• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This week on QC...

Now departing the USS MartenClaire *bell rings*
- 122 (56.7%)
Jephizba trolls us all, hallowed be the trollmaster's name.
- 32 (14.9%)
Spatheham and Clairemom Pancakes
- 7 (3.3%)
A solid week of Steve eating cereal
- 9 (4.2%)
Martenmom and Clairemom team up and fight crime/meddle in their children's personal lives
- 45 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: 09 Oct 2014, 22:04

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2806-2810 (6th - 10th October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 312572 times)

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

[picture]

My residence is going to be treated to this for the next little while. Sorry for the crappy drawing my hands are literally shaking
You didn't happen to have that prepared beforehand, did you?   :mrgreen:
Mistakes, ahoy!

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Jeph Jacques.

You.

Magnificent.

Bastard.

Now I will have to find a redhead as cute as Claire. I was soooo happy being a single guy and you had to ruin it.

Well played, sir, well played.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

Gotta say, as my 20 minute lasting wide mouthed joy showed, I am beyond happy over what happened in today's comic, especially after how worried I was getting after yesterday's hand hold. I was beyond worried he was gonna say some, we can't cause we work together bull. But this, this is beyond magnificent, I love this turnout. :)

Secondly to say is, I think my experience with Claire is a good example for how it's possible to fall in love with someone, even a fictional character without realizing it. I wasn't sure how I felt about Claire as a character for a long time, I liked her, but I dunno, then this story arc started and how worked up I've been getting over all of this made me realize how much I've loved Claire the whole time. Now she's my favorite character, so.

Hounddog

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

SO

I just wanted to point out that tomorrow's (Wednesday's) comic has also been uploaded, and if you have no self control, you can access it by manually typing in the URL or clicking the link below

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2808

Note that if you click that link, you won't have anything new to read tomorrow.

It's pretty adorable though.  Can you hold out?

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

SO

I just wanted to point out that tomorrow's (Wednesday's) comic has also been uploaded, and if you have no self control, you can access it by manually typing in the URL or clicking the link below

Slow
Poke

TheCollector

SO

Slow
Poke

:claireface:

eschaton

• Furry furrier

If you start from the assumption that he's only thought about it in the last couple of days (comic time), sure it'd be jarring. But he's had much longer to think about it -- at least since the two of them dozed off in the same bed after the wedding -- and if you look at it in that light, it makes a lot more sense.

One could argue it's bad writing if you have a sudden divergence in a plot, with the explanation that important developments happened off page. 

It also just doesn't make sense considering Marten shares drama on the littlest things, like Emily kissing him on the cheek, with multiple friends. 

So what you're saying is: he's acting too formulaic and not like his true self?

Yeah.  Honestly it feels like fanservice to me.  Jeph knew it would be popular, so he decided to do it (probably around 3-4 weeks ago).  To the extent there was any foreshadowing, it was just so minor compared to what Jeph set up regarding Faye and Dora. 

I mean, I've been reading QC since almost the beginning.  This is just so disappointing to me.  Maybe it wouldn't have been as disappointing to me if I didn't start reading the forums again, because I would have had no idea that people were rooting for this, and probably would have perceived it differently. 

Claire? She trusts him, he trusts her, they're comfortable around each other, and in a moment of vulnerability for both of them (Marten being drunk, Claire having been forced to think about it by Faye), they connect. Claire realizes that she's been attracted to Marten all along, Marten realizes that he's liked Claire all along, and then the next morning... (And, the tension has probably been there on Claire's part since the lake party, and Marten's part since the wedding, I think.)

As I said, there's plenty of reason for it to happen, I just don't like how it happened.  Marten should have bolted out of bed, tried to talk to Faye about what happened for 2-3 strips, maybe tried to talk about it with Steve or Tai, and then done something.  There should have been some hand-wringing involved.  Maybe not about the trans thing, but something.

Cochise

• Plantmonster

Feye's head looked too much as monster poop.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2014, 20:31 by Cochise »
"Everything will be forgotten and nothing will be redressed."
M. K.

BrusselSprouts

• kind of awkward

You didn't happen to have that prepared beforehand, did you?   :mrgreen:

If I had something prepared I'd have drawn it way better than that.

T

What will Emily do with all the straw and twigs she have been gathering all week?

Cochise

• Plantmonster

Marten should have bolted out of bed, tried to talk to Faye about what happened for 2-3 slides, maybe tried to talk about it with Steve or Tai, and then done something.  There should have been some hand-wringing involved.  Maybe not about the trans thing, but something.
He can't do this without outing Claire or just faking half of the drama.
And besides, the thing happened naturally. There was no conscientious plot to freak him out.
M. K.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

SO

Slow
Poke

Slow...bros...bros...bros... :claireface:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half Empty Coffee Cup

I mean, I've been reading QC since almost the beginning.  This is just so disappointing to me.  Maybe it wouldn't have been as disappointing to me if I didn't start reading the forums again, because I would have had no idea that people were rooting for this, and probably would have perceived it differently. 
Time to mutter about quantum mood states and the observer effect.

EDIT: Wow. Nothing's going to top Method of Madness right there. We've done it. This thread has reached its apex. See you all next week!
Mistakes, ahoy!

Jazzmaster

Yeah.  Honestly it feels like fanservice to me.  Jeph knew it would be popular, so he decided to do it (probably around 3-4 weeks ago).  To the extent there was any foreshadowing, it was just so minor compared to what Jeph set up regarding Faye and Dora. 

You and I are in the same boat, then.  The amount of people who were apparently not only happy about this new couple, but were eagerly waiting upon it for several months, really took me off guard.

I don't disagree that if he'd kinda fumbled around a bit but then went for it, it would've seemed far more natural.  But like I said, when you kinda of just know somebody digs you (and you're a bit drunk...) it can be easier to make moves like this.  It's not really hard to see why he didn't act this way with Faye way back in the beginning, because she was sending him all sorts of mixed signals from the start.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Marten should have bolted out of bed, tried to talk to Faye about what happened for 2-3 strips, maybe tried to talk about it with Steve or Tai, and then done something.  There should have been some hand-wringing involved.  Maybe not about the trans thing, but something.

Hmm, I see your point but... there's always a 'but', isn't there?  To me, that description seems more like a set of character quirks, rather than a depiction of actual character.  I'm reading this arc as signifying some real growth on Marten's part - which isn't to say that the lovable/infuriating behaviours have gone for good, but that he may now have some measure of control over them.  A character becoming more than he or she has been in the past, in response to new challenges, seems acceptable.  To me at least - everyone is welcome to their own opinion on this :-)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And, Marten sticks to a course of action once he decides on it. If he decided on it, why bother Faye, Steve, or Tai, and also end up outing Claire, something she specifically requested he not do unless directly asked about it? He had nobody to talk to about it except Clinton, and let's face it, Marten's not gonna ask Clinton about that. (He didn't know about Emily knowing, and let's face it, Marigold or Pintsize would be a better source of relationship advice than Emily. Or even Clinton would be a better source, although not about that particular relationship.)

Also, as far as not feeling comfortable with Padma... he (and Padma, for that matter) were having an "oh shit, this is bad" reaction to them falling for one another, that ultimately resulted in them shutting each other out.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

He can't do this without outing Claire or just faking half of the drama.
And besides, the thing happened naturally. There was no conscientious plot to freak him out.

There's still the coworker/technical supervisor thing.  Along with her never having been in a relationship (which would be my major concern if I were Marten, honestly - there's so much pressure on you if you're the first).  Admittedly, it would be hard to explain why an attractive 24-year old woman hadn't been in a relationship before to his friends, but I think he could broach it with out outing her. 

You and I are in the same boat, then.  The amount of people who were apparently not only happy about this new couple, but were eagerly waiting upon it for several months, really took me off guard.

I'll admit, I'm not a fanfic kind of guy.  I find characters interesting on an intellectual level, but never find myself identifying with them, having feelings for them, or otherwise being involved.  So this whole fandom thing just seems alien to me personally speaking. 

Hmm, I see your point but... there's always a 'but', isn't there?  To me, that description seems more like a set of character quirks, rather than a depiction of actual character.  I'm reading this arc as signifying some real growth on Marten's part - which isn't to say that the lovable/infuriating behaviours have gone for good, but that he may now have some measure of control over them.  A character becoming more than he or she has been in the past, in response to new challenges, seems acceptable.  To me at least - everyone is welcome to their own opinion on this :-)

It's possible.  But again, how many days ago in comic time was the Emily Kiss arc?  Maybe 2 weeks?  Possibly less?  Seems like a hell of a lot of growth in a short period of time, given the response was pretty much "classic Marten."

Half Empty Coffee Cup

And, Marten sticks to a course of action once he decides on it. If he decided on it, why bother Faye, Steve, or Tai, and also end up outing Claire, something she specifically requested he not do unless directly asked about it? He had nobody to talk to about it except Clinton, and let's face it, Marten's not gonna ask Clinton about that. (He didn't know about Emily knowing, and let's face it, Marigold or Pintsize would be a better source of relationship advice than Emily. Or even Clinton would be a better source, although not about that particular relationship.)

Also, as far as not feeling comfortable with Padma... he (and Padma, for that matter) were having an "oh shit, this is bad" reaction to them falling for one another, that ultimately resulted in them shutting each other out.
Don't rule out the Emily-as-confidante possibility yet. She has a way of being that embraces and seems to embody going with the flow. Might possibly give the best advice if she's caught in the right mood.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

SO

You bastard. 

Well, anyway, I think that explains Marten's lack of overanalyzing pretty damn well. 

God, I haven't wept tears of joy in a long time.  Damn you, Willis Jeph! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

After cleaning all the squee off my clothes, I'll  just say one thing.

You can't say Jeph is letting QC coast while starting up his new comic.

I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Cochise

• Plantmonster

It is a very hard thing develop a character. You will need make it change, but stay the same. There is a Hard Line of Plausibility you never should pass, and the damn line is a moving target.
Marten/Claire wasn't a masterpiece, but we are expecting it to be?
And if not a masterpiece, Marten not crossed The Line to me. If fact was pretty good executed. I'm still waiting the moment he will freak out indeed, he is someone I expect doubt attacks in the aftermath.
M. K.

fire n ice

• Not quite a lurker

Jeph Jacques.

You.

Magnificent.

Bastard.

Now I will have to find a redhead as cute as Claire. I was soooo happy being a single guy and you had to ruin it.

Well played, sir, well played.

NEVER underestimate the power of a redhead.  Just ask my wife.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

You're missing the point.

Warning - while you were typing 8542 new squees have been squeeed. You may wish to review your post and add squee.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

billydaking

• Plantmonster

I'm still not happy about this.  Not unhappy about the relationship mind you, but just unhappy about Marten's actions over the last few weeks of the comic. 

A few weeks back, Claire tried to flirt with Marten, and it went over his head entirely, causing him to instead self-reflect about being at the library (and Tai's status).  In strip time, it was only yesterday!  Then Marten got replaced with some doe-eyed constantly smiling chill dude who somehow is doing all he can to keep the ship afloat. 

I know people chalk it up to character growth, but frankly it seems like Marten has been replaced by a pod person.  Not to say that Marten couldn't, or wouldn't hook up with Claire, but not like this.  There has been "no Marten" to speak of in the last two weeks - you could have subbed in any random dude and the dialogue would have made just as much sense.

You mean like the Marten in 2666?  Which led to 2672, and which was immediately followed by a surprise visit from his mother to go on a date, which led to 2702, with some important advice from Mom in 2703. Which was followed later by Marten's field trip with Emily and Samantha, which led to a momentary confusion about Emily's possible interest and wondering why it freaked him out so much (2769).

The relationship between Claire and Marten has been a slow burn ever since Claire came out to him and ever since the wedding. He's actually become closer friends with Claire than everybody from the library, including Tai. So, when they both got a little drunk and Claire revealed her crush to him and then pulled back, Marten finally realized that Claire might see him more than as a friend. After Marten, in his words, "processed" what happened and what he now knows about Clarie's feelings (basically, he hit pause and did his mulling about the possibilities), he decided to take the risk and call Claire. Yeah, he missed Claire's attempt at flirting, but don't you think that happens a lot, with Marten and most people in general?

Marten's character been finding a direction for a long time now, ever since screwing up with Padma. Yeah, it might be hard to notice, because QC has become a large ensemble comic, but it's definitely there.

Oneminutemonkey

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Long time reader, first time poster.
In fact, I registered just so I can say:
OMG OMG OMG OMG
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE
SO CUTE

I for one, am thrilled that for once we didn't have to put up with months of dithering and doubt and miscommunication, and that Marten finally acted on gut instinct. Claire's an adorable character, and I've liked her since she first showed up. And in a comic where we have regular lesbian and bisexual characters, it's still amazing to see the (arguable) lead of the strip falls for a trans girl and not making that an issue. So far, their few conversations about the topic have been mature, sensitive, and quite positive, and I'm just so happy to see this develop.  I mean, I could see the growing relationship and attraction between the two coming for a long time, and it doesn't come as a surprise at all.
So here's hoping we get some good stories out of the relationship.

Cochise

• Plantmonster

Warning - while you were typing 8542 new squees have been squeeed. You may wish to review your post and add squee.

This is butter AND honey/maple syrup?
You in the north hemisphere are very strange people...
M. K.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

But again, how many days ago in comic time was the Emily Kiss arc?  Maybe 2 weeks?  Possibly less?  Seems like a hell of a lot of growth in a short period of time, given the response was pretty much "classic Marten."

The flow of time in the QCverse often confuses me.  I must confess that I find this arc very resonant on an emotional level, and am definitely in the category of reader with a strong identification with the characters, which naturally affects how i 'read' Marten's responses - in that, he is acting in the way that I wish I might act in the same or a similar situation.

OmegaChosen

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's all this then?

Sorry to pull away from all the squeeing but just a small question: is Claire still an intern?

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Va-va-va-VOOM!

Sorry to pull away from all the squeeing but just a small question: is Claire still an intern?
As is Marten. There's no supervisor/underling relationship to violate here.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Hmm.

This is awfully gutsy and decisive for Marten.

But he does start out by saying that he had "this big speech planned out in [his] head."

I'm inclined to take it as, he initially launched into his usual routine of fretting and dithering and over-analysing, and then in the middle of that, he said to himself, "Aaargh, I'm doing it again!  Screw this!  I'm just gonna go for it!" and dropped his forkful of diner pancake to call Claire.

People do have those moments.  They're rare, life-changing, and awesome.  If that was what happened for Marten, I wish some of it could've happened on-screen; it would've made this seem less abrupt.  But we might well get a recap; I wouldn't be at all surprised by a strip where he's telling Faye, "...but then I just said to myself, 'Aaargh, I'm doing it again!  Screw this!  I'm just gonna go for it!'"

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

interesting that with claire, martin seems to have none of the boss/intern hangups he professed to have with emily.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Is that maple squeeeerup on those pancakes?  :claireface:
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Cochise

• Plantmonster

Emily's kiss -> wine with Faye -> hangover => Then day 1
hangover -> Angus' audition -> missed flirt in library -> bar -> "cafuné" => Then day 2
Pancakes -> Day 3

There is not any space for a hidden space of time, the Emily's kiss was the day before yesterday in comic time.

Well, 20 posts, my OCD is kicking me out of this for almost ten hours.
M. K.

vforvancouver

• I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

What worries me is that the technology to allow Tai and Dora, and Claire and Marten now, to have a reasonable number of babies isn't ready. Their kids will be totally adorable. Ellicott-Chatham Technologies better hurry up.

Also, that reminds me of this http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2379. I liked the original version more, where Mrs Vance tells Claire about how Marten is a prime age for having children, and how Marten and Claire's babies would be beautiful.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

John D

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

This is the way I was hoping this would turn out, way cool! :-D
Also...
Butter and syrup is the only way to eat pancakes/waffles.  :laugh:

Yaaay kissing!

danuis

• Plantmonster

MartenClaire banzai! :wow:

OmegaChosen

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's all this then?

Va-va-va-VOOM!

As is Marten. There's no supervisor/underling relationship to violate here.
Marten I'm pretty sure is an actual employee of the library and not an intern. He's not a librarian but they still pay him and the fact he's been there for a while means he at least has seniority over them, which can lead to some murky circumstances if things go south.

In any case, it's not like I just pulled that out of the blue. Marten himself brings up the issue in regards to Emily a few weeks back(I think a few days in comic time? At least a week I'm sure). I was just asking since he seems to disregard what he said in that scenario in regards to now.  *shrug*

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

That was probably addressed in the big speech he decided not to give.  I'm sure it'll be addressed (and possibly stressed over) at some point.  Tai will probably have some really unhelpful thoughts to contribute.

OmegaChosen

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's all this then?

That was probably addressed in the big speech he decided not to give.  I'm sure it'll be addressed (and possibly stressed over) at some point.  Tai will probably have some really unhelpful thoughts to contribute.
I suppose. I guess I just took his little post liquor speech of "I'm telling Emily that it's inappropriate for an employee to date an intern" too much at face value when he really meant "I'm not into Emily enough to disregard the employee/intern thing". :p

T

What worries me is that the technology to allow Tai and Dora, and Claire and Marten now, to have a reasonable number of babies isn't ready. Their kids will be totally adorable. Ellicott-Chatham Technologies better hurry up.

Also, that reminds me of this http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2379. I liked the original version more, where Mrs Vance tells Claire about how Marten is a prime age for having children, and how Marten and Claire's babies would be beautiful.

It should be possible with current real world technology. In case of Tai and Dora they could get a sperm donation from a relative father or brother to fertilize her partner egg. In case of Claire and Marten, Claire's mother could serve as surrogate mother and egg donor. Things like this are not new and have happened before.

Now if you want specifically to mix genes directly from the individuals in question them it is also possible but there is a great chance of bad things happening.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

interesting that with claire, martin seems to have none of the boss/intern hangups he professed to have with emily.

Perhaps part of it is their apparent maturity levels.  Claire seems a lot more mature/acts more like a competent adult than Emily.  Emily at times seems like she's a version of Sam in an adult body.

OmegaChosen

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's all this then?

It should be possible with current real world technology. In case of Tai and Dora they could get a sperm donation from a relative father or brother to fertilize her partner egg. In case of Claire and Marten, Claire's mother could serve as surrogate mother and egg donor. Things like this are not new and have happened before.

Now if you want specifically to mix genes directly from the individuals in question them it is also possible but there is a great chance of bad things happening.
Are evil genius babies one of the bad things?

Because I'm okay with that.

Penquin47

You do realize you suggested Tai carry Sven's child, don't you?  SVEN?  *shudders*

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I want strips with Tai rolling her eyes as they try and fail miserably to keep it a secret at work.

Which I won't get because Marten will immediately tell her and even if he didn't Faye would tell Dora who'd tell Tai.

But I still want to see it.

T

You do realize you suggested Tai carry Sven's child, don't you?  SVEN?  *shudders*
And the kid would be handsome!

Anyway I was thinking the other way around with Dora pregnant since Tai seems to be more masculine. Also sperm from older men is still functional so even a father would do. I think genetically speaking a father would produce a genetically closer child to what would be a child from the couple.

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

I want strips with Tai rolling her eyes as they try and fail miserably to keep it a secret at work.

Which I won't get because Marten will immediately tell her and even if he didn't Faye would tell Dora who'd tell Tai.

But I still want to see it.

Tai: I know you two are bangin'.
Marten: Buh... I... we only kissed!
Tai: Seriously? 'Cause I could give you the afternoon off if you wanna do something about that...
Claire: I HAVE TO FINISH SHELVING THE RETURNS THERE ARE A LOT TODAY

T

Emily's kiss -> wine with Faye -> hangover => Then day 1
hangover -> Angus' audition -> missed flirt in library -> bar -> "cafuné" => Then day 2
Pancakes -> Day 3

There is not any space for a hidden space of time, the Emily's kiss was the day before yesterday in comic time.

Well, 20 posts, my OCD is kicking me out of this for almost ten hours.
Interesting, you used a term that is unique to one language. More specifically a variant from one country. Have this word becoming more popular on the internet?

scarred

• Older than Moses
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Up