them, but never bad enough to avoid if there wasn't an alternative. I've yet to try scrapple though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #27 on: 04 Oct 2014, 19:34 »

Scrapple is an acquired taste, mostly. I grew up with it in Pennsylvania Dutch country and I like it fried with a bit of syrup. I was introduced to grits when I moved to the South, which I also love. Proper cooked grits though, not the instant stuff.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #28 on: 04 Oct 2014, 22:38 »

No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 04 Oct 2014, 22:52 »

Grits are okay. Scrapple was okay too.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #30 on: 04 Oct 2014, 22:58 »

Born and raised in central PA and I still can't stand scrapple.  My brother, on the other hand, loves the stuff.  Definitely an acquired taste.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #31 on: 05 Oct 2014, 11:19 »

Are you telling me water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than in the rest of the grit-eating world?  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #32 on: 05 Oct 2014, 11:56 »

No, that instant grits are a processed abomination upon the world. And honestly, it's not like it takes a long time to make a pot of grits in the first place, so using instant makes no sense.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #33 on: 05 Oct 2014, 13:52 »

(It was a movie reference from My Cousin Vinnie.)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #34 on: 05 Oct 2014, 14:26 »

Corned beef hash, eggs over easy, rye toast (for diipping in the egg yolk), homefries (not hashbrowns) if available.  Biscuits & gravy at places that have good sausage gravy.  Too many places make it too bland... 

But a diner breakfast is a real rarity for me.  Most days it's a bowl of oatmeal at home.   :-\
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #35 on: 05 Oct 2014, 16:13 »

Are you telling me water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than in the rest of the grit-eating world?  :roll:
YESSSSSSSSSSS so glad someone got that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #36 on: 06 Oct 2014, 00:12 »

Grits are my standard breakfast in the winter when I need to be up and out of the house.  5 min in the microwave with some butter and cheese.  I'm from the north, which I guess makes it weird that I like grits? but my dad lived in the south for a while when he was young and he used to cook them for us (not in the microwave) when I was small. 

I do not have a standard breakfast order when I go out, which makes it take forever for me to decide. I'm also not locked into foods as being for a particular meal, so I am that asshole who will order a tuna melt for breakfast, or a short stack of french toast and a bowl of soup for lunch, or some other "wrong" thing that gets me judged.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 06 Oct 2014, 00:27 »

Wait you're not allowed to eat soup for lunch?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #38 on: 06 Oct 2014, 01:19 »

It's soup with a stack of french toast that's downright strange for any meal, and the french toast for anything other than breakfast is just strange.

Speaking of french toast, the Bomber (which I mentioned in the OP) has something interesting, Captain Crunch french toast. Essentially, IIRC, they roll the soaked bread in crushed Captain Crunch cereal. I actually find that their recipe is overly sweet, but some friends were inspired by it, and made it with finer-crushed, and a less sweet recipe, and it was OMG amazing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #39 on: 06 Oct 2014, 09:17 »

that gets me judged.
Fuck those people. French toast is always a good decision, no matter what time.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #40 on: 06 Oct 2014, 09:38 »

that gets me judged.
Fuck those people. French toast is always a good decision, no matter what time.

Or a Monte Cristo (ham and turkey on French toast).

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #41 on: 09 Oct 2014, 12:45 »

Is that a real thing? We had a Bennigan's open in my building last summer (after 15-ish years in bankruptcy) and people were all excited about the Monte Cristo. I kept reading the description and still have not wrapped my head around why that would be a good combination. I don't know if I feel better or worse, knowing it's not a Bennigan's exclusive, but something that may exist in the real world as well...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #42 on: 09 Oct 2014, 12:47 »

Monte Cristos are delicious.  I highly suggest trying one if you can find a place that has them on their menu.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #43 on: 09 Oct 2014, 13:18 »

Is that a real thing? We had a Bennigan's open in my building last summer (after 15-ish years in bankruptcy) and people were all excited about the Monte Cristo. I kept reading the description and still have not wrapped my head around why that would be a good combination. I don't know if I feel better or worse, knowing it's not a Bennigan's exclusive, but something that may exist in the real world as well...

It's a real thing, and not just a Bennigan's thing. They're very good if they're done right.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 09 Oct 2014, 16:51 »

Pancakes at my local diner were tried. They were quite good.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

Pages: [1]   Go Up