THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-readers  (Read 5642 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
E-readers
« on: 30 Jul 2014, 14:26 »

So I finally caved and got a Kindle Paperwhite 2 :) I really wanted a Kobo (either Touch or Aura HD) but these were not easily available.

First thoughts:

- I regret nothing!!

- The new e-ink display is incredible. Better looking than the previous generations of e-ink screens, with whiter whites, blacker blacks, higher resolution, no noticeable ghosting. I'm told from reliable sources that the Paperwhite 2's display is a marginal but clearly noticeable improvement on the previous PW.

- the "frontlight" works very well!

- The software is a mixed bag of goodies and shit. I have already (in the day that's passed since I got it) had numerous crashes and reboots that I suspect have to do with a known memory-leak issue.

- The hardware is solid but I definitely would have preferred a design for the back like that of the Kobo e-readers because those are easier to hold. The Kindle's saving grace is its lightness and thinness.

- Goddamned ads :x

- MOBI :x

Still overall impressions are good even with the crashes and I suspect I'll be able to resolve that problem :) warmly recommended.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: E-readers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:10 »

What's wrong with MOBI? Also my Kindle doesn't show ads probably because I never connected it to wifi.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:25 »

My e-books are in the e-pub format (some are in CHM :o) and the conversion is imperfect at times :o

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:56 »

I have a first Generation kindle and it's still working perfectly. I thought about getting a paperwhite but frankly, I don't have the money to spend on what would be a mere quality of life improvement.

Aimless

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:07 »

In terms of basic functionality they are, I suspect, about the same. That's why I would've preferred to get a Kobo or the like for half the price :o

On the bright side it took all of two minutes to get the special offers deactivated, I just had to explain that I live in Sweden :)

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:40 »

Out of curiosity, with an 8-inch tablet under 200 CAD, why an ereader specifically?

Aimless

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:13 »

Primarily because of severe glare when reading in direct sunlight. The incredible battery-life and the "frontlight" on the Kindle are also awesome :) I do most of my reading in front of a computer or on a 10" android tablet but I think that I will, henceforth, read anything in the epub and mobi formats on the Kindle.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:29 »

I tend to get a headache from looking at a LCD too long. I'm using apps like Twilight (Android) or Redshift (Linux) to make it better, but it doesn't solve that issue completely. Reading on a screen based on reflected light instead of emitted light doesn't cause these problems. It's just easier on the eyes.

I have a Sony Reader (T1), without backlight. It's fine. I don't need anything more.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2014, 17:34 »

That's what e-ink products are so good. It feels like looking at paper.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2014, 05:29 »

Not long ago, I discovered how to fix a minor but annoying problem on my Kindle, and I thought I'd share it here for whatever it is worth. I have the Kindle Keyboard, and I don't know if this will work with any other model.

I don't often use the wireless function, instead normally loading my books from my computer through the USB port. From time to time, my Kindle will stop sorting my Collections, and books within Collections, in my preferred order, by last date/time read. The fix seems to be to turn on wireless, and then go Home/Menu/Sync & Check for Items. The Kindle churns away for a few seconds, and once the sync is complete you can turn off wireless again.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up