• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This week on QC...

Now departing the USS MartenClaire *bell rings*
- 122 (56.7%)
Jephizba trolls us all, hallowed be the trollmaster's name.
- 32 (14.9%)
Spatheham and Clairemom Pancakes
- 7 (3.3%)
A solid week of Steve eating cereal
- 9 (4.2%)
Martenmom and Clairemom team up and fight crime/meddle in their children's personal lives
- 45 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: 09 Oct 2014, 22:04

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2806-2810 (6th - 10th October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 312663 times)

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

Looks like Jeph had a bit of a change of heart.

Also, <insert squee here>.

Also also, as weird as it may sound, the fact that I've been single for over three years seems to make Clairten even more exciting for me. I guess the idea that someone like Marten (fictional though he may be) can get girl as awesome as Claire makes me feel like I have a chance too.

...that sounded much less pathetic in my head. :psyduck:

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

"I can't believe they're actually together! It's so romantic! They're gonna get married! And live happily ever after! And Marten will have a little sister brother-in-law! Eeek little sister Clinton!" - My brain re-writing comic 2705 to fit what my brain is feeling from these recent comics. So much cute and happy! :D

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Emily's kiss -> wine with Faye -> hangover => Then day 1
hangover -> Angus' audition -> missed flirt in library -> bar -> "cafuné" => Then day 2
Pancakes -> Day 3

There is not any space for a hidden space of time, the Emily's kiss was the day before yesterday in comic time.

Well, 20 posts, my OCD is kicking me out of this for almost ten hours.

You missed a day. If there are no gaps and the snake bite incident was day 0, pancakes are on day 4. There also appears to be room for a gap between 2280 and 2281.

2718-2737 (frog ceremony / may applies for jobs / snake bite / emily kiss)
Marten: green tee-shirt (destroyed in 2733) changing into Godspeed Your Black Emperor tee-shirt (2734)
Faye: sky blue camisole
Dora: gray tee-shirt
Hanners: yellow dress
Dale: The previous day's gray tee-shirt (2720) changing into Magical Love Gentleman shirt (2725)
May: The previous day's jumpsuit (2720-2722) changing into a white camisole (2725)
Tai: Magenta SMIF tee-shirt

2738-2771 (angus's callback / sven's come-on / dale's evening shift / marten and faye talk about sven / marten angst's about the kiss)
Marten: the previous day's Godspeed Your Black Emperor tee-shirt
Faye: red tee-shirt
Dora: gray tee-shirt
Hanners: White button-up over cyan boat neck (2738, 2757) changing into a pink tee-shirt for the evening shift (2759-2765)
Marigold: black tee-shirt
Dale: gray tee-shirt
May: gray tee-shirt

2772 - 2780 (marten and faye are hung over / dora decides on the svenectomy)
Marten: blue tee-shirt
Faye: teal boat neck
Dora: black boat neck
Hanners: teal tee-shirt
Marigold: magenta tee-shirt
Dale: green tee-shirt
Claire: cyan polo

--maybe a gap here?--

2781-2801 (missed flirt / bar / scritches)
Marten: green tee-shirt
Faye: cyan tee shirt
Dora: black camisole
Hanners: blue tee-shirt
Dale: gray tee-shirt
May: gray tee-shirt
Tai: White button-up
Claire: cyan dress changing into shirt & jeans

2803-2808 (pancakes / kiss)
Claire: white camisole
Marten: black tee-shirt
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2014, 22:42 by AprilArcus »

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Also also, as weird as it may sound, the fact that I've been single for over three years seems to make Clairten even more exciting for me. I guess the idea that someone like Marten (fictional though he may be) can get girl as awesome as Claire makes me feel like I have a chance too.

Do you at least talk to people?
(click to show/hide)

(Sorry, edited by mistake - Paul)
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2014, 23:52 by pwhodges »

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

Well my head just about exploded from this. I'm pretty sure my subsequent squee was only audible to canines.
Super-villain in training.

Fenriswolf

This is even more true for me, since Claire coming out as trans gave me the courage to do the same >_>
Oo, I missed this at first. Congrats/high fives for you Miaboop!  :claireface:

DrClef

• Plantmonster

So, seeing what was coming, I've archive-binged the comic over the past few days, and. . . well, looking back at it, there's been a lot of plot points building up to Marten deciding to grow a pair of non-gender-specific balls and go for it with Claire.

I mean, there's the Claire storyline, yeah, with Claire coming out as trans to him, the wedding, the growing friendship, etc. etc., but there's also been the side stories.

There's Dora and Tai, which cut off his lingering relationship with his ex and made it very clear to him that relationship was over.

There was Padma, where Marten pretty much learned not to fret so much about the future you miss the good things in front of you right now.

There was Dee, where Marten figured out that one-night-stands and casual sex-only relationships weren't for him, and he needed something deeper.

There was Emily, who helped him break down the taboos he might have held about dating interns. . . or, at least, Tai bringing up the subject really made him think about it and wonder what really would be so morally wrong about it. . .

And then there's the whole drama with Angus, Faye, and Sven, which is pretty much the whole, "lying and hiding your real feelings will make you feel miserable, but forcing your feelings on someone who isn't ready for it is just as douchebaggy."

Then there's his mother planting the seed of, "If it feels right, just go for it no matter how little common sense it might seem to make."

What I'm trying to say is that our depressed emo indie brat has been getting idea after idea planted in his head over the last few story arcs all pointing to, "ACT LIKE A GODDAMN MAN FOR ONCE."

. . . and watch, after all this warm feelings and sunshine, Jeff is going to pull the rug out from under all of us by having Marten die in a car accident on the way home or some fucking shit, God Forbid. :(

T

Growing balls tale time...

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

Am I supposed to be able to see two new strips???

OMG I'm so happy right now. SQUEE doesn't even cover this!
SO FLUFFY!

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

(click to show/hide)

If by "talk to people" you mean be a third wheel with my roommate and his not-quite-girlfriend and spend a lot of time swiping through Tinder, then yes. >.> Relationships are hard when you don't have a place where you can go hang out with people your age (or can't stand going to bars).

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Only 10 pages ? You should feel ashamed of yourself, all of you !  :-D
Carpe Diem

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Wow; after Faye/Angus and Marigold/Dale, this was refreshingly simple and drama-free. It even beats Dora/Tai, and the only drama there was going on one date with Jim first.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Maybe its easier to talk about horrible things than happy ones sometimes  - or big goofy grins instead of words, words, words :-D

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Wow; after Faye/Angus and Marigold/Dale, this was refreshingly simple and drama-free. It even beats Dora/Tai, and the only drama there was going on one date with Jim first.

It's the calm before the storm. Now that we have a new happy couple it's time for Angus to move away and for the Dorapocalypse.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Ah, Jeph! You warm the cockles of an old romantic's heart!

Still, like others, this has the feel to me of something that Marten has been working towards for some time. I think that the immediate cause was his mother starting a relationship with Jim. However, its roots, IMHO, can be traced back to his conversation with Lt Porter about not over-thinking things. This was backed up by Pintsize of all people. I just think that, after so many people around him have found love by going with their feelings that he has decided that it is safe to do the same.

Now the hard part starts: Starting a relationship is easy; the early honeymoon period is easy. Maintaining it and making it grow healthily is hard and their particular circumstances can only make it harder. Still, he got one thing right:

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

It's the calm before the storm. Now that we have a new happy couple it's time for Angus to move away and for the Dorapocalypse.
Dorapocalypse? Don't you mean, the alpacalypse?  :claireface: :claireface:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I can think of at least three good reason for Claire to have trouble trusting someone. Her courage is more noteworthy than Marten's sudden eptitude.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

Maybe its easier to talk about horrible things than happy ones sometimes  - or big goofy grins instead of words, words, words :-D

I think that was sarcasm bro.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Tolf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

This is going to give someone a heart attack. It's finally happening after so much suspense. I've been waiting for this since claire was first introduced.  :mrgreen: Jeph is giving people what they want. I'll be heartbroken when they inevitably break up. No couples last forever in QC.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Yep, I assumed that it was ;-)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

(click to show/hide)

Is that Watamote(I've watched part of the anime, but wasn't aware of a manga.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I can squeee again if it makes you feel better.

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Dorapocalypse? Don't you mean, the alpacalypse?  :claireface: :claireface:

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

The first email I got at work today (spam) was "The Apocalypse has begun".  I'm keeping it for future reference and /or legal action if the Apocalypse doesn't, actually, begin.

BenRG

• coprophage

Regarding Emily, I think we're all underestimating just how deliriously happy she's going to be that her two favourite people are in a relationship. So happy that getting her to leave them alone for one damn minute will be hard.  :lol:

If anyone will be sceptical, I think that it will be Dora. She is protective of Marten, fairly anxious in nature and, I think, doesn't have confidence in his decision-making. I wonder if she'll have a fight with Tai on the subject.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 00:13 by BenRG »
~~~~

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

So, yes, squeeeeeeee indeed.
Marten making the first move: unprecedented. So, yes, he is growing.
Now to see how Jeph handles the romance.
Signature OF DOOM!

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, he tried making the first move with Lt. Potter as well.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Also, SQUEEE!

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Finally!

AND IT'S ONLY TUESDAY

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Well, he tried making the first move with Lt. Potter as well.

And he asked D for makeouts don't forget. He appears perfectly willing to make the first move when he's had a little liquid courage first and when you consider he had the same before making the first move on Claire its perfectly within character. Today he was already over that hurdle and it was just a matter of making sure she knew it wasn't the booze talking.

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

So because we saw two strips today does that mean we won't be getting one tomorrow?
SO FLUFFY!

davedig

• Plantmonster

My reaction to the strips was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j0lO7uQBo&feature=player_detailpage#t=18

The theme music of all these build ups was the one used from the latest Godzilla movie when he gets up and swims back into the sea. Such wonderful development for Marten and Claire.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

So because we saw two strips today does that mean we won't be getting one tomorrow?

Revealing tomorrow's strip on the site was probably a technical glitch, so yes, we won't get a new one tomorrow, barring another glitch.

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

Revealing tomorrow's strip on the site was probably a technical glitch, so yes, we won't get a new one tomorrow, barring another glitch.

awww dam. I'm happy I saw it but now I have nothing to look forward to tomorrow haha
SO FLUFFY!

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

interesting that with claire, martin seems to have none of the boss/intern hangups he professed to have with emily.

This keeps coming up. It was an excuse, a rationalisation for not being interested in Emily without having to say anything personally disrespectful like "she's too weird".
He's also been mentally blocking his attraction to Claire, and I think Claire was doing the same in 2796 - my interpretation of which was that she likes Marten but doesn't want to admit it, possibly even to herself but certainly not to anyone else,  so again the "professional relationship" stuff was a smoke screen of rationalization.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Actually it was Tai who brought ethics into it http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2737 and Marten doesn't look happy when she does. Could be he was thinking of Claire at the time.

BenRG

• coprophage

Actually it was Tai who brought ethics into it http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2737 and Marten doesn't look happy when she does. Could be he was thinking of Claire at the time.

I found this strip particularly funny because it was clear that even Tai wasn't particularly impressed by the implied rule and its' implications for Marten's personal life. Marten's reaction (basically "D'oh! Another unwritten rule for me to follow!") showed that, even then, Faye and Tai had planted in his mind the seeds of his wondering about the Intern Girls on a romantic level.

Or, alternately, it was a bonus for feed subscribers and forum members (who could be relied upon to pass the word). That said, no, I don't think that there will be a new strip tomorrow, just a public release of strip 2808.

I actually think that Thursday and Friday's strips will be the start of a new arc or some fillers. Maybe we can find out what happened to May (I'm thinking several exploded bottles of maple syrup on the store's shelves that she foolishly cleaned up without putting on gloves first). Maybe some Steve and Cosette domesticity. Maybe Angus will return and he and Faye will set records for avoiding the elephant sitting in the middle of the room. Or maybe we can peek in on some of the secondary characters for a few strips.

The point is that, for now at least, the Marten-Claire arc is at good point where it can be allowed to lie for a while. The camera can zoom out with them sitting on the Augustus home's porch, holding each other and simply basking in being together and then fade to the commercial break. We may see their first day at work as a couple (possibly with Tai, tongue only partly in cheek, telling them "No make-outs in the stacks! The students are bad enough!"). However, I think we an move away from them in the strip for a while.

I suspect that the next major arc with them will likely be their first date as a couple. This will include plenty of Sims-esque wardrobe selection strips and some classic QC snark being thrown at popular culture and the proper protocol for 'dates' when you already know someone pretty well. However, that won't happen for a while.
~~~~

Gnomeybum

• Not quite a lurker

Omg omg omg omg. This was better than I ever dared hope.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Note that if you click that link, you won't have anything new to read tomorrow.

I wouldn't say that. The Young protectors updates Wednesdays, and so does XKCD.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

IIRC when Marten and Dora united, the thread about it had hit 35 pages in no time.  :-D

Thats why this was rather meager in comparison.  8-)

Hey ! I was joking around ! Not sarcastic ! I even put the right smiley there !!!

Hmm I only saw one strip today.
Carpe Diem

LackOfGrace

• Not quite a lurker

Obligatory
Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BenRG

• coprophage

Hmm I only saw one strip today.

You can't directly access it from the site's interface, you need to manually enter its address into the address bar. You can wait 24 hours or PM me for the address to copy-and-paste.
~~~~

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I think genetically speaking a father would produce a genetically closer child to what would be a child from the couple.

The father shares exactly half of the genes of his child, the brother shares on average half of the genes of his sister. In either case on average half the genes passed on would be genes shared with the prospective parent.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

BenRG

• coprophage

I think genetically speaking a father would produce a genetically closer child to what would be a child from the couple.

The father shares exactly half of the genes of his child, the brother shares on average half of the genes of his sister. In either case on average half the genes passed on would be genes shared with the prospective parent.

Then there is the whole dominant vs. recessive genes issue too that enable you to inherit a majority of physical characteristics from your mother or even your grandparents.

With respect to the Augustus family, I'm thinking that Mr Augustus was probably either a blond or a redhead with blue or green eyes too; those are recessive traits and both parents sharing them would make it far more likely that they would be inherited by the two children. That said, if Hannelore's dad is working on that technology (and I'm sure he is), any Marten + Claire children would be more likely to have black hair as it is a dominant trait and more likely to be expressed in any offspring than red hair.
~~~~

Alkahest

• Emoticontraindication

Kick. Ass.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I did a happy pillow hug, rocking back and forth. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

What worries me is that the technology to allow Tai and Dora, and Claire and Marten now, to have a reasonable number of babies isn't ready. Their kids will be totally adorable. Ellicott-Chatham Technologies better hurry up.

The technology that Ellicott-Chatham is working on may only apply when at least one partner can produce eggs. Real-world technology exists to fertilize an egg without sperm (although I don't believe it's been proven to be viable yet), and has since 2001: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1431489.stm

However, without ovaries to produce an egg, this becomes harder. (IIRC, essentially what has to be done is, get a donor egg, REMOVE the DNA from it, add the DNA from one sperm (better make sure it's an X somehow, too, you don't want to end up with a YY baby), which would be absurdly difficult. Then fertilize that egg.) I mean, it's hypothetically possible, but...
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 03:27 by bhtooefr »

BenRG

• coprophage

The technology that Ellicott-Chatham is working on may only apply when at least one partner can produce eggs. Real-world technology exists to fertilize an egg without sperm (although I don't believe it's been proven to be viable yet), and has since 2001: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1431489.stm

However, without ovaries to produce an egg, this becomes harder. (IIRC, essentially what has to be done is, get a donor egg, REMOVE the DNA from it, add the DNA from one sperm (better make sure it's an X somehow, too, you don't want to end up with a YY baby), which would be absurdly difficult. Then fertilize that egg.) I mean, it's hypothetically possible, but...

Of course invisible self-aware fighter-bombers, anthropomorphic AIs and town-sized permanently-crewed space stations with artificial gravity are also absurdly difficult and expensive, yet E-C seem to have achieved them. I've seen things in the strip that suggest a transition in the QC-verse might involve the use of nanorobots to restructure the subject's body in ways a RL transition could never do without hideously expensive re-constructive surgery and organ transplants over a period of several years. However, I think discussion of that would be out of place due to forum rules.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 03:52 by BenRG »
~~~~

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up