• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This week on QC...

Now departing the USS MartenClaire *bell rings*
- 122 (56.7%)
Jephizba trolls us all, hallowed be the trollmaster's name.
- 32 (14.9%)
Spatheham and Clairemom Pancakes
- 7 (3.3%)
A solid week of Steve eating cereal
- 9 (4.2%)
Martenmom and Clairemom team up and fight crime/meddle in their children's personal lives
- 45 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: 09 Oct 2014, 22:04

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2806-2810 (6th - 10th October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 312660 times)

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

Cue the Clintorpedo.

Only 6?

Weeshery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Insanity at its finest...

Long time lurker, first time poster... SQUEEEEEEEE!

First question.
This double release, most probably was a easter egg or a human failure?

Neither. It was Pintsize trolling Jeph. Not that we're complaining... :)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Hnnnnnnng... Our feels can't repel squeeness of that magnitude!

Bravo I say. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Cochise

• Plantmonster

Failure:  Jeph published by accident.
Easter egg: Jeph is being generous to the feed subscribers and forum members who will have the delight of knowing the tomorrow strip.
"Everything will be forgotten and nothing will be redressed."
M. K.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Hose Goes Some Crow's Rose (supplying the words missing from the title)

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

*ahem*

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

And all other forms of exclaimed agreement. Thank you for listening. I go once more to the shadows of Lurkerdom.

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Next week:  Padma returns and a love triangle is formed.

Well, no, it'd be a love lambda.

Λ

A lambda of love.

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

Also, this is Claires first kiss right?

That's one hell of a good first kiss.

Insert Princess Bride quote here.

Also, this quote from the one and only Bill Watterson, which I think hold especially true given what's I've seen in the forum since I joined a week or two ago: "A comic strip takes just a few seconds to read, but over the years it creates a surprisingly deep connection with readers... Even in a few panels you can develop characters and express an outlook on life as the months go by and before you know it, readers are seriously invested in the world you've created... Readers do form an emotional bond with your strip."
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

So in other words, Marten is wrong.

I hope this doesn't mean we won't have a comic tomorrow.

Oh, we will. Just some of us have seen it already.
That's what I meant, I was hoping the second tonight wasn't tomorrow's, but I guess it was.

Just registered to post this, it happened once before when sven said he loved faye a while back when he miss posted by a day, it started with him talking to steve but then switched back to him saying I love you to faye. Sadly the next day it was the steve/sven comic again. So more likely than not no "new" comic for wednesday

Cochise

• Plantmonster

I'm waiting when the "professional relationship" will kick. Probably when Marten go back home and Faye asks if he banged Claire yesterday.
[Edit: I sure I was deleted the Tai circumstance. Trolled by my brain.]
M. K.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

My apparently ignorant comment. :/

Greetings, new person! We don't generally speculate on Claire's ladybits for the same reason we don't speculate on other characters' *bits... it's not generally considered polite (and can come off as downright demeaning). Head over to the Trans* thread and acquaint yourself with it. There's some very useful information in there if you're genuinely interested in getting up to speed.

Thank you so much for that. I didn't realize. I apologize if I offended anyone.

What about Pintsize Momo and May robot bits? 00101010101001000111100  :claireface:

I'd rather not speculate on Pintsize (I don't think we ever established where he got the Fleshlight). Momo and May's robo bits are already canon, if memory serves.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

Also, this is Claires first kiss right?

That's one hell of a good first kiss.

Insert Princess Bride quote here.

Also, this quote from the one and only Bill Watterson, which I think hold especially true given what's I've seen in the forum since I joined a week or two ago: "A comic strip takes just a few seconds to read, but over the years it creates a surprisingly deep connection with readers... Even in a few panels you can develop characters and express an outlook on life as the months go by and before you know it, readers are seriously invested in the world you've created... Readers do form an emotional bond with your strip."

This is even more true for me, since Claire coming out as trans gave me the courage to do the same >_>
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

My mouth is stuck in a permanent position of wide mouthed joy since reading today's comic. I am beyond happy. :)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Cue the Clintorpedo.
Ugh, not looking forward to that, and I'm not even sure exactly how Clinton will be an asshole, but I'm sure it'll happen. :-\

Weeshery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

For some reason I don't see the professional issue playing a role. If it does I think it will be more of an issue with Emily and maybe Tai. I don't know why but I don't see it being an issue. The only way I thought something would happen regarding that would've been with Marten or Claire but that hasn't happened so...yay!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

First question.
This double release, most probably was a easter egg or a human failure?

Human error, probably. Not the first time it's happened. Jeph did mention trying to build a buffer.

I'm waiting when the "professional relationship" will kick. Probably when Marten tell to Tai go back home and Faye asks if he banged Claire yesterday.

Faye will likely be happy for him, and I suspect Tai will be as well (though I'd be surprised if Tai doesn't call him out -- probably with tongue firmly in cheek -- about the whole professional relationship thing).

Failure:  Jeph published by accident.
Easter egg: Jeph is being generous to the feed subscribers and forum members who will have the delight of knowing the tomorrow strip.

C: some kind of bizarre meta-trolling by Jeph, since now some of us have to wait two days for the next strip. :D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Cue the Clintorpedo.
Ugh, not looking forward to that, and I'm not even sure exactly how Clinton will be an asshole, but I'm sure it'll happen. :-\

Clairemom will tell him to "stuff it, that Marten boy is a nice one."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jazzmaster

Did anyone else catch Comic 2808 getting posted on accident?

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

Cue the Clintorpedo.

To be honest, I'm not sure we will be seeing Clinton. I just wanted to make the nautical reference...

Weeshery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Cue the Clintorpedo.

This needs to happen. Clairemom has to just suddenly appear and pull Clinton away from Marten and Claire by his ear while scolding him and telling him how nice Marten is. XD

mystere9

• Not quite a lurker

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread before posting? ::)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

#2808 is still up for me, and despite not being The Kiss(tm) might actually be more squeetastic.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jazzmaster

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread before posting? ::)

Sorry, but there's only so many SQUEEEEEES I can wade through before reading the entire thread starts to feel redundant.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I'm still not happy about this.  Not unhappy about the relationship mind you, but just unhappy about Marten's actions over the last few weeks of the comic. 

A few weeks back, Claire tried to flirt with Marten, and it went over his head entirely, causing him to instead self-reflect about being at the library (and Tai's status).  In strip time, it was only yesterday!  Then Marten got replaced with some doe-eyed constantly smiling chill dude who somehow is doing all he can to keep the ship afloat. 

I know people chalk it up to character growth, but frankly it seems like Marten has been replaced by a pod person.  Not to say that Marten couldn't, or wouldn't hook up with Claire, but not like this.  There has been "no Marten" to speak of in the last two weeks - you could have subbed in any random dude and the dialogue would have made just as much sense. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Tai will give him crap, I'm sure of it, but purely in a friendly sense.

Both Marten and Claire having expressed concerns about the professional issues, though, may cause one or both of them to do something to remove the professional issues. As Marten said in 2808 (in a completely different context, sure, but...):
(click to show/hide)

Someone previously suggested that maybe Marten would leave the library, to resolve it, and also try to advance his career...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

#2808 is still up for me
It's there, but hitting Next from 2807 won't bring you there.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

eschaton has a point.....

But then again, I kept expecting jeph to pull the rug out by having claire wake from a dream all blushing and whatnot going "oh.... it was all just a dream......"

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Man, I find myself wishing I could make that speech.  What Marten did there is not something easy to do for most mortals.

Weeshery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Tai will give him crap, I'm sure of it, but purely in a friendly sense.

I completely agree with this. I can also see pretty much all of his other friends doing the same. The only one I can't see doing this would be Emily. She'd be happy for them (even if she did like Marten and it wasn't her just being her oddball self in prior comics) it just seems like the type of person she was. Even if it saddened her, she'd appear happy.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

#2808 is still up for me, and despite not being The Kiss(tm) might actually be more squeetastic.

2808 is/was/will have been/whilom haven been pitch-perfect. Am I the only one who tried to see if 2809 was there too?

I'm still not happy about this.  Not unhappy about the relationship mind you, but just unhappy about Marten's actions over the last few weeks of the comic. 

A few weeks back, Claire tried to flirt with Marten, and it went over his head entirely, causing him to instead self-reflect about being at the library (and Tai's status).  In strip time, it was only yesterday!  Then Marten got replaced with some doe-eyed constantly smiling chill dude who somehow is doing all he can to keep the ship afloat. 

I know people chalk it up to character growth, but frankly it seems like Marten has been replaced by a pod person.  Not to say that Marten couldn't, or wouldn't hook up with Claire, but not like this.  There has been "no Marten" to speak of in the last two weeks - you could have subbed in any random dude and the dialogue would have made just as much sense. 

If you start from the assumption that he's only thought about it in the last couple of days (comic time), sure it'd be jarring. But he's had much longer to think about it -- at least since the two of them dozed off in the same bed after the wedding -- and if you look at it in that light, it makes a lot more sense.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Cue the Clintorpedo.

Only 6?
For a moment I missed the "n"

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

This is even more true for me, since Claire coming out as trans gave me the courage to do the same >_>

I had to reply to this, and I'm amazed nobody else has done so. First of all, super congrats! Coming out is so dang hard, and I hope that artists like Jeph understand exactly how much their art can mean to their viewers. Doubly so when one thinks about trans folk and how few positive representations we have in the media-sometimes just the tiniest bit of encouragement can be exhilarating. For me, the *click* moment came when I found out that a former coworker was trans, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I had her to show me that it's possible to transition and be perfectly normal. So to you I say, good luck, and keep rockin' on!

T

Random robot. Robots are replacing humans one by one.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Jaw drops*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Wow. Just wow. I have only applause. We know not what rocks lie beneath the surf, but there it sails: the ship is afloat. And how!
Mistakes, ahoy!

T

Greetings, new person! We don't generally speculate on Claire's ladybits for the same reason we don't speculate on other characters' *bits... it's not generally considered polite (and can come off as downright demeaning). Head over to the Trans* thread and acquaint yourself with it. There's some very useful information in there if you're genuinely interested in getting up to speed.

What about Pintsize Momo and May robot bits? 00101010101001000111100  :claireface:

I'd rather not speculate on Pintsize (I don't think we ever established where he got the Fleshlight). Momo and May's robo bits are already canon, if memory serves.
It was a nerdy joke http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

T

eschaton has a point.....

But then again, I kept expecting jeph to pull the rug out by having claire wake from a dream all blushing and whatnot going "oh.... it was all just a dream......"
It would be funny if it actually happened just like that and them Marten does show up in her home and does declare for her. But it was all in a clumzy shy marten way.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It was a nerdy joke http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

That would explain the breeze I felt on my scalp...

Truec

• Furry furrier

Ahem.

Squee.

That is all.

Jazzmaster

So what you're saying is: he's acting too formulaic and not like his true self?

I'll admit it did seem like he was a bit off, but I couldn't quite point out what it is.  I don't think he's an entirely different person though, Marten's always been just Marten to me.  I do have to wonder where his attraction to Claire ever started, though, because it wasn't particularly hinted to at all until this point (which is maybe what Jeph wanted?)  There was the wedding arc, but after they both brushed it off the way they did, I honestly thought it was going nowhere.  Guess I was wrong.

Man, I find myself wishing I could make that speech.  What Marten did there is not something easy to do for most mortals.
Speaking form experience, I've found it much easier to ask somebody out (or make any sort of romantic or sexual move on them) when you have a pretty good feeling they'll reciprocate positively.  When you're largely unsure, as Angus was with Faye, then it's still worth it, you just have to work up a lot more courage.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Or use courage of the liquid form.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

I do have to wonder where his attraction to Claire ever started, though, because it wasn't particularly hinted to at all until this point (which is maybe what Jeph wanted?)
I suspect even Marten wasn't fully aware of it as it was brewing

ElsaStegosaurus

• Not quite a lurker

That was one hell of a handshake.

Also: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, Marten's one to constantly second-guess his relationships with women, and whether they're attracted to him, to the point of coming up with the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics. Plus, he had several rationalizations that let him put any relationship with Claire aside.

But, the tension was always there, and had been there since at least the wedding on Marten's part, and probably the lake party on Claire's part. Add in some alcohol, and Marten begins to realize that he likes spending time with Claire, and finds it more natural than he's ever felt before, because they trust each other and feel comfortable in each other's presence - which, to be honest, is probably something that Marten's never quite had.

Vicky felt the need to bail across the country from him.

The entire gag for the first 500 strips of the comic was about how Faye was physically abusive to him, and didn't trust him with her history.

Dora didn't give him a chance to recover from that, and shocked him into a relationship with her. And, while he genuinely did like her... she didn't trust him, ultimately.

Padma... he was never comfortable with Padma, and there was an expiration date on that relationship.

Delilah, well, that was a one night stand, so...

Claire? She trusts him, he trusts her, they're comfortable around each other, and in a moment of vulnerability for both of them (Marten being drunk, Claire having been forced to think about it by Faye), they connect. Claire realizes that she's been attracted to Marten all along, Marten realizes that he's liked Claire all along, and then the next morning...
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2014, 21:15 by bhtooefr »

Cochise

• Plantmonster

About "Marten" changes:
He is slow, but when comes to a decision stick to it. This is something repeated in recent past and said first by Dora when they are boyfriends, if my memory isn't srewd up. The Claire story was being cooked from a very long time, since the revelation and before. It was something we all see coming, soo, he isn't all out of character. It's not "some random guy".

But
He is not being insecure, (hey, not hand on neck) not asking for advice, etc. We can use the argument of the long cooking, but it's true, he is a little out of character.

But
This is the most sane relationship he face in all this years. Faye always had a trainwreck of issues and Dora/Marten/Faye was a very weird triangle since forever. (I really not remember how was Padma. What number was?) There was reason to he know Claire will be say yes and the other things are far more workable than Faye and Dora. So he have reasons to be out of character.
M. K.

BrusselSprouts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • kind of awkward

My residence is going to be treated to this for the next little while. Sorry for the crappy drawing my hands are literally shaking

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Oh, man...

My face is all wet, now. 

Dammit. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jazzmaster

Padma... he was never comfortable with Padma

What makes you say that?

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Well I can go to bed happy, I don't care if the rest of the year is idle breakfast eating strips, I've been waiting on bated breath for this since Claire started trying on dresses for the wedding.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Up